• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would Ash's team be if you wrote Journeys?

CyberKitten05

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
For me, I would've made it
Pikachu, Dragonite, Lucario, Rillaboom, Greninja and Solgaleo at the PWC Finals, with Gengar, Tyranitar, Corviknight, Flygon and Volcarona as reserves used in other parts of the series. Also, they all get screentime.
Yes, I know I picked 3 Steel Types, but they all have very different fighting styles.

I thought of some... Backstories for all of these Team Members but they're very... Fanfic-esque. Eh, I'll write them anyway.

Dragonite - same as now
Gengar - Same as now
Tyranitar - Ash's old Larvitar, all grown up. Ash meets it in Johto and catches it. Still has childlike admiration for Ash.
Flygon - caught as a Trapinch in the Hoenn desert. It first secretly made its way into Ash's backpack and ate all the food. Ash then found it and caught it. Has a very large apetite as a Trapinch and often gets distracted by food during battles.
Lucario - Same as now, but Ash gets a Mega Stone. Don't know where, when, how, why, who, what. He just gets one.
Volcarona - When Ash and Goh are sent on a research mission to the Unovan Desert Catacombs, Ash and Goh get kidnapped by a pair of Cofagrigus. Their Pokemon have to work together as a Team and start journeying through the catacombs, and eventually, they have a Raid Battle against a Volcarona who guards the Cofagrigus, and Ash's Dragonite ends up catching it for him.
Greninja - only returns in the PWC finals, Ash goes to Kalos off-screen to get it, and this isn't teased or anything, Ash just pulls it out of nowhere and surprises the viewers.
Solgaleo - The people of the Ultra Megalopolis have captured Necrozma in order to use it as a Power Source, but it loses its light in the process, so they forcibly fuse Solgaleo and Lunala with it in order to bring it back to its Ultra Burst form. However, Necrozma becomes enraged and starts wreaking havoc, and Ash and Goh battle it. They split it apart, but Solgaleo experiences physical trauma by being forcibly fused and unfused with Necrozma and
Lunala by external forces. It loses its ability to open Ultra Wormholes, and also experiences random fainting periods. Ash catches it and takes care of it until it recovers and can go back to Ultra Space. Released after the PWC.
Rillaboom - Caught as a Grookey, pretty much the same story as Goh's Grookey, Goh gets a shiny Turtwig instead. Except this time, we see flashbacks that show Grookey being stolen from its original trainer by Team Rocket, and its original trainer being a newbie female trainer from Galar that looks coincidentally similar to Ash, hence it getting instantly attached to Ash in its debut episode.
Corviknight - Caught as a Corvisquire, was the leader of a pack of Rookidee on its debut episode. Other than being a pack leader, it's story is pretty much the same as Sirknight's.

Last edited:
Well, Pikachu would be there too.

So my dream team would be:

Pikachu, Lucario, Dragonite, Hatterene, Rillaboom and Inteleon in the final match against Leon (which is presumed to happen), but I would also like for him to get Orbeetle, Zoroark and Scolipede and use those through out the series too in a proper rotation team.

AND no one would lack development, since in my personal version (lol) there would be pratically no filler episodes in a series that is not in a episodic format.

Well, Pikachu would be there too.

So my dream team would be:

Pikachu, Lucario, Dragonite, Hatterene, Rillaboom and Inteleon in the final match against Leon (which is presumed to happen), but I would also like for him to get Orbeetle, Zoroark and Scolipede and use those through out the series too in a proper rotation team.

AND no one would lack development, since in my personal version (lol) there would be pratically no filler episodes in a series that is not in a episodic format.
Oh right, I somehow forgot about Pikachu.
I edited the post and added him in place of Absol.

I'd go with Pikachu, Lucario, Rillaboom, Grimmsnarl or Hattrene, Drednaw and Sirfetche'd. I'd basically just want more Galar Pokemon on his team since it needs more attention. I'm fine with Goh keeping Sobble since I think the capture episode worked and I liked what I saw of its evolution into Drizzle. While I also liked Goh bonding with Grookey, I still think I would have preferred for Ash to get it instead, if only so he could get another Galar Pokemon.

My team for Ash would be

Pikachu
Sobble - Drizzle - Inteleon (Whole arc about Sobble not wanting to battle until it becomes a Drizzile, when being protected by Galarfetch'd)
Galarfetch'd - Sirfetch'd (Disobedience arc after 2 straight losses against Nessa and Kabu). Evolves while saving Ash from Team Rocket.
Egg - Cufant - Copperajah - Baby of the group, even as a Copperajah. Main Gigantamax mon
Grookey - Thwackey - Rillaboom - Grookey gets banished from its group because its a different color (Yes, i am gonna give Ash a shiny starter). Joins Ash after Ash has helped it against it groups leader, which it gained respect from. Rillaboom wants to drum heavily, so it joins Piers and the Maximizer. However, its release is not a permanent one, as it returns to fight for Ash against Bede.
Dracovish - Ash received Dracovish after seeing its mistreatment by Cara Liss, who got arrested by the autorities. Officer Jenny saw that Dracovish was in the best hands with Ash. Proves a capable battler. Ash brings in Glalie and Buizel in order to trainer with Dracovish.
Stonjourner - Stonjourner is caught by Ash, because he got chased by one on his way to the Pokemon League. Ash thought it was an amazing battler, who knocked out Inteleon and Sirfetch'd in quick succession, despite having the type advantage. Ash then used Copperajah, who helped him catch the Stonjourner.

My team for Ash would be

Pikachu
Dragonite
Gengar
Egg - Riolu - Lucario
G-Farfetch'd - Sirfetch'd
Sobble
Flygon
Aerodactyl
Dracovish
Grookey
Absol
Salamence
Rookidee - Corvisquire - Corviknight

My personal Journeys dream team:
  • Pikachu (Gigantamax)
  • Eevee-->Espeon
  • Egg-->Riolu-->Lucario (gains access to Mega Evolution)
  • Farfetch'd-->Sirfetch'd
  • Dracovish
  • Absol
I tried to keep the theme of "all regions" and gave Ash a multi-gen team based on that, though Galar has more rep than the rest via Dracovish and Sirfetch'd because at the end of the day this is still Gen 8. Lucario and Sirfetch'd stay mainly because they're the two most well-developed members of the current Journeys team. Dracovish stays as well because I really like its personality. Espeon and Absol are admittedly pure unfiltered bias, since they're two Pokemon I happen to really like and would have liked to see Ash have. Ash's captures would be more spaced out, though, with the order in which they're all listed being the same as the order of their capture. This is mainly to allow each team member more time to get screentime and development; Lucario would probably spend a bit more time as a Riolu, for example, though this would also be in part because its capture would occur far earlier in my version of Journeys due to the absence of Dragonite and Gengar (Riolu's capture episode would happen in place of Gengar's). And he and Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd would get a proper rivalry which could even influence the bird's own arc: after Riolu evolves into Lucario, Farfetch'd feels frustrated as it appears his rival is ahead of him now and he wants to even the score, setting up the arc of becoming a Leek Master.

Eevee/Espeon replaces Dragonite as Ash's first capture of the series, and similarly fills the role of big sister of the Pokemon group, though she's not very good at it what with Riolu's and Farfetch'd's competitiveness, Dracovish's goofy tendencies, and Goh's and Chole's starters' antics, not helped by the fact that Eevee's smaller than most of them, meaning she's the victim of slapstick quite often. Despite technically being older, Eevee would actually evolve later than Riolu (who ironically despite his age, would be the first of Ash's Pokemon to evolve). Eevee forms a friendship with Pikachu because they're both the most mature of Ash's current party (the jealousy episode doesn't exist here), and potentially her evolution into Espeon is aided by Pikachu moreso than Ash.

Dracovish stays the same except it doesn't take so long for it to get focus.

Absol's the same one that appeared in the most recent episode, just with Ash catching it instead of Goh.

And I actually like that Ash didn't catch any starters this time around, since I feel that helped make his team feel more "unique", so to speak, so I decided to keep that as is. That said, Goh would not get all three of them as I'd give Sobble to Chloe (who would have more appearances and be properly part of the main cast as a result), who'd gradually evolve all the way into Inteleon as a way to reflect Chloe's own growth as a character.

Finally, something completely unrelated to Pokemon captures is that my version of Journeys would have the protagonists' base of operations situated in Galar rather than Kanto.

Huh, it seems like a lot of people would rather have a "Pokemon Sword & Shield" anime rather than the concept of all the different regions in one series.

It's not too surprising. I don't think that the whole world tour concept has been used particularly well as it is. They don't really make use of the different regions or their unique settings when they're often there for one episode, so it doesn't really shine a light to older regions. And the newest region, characters and Pokemon get the short end of the stick as a result. As the way it is currently being handled, the different regions setup doesn't really benefit current or past generations.

Plus, in regards to Ash's team, giving him mostly new unevolved Pokemon would potentially give his team more room to grow and still give Galar some much needed attention within the main cast.

Pikachu
Sobble > Drizzile > Inteleon
Dragonair > Dragonite
Haunter > Gengar
Kubfu > Urshifu (Single Strike)
Toxel > Toxtricity
Rookiedee > Corvisquire > Corviknight
[Quilava > Typhlosion : Joins the team for the JN series]

I'll assume that I'm in a world where people will simply nod their head to all my actions.
Then
With additional to the current team I would add
  • Umbreon, Quilva-> Thyphlosion
  • Sableye, Mawile, Absol
  • Piplup-> Prinplup-> Empoleon, Gible-> Gabite-> Garchomp
  • Zorua-> Zoroark, Pawniard-> Bisharp, Litwick-> Lampent-> Chandelure
  • Tyrantrum, Aegislash, Delphox
  • Silvally, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko
  • Inteleon, Corviknight, Orbeetle, Appletun, Toxtricity, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Perreserker, Dragapult, Urshifu, Regieleki, Regidrago, Galarian Articuno
This is an ideal team, I will make one Practical team later. Please don't throw rotten tomatoes.

I'll assume that I'm in a world where people will simply nod their head to all my actions.
Then
With additional to the current team I would add
  • Umbreon, Quilva-> Thyphlosion
  • Sableye, Mawile, Absol
  • Piplup-> Prinplup-> Empoleon, Gible-> Gabite-> Garchomp
  • Zorua-> Zoroark, Pawniard-> Bisharp, Litwick-> Lampent-> Chandelure
  • Tyrantrum, Aegislash, Delphox
  • Silvally, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko
  • Inteleon, Corviknight, Orbeetle, Appletun, Toxtricity, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Perreserker, Dragapult, Urshifu, Regieleki, Regidrago, Galarian Articuno
This is an ideal team, I will make one Practical team later. Please don't throw rotten tomatoes.
Wait, ALL OF THEM?!

There have been some really cool team concepts in this thread!

Well for starters (haha...okay, I'll see myself out), this would be a Galar-based team; no around the world concepts and all that.

Pikachu
Grookey > Thwackey > Rillaboom
Rookidee > Corvisquire > Corviknight
Dracovish
Gengar
Kubfu > Urshifu (Single Strike)

• Pikachu is a given.
  • I actually became more fond of Dracovish than I thought I would, so I think it should stay. It gives Ash both Water and Dragon-typing (RIP Dragonite), comic relief, and serves as a representation of Galarian fossils for viewers/children.
  • I really like Gengar's battle-style and its fight against Raichu remains one of my favorites in the series; its backstory was also touching and something they could easily slap in Galar. The Gengar line is in Galar too and it also gives Ash a Gigantimax form to use alongside Pikachu.
  • Corviknight as Ash needs a flyer; they're also really great Pokémon in general and I could see it battling as often as Talonflame did. Corviknight could give Ash some aerial shots too by flying him around just as the Corviknight Taxis do. Another Gigantimax form. Would be female.
  • Rillaboom because I feel that Ash should always have at least one Starter Pokemon. Ash serves as an audience surrogate for young players and young players usually use a Starter. I like Cinderace with Go and don't mind Drizzile with him either, but Ash gets the monkey. Also serves as comic relief its first two stages and gives the party another Gigantimax Form. Would be female and be the "Team Mom" upon becoming a Rillaboom.
  • Ash would do what the players does but with Kubfu; Single Strike because I feel like it represents Ash's personality and style more. Offers comic relief as a Kubfu (and has a jealousy of Pikachu), but grows out of it as an Urshifu (unless a certain honey is involved); has a Gigantimax form.
*Seeing as how 5/6 members of this party can Gigantimax, there can be an episode dedicated to Ash's party finding Max Mushrooms, making the soup, and consuming it to gain the effect; Dracovish either isn't in the party at the time or is swimming around the ocean outside.

Tough question......
I have been wondering it after all the issues regarding focus......
But if I did, then:
  • Pikachu, the Immovable one.
  • Gengar, I liked the episodes that introduced it and the capture one. Needs another.
  • Kairyuu, they bonded before he caught it.
  • Sirnight/Brimuon: Unique typing and characteristics; how would the way they connect, being emotion-sensitive, to him is interesting.
    • Casey > Yungerer, another from Kanto I know; but giving its lack of appearances due to the ban. I'd like a great comeback.
  • Egg (Maybe) > Erezun > Strinder (Low): Raising a baby, done right this time. Instead of rushing it, like Lucario. It's time for another Electric type. It may be a reference to Agoyon, that was a Poison type too.
  • Kamon: Surprisingly; its Arc, despite the episodes being a bit too separated, won me over.
The Returning: Gekkouga, with Kyodaimax.
Bonus choice: Porygon-Z, another ban that I feel needs to end. It's one of my favourite lines.
Those that were considered, but then discarded: Inteleon, Flygon, Erureido and Absol.

Last edited:
If we are going by the journeys format of world traveling I think the Pokémon Ash should used are the ones that he has at Oaks lab. I say this because of the heavy lack of focus his current journeys team has and if they used his older teams they wouldn't need to put much focus on them because they already have a region of experience and development. I also think using his older Pokémon could make some bad decision a bit more palpable like the jump in ranks because who gonna doubt Charizard, Snorlax, Sceptile, Infernape and Krookodile from ripping apart trainers in lower ranks. It also could give redemption to Pokémon who are strong but got screwed because of circumstances like Torterra and Noivern. I also think they could evolve some of Ash mons like Boldore, Pignite, Buizel, Corphish and Bayleef. They also could use the smaller and simple pokemon like Oshawott and Gible on the adventure with Ash so it make it he doesn't only bring Pikachu and I say this because when Riolu evolved into a Lucario it started to show up less and less because I think the animator couldn't draw Lucario consistently.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom