• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Continuing on with Adventures-related opinions. Another aspect of it that I hate is now many villains are made evil to the point they could be seen as being disgustingly evil. As in, evil to the point that you don't necessarily even enjoy seeing them being evil and just want them to be gone already.

As the Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon chapter is still fresh in my memory, I'll use Faba as an example. Remember how in the games, he's a pretty harmless second-in-command villain who talks big, but always ends up screwing up? Well, in Adventures, he was actually responsible for Mohn's disappearance. He was lustful towards Lusamine and wanted to make her love him, so he pushed Mohn through an Ultra Wormhole on purpose, instead of him disappearing into one by accident, like in the games. Lusamine thought he had abandoned her, starting her descend into insanity (seeing UBs as her "children" who never abandoned her). And when Lusamine still didn't show any signs of affection towards him, Faba decided to make sure that neither she nor her family would ever be happy again. To the point that he, at one point, even tries to murder her by sending Plumeria after her, disguised as the female protagonist of the the chapter.

And while not a villain, Mohn's situation isn't much better. Due to the Poké Pelago being changed into an unfulfilled dream the male main character wants to realize, Mohn isn't living a blissfully oblivious life there, instead wandering Alola without any memories of who he is, feeling sad without knowing why and crying out of missing the family he doesn't even remember he has.

Last edited:
Continuing on with Adventures-related opinions. Another aspect of it that I hate is now many villains are made evil to the point they could be seen as being disgustingly evil. As in, evil to the point that you don't necessarily even enjoy seeing them being evil and just want them to be gone already.

As the Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon chapter is still fresh in my memory, I'll use Faba as an example. Remember how in the games, he's a pretty harmless second-in-command villain who talks big, but always ends up screwing up? Well, in Adventures, he was actually responsible for Mohn's disappearance. He was lustful towards Lusamine and wanted to make her love him, so he pushed Mohn through an Ultra Wormhole on purpose, instead of him disappearing into one by accident, like in the games. Lusamine thought he had abandoned her, starting her descend into insanity (seeing UBs as her "children" who never abandoned her). And when Lusamine still didn't show any signs of affection towards him, Faba decided to make sure that neither she nor her family would ever be happy again. To the point that he, at one point, even tries to murder her by sending Plumeria after her, disguised as the female protagonist of the the chapter.

And while not a villain, Mohn's situation isn't much better. Due to the Poké Pelago being changed into an unfulfilled dream the male main character wants to realize, Mohn isn't living a blissfully oblivious life there, instead wandering Alola without any memories of who he is, feeling sad without knowing why and crying out of missing the family he doesn't even remember he has.
.....You know i'm glad I stopped after reading the Diamond and Pearl chapter of Adventures. And also those are the only chapters of Adventures I read. Because dear god what is this even!?

I haven't read much of Adventures, but from what I have read of it, I think one very important, crucial thing that the anime has a definite edge over Adventures is that the former treats the Pokemon themselves as actual characters with their own quirks and personalities and even sub-stories, making it especially ironic that Adventures reveals each MC's Pokemon's Natures (though it's very much done in a "tell, don't show" way for obvious reasons). Like, you can say whatever you want about the anime Pokemon that get the short end of the stick but most of them still display way more personality than the Adventures Pokemon, who for the most part exist literally only to fight and do nothing else, do.

Alright, here's my controversial opinion that applies for both anime and games.
Whining fans ruins everything, they ruin the direction both anime and games go most of the time, now before jumping on me saying "you don't want them to criticise it?"
No, they don't criticise, when something sligtly goes out of their wanted list, they draw it and say it's the "worst" anime/games. Twitter and Youtube comment section proves me right most of the time.

Alright, here's my controversial opinion that applies for both anime and games.
Whining fans ruins everything, they ruin the direction both anime and games go most of the time, now before jumping on me saying "you don't want them to criticise it?"
No, they don't criticise, when something sligtly goes out of their wanted list, they draw it and say it's the "worst" anime/games. Twitter and Youtube comment section proves me right most of the time.
Like with the new games coming out?

I haven't read much of Adventures, but from what I have read of it, I think one very important, crucial thing that the anime has a definite edge over Adventures is that the former treats the Pokemon themselves as actual characters with their own quirks and personalities and even sub-stories

Not really that controversial.

People don't read this series for the Pokemon; they read it for the humans. I feel I should point out that there's nothing wrong with that; the games basically exclusively focus on the humans as well.

Secondly, yes, Pokespe doesn't focus on the Pokemon as much, but a number of the Pokemon do in fact have well-established personalities and even the occasional plot focusing on them.

Like, you can say whatever you want about the anime Pokemon that get the short end of the stick but most of them still display way more personality than the Adventures Pokemon, who for the most part exist literally only to fight and do nothing else, do.

I think you're ignoring a key factor here: time.

The anime is weekly, episodic, and has a lot of filler to flesh out its sizable cast. By contrast, Pokespe is monthly, story-driven, and constantly has to deal with a new main series game coming out every year, meaning it can't afford to take breaks.

It's rare, but I have seen people rag on Pokespe for favoring humans over Pokemon. What I think people need to realize is how it's nearly impossible to develop both the main characters and their Pokemon while also trying to tell a story.

It's an issue with a lot of story-driven Pokemon manga, most of which try to alleviate by giving the protagonist a single Pokemon.

Like with the new games coming out?

Honestly, not only for games, sometimes anime fans does that too (maybe not often as mainline game fans but you get the point)
They are the peoples probably ruined gen 6 in a way (not talking about anime games this time)
there are also a few things anime fans did absurd things but I can't remember right now.

They are the peoples probably ruined gen 6 in a way (not talking about anime games this time)
I usually don’t have a problem with people criticising something but you actually happened to mention the one time I got tired- the Kalos anime loss. It was a time where the entire fanbase broke down and had a childlike tantrum. I was disappointed, but then I moved on with my day. Some people still haven’t moved on from Greninja, Serena and Alain and I find that weird.

Some people still haven’t moved on from Greninja, Serena and Alain and I find that weird.

Ok, I could maybe understand that at the times like beginning of Sun and Moon, but yeah, people really need to move on, MG X was kicking 10 Megas but with not that much of a problem, Greninja was tired af after one Mega, what were they expecting?

So what is the time limit on criticism? I still see people ragging on things older than the invention of video games, so whatever it is the Kalos league is still well within it.
Edit: Now that I've woken up a bit more I feel this is a bit snarkier than intended, for which I apologize.
Ultimately, discussion of how a story develops will continue for a very long time, and the Kalos league became one of the most unusual moments in the series because of how it developed up to that point.

MG X was kicking 10 Megas but with not that much of a problem, Greninja was tired af after one Mega, what were they expecting?
I don't think this sort of argument works for a series with loose power levels as this; if Pikachu goes from beating Regice to getting crumped by a Magikarp there's no reason Zard X couldn't have lost.

Last edited:
MG X was kicking 10 Megas but with not that much of a problem, Greninja was tired af after one Mega, what were they expecting?
This is the same anime where a Pikachu can tie with a Latios at one point but lose to a rookies Snivy. The anime as shown us that it doesn't matter what you done in the past you can still be beaten like everyone else.

I usually don’t have a problem with people criticising something but you actually happened to mention the one time I got tired- the Kalos anime loss. It was a time where the entire fanbase broke down and had a childlike tantrum. I was disappointed, but then I moved on with my day. Some people still haven’t moved on from Greninja, Serena and Alain and I find that weird.
Honestly, the reason why I’m so mad that he lost Kalos is that he won Alola. I know I need to move on but it still stings...

This is the same anime where a Pikachu can tie with a Latios at one point but lose to a rookies Snivy. The anime as shown us that it doesn't matter what you done in the past you can still be beaten like everyone else.
Pikachu’s changes occurred in an entirely different series- where they were trying by to tell a different story and needed different plots. It may be bad or good writing but they had a plot to tell where Pikachu would lose to a level 1 Snivy. The narrative was separate from Sinnoh.

Meanwhile, Charizard throughout remains the part of the same narrative and maintains its strength. We haven’t seen any instances of Pokémon losing strength within the course of their story arc randomly.

Honestly, the reason why I’m so mad that he lost Kalos is that he won Alola. I know I need to move on but it still stings...
I still don't think it’s something to be mad about since his champion status is never acknowledged. If he somehow won the Kalos league and moved to Alola without the champion title being mentioned along with the tonal change, it’d have seen much worse vitriol than Unova.

Maybe if SM didn’t exist and we immediately moved to PWC after XY then I could’ve seen Ash win in kalos.

Last edited:
Honestly, the reason why I’m so mad that he lost Kalos is that he won Alola.
I believe somebody brought this up once before but it's a lose-lose situation either way. He actually won, but some people say it doesn't count. But if he lost, people will complain that he lost such an easy league.

I think that this is the worst part of it. What was the point of making him a champion if they weren't going to do anything with it.
It might come up. I believe DP took a long time to acknowledge the Battle Frontier.
From a meta standpoint they probably wouldn't have done the PWC without the Alola win.

I believe somebody brought this up once before but it's a lose-lose situation either way. He actually won, but some people say it doesn't count. But if he lost, people will complain that he lost such an easy league.
And I have a feeling this was intentional. There're theories out there that Satoshi was supposed to win in Kalos but the higher-ups vetoed it in order to keep the status-quo (not confirmed but it makes sense). Let's say, assuming half of it is the truth (Status-quo is God), Alola was the perfect setting to give him his first league victory ever (most of the competitors were weaker than previous tournaments, anyone could enter, it was Alola's first league conference ever, etc etc...). Status-quo was somewhat kept, yet Satoshi finally got to win it.

It might come up. I believe DP took a long time to acknowledge the Battle Frontier.
From a meta standpoint they probably wouldn't have done the PWC without the Alola win.
Could had done like the Sword and Shield games did and have him be recommended by a champion for the PWC.

Back
Top Bottom