• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Maybe it's an unpopular opinion but I like regions with monoclimate (like Hoenn and Alola) to regions with weird mixes with desert, snow and everything in between like Unova. It's just more believable like that. Snow especially looks out of place in most regions, I think they just should have made ice pokemon catchable in buildings such as Cold Storage or ice cream cafes not to destroy overall aesthetic.

Personally, I want a complete desert next. All warm regions so far have been jungles and I want rocky terrains and sandstorms, no jungles. Instead, there will be mystical temples and caves, (pyramids!) and oases on the routes where you can recharge.
I know I'm replying to a somewhat old comment, but I definitely agree that I would be fine with a more monoclimate region when it comes to adapting certain countries instead of trying to force say, rainforests into Egypt or wherever (seriously though, Egypt Region when?)

I'm rather reminded of the map of the Orre Region - and I know it's from a side-game but I felt it handled the supposed lack of "biome-diversity" that people have been bringing up recently fine in my opinion while having its own distinctive style.

1618868914512.png

I want to agree with the preceding thoughts, and I do appreciate realism (potentially BotW's rainfall patterns?), but also:

GIVE ME MY VOLCANO FOREST DESERT ICYPLACE MOUNTAINS UNDERWATERCAVERNS ODDLYPLACEDWATERFALLS MAGNETICPLACE ET ALL
(oh hey it happens to be earth day)

On the subject of climate and biomes, does anyone else find it a bit odd how Galar has a cold region in the north (Route 10), and a cold region in the south (the Crown Tundra), but a milder climate in the middle? Are there are real-world countries that are like that?

I'd like to see a new region based on one of these places:

Iceland
Svalbard
China/Nepal (Mount Everest please!)
India
Somewhere in Africa (Egypt is a cool idea, or perhaps somewhere like Namibia which has that iconic savanna landscape)
The Netherlands
Canada
Australia
New Zealand
Greece (Pokemon would have a field day with Greek mythology)
Antarctica! (Might be good for an open world game?)

On the subject of climate and biomes, does anyone else find it a bit odd how Galar has a cold region in the north (Route 10), and a cold region in the south (the Crown Tundra), but a milder climate in the middle? Are there are real-world countries that are like that?
I think it just has to do with elevation. Since both areas appear to be high-up, it would make sense that they are colder.

I think a really neat generational gimmick could be, if done right, Shadow Pokemon. Yeah they originate from the GameCube games Colosseum and XD, and they're also present in Pokemon Go, in additional, something called "dark Pokemon" exists in some other forms of media in english, such as the Celebi movie. Also, Primal Dialga in Japan is actually called Dark Dialga. I feel like they could consolidate all of these terms into just Shadow Pokemon and people would be fine with it. Also note that shadow Pokemon themselves are also called dark Pokemon in Japan, so localized in America they'd be known as Shadow Pokemon, but they'd be Dark Pokemon in Japan. Primal Dialga could even just be a special form of shadow/dark Pokemon, similar to how Shadow Lugia receives special treatment with it's color changes in XD.

They could expand on the concept besides just being a visual effect or maybe giving them a special move, I'd take some inspiration from Pokemon Go, where the stats are a lot lower until you purify it, so for example, a Shadow Lugia vs. a normal Lugia might have much lower base stats, but could have much more powerful moves or some ability to highlight the fact that this is an enraged/berserk version of a Lugia that makes it powerful in a different way from normal Lugia, you could think of this as similar to region forms, where everything about the Pokemon is fair game to change, although with regional forms, types tend to change and base stats only see mild changes, the difference with Shadow Pokemon is that 1. every Pokemon could in theory have a Shadow variant, 2. types would not change, as that has never been a feature with Shadow Pokemon, 3. their base stats could change dramatically, unlike with regional variants, 4. they would learn an exclusive Shadow move that, similar to in XD, could roll for super effective damage vs. any non-Shadow Pokemon.

I could get on board with that. I'd prefer they all come with new, unique color pallets (like an evil version of shinies), but either way I imagine some Shadow variants would express themselves as more unique forms, similar to how every monster can Dynamax, but only some can G-Max.

Honestly, with James Turner's increasing presence within the company, I've been wondering if Shadow Lugia might be made official, since he designed it.

The mythology nerd in me would love a Greek or Egyptian region. I could see a Zeus legendary giving arceus a run for its money.

Though I dunno how many more sun themed pokemon we need. "Hello yes I am Ra the sun god pokemon" Solgaleo: Get out of my house"

Also if we ever get an Australian region I will set everything on fire if we don't get someone who even mildly references steve irwin. I just want one. Don't ask me why. There's no answer I can give you.

How would you feel if they changed the starters primary types? I think it would be cool if they did a fighting/psychic/dark or rock/fighting/flying trio. They've definitely played around with the idea of fighting/psychic/dark working as a trio with galarian zapdos,articuno, and moltres, so maybe that could be a hint towards gen 9, especially since they usually hint towards the next gen in their games.

*I'm still making my way through New Pokémon Snap so if this is completely wrong feel free to correct me.*

So like, this might be completely off the wall bonkers, but I can't help but notice one of the trivia messages that pop up during the loading screen of NPS talks about the pictures on the wall of the Laboratory and how they were taken by Rita but the Professor has no clue where they're from.

Now it could be something later in the story, but assuming it isn't then could these pictures be hinting as to the location of Gen 9? :confused:

How would you feel if they changed the starters primary types? I think it would be cool if they did a fighting/psychic/dark or rock/fighting/flying trio.
I like this idea, but I think it would be better if Gamefreak kept the Water/Fire/Grass trio. It’s a good introduction to the types chart, makes sense to beginners, and is useful for early game to learn the types of Pokémon.

*I'm still making my way through New Pokémon Snap so if this is completely wrong feel free to correct me.*

So like, this might be completely off the wall bonkers, but I can't help but notice one of the trivia messages that pop up during the loading screen of NPS talks about the pictures on the wall of the Laboratory and how they were taken by Rita but the Professor has no clue where they're from.

Now it could be something later in the story, but assuming it isn't then could these pictures be hinting as to the location of Gen 9? :confused:
What kind of hints?

How would you feel if they changed the starters primary types? I think it would be cool if they did a fighting/psychic/dark or rock/fighting/flying trio. They've definitely played around with the idea of fighting/psychic/dark working as a trio with galarian zapdos,articuno, and moltres, so maybe that could be a hint towards gen 9, especially since they usually hint towards the next gen in their games.
They did allude to that with the secondary typings of the Kalos starters! I agree though that it would be cool to see them shake up the formula like that, but I can't help but think that changing the original core may not work well with newer players. The fire-water-grass core works so well because the strengths/weaknesses seem a little more intuitive than fighting-dark-psychic.

Basically it's easier to explain that fire burns grass but is put out by water than a dark type taking no damage from psychic Pokemon but almost dying to a boxer or humanoid muscle freak lol.

I actually expect an East Asian-inspired region for Gen 9. Everyone has suggested China (or Hong Kong more specifically) but it would be cool to see them doing regions based on Thailand or even Korea (though that could be controversial with some nationalists...)

I wouldn't be against a California or Australian region either. Any of those would be amazing to play and seem the most realistic at the moment imo.

I was also wondering about this and was about to do a big speculation post about it because Pokemon games have hinted towards future ones in the past, but while doing some research I discovered that these photos simply depict some concept art from the recent Pokemon movie Coco. Here are some screenshots.

E05dGdOVgAAZr8y.jpeg
E05dGdiVIAEVyM7.jpeg

I knew the red-roofed building in the smaller picture looked familiar, but I couldn't place it.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom