• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Do we know when the next trailer and news announcement will be? It's been well over a month since the last one! The ORAS trailers mainly showcased the new Mega Evolutions, but assuming there isn't going to be anything like that in BDSP, I wonder what the trailers will focus on? And will they continue to release information for BDSP and Legends alongside, or will they focus on BDSP first? I'm looking forward to seeing what they do.

I don't think we get anything until E3 at the earliest, since its a remake (Don't forget ORAS wasn't announced until May 7th). Most likely they only announced BDSP so early was because of the 25 year anniversary.

I can't lie - I'd love to see radio silence for until 2 months until release day. I don't like when game tease features to death, and as long as we know when the games are released, the fanbase doesn't need to deal with the constant barrage of spoilers and trailers.

Or, another way to say things: Wouldn't it be nice to just go into a game and explore its features and depth without all the pressures and presence of social media trying to explore everything about the game for you even before it comes out?
If BDSP looked different and didn’t have its marketing campaign consist solely of “we’re making these games as faithful to the original Sinnoh games as possible,” I would agree with you. The problem is that BDSP as presented to us right now isn’t enough to keep people interested in it, whereas Legends: Arceus is different enough to speculate about things without new news for about four to six months.

[...] its marketing campaign consist(s) solely of “we’re making these games as faithful to the original Sinnoh games as possible,”
*so far
We’ve only had one trailer; I would doubt that the entire future marketing campaign will consist of them pushing it being as similar to the old games as possible. They also hardly said “as faithful to the original Sinnoh games as possible”. They used the term “faithfully recreated” to describe locations.

Yeah, I definitely interpreted "faithful" to mean "top-down," since the norm for remakes up until now has been to present them in the same way as the current generation, but they decided to keep the maps top-down instead of redesigning it into a SwSh (or Legends)-esque world.

I could be wrong, but I'd personally be shocked if they added nothing new and were as strict a translation as everyone seems to fear they are.

*so far
We’ve only had one trailer; I would doubt that the entire future marketing campaign will consist of them pushing it being as similar to the old games as possible. They also hardly said “as faithful to the original Sinnoh games as possible”. They used the term “faithfully recreated” to describe locations.
That was only in response to the fact that @Lanstar would be okay with radio silence until two months before release. In that specific scenario, nostalgia and faithfulness would end up as the main selling point for BDSP by default since that’s all we would have to go on for the longest time. I’ll admit that my statement doesn’t really work out of context.

That was only in response to the fact that @Lanstar would be okay with radio silence until two months before release. In that specific scenario, nostalgia and faithfulness would end up as the main selling point for BDSP by default since that’s all we would have to go on for the longest time. I’ll admit that my statement doesn’t really work out of context.
Fair enough. I do believe that people have tended to misrepresent what has been said about the games so far, which is why I brought it up.

They used the term “faithfully recreated” to describe locations.
Now you’re the one misrepresenting the marketing.
"The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved"
This is literally quote from their website so the faithful reproduction/recreation element also applies to story and not just locations.

Now you’re the one misrepresenting the marketing.
"The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and the sense of scale in the originals’ towns and routes has been carefully preserved"
This is literally quote from their website so the faithful reproduction/recreation element also applies to story and not just locations.
I forgot that it also applied to the story. That’s not the same as misrepresentation, especially when you consider that in either case the point I was making is the same: the “faithful reproduction” was used to describe some aspects of the game, not the game as a whole.

I forgot that it also applied to the story. That’s not the same as misrepresentation, especially when you consider that in either case the point I was making is the same: the “faithful reproduction” was used to describe some aspects of the game, not the game as a whole.
Well, if you take the locations and the story that already makes 99% of a game. The only huge category that remains is quality of life features. People choosing to not elaborate themselves on the highest order when they say they’re in for a faithful remake when the two major aspects of a game are said to be faithful isn’t misrepresentation.

Well, if you take the locations and the story that already makes 99% of a game. The only huge category that remains is quality of life features. People choosing to not elaborate themselves on the highest order when they say they’re in for a faithful remake when the two major aspects of a game are said to be faithful isn’t misrepresentation.
No, that’s not really true. Because if you think about it, ORAS and FRLG were both faithful in terms of main story locations and storyline and yet they distinguished themselves from the originals enough to be worthwhile in a lot of other ways. So representing these games as any more exact to the originals than those based on one word is misrepresenting. We simply don’t know yet.

Last edited:
No, that’s not really true. Because if you think about it, ORAS and FRLG were both faithful in terms of main story locations and storyline and yet they distinguished themselves from the originals enough to be worthwhile in a lot of other ways. So representing these games as any more exact to the originals than those based on one word is misrepresenting. We simply don’t know yet.
ORAS was not a faithful reproduction of the story not marketed as such. I missed the part where the originals had Zinnia or the primal reversions. It’s pretty clear they took the basic structure of the story and took creative liberties with it.

ORAS did NOT include these words in their marketing as well, and this is the first remake which actually does, which means there’s going to be more of a component of faithfulness.

I’m pretty sure people are going to argue what you said, and when the games come out and happen to be exact remakes (and people are disappointed because hope was built up by posts like these that it’ll be different enough), some people will come out of the woodwork, turn back, and claim that we have no right to be disappointed because the game marketed it as a faithful reproduction of story in the first place.

Gameplay: am I a joke to you?
ORAS was not a faithful reproduction of the story not marketed as such. I missed the part where the originals had Zinnia or the primal reversions. It’s pretty clear they took the basic structure of the story and took creative liberties with it.
Primal Reversion can't be counted, since it really is inconsequential from a story perspective, it matters only from a gameplay perspective. Zinnia is post-game, and it doesn't affect the main story in any way. The story is the same with a few minor changes.

Last edited:
As stated above these are really pretty minor. Zinnia has, what, a few sentences of dialogue in Petalburg Woods and then we never see her again until post game? Primal Reversion and Mega Evolution are both gameplay/lore aspects and not so much story. The plot was still exactly the same.

ORAS did NOT include these words in their marketing as well, and this is the first remake which actually does, which means there’s going to be more of a component of faithfulness.
No, but the point is they could have and no one would have batted an eye when we got what we got. As I said, the “faithful” remark was specifically about specific aspects of the game; not the game as a whole.

I’m pretty sure people are going to argue what you said, and when the games come out and happen to be exact remakes (and people are disappointed because hope was built up by posts like these that it’ll be different enough), some people will come out of the woodwork, turn back, and claim that we have no right to be disappointed because the game marketed it as a faithful reproduction of story in the first place.
Well what I’ve been saying this whole time is “we simply don’t know yet” and everything that’s being said is based on the very limited amount of marketing material we have based on a single trailer. So, no, no one is going to “turn back” suddenly and say these were going to be 100% identical remakes all along because, presumably, we will be shown that ahead of time anyway. And I mean actually shown in trailers and gameplay instead of a single sentence on the website.

Should we expect basic Gen 8 QoL features that we've grown used to in SwSh? Things like hyper training, TRs, nature mints, as examples that are important for people who like battling. I and many others in the competitive battling communities have been wondering if VGC will stay on SwSh for 2022 or move to BDSP for a year, but because of how "side-gamey", for a lack of a better term, that this game feels, people understandably are concerned about the direction of competitive battling. Personally I think the SwSh meta is stale and I'm tired of the Dynamax gimmick as a whole, so I'd prefer a move to BDSP for the VGC scene, whether we get Megas or not, but I'd prefer Megas to save Empoleon from mediocrity. I feel like the sensible direction is to move VGC to BDSP which will help the game's sales since people who want to continue competing have to move to the new game each time and it's a strategy that has worked in prior generations. I do hope the leak about some new Megas is true because I think that's the best possible direction these games could take, vs. not including Megas at all, or alternatively, the worst possible option: shoehorning in Dynamax into BDSP.

Should we expect basic Gen 8 QoL features that we've grown used to in SwSh? Things like hyper training, TRs, nature mints, as examples that are important for people who like battling.
Quote from the site: "These remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly conveniences of the modern Pokémon series". So most likely, yes

I haven't played ORAS, but I do know that the evil teams, Steven and May/Brendan were given more dialogue and characterization. Are Cynthia and Cyrus going to make a big deal about Mega Evolution in these games? Probably not, due to the "faithful" description and the fact that it's an old feature at this point.

ORAS were described as a "new world", so even though that was misleading, BDSP being called faithful isn't just a matter of hiding spoilers.

EmpoleonProd said:
I and many others in the competitive battling communities have been wondering if VGC will stay on SwSh for 2022 or move to BDSP for a year, but because of how "side-gamey", for a lack of a better term, that this game feels, people understandably are concerned about the direction of competitive battling.
I don't see them dropping Dynamax from VGC just for the sake of BSDP and a few new Mega Evolutions at best. Other than that, they've only confirmed the original 493 Pokemon, which indicates a similar approrach to LGPE. BSDP will probably have their own online tournament circuit, so isn't that good enough?

Last edited:
Basically, the discourse surrounding BDSP...
A480B128-F8F0-43C2-8427-354392F7BCB1.jpeg

I haven't played ORAS, but I do know that the evil teams, Steven and May/Brendan were given more dialogue and characterization. Are Cynthia and Cyrus going to make a big deal about Mega Evolution in these games? Probably not, due to the "faithful" description and the fact that it's an old feature at this point.
Depends how big a role Mega Evolution plays (if it’s even in). I would think they’d acknowledge it. Point is, I don’t think some minor dialogue and characterization are enough to make the story any less “faithful”.

ORAS were described as a "new world", so even though that was misleading, BDSP being called faithful isn't just a matter of hiding spoilers.
The point was never that the purpose of using that word was to hide spoilers, the point was that it is often being pessimistically interpreted as a firm descriptor for the entirety of the game when it’s still far too early to tell what it means.

The only X and Y leaks I saw were some blurry pictures of Chesnaught, Delphox and Greninja a day or two before the release. I'm glad I didn't know about the rest. X and Y is actually the only game where I've had the experience of discovering new Pokemon while playing, due to the simultaneous worlwide release as well as the fact that I missed most of the leaks.

I think X and Y's pre-release coverage was almost spot-on, but they revealed slightly too many Pokemon. I would have liked to have had even more to discover. I'm glad they kept some of the Mega Evolutions secret because I had a blast discovering those. Tapping the Mega Evolution button and not knowing what my Abomasnow was about to turn into... I'll never forget that!

I could have sworn that Sword and Shield's second trailer came out a month after the first... but you're right, it came out in June! Funny, I don't remember the wait being that long - otherwise I wouldn't have been getting so impatient for the next BDSP trailer.

I actually think Sword and Shield nailed the pre-release coverage. They revealed just enough, while still leaving plenty to discover. I regret looking at the leaks - had I avoided them, I could have had the same fresh experience that X and Y gave me, only on a much bigger scale.

Sun and Moon's pre-release period was, admittedly, one of the most exciting we've ever had, especially as there were so many new ideas in those games like Trials, Totem Pokemon, Ultra Beasts and so on. But I couldn't help but feel a bit cheated when I looked at the datamine and realised how few Pokemon had been kept secret.
What got me mad about swsh leaks was the starters leaks. I just wanted to know what scorbunnys evolutions looked like. When the other starters evolutions leaked everyone was talking how trash they were and I had to look, only to find the blurriest photo ever to get mad at a fan interpretation of that blurry image that people were judging the design on. So I waited on a leak thread for cinderace, thinking any minute cinderace would leak just like the other starters...took 2 days from the blurry image, dubwool, leaked, yampers evolution, leaked, the coalassal line, leaked...thankfully cinderace finally showed its unblurry face and I was satisfied but it took too long and too much had been leaked for me.

Still though I had a couple of lines to discover for the first time, I still remember thinking wtf when I first saw falinks come out of that hole on route 9(?) Or when I first saw the dreepy line. I fought Leon not knowing it was ghost type until I tried fake out only for it to fail and then I noticed the transparent tail and the ghost like pose.

Last edited:
I had a cool little idea for what they could do as DLC for this game.

The Almia region centered around Pokémon Rangers appears to be based on the tailpiece of Hokkaido, the region Sinnoh is based on, so it would make sense as an extension to the Sinnoh region to include a storyline where you enroll in a Pokémon Ranger School in Almia (in a condensed, shorter plot than the Ranger games, of course), similar to how one enrolls into the Dojo in the Isle of Armor, and this DLC could be used to help the player get mythical Pokémon like Darkrai or the Manaphy egg.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom