• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Non-Mafia Codenames II: Pokemon Edition

Calvinッ

Ongo Gablogian, the art collector
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Most of the following is taken word for word from the last Codenames game.

Two rival spymasters know the secret identities of 25 agents. Their teammates know the agents only by their CODENAMES.
In Codenames, two teams compete to see who can make contact with all of their agents first. Spymasters give one-word clues that can point to multiple words on the board. Their teammates try to guess words of the right color while avoiding those that belong to the opposing team. And everyone wants to avoid the assassin (AKA the protagonist for this game).
Codenames: Win or lose, it's fun to figure out the clues.

Hello TWR, and welcome to my latest game, a non mafia game named Codenames II: Pokemon Edition, a sequel to my last Codenames game, located here. This is based of a real board game (-here) that I'm going to be hosting on the forum here. In Codenames, two teams compete by each having a Spymaster give one word clues which c-an point to multiple words on the board. The other players on the team attempt to guess their team's words while avoiding the words of the other team.

Let's get straight into the rules:
Players split into two teams: Team Aqua & Team Magma . One player of each team is selected as the team's spymaster; the others are field operatives.

Twenty-five code name cards, each bearing a word, are laid out in a 5×5 rectangular grid, in random order. A number of these words represent Magma (or red) agents, a number represent Aqua (or blue) agents, one represents The Protagonist, and the others represent innocent bystanders.

The teams' spymasters are given a randomly-dealt map card showing a 5×5 grid of 25 squares of various colors, each corresponding to one of the code name cards on the table. Teams take turns. On each turn, the appropriate spymaster gives a verbal hint about the words on the respective cards. Each hint may only consist of one single word and a number. The spymaster gives a hint that is related to as many of the words on his/her own agents' cards as possible, but not to any others – lest they accidentally lead their team to choose a card representing an innocent bystander, an opposing agent, or the protagonist.

The hint's word can be chosen freely, as long as it is not (and does not contain) any of the words on the code name cards still showing at that time, rhyming words are not allowed.

We are playing this game with one-word clues, no abbreviations and no hyphenates. The Scrabble dictionary is the official arbiter of closed compounds and any acronyms that have entered common speech. If it’s in the Scrabble dictionary, it’s allowable.

The hint's number tells the field operatives how many words in the grid are related to the word of the clue. It also determines the maximum number of guesses the field operatives may make on that turn, which is the hint's number plus one. Field operatives must make at least one guess per turn, risking a wrong guess and its consequences. They may also end their turn voluntarily at any point thereafter.
For example, lets say two words you're looking for are Stream and River, your hint could be Water + 3, which means you have three guesses to find the words. You may not choose any number more than 5 for your guesses.

When a code name card is pointed out, the game master (myself or a MoD if applicable) covers that card with an appropriate identity card – a blue agent card, a red agent card, an innocent bystander card, or the assassin card – as indicated on both the spymasters' map of the grid. If the assassin is pointed out, the game ends immediately, with the team who identified him losing. If an agent of the other team is pointed out, the turn ends immediately, and that other team is also one agent closer to winning. If an innocent bystander is pointed out, the turn simply ends.

Similar to last time, turns will be 48 hours long, and players must bold their answers, and I will take the first answers that are bolded, even if you decide to change your mind.

The game ends when all of one teams words are guessed, or The Protagonist is found.
Differences for this version
In this rendition of the game, we will play three games total, each game with different teams.
Minimum for this game is six rather than four from the last game, if it does possibly become a bit more popular I would up this to an amount of 8 people max.

Last edited:
Red Team (Magma)
@DawningWinds (Spymaster)
@Zorchic
@tomb of spirits

Blue Team (Aqua)
@Max1996 (Spymaster)
@Pika_pika42
@Tood

Codename board have been sent to the spymasters, once confirmed the game will start with DawningWinds. Reminder that you may only use single words.

1617536919845.png

Confirmed.

Hint: Pink + 2
Apologies since I forgot to mention this, when a spymaster is giving out the hint words, it can be best to tag your team mates so they are notified.

Friendly reminder that: Guesser's must bold their answers, and I will take the first answers that are bolded, even if you decide to change your mind.

Yeah you may discuss it in here, and it is suggested to do so.
Great, thanks for the clarification (y)!

Anyway, unless I am misunderstanding, it is Red Team Magma's turn, and I am part of this team. I'm thinking that Clefairy is a good guess for us, given that the hint is "Pink + 2" and Clefairy is pink. I'm not sure if Jynx or Mewtwo might also be worth guessing, though. What do you think @tomb of spirits?

Damn sure, I can boldly say that it's ready to get bold.

Link between Jynx and Pink
  • It's pink lips
  • It's lovely kiss
  • Psystrike looks pink
  • Mewtwo doesn't have pink colour anywhere on its body. But I thought it was pink and now I have realised that it's purple after reading it in bulbapedia.
The other options looking pink is Mt. Moon, it's the place where wild Clifairy's can be found.
Another option I'm sus on is Lavender Town. Lavender and Pink are colors.

Conclusion: I'm confused. It's left to you elder, Clefairy is the only one option which I can confirm.

Back
Top Bottom