• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Worst Gag Pokémon?

Reaction score
Every anime series has had at least one so called "gag Pokémon", which the audience is intended to find funny. However, not all kinds of humor always work for everyone. Which gag Pokémon has worked the worst in your opinion?

Oshawott. Never funny to me, and the BW anime specially had this way of being too ''gag heavy'' on it's humor and run said gags to the ground and still used them cuz they did not knew how to make humor otherwise.

To be frank running gags in the Pokemon anime as a whole have always been pretty overused imo, but BW managed to cranck it up to 15 somehow.

Tie for me between Rowlet and Sobble.

Rowlet I found that they used the sleeping gag far too much to the point that it came across as lazy. This on its own wouldn’t be too bad as we have Snorlax who was known for sleeping. My problem with it was that the writers couldn’t decide whether it was a gag Pokemon or a powerhouse. It would constantly be given wins and powerups that were completely undeserved considering how it spent most of the time just sleeping and, unlike Torracat and Lycanroc, you can count the number of times it actually trained on one hand. Outside of that, the sleeping gag just wasn’t funny especially when it would just go to sleep at inappropriate times.

Sobble because they’ve just run the gag of it either crying easily or being frightened and turning invisible into the ground. Wouldn’t be as bad if it actually did something more than once in a blue moon but the majority of the time it just exists as a prop causing the gag to be practically the only thing it has going for it.

Oshawott. Being unfunny is bad enough already, but Oshawott's Imma-constantly-steal-food-from-my-traumatized-teammate-and-get-away-with-it-because-it's-somehow-okay-if-a-cute-character-does-it gag took it up a notch and went straight into downright mean-spirited territory which didn't sit well with me at all. I get what they were going for with this: the idea of a tiny otter having a bigger appetite than a pig (an animal frequently stereotyped as being gluttonous) does have some good comedic potential in theory, but the problem is that they did this while also giving Pignite a traumatic backstory where he nearly starved, meaning the joke inevitably fell flat. Guess I'll add that to the ever-growing list of reasons why Pignite should have gotten a different backstory... I mean, I seriously doubt I would have found Oshawott's food-stealing tendencies funny regardless, but at least they wouldn't come across as horribly cruel...

Oshawott. Being unfunny is bad enough already, but Oshawott's Imma-constantly-steal-food-from-my-traumatized-teammate-and-get-away-with-it-because-it's-somehow-okay-if-a-cute-character-does-it gag took it up a notch and went straight into downright mean-spirited territory which didn't sit well with me at all. I get what they were going for with this: the idea of a tiny otter having a bigger appetite than a pig (an animal frequently stereotyped as being gluttonous) does have some good comedic potential in theory, but the problem is that they did this while also giving Pignite a traumatic backstory where he nearly starved, meaning the joke inevitably fell flat. Guess I'll add that to the ever-growing list of reasons why Pignite should have gotten a different backstory... I mean, I seriously doubt I would have found Oshawott's food-stealing tendencies funny regardless, but at least they wouldn't come across as horribly cruel...
The funniest use of it is when Pignite punched it in the face hard which really shows just how awful the joke was.

A part of me is tempted to say Sobble, but the show's not over yet and I'm not entirely sure if it will remain a gag mon so for now that award goes to Oshawott for all the reasons @Ghost Diplocaulus said

But also Sandy being a completely pointless addition to the cast in SM despite being hyped up like crazy

Last edited:
But also Sandy being a completely pointless addition to the cast in SM despite being hyped up like crazy

I don't think that Sandy was a gag Pokemon though. I agree that it ultimately felt pretty pointless despite all of the buildup and hype, but I don't think it really had a running gag.

I think that Rowlet was the worst gag Pokemon. At first, the sleeping gag didn't bother me too much and it did get some good moments at the beginning of SM, but then they kind of went back and forth as to whether they wanted it to be just a gag Pokemon or a powerhouse. It spent a large chuck of SM just sleeping away. It couldn't even be bothered to fly over a hill to grab a berry low to the ground for goodness shake. Then they suddenly gave it a lot of powerful moves to make up for it being virtually useless for so long. It didn't feel like it really progressed in its strength, but that the writers suddenly released that Rowlet needed to be useful for the upcoming Alola League. It was so annoying and frustrating.

Oshawott was a close second though. It was pretty annoying and downright unlikable at times, so its gag never really worked that well.

I don't think that Sandy was a gag Pokemon though. I agree that it ultimately felt pretty pointless despite all of the buildup and hype, but I don't think it really had a running gag.
It was still meant to be cutesy comedy relief regardless of whether it had a running gag or not.
(Except the only real comedy it brought with it was how hilariously awful it's haircut looked after Lana caught it)

It was still meant to be cutesy comedy relief regardless of whether it had a running gag or not.
(Except the only real comedy it brought with it was how hilariously awful it's haircut looked after Lana caught it)

Aside from its long hair affecting its vision prior to Lana catching it, was Sandy really used for comedy relief that often? It pretty much just blended into the background. I just don't think it could be considered a gag Pokemon when it was mostly just another cute Pokemon for one of the girls to hold around all the time.

Well now that Sobble is gone we can take him out of the running

MORPEKO has definitely taken the spot for the Worst Gag mon!

This thing has NO redeeming qualities, it eats EVERYTHING, and only exists to make TR's lives more miserable.

Which makes it look even WORSE after coming off of Bewear, Mimikyu and Mareanie who genuinely adored TR despite their quirks

Screw this thing! It has surpassed Plusle and Minun as my least favorite Pikachu Clone ever. I won't miss it when it leaves for the next Gen!

Last edited:
Oshawott, not only was he annoying, but also rather weak in battle.
Dawn's Pachirisu irked me quite a lot, too.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom