• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Not sure how controversial this is, but Keldeo and the Swords of Justice is one of the most underrated pokemon movies ever. The action is fast and well-done, the movie stays focused on the plot and develops Keldeo as a character throughout, and the ways that Iris, Cilan, and Ash all showed off their own characters throughout this movie without feeling as if they were just "there" was amazing. The subtle moments that established every character relationship was very nice to see and something that the pokemon anime in general excells at. Sure, the beginning was badly paced, and there were a couple other problems, but as a whole, the movie is just underrated. I liked this one more than The Rise of Darkrai, which I actually feel is an overrated movie.

I haven't ever really been able to watch the anime fully (even as a kid I missed most of every season- I'd say the one I saw the most of is probably Indigo League and Orange Islands) and only caught a few episodes every few seasons until Black and White when I dropped out completely.

My Controversial Opinion: I'd probably be more likely to start watching the anime again if it focused more on pokemon in nature or just their behavior in the world in general over the humans doing literally anything. Unless Piers is involved. Like, get me a nature documentary series of the pokemon world and I would buy ALL THE DVDS.

Also another one: Even though I haven't watched most of the Anime from what I have seen of it I will make the statement that GOH IS THE BEST 'COMPANION' CHARACTER YET. Goh for protagonist. Throw out the eternal baby Ash.

It did hit Weepinbell before it got poisoned though.
Nope, Weepinbell jumped over Flame Charge to poison it.

Thing is, landing a hit is... not a test of strength so much as timing and circumstance. You always say Talonflame is far stronger than Greninja, even though regular Greninja was overpowering the same Abomasnow that floored the bird without taking a hit. By your own logic, Greninja is stronger.

Yes but Goh does not have years of adventures under his belt yet, so at least for now him being 10 is tolerable for me.
If he became the long term protagonist he’ll gradually reach there... That’s the Pokémon protagonist syndrome for you.

Talonflame is officially stronger than Infernape, since unlike Talonflame, Infernape couldn't land a hit on Moltres.
Muk is officially stronger than Pikachu, since unlike Muk, Pikachu couldn't land a hit on Bellsprout.

I mean, Gary was in the first episode, reappeared after a decade of absence, and is the same age.
Ever since Cyrus started poking the God of Time with a stick nobody has aged right. Sometimes they even age backwards.

Well.. technically Ash's brother has aged, since if he didn't, Burnet still would be pregnant.

.....You know i'm glad I stopped after reading the Diamond and Pearl chapter of Adventures. And also those are the only chapters of Adventures I read. Because dear god what is this even!?
Agreed. And remember how crazy Lusamine was in climax of Pokémon Sun and Moon? Well, here's how she looks in same situation in the manga. As usual, taken up to eleven. Especially in the volume release.
C47699C-N539345N-11.jpg
IMG_20210529_201137_HDR.jpg

Agreed. And remember how crazy Lusamine was in climax of Pokémon Sun and Moon? Well, here's how she looks in same situation in the manga. As usual, taken up to eleven. Especially in the volume release.

Is this supposed to be weird or scary? It does look slightly unsettling but that's all.

I haven't read much of Adventures, but from what I have read of it, I think one very important, crucial thing that the anime has a definite edge over Adventures is that the former treats the Pokemon themselves as actual characters with their own quirks and personalities and even sub-stories, making it especially ironic that Adventures reveals each MC's Pokemon's Natures (though it's very much done in a "tell, don't show" way for obvious reasons). Like, you can say whatever you want about the anime Pokemon that get the short end of the stick but most of them still display way more personality than the Adventures Pokemon, who for the most part exist literally only to fight and do nothing else, do.
This is especially apparent with one of the manga protagonists, Crystal, whose literal shtick is being a catching expert. By the end of her debut chapter alone, she has managed to catch every single non-Legendary or Mythical Pokémon of Kanto and Johto. And for what purpose? Nothing whatsoever, besides just completing the Pokédex. They just sit at Oak's Lab without any purpose whatsoever. At least Goh is actually shown interacting and befriending the Pokémon he catches.
People don't read this series for the Pokemon; they read it for the humans. I feel I should point out that there's nothing wrong with that; the games basically exclusively focus on the humans as well.
And more specifically, they read it for the main characters. Because many times main characters take over roles from other characters and reduce the significance they had in the games by a lot. Examples include Lillie, whom Nebby abandons for the female main protagonist as soon as it evolved the second time, without having even spent pretty much any time with said protagonist before this; Hau, who serves a notable role in the games, especially the Ultra games, but in the manga, is reduced to a side character who hardly has any impact on the plot whatsoever; and Hop, whose endorsement from the games instead goes to the other main character (that's right: manga Leon chooses to endorse a stranger over his own brother), and as such, becomes a minor supporting character with a crush to the female protagonist, due to them both being hyperactive loudmouths.
Is this supposed to be weird or scary? It does look slightly unsettling but that's all.
Up to each reader how they react to it. I personally find it unsettling too, and kinda disturbing.

Up to each reader how they react to it. I personally find it unsettling too, and kinda disturbing.
Cmon, I've seen a book about a teenage girl turning into a gumdrop angel and get eaten alive by a bunch of toddlers, If that wasn't disturbing, then I don't know what it was.

Cmon, I've seen a book about a teenage girl turning into a gumdrop angel and get eaten alive by a bunch of toddlers, If that wasn't disturbing, then I don't know what it was.
Different genres have different standards of stuff which can be considered disturbing. For Pokémon standards, I'd say that was at least mildly disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom