• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN062: Damp Jimereon

This episode was... Meh. Like most episodes of Journeys, I don't like it but I don't hate it. Though it was funny to see drizzile try and fail to find a hole to hide in. Other than that, it's just the standard Meh Goh episode.
Final rating: Meh+/10.

i actually liked this episode a bit but only for Drizzile. everything else was meh and the rushed evolution couldn't be any more obvious

i can't get behind the superficial 'back story' and 'development' for Goh anymore given how it'll be inconsistently irrelevant and not matter after this episode. it has happened in the past too, so my cynicism is justified

This episode was... Meh. Like most episodes of Journeys, I don't like it but I don't hate it. Though it was funny to see drizzile try and fail to find a hole to hide in. Other than that, it's just the standard Meh Goh episode.
Final rating: Meh+/10.
I thought the character development was well done.
i actually liked this episode a bit but only for Drizzile. everything else was meh and the rushed evolution couldn't be any more obvious

i can't get behind the superficial 'back story' and 'development' for Goh anymore given how it'll be inconsistently irrelevant and not matter after this episode. it has happened in the past too, so my cynicism is justified
Why would Goh getting character development be considered "irrelevant"?

I didn’t mind the evolution, but I suppose it doesn’t feeling rewarding for some as Sobble wasn’t involved enough to warrant it.
Actually, I feel as though Goh doesn’t deserve it. Asides from creating Sobble’s fighting style, he never really interacted/trained with Sobble, unlike Ash, where he was constantly involving G.Farfetch’d.

Why yes, random TV reporter; Satoshi being a research fellow is literally the only thing noteworthy about him as a Trainer :confused:

Based on the context I suspect it might not have been entirely relevant for the reporter to know that he was also the champion of Alola and that he had also saved the world from a couple of terrorist groups across like seven regions and that he had also faced off against several evil legendaries in over twenty movies.

I could be wrong though.

Also,. wow, I genuinely dislike some of Goh's other Pokemon now. I swear they come across as bullies.

I didn’t mind the evolution, but I suppose it doesn’t feeling rewarding for some as Sobble wasn’t involved enough to warrant it.
Actually, I feel as though Goh doesn’t deserve it. Asides from creating Sobble’s fighting style, he never really interacted/trained with Sobble, unlike Ash, where he was constantly involving G.Farfetch’d.
Sometimes I genuinely wonder if the writers feel that Go shouldn’t have to train his Pokémon for them to evolve because he’s essentially the non-combatant one and barely battles.

Why would Goh getting character development be considered "irrelevant"?
you're twisting my words out of context

i said that him getting development feels irrelevant when that development tends to become moot or doesn't impact him mostly, it feels like a separate entity

doesn't help that him and Sobble have barely spent time together

Last edited:
As I tend to say: don't count your Torchic before they hatch.

It's not pretended. Their bond is genuinely close.

That's exaggerating.

Black & White is miles below this series.

Sobble and Goh haven’t even interacted for 8 episodes, episode 54 presented a new ‘status quo’ for Sobble but we didn’t see it all until this episode where it’s Status quo was changed again - I’m not saying we should have had more Sobble focus episodes, I’m just saying we should’ve at least seen it doing something it the last 8 episode - just like how Farfetch’d had 3 good focus episode but completely disappeared between them.

Riolu appeared and developed in episodes that didn’t focus on it, like the Korrina episode and even sparked the conflict in the Pikachu episode.

Best Wishes ignored a lot of the main casts Pokemon but a handful of them got really good treatment, where as everyone gets the BW treatment here (with the exception of Riolu)

Take episode 29 of BW, they showcased a new Pokémon (Cotonee) and gave focus to Scraggy which in turn gave a little focus to Axew. Now if Journeys wasn’t hung up on being so ‘episodic’ they’d have put the Diglett episode after the Inteleon episode (because the order really really doesn’t matter in Journeys... at least for the past 25 episodes) then they could have had Sobble ducking and rolling about while trying to help catch the Diglett - instead of it merely being the Diglett episode, it could have been so much more.

Actually judging by how the rest of the episode went by, I feel as if that might have been the intent.

It doesn't feel rewarding at all. But given its reaction to how it saw itself as a Drizzile, I don't really think it was supposed to be.

I think for all intents purposes, Drizzile is supposed to be seen as a "consequence" of Sobble trying to speed rush through his development into becoming an Inteleon. And it's purpose is to show that it still has a long ways to go before reaching his final form.

I agree with the rest of your comment tho

You guys all know very well the reason why Ash's Pokemon weren't in this episode

If Dragonite were here, he would've just hugged Drizzile and literally all the problems in this episode would be gone and the writer's knew it

The writers weren't going to have their plot lines resolved that easily and that's why they made Ash ooc and not send out Dragonite to cheer him up

You guys all know very well the reason why Ash's Pokemon weren't in this episode

If Dragonite were here, he would've just hugged Drizzile and literally all the problems in this episode would be gone and the writer's knew it

The writers weren't going to have their plot lines resolved that easily and that's why they made Ash ooc and not send out Dragonite to cheer him up
I doubt even Dragonite's hugs could've solved this one.

Alright, was not expecting this, but the show managed to bring some depth to Sobble, so kudos there. Drizzile's mindset was fun to explore, Gou connecting that with himself was great, and the evolution talks in general were also warranted. Also, seeing them bring up the Diglet episode was nice, as was Ash (kind of) harkening back to how he would try to deal with a Pokemon he viewed feeling down (even with this episode reaffirming that he is in fact, only 10). Really good episode.

Sometimes I genuinely wonder if the writers feel that Go shouldn’t have to train his Pokémon for them to evolve because he’s essentially the non-combatant one and barely battles.
I'm rather reminded of episode three of Journeys, whereby a bunch of Bulbasaur and Ivysaur start to evolve just by being really close to the sun, rather than by battling. I vaguely remember commenting back then that the anime seems to play fast and loose with game mechanics when they like and I guess this is no exception. :confused:

I'm rather reminded of episode three of Journeys, whereby a bunch of Bulbasaur and Ivysaur start to evolve just by being really close to the sun, rather than by battling. I vaguely remember commenting back then that the anime seems to play fast and loose with game mechanics when they like and I guess this is no exception. :confused:
Which, to an extent, I can get those who do not like that, but I do like that, as in theory, Pokemon could/would develop differently, even of the same species.

Man. It is episodes like these that make me fond of Go and remind me why he is my favorite male companion, poorly portrayed goal aside (was that interview a jab at that?).

That final conversation with Drizzile, the stars, the music - it was everything; I teared up with the way Daiki said that final line of Go being happy if Drizzile would let them become close again someday.

The whole episode was a treat. I like when the anime explores other emotions aside from being saccharinely sweet all the time; so, a substantial depressive episode was very welcome. While I do think some of Drizzile's mentality is due to its species, I also think it is because of the disappointment from not becoming Inteleon. It may not necessarily know how to handle it effectively, let alone with support and encouragement from others. And I love how Goh was able to relate to that due to his own experience, allowing him to empathize with the notion of being alone (at least for a while); we also got some bland backstory for said empathy and I am hoping Go's socioemotional state is explored more down the road. I am assuming this won't go on too long though, since Drizzile's goal is still relatively obtainable. Just ask Goodra.

And what a change from how Go handled a similar issue with Raboot. He actually took the time and effort to speak and empathize with his Pokémon, and based on Drizzile's response atop the rooftop, and subsequent return to the laboratory, I think his feelings were able to get through. These emotional beats are one of my favorite things about this anime (and what we need more of).

Lastly, some of Go's Pokémon are territorial jerks, my goodness. However, I'm happy to know it is confirmed he plays/interacts with them off-screen. And a little bit, I hate how unarticulated they make Ash sometimes when he is explaining things. The whole "It was like whoosh! And then like bam!" makes me think this is someone who did not travel to seven regions and interact (read, communicate) with a plethora of people in a variety of situations. OG Ash was a better speaker, my goodness.

I digress. Anyway, I was wondering why I did not see Drizzile in the water-themed preview for next week, but upon finishing the episode it makes sense. That being said, I cannot wait for Inteleon!

This was an okay episode. It had some cute/funny moments, and Drizzile's disappointment on not becoming Inteleon like it wanted was actually done a lot better than I expected, so that was a nice surprise. Goh genuinely made an effort to connect with his Pokemon, which was quite sweet, and the ending all but states that Drizzile's development is still not done. Let's just hope the evolution into Inteleon isn't as rushed as Raboot's evolution into Cinderace was.

Also,. wow, I genuinely dislike some of Goh's other Pokemon now. I swear they come across as bullies.
Interesting, since I got the impression that Poliwag, Goldeen, Bunnelby, and Mankey were actually trying to cheer Drizzile up, not bully it. And the Pokemon that got angry at him didn't get angry for no reason, since Drizzile did accidentally injure Chinchou and barge in uninvited on other Pokemon's beds/houses. Sure, maybe they overreacted, but it wasn't exactly bullying, since it's not like they attacked Drizzile completely unprovoked.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom