• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

It's really rather upsetting that Journeys has yet to give me a single reason to be interested in this team. They've barely interacted, despite living in the same area and having unique and different personalities, and they don't even feel like they've formed a bond with Ash. I can't imagine a single one of them interacting with the other pokemon on Ash's team, sans maybe Dragonite and Lucario and MAYBE Sir'fetched. But they just show up so rarely it's a miracle that anyone remembers they're a team at all. I keep forgetting Ash has a Dracovish. Normally I forget Ash has certain pokemon when trying to remember them all at once, but I just can't remember Dracovish PERIOD. They feel much more like strangers rather than a cohesive team. It definitely says something that I can actually remember Ash's Kanto team having far more interactions than this one, back in a time period when few pokemon were given proper character arcs sans Chu and Zard.
There's this bizarre thing where Ash's JN team doesn't feels like an actual team and rather like these bunch of dudes that just happen to have the same trainer.

I don't feel this sense of ''family'' and friendship I've felt in any of the other series. Hell, I never in a billion years thought I would actually say this, but by watching this sad excuse of a ''team'', I actually miss Oshawott stealing food from Pignite. Even that was better.

but by watching this sad escuse of a ''team''
It ESPECIALLY sucks coming right after the team with arguably the closest interactions in the entire series. Rowlet had a cute relationship with Melmetal, Naganadel had a cute relationship with Pikachu, Inceneroar and Lycanroc had their fun little rivalry/friendship...I have at LEAST ten different images of this time cuddling and interacting together ALONE. They all trained together to help Rockruff, they supported Litten when Stoutland passed away, Rowlet tried to protect Pikachu, Pikachu repeatedly rallied them all together, they all followed Ash around at the school when he was feeling down after Rotom left...they've battled together, eaten together, played together, and even had an episode where they showed off how dorkish all of them were together.

Going from all of THIS:
tumblr_pt7kqamvk21vc2llto1_1280.png
tumblr_695a11b64a9fa66fb59e20cbd9fe4262_9c29a382_540.gif
tumblr_p7sqpbfvwk1vvuksdo1_540.jpg
tumblr_otuff4imgK1wrvamoo1_1280.jpeg

To just THIS:
1200px-Ash_and_Goh.png

-has got to be the most saddest thing I've ever seen. All the pokemon in the image above have BARELY interacted!

Attachments

• tumblr_p46r79EcBD1tpvtc4o1_r1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p46r79EcBD1tpvtc4o1_r1_1280.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 45
Now he is just a glorified cameo, better drop him already.

Calling Ash a glorified cameo is beyond ridiculous. This is one reason why I can't really take these complaints on the screentime seriously. He is not treated nearly as much of an afterthought within the series as fans make it out to be.

SM is great when it comes to Pokemon interaction, though I'd also like to add to all of this, XY. I mean I remember when new members of the team were added, sometimes we'd get moments where Ash, Serena, and Clemont let out all their Pokemon to meet the new team member and we'd see them interact. I mean we had stuff such as Chespin and Pancham, along with Hawlucha and Noivern. Now the Pokemon barely interact. DP even did this at times, like I remember when Buizel was caught, he was introduced to the team and immediately began butting heads with some of the other Pokemon. Scraggy in BW even had this happen.

It ESPECIALLY sucks coming right after the team with arguably the closest interactions in the entire series. Rowlet had a cute relationship with Melmetal, Naganadel had a cute relationship with Pikachu, Inceneroar and Lycanroc had their fun little rivalry/friendship...I have at LEAST ten different images of this time cuddling and interacting together ALONE. They all trained together to help Rockruff, they supported Litten when Stoutland passed away, Rowlet tried to protect Pikachu, Pikachu repeatedly rallied them all together, they all followed Ash around at the school when he was feeling down after Rotom left...they've battled together, eaten together, played together, and even had an episode where they showed off how dorkish all of them were together.

Going from all of THIS:

To just THIS:
View attachment 146587

-has got to be the most saddest thing I've ever seen. All the pokemon in the image above have BARELY interacted!
Yeah SM literally best when it comes to show Pokemon personality even after they fully evolved and interaction, all of Ash's Alolan team had special bond with another member, they stay outside pokeballs almost all the time to either play or training together.

JN had almost same thing as Ash Pokemons spending their time outside pokeballs in ceries park but they still rarely appeared and doesn't have any good interaction, it's like they're all reserved Pokemons like Snorlax who only show up when Ash need them.

I have no doubt that JN team is going to surpass all past teams in terms of strength but they're lacking in everything else.

Do his JN pokemon even have a dynamic together??
They literally don't. I've never seen any interesting interactions between any of them. The opening originally made it seem like Riolu and G-Farfetch'd would be sparring partners and could have had a rivalry, but that never happened. They don't even interact. None of Ash's Journeys Pokemon interact with each other and its disappointing. Between Ash and Goh, we used to have Lucario and Cinderace but both have been shoved out of focus.

The only Pokemon dynamics that remained consistent for more than 1 episode are:

-The Brotherly Dynamic between Drizzile (Sobble)/Cinderace

-The pseudo Rivalry/Bromance between Cinderace and Lucario

-And the Troublemaking Duo that is Grookey and Eevee

The first two relationships faded into the background while the last one is stunted because of Eevee's lack of appearances

I don't miss Mr. Mime myself. I keep forgetting that it even exists. It does make me wonder what was the point of retconning it into one Ash's Pokemon even more though.
Probably just to give Ash all types of Pokemons since he doesn't have fairy and psychic type yet.

Otherwise Mr. Mime existence in JN is pointless outside that battle frontier episode, I totally forget he is in Sakuragi institute.

Probably just to give Ash all types of Pokemons since he doesn't have fairy and psychic type yet.

Otherwise Mr. Mime existence in JN is pointless outside that battle frontier episode, I totally forget he is in Sakuragi institute.
Mr. Mime was listed amongst Ash's Pokémon on an official website years before Journeys.

Why wasn't the Battle Frontier located in the Sevii Islands in the anime? Would've been a great way to promote the Kanto remakes and been more interesting than traveling through Kanto again.

I'd have liked to see the Sevii Islands too, but it would have been hard for the animation team to constantly use new backgrounds constantly opposed to just using the classic forest and city backgrounds. Also, due to the fast pace of the arc most of the cool locations like Tanoby Ruins would have to have been skipped. Maybe the best solution would have been it taking place on an anime-exclusive region people would have had zero expectations for.

Did i said others are also as powerful as other league trainers? I said only those 4 semi finalists and and Illima is league level trainers while Gladion is also more powerful than some league winners.

Pikachu Vs Tapu Koko battle had lots of build up, it was the start and end of SM so it hold soooo much importance for story and same as games where Tapu Koko challenge players after becoming champion, Pikachu first time in Pokemon history had his own arc and rival, also shown why he is Ash's strongest Pokemon by beating a guardian deity which prove he is truly a champion ace.

Did you hate Ash that you want him to lose the title? Ash Vs Kukui was a huge gift for every Ash Ketchum fans who watch him for very long, Ash beat an opponent who is champion level if not beyond to show that he is same level as other Champions,

As I've said before the problem with Kukui is that his status as "great trainer" is only hinted at. As Royal Mask he didn't have any noteworthy challenges, and as Kukui his only strong opponents were a Kommo-o (which we never saw being defeated) and Mega Aggron (which was Team Rocket's, which we now know are pathethic). So it felt a bit presumptuous when he made himself the prize for winning the league.

I'd have liked to see the Sevii Islands too, but it would have been hard for the animation team to constantly use new backgrounds constantly opposed to just using the classic forest and city backgrounds. Also, due to the fast pace of the arc most of the cool locations like Tanoby Ruins would have to have been skipped. Maybe the best solution would have been it taking place on an anime-exclusive region people would have had zero expectations for.
Then it couldn't have promoted the Kanto remakes at all. And I'm sure they could've used generic backgrounds in the islands too.
and Mega Aggron (which was Team Rocket's, which we now know are pathethic).
That Aggron was owned and used by an elite Team Rocket member.
So it felt a bit presumptuous when he made himself the prize for winning the league.
I respectfully disagree.

As I've said before the problem with Kukui is that his status as "great trainer" is only hinted at. As Royal Mask he didn't have any noteworthy challenges, and as Kukui his only strong opponents were a Kommo-o (which we never saw being defeated) and Mega Aggron (which was Team Rocket's, which we now know are pathethic). So it felt a bit presumptuous when he made himself the prize for winning the league.
You know... from the way you describe it kinda sounds like they were like "people know he's strong in the games, we don't have to show much", which is... problematic to say the least.

Bear in mind that I'm basing all this on your comment.

Back
Top Bottom