• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

American Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I mean, it's not just Barrett. Remember, Mitch Hypocrite McConnell refused to let President Obama get his rightful Supreme Court nominee because it was "too close to the election". We all know how that logic fared when RBG passed away shortly before the 2020 election, but my point is... The Republicans played dirty, so dirty.

I'm just going to say it: They do not deserve any of the appointments under Trump. It is complete rubbish that a man who did not even win the vote of the people got to put three supreme court justices in the Supreme Court.

I hope so much that this effort does something to fix this injustice. I don't have a lot of hope, I honestly don't know what power Biden and the Democrats could have to fix this nonsense, but it is very crooked. Very unfair. There are far too many things in the US that feel crooked and unfair right now. Something's gotta be done.

Race wars seems to be more important now lately and they exporting it. Even so if a Blackman says We people need to love each other you get permabanned by Mark Zuckenburg and Jake Dorsey....
...I'd ask what you're referring to with "race wars", but I get the feeling that you're referring to the BLM movement given that next sentence, and not really trying to engage with the topic.
and never forget divide and conquer.
I've never understood this idea that divisive political issues are made to "divide and conquer" people. Even assuming they're somehow able to fabricate whatever issues they want, ignoring the global and historical context of those issues and how hard it'd be to just artificially insert them into people's lives (it's not like I'm gay because the DNC needed to use marriage equality to win elections), how exactly is a more polarized political climate going to help anyone gain more power? They're already in power, and stoking these fires just leads to them being seen in a negative light, which can even lead to attempts on their lives. (That guy mailing pipe bombs, the Jan 6 attack, etc.) Why do any of that when you could just... quietly collect money and do whatever you want?

I can understand making fake issues to distract from more important things, like how Fox runs segments on Mr. Potato Head and Dr. Seuss instead of talking about stimulus bills or the pandemic, but that's not really done with the intent of causing division. Division is just a byproduct, because they have to convince their audience to ignore people who take those issues seriously in order to fully distract them.

Hot take time: As sympathetic as I am to the 'forever war' argument, the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan is a strategically poor move which sends the wrong signal to both the US's allies and enemies. A 2-3,000 troop presence is a very low price to pay in order to prevent Afghanistan becoming a Chinese/Iranian satellite state, or worse, simply fall straight into the hands of the Taliban again (or both). The Afghan people are being thrown to the wolves.

Last edited:
A 2-3,000 troop presence is a very low price to pay

The families of those troops might consider this to be a much higher price to pay. And that's the crux of this issue, because whether the pullout from Afghanistan is a strategically poor move or not is irrelevant to the actual reasons behind it. Simply put, the US is leaving because after 20 years the American public is utterly tired of this war and any further sacrifices. That's all to it. It was the reason for leaving Vietnam, and now it's the reason for leaving Afghanistan. The blame for why this happened can be put squarely on the past three US Presidents, all of whom utterly failed in nation building. The US therefore is cutting its loses and leaving.

I just remembered something. In late 2019, there was a lot of buzz about Gaetz moving to Alabama and running for Senate here. (Alabama law says you only need to live in the state for one day to be eligible) Even though we ended up with Tuberville, I feel like we dodged a bullet.

The families of those troops might consider this to be a much higher price to pay. And that's the crux of this issue, because whether the pullout from Afghanistan is a strategically poor move or not is irrelevant to the actual reasons behind it. Simply put, the US is leaving because after 20 years the American public is utterly tired of this war and any further sacrifices. That's all to it. It was the reason for leaving Vietnam, and now it's the reason for leaving Afghanistan. The blame for why this happened can be put squarely on the past three US Presidents, all of whom utterly failed in nation building. The US therefore is cutting its loses and leaving.

I agree with you. I believe that Donald Trump was contemplating getting US troops out of Afghanistan, blaming his predecessors (George W. Bush and Barack Obama) for not getting troops out, but didn't do so in the end (nor did he close Guantanamo Bay, which Barack Obama also failed to do) and that this could be disastrous move as this could allow the Taliban to regroup. But the War on Terror has been about stopping terrorism, but sadly has caused more terrorism. I think that if governments were serious about stopping terrorism, then they should provide support to developing countries, like support for health care and education and food and water rather than spend billions of billions of dollars on missiles to use on developing countries that could encourage support for terrorists.

Getting rid of Saddam Hussein (who had no link to September 11 nor had nuclear weapons) has actually left a power vacuum in Iraq that has been filled by Islamic State. And there is a possibility that there could be a power vacuum in Afghanistan if the pullout gets botched and that the Taliban would fill that power vacuum. So I think with this pullout by Biden, it should be done carefully. The situation in Afghanistan is delicate and could deteriorate very quickly if its not done carefully.

Florida just made it legal to run over protesters with your car. This law would have protected the right-wing terrorist who killed one person in a car ramming attack if Virginia passed such a bill before the Unite the Right rally in 2017.
...Okay, I have no words for this... This is seriously screwed up. What the hell is happening with Florida?

Derek Chauvin was found GUILTY on all charges with no bail. There's still a lot of work to be done on police reform, but its so great to finally see some accountability.
Lots of conservative media pundits are *very* unhappy about the verdict.

Lots of conservative media pundits are *very* unhappy about the verdict.
They're all a bunch of fucking morons, though I laugh at them saying go cry some more you blue lives matter bitches. I saw Tucker Carlson have an absolute meltdown and kicked a New York corrections officer off his show because he couldn't handle the guy speaking the truth. Chauvin is and was confirmed guilty on all charges and you are blind if you think otherwise.

Last edited:
They're all a bunch of fucking morons, though I laugh at them saying go cry some more you blue lives matter bitches. I saw Tucker Carlson have an absolute meltdown and kicked a New York corrections officer off his show because he couldn't handle the guy speaking the truth. Chauvin is and was confirmed guilty on all charges and you are blind if you think otherwise.
They've had a rough couple of weeks. IDK what pissed them off more, Chauvin's conviction, or the Capitol Officer who shot one of the rioters not being charged.

They've had a rough couple of weeks. IDK what pissed them off more, Chauvin's conviction, or the Capitol Officer who shot one of the rioters not being charged.
I think it really says something when Tucker Carlson only seems to care about an officer killing someone when its someone who is white. Granted I don't think she should have been killed and should have been arrested properly, but it really says something when he's only raising a stink about this now that Chauvin has been convicted guilty, while still firmly believing Chauvin was in the right.

View: https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1384629303372095493

“Moments like this can be tough, but it helps to take a step back and remember that this is the exception that proves the rule,” said Margolin, confirming that despite the conviction he still believed in the justice system’s fundamental purpose of exonerating police officers. “In these trying times, I remember everything I have to be grateful for—qualified immunity, powerful police associations, massive budgets, and all the officers I know who have done similar stuff to Chauvin and gotten away scot-free, and it starts to make me calm down. It’s important not to let a little hiccup like this make you lose sight of the big picture.” At press time, a cheerful Margolin had fully regained his faith in the system after taking out a baton and breaking a demonstrator’s arm.

The verdict was barely being read when cops in Columbus, Ohio shot and killed a fifteen year old Black girl who had called them for help. This comes days after police in Columbus took a 1 am helicopter joyride spelling out "CPD" over a Black neighborhood. This whole thing is just playing whack-a-mole and nothing is going to get better until the whole system of policing as it exists is torn down. The rot's at the heart of the system and it needs to be removed.

This whole thing is just playing whack-a-mole and nothing is going to get better until the whole system of policing as it exists is torn down. The rot's at the heart of the system and it needs to be removed.
It's not whack-a-mole. We need guilty verdicts if we want to push for progress on this front. Already, Chauvin's sentencing gave the DoJ the opening to reach deeper at the very rot you mention. Had Chauvin walked free instead, this investigation into the police would be unable to ever start.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department is opening a sweeping investigation into policing practices in Minneapolis after a former officer was convicted in the killing of George Floyd there, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced Wednesday.

The decision comes a day after former officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty of murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s death last May, setting off a wave of relief across the country.

“Yesterday’s verdict in the state criminal trial does not address potentially systemic policing issues in Minneapolis,” Garland said.

The new investigation is known as a “pattern or practice” — examining whether there is a pattern or practice of unconstitutional or unlawful policing — and will be a more sweeping probe of the entire police department and may result in major changes to policing there.

It will examine the use of force by police officers, including force used during protests, and whether the department engages in discriminatory practices. It will also look into the department’s handling of misconduct allegations and its treatment of people with behavioral health issues and will assess the department’s current systems of accountability, Garland said.

The verdict was barely being read when cops in Columbus, Ohio shot and killed a fifteen year old Black girl who had called them for help. This comes days after police in Columbus took a 1 am helicopter joyride spelling out "CPD" over a Black neighborhood. This whole thing is just playing whack-a-mole and nothing is going to get better until the whole system of policing as it exists is torn down. The rot's at the heart of the system and it needs to be removed.

Went ahead and looked up the details of that case. The fifteen year old was in the middle of trying to stab another girl with a knife at the moment when the cop shot her. Not that you'll ever hear any of that in news articles.

View: https://twitter.com/lookner/status/1384706823421374465

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom