• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Chibi-style of the game. Like or Hate

Do you like the the fact that the characters are Chibi?

• Yes

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters
I think it looks bad. It wouldn't be an issue if these games were for the DS or 3DS but Switch games shouldn't have such primitive graphics without an interesting gimmick on the side. Getting fully animated battles is nice but that's expected so it doesn't balance out the over-world stuff.

I don't care to be fair, but of course could have been made much better.

However I understand that the good graphics are beeing reserved for Legends.

However I understand that the good graphics are beeing reserved for Legends.
This raises an issue i have: why is BDSP playing second fiddle to Legends? All the previous remakes were the main focus of development during a time. FRLG after RS, HGSS after Platinum, and ORAS after XY. Why does Gen 4 get this treatment now?

Honestly, and i have said this in another thread, they should have just delayed the remake and made it after Legends.

Er, I don't think GameFreak is making this game.

You're indeed correct, but I'm refering to Pokemon.inc, and that's probably why they delegated to another company.

This raises an issue i have: why is BDSP playing second fiddle to Legends? All the previous remakes were the main focus of development during a time. FRLG after RS, HGSS after Platinum, and ORAS after XY. Why does Gen 4 get this treatment now?

Honestly, and i have said this in another thread, they should have just delayed the remake and made it after Legends.

Indeed however they want to change things as fast as they can, also Gen 9 should be in 1-2 years so...

Apparently, Pokémon Company is not happy to continue the traditional remake policies. In the past generation, in a way, they tried to change the formula with Pokémon Let's Go. Now, they are prioritizing a prequel to a remake. We will see what the future holds.

I feel that it's a step backwards from the SWSH sprites and a lackluster effort since it's just a CGI enhancement of the same graphic design. Overworld included.

I'm not impressed but I'm not against it. The character sprites hardly matter to the game especially when they're not customizable.

One thing I hope they add in both games is outlines for both Pokemon and the Player Characters because right now they look like bad mobile sprites for BDSP and the 3D Models look too bright.

I don't like the current overworld models but I don't think they're awful either. Would've preferred a different art style for them (or just use lower-poly versions of the in-battle models).

I’m just baffled that they took a step behind Let's Go of all things. The only thing this made me do was rate Let's Go's graphics more than something else, which I ever thought I would. I’d have taken upscaled XY and ORAS style over this.

I really hope the chibi style doesn't get in the way of the game's compatibility with Sword and Shield. All the previous remakes (except Let's Go!) were made to get all the Pokémon available in one generation. I don't see much worth in it if it's not getting Bidoof into Sword and Shield. Also, would the chibis mean there aren't any trainer customization? ORAS didn't have trainer customization, and the player looking exactly like the original Lucas and Dawn with the same overworld proportions that change in battle doesn't help.

What I don't get is why they used the chibi style in the first place? At first I thought it was a nostalgia thing to boost sales, but Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee didn't have chibi graphics yet they were still successful. Same with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire. So why revert to using such basic graphics for a Switch game that can clearly handle more advanced graphics than this?

This. I don't think that Legends will be that successful anyway at least in comparison to these remakes. It seems like a really big gamble for Nintendo and whoever else to put so much work into that Legends game when BDSP should be the main focal point.

This. I don't think that Legends will be that successful anyway at least in comparison to these remakes. It seems like a really big gamble for Nintendo and whoever else to put so much work into that Legends game when BDSP should be the main focal point.
An open world breath of the wild style Pokémon games will fly off the shelves. I don’t know what you’re on about. If I had to bet, BDSP would have a lesser amount of sales.

BDSP will probably outsell Legends, albeit not by much. It helps that the games are only a few months apart (from what we can tell at least).
However, open world games are the new trend these days. I don't doubt Legends will sell enough for Nintendo and The Pokemon Company to consider it successful.

Last edited:
An open world breath of the wild style Pokémon games will fly off the shelves. I don’t know what you’re on about. If I had to bet, BDSP would have a lesser amount of sales.

'What I'm on about'? I'm not seeing why the highly anticipated DP remakes would sell less than a tie-in gimmick game. And no I personally don't believe for a second that Legends: Arceus being an open world game will make a significant difference considering that it was usually a very select niche of older fans who were clamoring for open world gameplay anyway - the majority of players would probably rather play something familiar instead of spending cash on a bleak spin-off.

I'm sure some people will claim that Legends might pull a Pokemon GO and surpass expectations, but I think there's a vast difference between a free to download mobile game and a spin-off game that'll cost approximately $60.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom