• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

XY Satoshi was very similar to DP Satoshi IIRC. Both had childish and mature moments, funny and serious actions, etc... Which I actually prefer over having him act like a child most of the time (as happens in BW and SM for example). He didn't seem like a kid his age in some instances, sure, but so does a bunch of other shounen characters from other series (I'd never thought Urameshi Yuusuke to be 14 or Seiya to be 13 for example, for me they were much older).

Wait, Yusuke and Seiya weren't 17???
No xD It says so in the first episode of Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Urameshi Yuusuke, 14 years old xDD Seiya's age I got from a manga issue I had in the past (besides he went to train for 6 years in Greece when he was still a child, makes sense for him to be in his pre-teens at most).

The anime needs to have a return to the XY seriousness, IMO. That's when I remember it having the most hype.
It was great, but looking back it, it might've also been a bit too serious. To me, Journeys Ash feels like a perfect combination of XY Ash's competency and SM Ash's lightheartedness. Not to say that SM Ash was incompetent, of course. Because he wasn't.

In a lot of ways I think where XY went wrong is that it was more interested in buildup than payoff.
They try to set Ash up as really cool and respected...but they won't let him make appreciable progress as a trainer.
They set up a romance arc...that goes nowhere.
They set up Greninja as having a special bond and power...then release him so nothing comes of it we hadn't seen other Pokémon accomplish without that.
The whole thing is just so bizarre from a writing standpoint I'm more and more starting to wonder if the lat minute force to switch theory might be true.

Sadly, I suspect it accidentally hurled a metaphorical brick through the window and the show will never build up that sort of anticipation again.

tl;dr: XY was Game of Thrones ending but rated G.

Edit: Forgot to address this!
XY Satoshi was very similar to DP Satoshi IIRC. Both had childish and mature moments, funny and serious actions, etc... Which I actually prefer over having him act like a child most of the time (as happens in BW and SM for example). He didn't seem like a kid his age in some instances, sure, but so does a bunch of other shounen characters from other series (I'd never thought Urameshi Yuusuke to be 14 or Seiya to be 13 for example, for me they were much older).
Yeah, I personally don't care at all about Ash's physically-impossible age of 10. When I watched XY Ash felt in line with what I would expect from a character who'd gone through what he did on-screen with Kanto as the startpoint.

Wait, Yusuke and Seiya weren't 17???
Seiya was 13 years old when the series started. He just looks older than he is and some dubs/adaptations took advantage of it.

I favour XY Satoshi because he's very focused and channels his experience.
Journeys' Satoshi, aka the Carton Cutout, it's my least favourite ever.

Satoshi used to participate in almost every competition he came across.

I go with him being 17 as for now.
Obviously he's older than Gou.

What's the theory?
It's nothing really complex; it's just been suggested (occasionally stated as fact but as far as I know it has never been confirmed) that Alain defeating Ash twice before the league and Lysandre's interest in Battle Bond suggest Ash was supposed to win the finals, but late on somebody high up (I usually see it blamed on anonymous executives) forced them to change it for unknown reasons.

XY was a series, that, if the end is taken into account, failed so hard.
But the buildup was absolutely something special, that I want again.
I wouldn't say XY failed; it's still got a lot of fans. It just built up more hype than it could deliver on.

Last edited:
People who make nsfw generalizations about why people like Humanoid Pokémon are annoying, gross, and eye-roll worthy

I've heard people asking shit like :"Oh you like Gardevoir/Incineroar/Inteleon? You just want to **** it don't you?"

This type of thought process has never come to my head when thinking about these Pokémon (or any Pokémon) and it makes me feel physically ill that it's the first thing that comes to people's minds when they're mentioned

It's even dumber considering that the majority are Humanoid Pokémon aren't even the top contenders for amount of furry art in this Fandom. (The Eeveelutions get this in spades but nobody says that people only like them for NSFW purposes :rolleyes: )

In a lot of ways I think where XY went wrong is that it was more interested in buildup than payoff.
They try to set Ash up as really cool and respected...but they won't let him make appreciable progress as a trainer.
They set up a romance arc...that goes nowhere.
They set up Greninja as having a special bond and power...then release him so nothing comes of it we hadn't seen other Pokémon accomplish without that.
The whole thing is just so bizarre from a writing standpoint I'm more and more starting to wonder if the lat minute force to switch theory might be true.

To be fair in regards to the romance arc, I think that the kiss in the finale was the most they could have reasonably done with it. I remember quite a few people wanted Ash to win the Kalos League and ride off into the sunset with Serena as his girlfriend, but that just wouldn't have made sense. They couldn't have Ash and Serena in an actual relationship given their two storylines and especially with Ash always being the protagonist. I don't think that they could have done anything beyond the confession and even that was more than fans expected.

The points on the buildup for Ash and especially Greninja are pretty understandable though. Even though I guess they're kind of the same point, I was more annoyed with Greninja's full power not leading to it defeating Mega Charizard X than Ash losing the Kalos League if that makes any sense. It still wasn't pointless when mastering its new power was still a major help in the Team Flare arc and I really liked Ash reconnecting with Greninja after losing in the eighth Gym, but it definitely seemed like there was more buildup going for Ash-Greninja beyond that. A part of me wouldn't be surprised if there was a last minute change with the Kalos League, mainly because Alain winning didn't really matter in the long run.

Daren said:
Sadly, I suspect it accidentally hurled a metaphorical brick through the window and the show will never build up that sort of anticipation again.

tl;dr: XY was Game of Thrones ending but rated G.

I'm not sure if it's that bad. I've never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones and I only know of the ending's reputation, but despite the lackluster payoff for the Kalos League and Greninja, I don't think it really affected XY's overall reception. It still seems to be pretty popular and well received from what I can tell. Despite all of the intense initial backlash for the Kalos League itself, things calmed down pretty quickly with the Team Flare arc. Although, I think that it also led to people thinking that XY was more serious and intense than it really was as a result.

Personally, I don't think that XY Ash was really that more serious either. It might have been because it was right after BW or due how the last chuck of XY was, but I always felt like saying that he was too serious to still be ten and similar notions was a bit much. Both SM and Journeys make him feel more like a ten year old kid with his demeanor by comparison, but he still didn't really come off too differently than he did during DP to me.

Alright, from watching this thread around like 5-6 months without opening an account, I finally found courage to open this account and share my opinions
Firstly I'm not a troll just to make it clear, I'm starting, here's my controversial takes.

1. XY Ash deserved to lose Kalos League.

2. Like How Greninja received Battle Bound thing, Delphox and Chesnaught should've gotten something like that too.

3. We need Pokemons talk eachother need to be translated with subtitles (maybe not always and not necessary but it wouldn't hurt)

4. Delphox is not Ugly (as well as Emboar) as peoples make out to be.

5. They should bring back Sceptile instead of Infernape, for more development cause for me, Sceptile kinda didn't develop as much as other aces Ash had, Like Charizard got itself an Arc and learning to listen Ash again, and Greninja having a whole season dedicated to it.
(I'm not saying this to see Sceptile more, and yes I know anime is in a way to promote games but Infernape's story ended on a very good note, If they HAVE to bring a Sinnoh Starter back, they can use Torterra, it didn't got much development)

But then again these are my opinions, feel free to disagree with me.

Friendly Reminder
Just a friendly reminder that this thread is for controversial opinions on specifically the anime. Our Video Games section has an equivalent thread for anything pertaining to the games such as Pokémon designs etc.

I've never seen a single episode of Game of Thrones and I only know of the ending's reputation, but despite the lackluster payoff for the Kalos League and Greninja, I don't think it really affected XY's overall reception. It still seems to be pretty popular and well received from what I can tell.
And at least with that, there's still people who like and talk about the show even with knowing about that ending whereas with Game of Thrones the minute the final episode aired and angered everyone, they pretty much proceeded to wipe all of their memories of said show clean and now I don't see a single person talk about it these days.

It went from being one of the biggest shows of all time... to just another flavor of the month that quickly hit it's best before date.

Back
Top Bottom