• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN065: Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A possible major spoiler courtesy of Pokemon Salisbury Steak Bread of all things...

1617721543646.png

Axew finally achieved his dream! :')
...unless, of course, it's Drayden's Haxurus <_<

Though just please tell me we won't have more "Dagonite doesn't obey Iris" crap. I hated in in BW and especially her special, and can't even stand the thought it happening again NOW.:mad:

And yeah, either Ash is going to lose (or at least tie), the rest of the PWC is REALLY dragged out, or they're trying to get it over and done with sooner than we thought...:unsure:

Last edited:
Well. At least Onvern had personality.
And it really needs redemption.

Yes, this one looks promising.

How much do you guys wanna bet:

Goh will take up 30% of the episode trying to catch something? (And I'm being generous when I say just 30% ) :ROFLMAO:
They're both going to the Opelucid Gym, Ash to battle and Goh to watch the battle. I'm pretty sure that, aside from maybe one or two quick catches, the only instance we'll see Goh throwing a Poké Ball is him hurling one at Iris by accident.

I imagine this battle is a 3v3.
(A) Dragonite vs (I) Garchomp - Dragonite wins
(A)Dragonite vs (I) Excadrill - Excadrill wins (Makes the most sense that Excadrill defeats Dragonite imo, since its with Iris the longest)
(A) Gengar vs (I) Excadrill - Draw
(A) Dracovish vs (I) Dragonite - Dracovish wins. Reveals Ice Fang.
I like this setup for the most part, except making Iris's Dragonite lose without at least nabbing a win first. That thing really needs to get a full win while obedient under Iris, because otherwise it makes it look like becoming obedient made him outright regress in power (notice how every single victory Dragonite has won was when he didn't obey Iris), which by extension makes Iris herself look very much not good.

Last edited:
Hey, one catch wouldn't take that much screentime or steal the attention away from the main event of the episode. And we don't even know it such a thing is going to happen.
It's less about the catch itself and more about how they seem incapable of letting Goh in the background for once. It's not gonna kill them to have Goh not capturing something in somebody else's episode.

It's less about the catch itself and more about how they seem incapable of letting Goh in the background for once. It's not gonna kill them to have Goh not capturing something in somebody else's episode.
I'm not saying a catch will happen, but if it does, I don't see it being that big of a deal.

They already announced two new episodes on April 30 and May 7 and they did not put it on the List of Pokémon Journeys: The Series episodes on the bulbapedia website.

This is not the place to discuss Bulbapedia edits or page requests. There is an entire section of the forums for that purpose:

yknow i was being sarcastic in my last post of saying that if ash wins he gets to move up to the ultra class but the episode is actually that i hate foresight

much like the korrina battle with a suspicious similar setup of old female friend in the pwc being the key to a promotion i think this just (nearly) cements the outcome of ash winning and moving up a class because it generates more baseless hype and makes ash look better or whatever the writers are trying to accomplish with the poor kid. which kinda bums me because i want iris to win a little more........ oh well, gary can bonk him down in half a year when he shows up!!

should i mention that there have only been EIGHT on screen battles in the great class, half of which were 1-2 minute long battles?? in the about 40 episodes between jn25 aka his promotion to the great class and now, there have been EIGHT battles. its way too early for ash to be one of the top 100 trainers in the world considering this series has maybe 2 years left

If it weren't for the scans, and now the summary, this episode would have been perfect for a Satoshi solo story.
But we're already saddled with Gou, whose only reasons to be there is to meet Iris and rehash the gag.

Wouldn't it be better if we just had Satoshi, Iris, some bonding/interactions/reminiscences and their battle?
Iris, among the girl companions, has the least developed bond with Satoshi.
Most of the blame is on the staff for trying to reuse many elements from OG in BW.
Channeling some aspects from Kasumi into Iris didn't work, instead backfired.​
The rest is just due to her bad placement, after Hikari and before Serena.

An episode with just Satoshi and Iris could have at least alleviated the issue.
Rehashing was what created the issue in the first place.

Last edited:
This probably hasn't been posted in this thread yet? At least I couldn't find it by scrolling down.

This is Yuki's first appearance in the Pokémon anime in quite a while. "I feel really honored to once again participate in the "Pokemon" anime as Iris for the first time in about 7 years", she said with joy, "and while I believe there are going to be people that will be encountering Iris for the first time in this episode, it's absolutely packed to the brim with the things that make Iris and Dragon type Pokémon so appealing, so I hope it manages to make you love her and her Partner Pokémon."

"As for those of you who are looking forward to seeing her again, I can tell you that you can REALLY feel how much Iris has grown, so I really want you to pay attention to that! More than anything else, the interaction between her and Ash after all this time is going to be something that will really resonate with long-time viewers. This episode is one that can make you once again feel just how fun Pokémon battles are, so I hope it will deepen your "Pokémon love" even further."

(Translation by Dephender from Serebii)

Should we take the implication so that Axew has evolved inbetween?

If it weren't for the scans, and now the summary, this episode would have been perfect for a Satoshi solo story.
But we're already saddled with Gou, whose only reasons to be there is to meet Iris and rehash the gag.

Wouldn't it be better if we just had Satoshi, Iris, some bonding/interactions/reminiscences and their battle?
Iris, among the girl companions, has the least developed bond with Satoshi.
Most of the blame is on the staff for trying to reuse many elements from OG in BW.
Channeling some aspects from Kasumi into Iris didn't work, instead backfired.​
The rest is just due to her bad placement, after Hikari and before Serena.

An episode with just Satoshi and Iris could have at least alleviated the issue.
Rehashing was what created the issue in the first place.
Goh needs to be present so he can be introduced to Iris. And I personally don't mind Journeys repeating old gags, since none of them has really been overused.

Yay! At least we don't have to wait too long after when everyone initially thought this episode was going to air. It's nice to finally have a Journeys episode to really be excited about! I would really love for Iris to be here longer than one episode, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's very exciting not only that Iris is also participating in the PWC, but that apparently her growth as a trainer is going to be quite evident. I have always liked Iris, but didn't always like the way the writers handled her during BW. The fact that we're going to see and hear about everything she's been up to is something I'm really looking forward to.

Also, I'm really hoping that Haxorus really is Axew fully evolved! I understand why most of the time, those cutesy partner Pokémon never evolve (#marketing) but the fact they made it a point that it was Axew's dream to evolve was something I'd hoped they wouldn't ignore when and if Iris ever returned. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they stuck with that.

The only thing I don't love so far about the premise of this episode is that Ash is about to make the next class. The PWC has been handled so badly this entire series, and unfortunately it doesn't look like things are going to change. The pacing is such a nightmare, especially when you take into consideration that his battles, as infrequent as they are, don't get very much focus to begin with. I really hope things start to slow down a little and get more spotlight now that Ash is moving higher and higher up the rankings, or else it's going to be pretty hard to take the whole thing very seriously.

I said this in the other thread, but quite honestly, repeating this gag is absolutely perfect for Goh. How many times have we seen him just throw a poke ball without a second thought? Him thinking Iris is a Pokémon and doing the same thing makes total sense!

Also, I wouldn't really call Iris getting hit with a poke ball a very repetitive gag. Ash only did it once. Rehashing a gag would be more like how Max pulling Brock away by the ear and Clemont dragging Bonnie away. Not only did Misty do that kind of stuff first, but it also happened over and over again during their respective series.

Seeing a one off gag get used again doesn't really bother me much. Ripping off Misty's shtick bugs me a lot more, tbh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom