• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

This is less of a properly established opinion and more of a rant, and I'm not sure how controversial this is-if, at all-but: Journeys’ direction in how they’re taking Pikachu’s character has got to single handedly be the worst version of Pikachu I’ve ever seen.

All of his positive qualities have been completely stripped from him, spamming the negative traits to make him look like the cute battle mon who’s endearing traits are as nonexistent as Ash’s Gengar. I used to find his childishness cute and endearing, but now I find it petty and annoying. I used to find his relationship with Ash to be the best thing of the show, now it feels so forced and contrived I feel like throwing the screen down anytime a moment between them is shown. I used to like his design, but now I dislike it. I don’t even like the way they animate Thunderbolt and the different ways they animate it throughout each series is something I’ve loved. He just feels like a cardboard cutout of an over glorified pet in the skin of the franchise’s mascot to justify poor writing.

JN030 has got to be one of the worst episodes I’ve ever seen in the entire anime and the amount of “focus” this atrocious interpretation of Pikachu has gotten makes my skin crawl. All of the Pikachu episodes before Journeys used to have a certain “charm” to them-a charm which was stolen from this series as soon as the pokemon being treated as nonexistent became a pattern.

He’s completely out of character, to the point where every episode makes me wonder if I’ll have an easier time watching Pikachu on-screen if I pretend its an impostor and not the same character...this is BW Team Rocket all over again. Every single moment with said character is either completely and utterly boring or absolutely gratingly painful to get through because of how offensive the characterization is.

He doesn’t have a single solid relationship with any of his teammates, sans Lucario...a relationship which actually, at this point, has once again fell to the endless abyss that is the forgotten of Journeys. In previous series, Pikachu was shown to be important, while in this series, I constantly wonder why the hell he’s even here. The supposed set-up battle between him and Leon’s Charizard feels like the MOST boring and uninteresting “rivalry” and future battle-so much so, that Pikachu’s “rivalry” with Mimikyu looks like it’s to the level of Ash and Paul in comparison. Pikachu's battle with Korrina's Lucario is ALREADY leagues above this battle and the outcome of that battle doesn't even make sense!

His relationship with Ash doesn’t feel organic and you’d have to force me to watch any of the Pikachu episodes in this series again because of how annoyed and utterly exhausted I am of Pikachu in Journeys. His design is weird, his “cute” moments feel annoying and not the slightest bit cute, his Thunderbolt animation feels weird, his relationship with Ash doesn’t feel as endearing as it used to either because it feels more of “human and pet” rather than “best friends” or "brothers" or "equal partners", Pikachu feels like a baby, and his role is so unfathomably bland and uninteresting that a piece of burnt toast feels far more appealing. There are only so many ways I can say how Journeys Pikachu makes my blood boil. I used to think I would hate it if Pikachu was removed from the show, but by all means, with the nonsensical direction that Journeys has already been taken since Episode 1, just DO IT. I’d cheer for joy if that meant that Pikachu would be back up to speed character-wise for Gen 9.

And before anyone asks, yes, I even find that Journeys Pikachu sucks battle-wise, as well. EVERY single battle he’s been in so far has been so dull and tedious to get through it’s a miracle I didn’t walk out of the room to take a nap on the couch during his battles. I’ve already said how I don’t like the animations for his battles...everything else just feels repetitive. And when his teammates battle, he doesn’t cheer them on anymore. This is ESPECIALLY irritating when I’m re-watching XY and so far, in EVERY gym battle...Pikachu is seen either battling or showing immense support for his teammates and helping Ash. His role is important-even when he isn’t battling. Remember Olympia’s gym battle? Ignoring the fact that Frogadier and Talonflame are best bros, Pikachu complained about wanting to battle until he got to HELP out. He didn’t mind not battling as long as he could help Ash and his teammates out and that’s what I absolutely ADORE about Pikachu.

I thought something similar would happen in the Iris episode(which ironically, is my only favorite episode from Journeys) but NOPE. He still retains his whiny and unlikable attitude that makes me wonder what happened to the electric mouse that I used to love so much. I miss his relationship with his teammates, I miss his tendency to be the “peacekeeper” and the “team captain”, I miss his leadership tendencies, I miss his wholesome and special relationship with Ash, I miss his actually interesting battles, I miss his important roles in the show, I just miss Pikachu period. Pretty much the only interesting thing I find about Journeys Pikachu is his relationship with Kangaskhan because I find that they made her a good PotD...but that’s it. The only thing I like about Pikachu in this series is ONE SINGLE THING that only showed up in one episode and was never shown again. What was the point in this backstory again? Ohhhh….right. They wanted to make it go viral. Silly me. :cautious:

Honestly, just make an episode where Pikachu disappears for some reason for the rest of the show and I’ll be content. As long as I don’t have to see him until the next gen, I’ll be more happy with each episode that comes out from Journeys. Everything about Journeys Pikachu just frustrates me SO much that at this point, I’m going to skip every episode that gives Pikachu a major role(e.g JN073).

Sorry if this comes out as more whiny and obsessive complaining, but I've been keeping this on my chest for a while now. :bulbaLove:
If there was ever a battle for the best Pikachu portrayal I bet ya Journeys Chu would get thrown around by OG and Advanced Pikachu, hit by a quick attack by D&P Pikachu, smashed by an Electro Ball thanks to B&W Pikachu and then Iron Tail'd into the nearest trash can by both XY & S&M Pikachu combined all whilst the future Pikachu sits on a seat and rubbing his hands in glee.

The writers wanted to find a way to have the classmates in there, I accept that.

You are overhyping most of the participants, I take that for Gladion or Guzma. But the rest were just for show and probably doomed in any other League.

They had the Games requirements to enter in the anime, but they messed with the Island Challenge and didn't give it the needed focus.

Kapu Kokeko's involvement was just it being the bloodthirsty and whimsical deity it is. I'd rather have the Pokemon it replaced.

Actually, I'd have preferred if he lost and gave up the title. To avoid this debate entirely.
Did i said others are also as powerful as other league trainers? I said only those 4 semi finalists and and Illima is league level trainers while Gladion is also more powerful than some league winners.

Pikachu Vs Tapu Koko battle had lots of build up, it was the start and end of SM so it hold soooo much importance for story and same as games where Tapu Koko challenge players after becoming champion, Pikachu first time in Pokemon history had his own arc and rival, also shown why he is Ash's strongest Pokemon by beating a guardian deity which prove he is truly a champion ace.

Did you hate Ash that you want him to lose the title? Ash Vs Kukui was a huge gift for every Ash Ketchum fans who watch him for very long, Ash beat an opponent who is champion level if not beyond to show that he is same level as other Champions,

Last edited:
Can you please stick with the real debate of their strength not league or story, Whether anyone like it or not Ash is factually shown he is also same level as other regional champions and this is the main reason Ash was able to beat another Champion this early in JN while in OS-SM he can't even hold a candle against E4 around episode 65.

Last edited:
Seeing Pikachu get one more focus episode added salt to the wound so I’ll mention it again: JN is the least developed of Ash's teams and the one with the least team cohesiveness with each other as team members and team member interactions are at their all time worst.
This is one of the biggest issues I have with Journeys that STILL has barely been improved upon. The closest we've gotten to this are the brief battle segments during the start of episodes but aside from that Ash's team feels really disjointed and it's strange given that all of them each have super distinct personalities. Have Dragonite and Gengar even interacted once this series?

This is one of the biggest issues I have with Journeys that STILL has barely been improved upon. The closest we've gotten to this are the brief battle segments during the start of episodes but aside from that Ash's team feels really disjointed and it's strange given that all of them each have super distinct personalities. Have Dragonite and Gengar even interacted once this series?
It's really rather upsetting that Journeys has yet to give me a single reason to be interested in this team. They've barely interacted, despite living in the same area and having unique and different personalities, and they don't even feel like they've formed a bond with Ash. I can't imagine a single one of them interacting with the other pokemon on Ash's team, sans maybe Dragonite and Lucario and MAYBE Sir'fetched. But they just show up so rarely it's a miracle that anyone remembers they're a team at all. I keep forgetting Ash has a Dracovish. Normally I forget Ash has certain pokemon when trying to remember them all at once, but I just can't remember Dracovish PERIOD. They feel much more like strangers rather than a cohesive team. It definitely says something that I can actually remember Ash's Kanto team having far more interactions than this one, back in a time period when few pokemon were given proper character arcs sans Chu and Zard.

It's really rather upsetting that Journeys has yet to give me a single reason to be interested in this team. They've barely interacted, despite living in the same area and having unique and different personalities, and they don't even feel like they've formed a bond with Ash. I can't imagine a single one of them interacting with the other pokemon on Ash's team, sans maybe Dragonite and Lucario and MAYBE Sir'fetched. But they just show up so rarely it's a miracle that anyone remembers they're a team at all. I keep forgetting Ash has a Dracovish. Normally I forget Ash has certain pokemon when trying to remember them all at once, but I just can't remember Dracovish PERIOD. They feel much more like strangers rather than a cohesive team. It definitely says something that I can actually remember Ash's Kanto team having far more interactions than this one, back in a time period when few pokemon were given proper character arcs sans Chu and Zard.
This is honestly why I kinda don't want Ash to win against Leon. I think I mentioned this before but with how shallow both Ash and his whole team has been this series, if he were to end up winning, said win would feel extra shallow and un-deserved.

I want to cheer on a team who's pushed themselves to the limits and shown their full capabilities like in the past, not a library of background fodder who only shows up for a small cameo before disappearing for what feels like the next 849 weeks.

Since some plots were just left hanging, then I wouldn't have minded having Kapu Kokeko's fixation with Pikachu not going anywhere.

But my ideal scenario for that plot closure wasn't that exhibition match, but them fighting at the Ruins of Conflict.

And no. I love Satoshi and always will.
But this conflict over the Title and how did he earned has been dragged for so long that now I'd ended up wishing that it never happened.
Besides, I wanted him to win in Kalos and the way he won in Alola didn't feel that gratifying.

Is there a real bond between Satoshi's Pokemon in this series.....
They are so disconnected from one another.

To continue on my earlier post about Dawn's Pokémon Coordinator career being handled better than May's career (who, need I remind, never lost in the Appeal Round and lost less Contests in two total regions than Dawn lost in one), I want to touch upon Jessie's Coordinator career. In Hoenn and Kanto, she was basically treated as a joke. She never won a single Contest and frequently tried to cheat. She was never a serious contender to win. Sinnoh fixed this by having her actually win Contests without having to resort to cheating (even Jessie was surprised to learn that her first victory wasn't earned through cheating), even allowing her to get to the Grand Festival. They respected her character in Sinnoh.

Since some plots were just left hanging, then I wouldn't have minded having Kapu Kokeko's fixation with Pikachu not going anywhere.

But my ideal scenario for that plot closure wasn't that exhibition match, but them fighting at the Ruins of Conflict.

And no. I love Satoshi and always will.
But this conflict over the Title and how did he earned has been dragged for so long that now I'd ended up wishing that it never happened.
Besides, I wanted him to win in Kalos and the way he won in Alola didn't feel that gratifying.

Is there a real bond between Satoshi's Pokemon in this series.....
They are so disconnected from one another.
Which plot you're talking about left hanging? Mohn search was put in JN so it wasn't forgotten, maybe you're talking about Nanu and Giovanni connection which I agree.

Ash beating guardian deity in stadium in front of whole Alola region who worship Tapus make waaaaaay more impact than some ruins where only his friends there to watch, can you imagine Ash Vs Leon happening in empty building like gyms?

Tapu Koko battle is way more important than any legendary battle Ash and specially Pikachu had, Ash Vs Kukui was the climax of SM series just like Ash Vs Paul was for DP, it end all the remaining plot except Mohn whereabout.

Whether you like it or not Ash truly master earned his champion title and beat in game Champion opponent which is far more powerful than anything Ash defeated before, Ash become champion of his home region not some foreign land.

I'm not here arguing about Kalos Vs Alola league.

Again can you stick with main topic of Ash and Kukui strength rather than dragging unnecessary arguments which isn't related

This is honestly why I kinda don't want Ash to win against Leon. I think I mentioned this before but with how shallow both Ash and his whole team has been this series, if he were to end up winning, said win would feel extra shallow and un-deserved.

I want to cheer on a team who's pushed themselves to the limits and shown their full capabilities like in the past, not a library of background fodder who only shows up for a small cameo before disappearing for what feels like the next 849 weeks.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but... a version of Journeys anime with Lucario being treated the same way as Infernape and Greninja were during their sagas (even if it did result on someone becoming a "Torterra" in turn) would be a million times better than what we're actually currently getting. I mean, yeah, those two were shilled like crazy, but they had cool battles, their stories had stakes and were genuinely emotionally engaging, and most of the rest of their teammates still got to make meaningful contributions and had fleshed-out personalities. Here? Literally nobody is doing anything. How is that even possible? I can't believe I'm watching a version of the Pokemon anime where literally everybody is being neglected except for Ash's Pikachu. And even Pikachu isn't really doing anything particularly notable.

Again can you stick with main topic of Ash and Kukui strength rather than dragging unnecessary arguments which isn't related
It's not a matter of strength.
But the way everything leading to that moment was written, I didn't like the League for the two reasons I mentioned.

The controversy over having him win this instead of Kalos/Sinnoh is just too troublesome and annoying that it's more fuel to the fire.

It's not a matter of strength.
But the way everything leading to that moment was written, I didn't like the League for the two reasons I mentioned.

The controversy over having him win this instead of Kalos/Sinnoh is just too troublesome and annoying that it's more fuel to the fire.
Except Ash Vs Paul Ash Vs Kukui+Tapu Koko had much more build up and way more emotions, also best animated battle than other battle, which other league had better ending? Ash literally beat all the opponents, win league and become champion, beat an in game Champion that's literally much better ending of league and Ash character in series, Sinnoh league could've better ending if Tobias didn't exist and Ash beat Paul in final instead quarter finals.

This battle had soooooo much meaning and shown how much Ash character has grown in SM, he not only grow more as a person but become even more powerful than before.

I'm still asking don't divert the topic, if you think both Ash and Kukui+Tapu Koko is truly Champion level than I don't think we should argue.

I don't want to argue either, it's more troubling than worth.

To continue on my earlier post about Dawn's Pokémon Coordinator career being handled better than May's career
Well, they had two Contests Arcs, Hoenn and Kanto, to experiment and polish the writing.
Hikari's Story was the result of them improving how they handled Contests.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but... a version of Journeys anime with Lucario being treated the same way as Infernape and Greninja were during their sagas (even if it did result on someone becoming a "Torterra" in turn) would be a million times better than what we're actually currently getting. I mean, yeah, those two were shilled like crazy, but they had cool battles, their stories had stakes and were genuinely emotionally engaging, and most of the rest of their teammates still got to make meaningful contributions and had fleshed-out personalities. Here? Literally nobody is doing anything. How is that even possible? I can't believe I'm watching a version of the Pokemon anime where literally everybody is being neglected except for Ash's Pikachu. And even Pikachu isn't really doing anything particularly notable.
At this point I am so done with Lucario, being rushed didn't make it any favours.....
That, now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind if they bring Gekkouga back, and shill it to the max, at all.
Of course the same applies to Jukain or Waruvial, even I would like if they turn this series into a Dodatoise redemption plot.
All of them can return and bench the current team.

Well, they had two Contests Arcs, Hoenn and Kanto, to experiment and polish the writing.
Hikari's Story was the result of them improving how they handled Contests.
Yeah. I admit that's true. They made Dawn more flawed than May to foster better character development and make her seem more human.

I'm so tired of hearing people say Ash's Alola League victory doesn't feel as satisfying as Kalos League would have felt.

I thought the trade off was supposed to be
Go: Quantity over quality
Ash: Quality over quantity
When it comes to Pokémon. They left Ash with none. Other users have beautifully illustrated the reasons as to why. And before someone tells me quality is subjective: the team cohesiveness has definitely taken a nosedive from previous series.

I'm so tired of hearing people say Ash's Alola League victory doesn't feel as satisfying as Kalos League would have felt.
I blame the writers for this one.
The Alola League could have been better.
I'd said enough about why I feel that.

And I'm tired of that conflict, he won and that's all.

I thought the trade off was supposed to be
Go: Quantity over quality
Ash: Quality over quantity
When it comes to Pokémon. They left Ash with none. Other users have beautifully illustrated the reasons as to why.
Now he is just a glorified cameo, better drop him already.

I think it would have caused an even worse debate.
Yeah Ash first time Leave region as total winner a champion instead of losing for whatever reason.

Him winning the league than immediately lost everything in one day would've make worst impact on pokemon community who was waiting for this for very long time, while also considering how much the rivalry has build up for Incineroar and Tapu Koko, all would've been wasted if it didn't get a conclusion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom