• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Gen 9 Predictions (Development predictions, New Regions, Version names)

Personally, I feel like Gen 9 will be holiday 2023. But the first rumblings like a teaser trailer will probably be mid to late next year. It's probably going to be the same as like LGPE and SWSH where the new generation was released a year after the last Gen 7 title.

My guess is the only reason that BDSP releases the end of this year because they wanted a bit of space for them to gain a little bit of sales before Legends happens.

Personally, I feel like Gen 9 will be holiday 2023. But the first rumblings like a teaser trailer will probably be mid to late next year. It's probably going to be the same as like LGPE and SWSH where the new generation was released a year after the last Gen 7 title.

My guess is the only reason that BDSP releases the end of this year because they wanted a bit of space for them to gain a little bit of sales before Legends happens.
I think that holiday 2023 is the most likely release window for the Gen 9 games.

My updated predictions for now:

-Q1 2023 release
-Region is based on Italy
-Starter final evolution typings are Grass/Dark, Fire/Fairy, Water/Fighting
-Trials return instead of Gyms, but instead of battling a Totem Pokemon at the end you battle the Trial Captain
-After completing all 8 Trials, you enter a tournament to determine the Champion which takes place in a Stadium based on the Roman Colosseum
-No BW remakes, but a second Legends series game will be released in 2024 set in the Gen 9 region in the past (based on ancient Rome). Starters are Grookey, Litten, and Piplup.

Last edited:
Announcing Gen 9 next February will kill all hype for Legends Arceus just one month after it comes out. I don't see it happening unless the game is outsourced like BDSP or Game Freak made some compromises.

Just like announcing Legends killing all hype for BDSP... oh wait... it happened... but they still did it.

Problem will not be that it will kill hype for Legends because it already released and because the gap between Legends and Gen 9 will be 11 months.

Just like announcing Legends killing all hype for BDSP... oh wait... it happened... but they still did it.

Problem will not be that it will kill hype for Legends because it already released and because the gap between Legends and Gen 9 will be 11 months.
It's simply not gonna happen. If we're getting another main series game next year it's gonna be a much simpler game.

Again, BDSP and Legends are an anomaly, not the new norm. There is probably a good reason they are releasing them this way that we are not aware of (yet).

Being released does not suddenly eliminate the need for hype. Realistically, a game’s sales are going to begin decreasing the minute a new version is announced. As a company, they need to keep a game on an upward sales trajectory for long enough that it meets their sales projection which are bound to be high for a mainline Pokémon game.

The 11 month gap doesn’t mean much when the gap between the release of LA and the marketing cycle of a late 2022 Gen 9 would be much smaller.

Currently, the anime is rushing like crazy. It cannot support anything after 2022 if they keep this up.
Yet, at the same time it doesn't take place specifically in Galar and jumps around a lot. If this was the standard "Ash travels through Galar with Milo, his brother, and Gloria" then yeah, it wouldn't work. But at this rate, they can easily insert a bunch of filler until Gen 9 comes out and then just have them travel to that region.

The way the new series is set up can easily make it run indefinitely without having new games come out. I mean they'll probably, when BDSP are released, go back to Sinnoh for the tie in.

Yet, at the same time it doesn't take place specifically in Galar and jumps around a lot. If this was the standard "Ash travels through Galar with Milo, his brother, and Gloria" then yeah, it wouldn't work. But at this rate, they can easily insert a bunch of filler until Gen 9 comes out and then just have them travel to that region.

The way the new series is set up can easily make it run indefinitely without having new games come out. I mean they'll probably, when BDSP are released, go back to Sinnoh for the tie in.
That is correct. As Journeys is not tied down to any particular region, they can have the series go on until the franchise ends if they wanted to.

Again, BDSP and Legends are an anomaly, not the new norm. There is probably a good reason they are releasing them this way that we are not aware of (yet).

Being released does not suddenly eliminate the need for hype. Realistically, a game’s sales are going to begin decreasing the minute a new version is announced. As a company, they need to keep a game on an upward sales trajectory for long enough that it meets their sales projection which are bound to be high for a mainline Pokémon game.

The 11 month gap doesn’t mean much when the gap between the release of LA and the marketing cycle of a late 2022 Gen 9 would be much smaller.

Well we don't know that it's an anomaly yet, but I do think the reason why these games were announced side by side is specific to these two games. And I think that reason is because they're both two very different takes on a Sinnoh remake meant to satisfy differing demands for another Sinnoh game. BDSP is a faithful remake with minimal changes, likely meant to sell to purists that want the game to feel similar to how the originals on the DS did. LA meanwhile, seems more like a reimagining of Sinnoh, one that feels like it's built from the ground up on a modern console like the Switch (ironically with the setting taking place in the past, but the gameplay and the graphics and the world design look much closer to a 2022 console game than the originals or BDSP). I think they were announced this way to market them as two sides of the Sinnoh remake coin, if they had one or the other announced first one part of the fandom would be upset (and in the minute or so in between the two announcements, some of the fans that wanted to see newer improvements were upset but the subsequent announcement of LA quickly put an end to any potential outrage). But as is, they can market the games as two different styles of Sinnoh remake and let the player choose one or both that's right for them.

Needless to say, I don't think this will be the case with the game after LA. The next game is probably not as heavily connected as BDSP and LA are, so it'll probably have its own marketing cycle after BDSP and LA have came and went.

You said it wasn't going to be the new norm though. We don't know that for sure until the games after LA are announced.
Right but what you said was that they weren’t anomalous which…they certainly are. As for whether or not they are the new norm; I mean, of course we don’t know that for 100% certain, but typically an anomaly is indicative of something that won’t be repeated (at least not for a long time).

Right but what you said was that they weren’t anomalous which…they certainly are. As for whether or not they are the new norm; I mean, of course we don’t know that for 100% certain, but typically an anomaly is indicative of something that won’t be repeated (at least not for a long time).

We don't know whether or not it won't be repeated either without seeing the next few games, so you're contradicting yourself here. We cannot determine that something was an anomaly until we look back in retrospect and see that there were multiple games before and after it that did not follow the pattern. We know that it deviates from the established precedent, yes, but without seeing the future we can't declare that it's an anomaly.

We don't know whether or not it won't be repeated either without seeing the next few games, so you're contradicting yourself here. We cannot determine that something was an anomaly until we look back in retrospect and see that there were multiple games before and after it that did not follow the pattern. We know that it deviates from the established precedent, yes, but without seeing the future we can't declare that it's an anomaly.
No, that’s not true. By definition an anomaly is, again: “something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected”. Which is exactly what releasing two games in such quick succession already is. We don’t need any retrospect; this has already deviated from the norm.

Being an anomaly is separate from potentially “being the new norm” which I’ve already said obviously isn’t 100% certain but is extremely unlikely.

Anyway this is all just semantics. The point I was making stands which is that using this pair of releases as a new framework for what’s to come is not at all reliable.

Yep. Legends: Arceus is likely to be like the Let's Go games, a one-off. Doubtless lessons learned will be integrated into Gen IX, but it's likely to be just standalone.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom