• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN068: A Rival for Go!? The Road to Mew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what path has this rival taken to capture Mew, and what case he has for aspiring to catch one, and how that compares to Go's. It’ll be interesting to see the contrast.
How can you even compare? It is catching Mew. You cant compare it to battling, how do you mesure progression? .

How can you even compare? It is catching Mew. You cant compare it to battling, how do you mesure progression? .
We can compare their motives and their methods to get Mew. Go is currently on a track to capture all Pokémon to get to Mew, which is honestly a rather weak "progression". I’d like to see what are the new guy's motives and ways to approach the goal and if it makes any more sense than Go's.

We can compare their motives and their methods to get Mew. Go is currently on a track to capture all Pokémon to get to Mew, which is honestly a rather weak "progression". I’d like to see what are the new guy's motives and ways to approach the goal and if it makes any more sense than Go's.
I'm kinda interested to see how this new guy goes about trying to catch Mew also, as well as his motivation. Chances are its probably more interesting than Goh's method though.

I don't think you are supposed to take the "Capture every pokemon on my way to Mew" as Goh's intended method of capturing Mew, just that Mew is his ultimate goal and he is also capturing other pokemon until he catches Mew.

The episode 6 captures had nothing to do with Mew outside of a retroactive justification, and he wouldn't have gone to catch Mew in episode 46 if he was set on catching all other pokemon as some sort of lead up. I also doubt he would stop catching pokemon if he caught Mew.

Unless he ends up using the combined genes to form some sort of Mew scanner, which he already has, then the justification is just a piece of clunky writing to tie to two goals together.

Similarly, the new guys will likely be catching various pokemon on their paths to Mew, with maybe a greater focus on legendaries and mythicals. That is likely where the real measure of their rivalry will take place, rather than with Mew itself. Though we may seeGoh/ his rivals form/ fail to form bonds with Mew prior to capture as another indicator of their progress, and if we get a situation where Goh has to form a bond with Mew, perhaps we will actually see his justification play off if he incorporates lessons learnt from interacting with his other pokemon.

I still think Go will take the Pokemon researcher path as shown in the Darkest Day arc, rather than actually catching Mew. I basically interpreted it as, we can see another take on the same goal in this episode, so I’d like to see how the writers handle that. I hope they don’t make the rival outright bad or abusive to get is to root for Go, and actually give us a compelling argument.

The first question that occurred in my mind when I saw Project Mew was "What would justify Go being more deserving of Mew than these other people?" And I think the show would try to answer it as well, since well, the show wants us to root for him. I just want to see that answer in the the form of a rival.

Really looking forward to the start of the Project Mew arc, a bit disappointed that Chloe isn't tagging along but Gary doing so will be great
Dephender clearified that Gary will appear in Kanto because he came back for Moltres

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504_171205_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504_171205_com.android.chrome.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 109
Please tell me Gary isn't only appearing in this episode, it has so much crammed in already
I will be surprised if he appears for more than one episode, but I doubt it. JN has one rule: old characters dont get more than one episode screentime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom