• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

It's been a very long time but I think Pikablu actually predated Marill being unveiled. There were all sorts of weird urban legends in those early internet days like the "pokegods", Bill's mysterious garden, and various ways to capture Yoshi in R/B/Y.
Wasn't the Yoshi thing a prank a magazine ran for April's Fools?

Wasn't the Yoshi thing a prank a magazine ran for April's Fools?
Now that you mention it, I believe so. Variants spread like crazy on the 'net for a while there.
The early Pokémon fandom was pretty wild in general, though; I'm sure older fans remember the rumor that Butterfree died in the Japanese version of the anime (addressed, I believe, in Dogasu's page on that episode).

Last edited:
The Orange Islands: Home to Shinies and Regional Variants LONG before Shinies and Regional Variants!
(the Ghost of Shudo must be furious he didn't get anything out of those)

And sometimes I get the feeling that Crystal Onyx was a precursor to Steelix (and Steel-types in general?) due to withstanding water, but weak against fire. :unsure:

Last edited:
And sometimes I get the feeling that Crystal Onyx was a precursor to Steelix (and Steel-types in general?) due to withstanding water, but weak against fire.
Maybe, or maybe not. I do know that the Steel-Type was revealed before Dark, with them making a big deal of how new the type was (and "Yoroidori"/Skarmory), and Steelix being finalized by that time.

I wonder if they wanted to use Steelix...

The Orange Islands: Home to Shinies and Regional Variants LONG before Shinies and Regional Variants!
(the Ghost of Shudo must be furious he didn't get anything out of those)

And sometimes I get the feeling that Crystal Onyx was a precursor to Steelix (and Steel-types in general?) due to withstanding water, but weak against fire.

Don't forget Double Battle (officially rather than just an exception for battling criminals).

Fitting that the post before mine is on MMPRs source material as Dogasu covered an episode full of Pink Energy. Too much of which is dangerous: Japanese Episode 088

As Suede points out incidentally:
1. This aside (mostly) why are restricted areas in the anime not barricaded or full of no trespassing signs?

2. Why does the Pink Pokémon have to be a secret? Just mass produce the berries advertising their change to the Pokémon and the poaching value decreases greatly.

This is a super minor change that I ordinarily wouldn't bother bringing up except for that fact that I've seen certain fans online try to use the dub line as "evidence" that Ash loves Misty because her name is the only (human) one he brings up.

But to be fair how many cared for Tracey :LOL: ? Heck as of BW he stopped appearing whenever we see Pallet.

Kadabra Spoon Removal? Really?

This episode's animation was directed by Toshiya Yamada who became the Chief Animation Director for the rest of the original series around the time of this episode's production I think.

Really interesting comparison, and yeesh were there a lot of dialogue changes. Not that that's a surprise haha, but that poor reporter (and....pretty much everyone else).

Also:

Reporter: "Now, a shocking revelation as this deranged old man claims responsibility for these brutal attacks."

Ouch. :x As a kid I hardly paid much attention to this bit but seeing it now, as an adult in modern times, completely baffles me.

"We've just found another fossil" implies that this team has found Kabuto fossils before but nothing else in the episode really supports that claim.
TB091_2.jpg

I... I think "another" means "in addition to this one"...

Speaking of Team Rocket's Japanese motto, does anyone exactly know how it got mangled so badly in the dub? I mean, obviously most of it was rewritten from the ground up but "to denounce the evils of truth and love" seems clearly derived from the Japanese 愛と真実の悪をつらぬく, except I still have no idea how they got "denounce" from つらぬく. That particular line seems to have had its meaning completely reversed and I really wonder what happened translation-wise.

Dialogue length, maybe?
I suppose. "To stand by the evils of love and truth" (how Bulbapedia translates it) would have been the same number of syllables, though. I guess they thought "denounce" fit the specific lip movements better? Well, I guess it didn't really end up mattering much. But it does stick out to me.

Dogasu thank you for translating the Pia interviews with the TRio seiyuu. I agree they were SO insightful, and said such a lot without saying much at all. You can tell that all three are pissed at the lack of/poor quality screen time they got in the movie, and I love how each one's responses reflect that irritation in different ways that are almost parallel to their own characters! Megumi is quite openly annoyed but gives a bit more away because of that, Miki answers as if he'd rather be doing anything else, and Inuko is trying to be diplomatic but also can't help but suggest they get their own movie or AT LEAST a short, LOL.

(It's also special to me as the only time I recall that Megumi has brought up Guardie and Kojiro as one of her favourite eps :p)

Two things about Kabuto episode:

PXTV, the channel that reporter is working for, is a based on TXTV a.k.a. TV Tokyo.
As an archaeologist, I have to say that fossils are a specialty of paleontology.

You know, to those smitten by the Japanese language's awesomeness, it's really cool that you have begun actually adding full Japanese text of the original Japanese dialog to contrast against the 4kids dub edits in English.
I'm loving these Orange Islands comparisons. Way to go Dogasu-sensei!
I just hope that the "Japanese Version" of the Kanto episodes also get real Japanese text as the Orange Islands ones are now getting.
It's time for an update!

Back
Top Bottom