• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

You know... from the way you describe it kinda sounds like they were like "people know he's strong in the games, we don't have to show much", which is... problematic to say the least.

Bear in mind that I'm basing all this on your comment.
Right in its first appearance, it was shown defeating three Pokémon with one blow after taking their attacks as if they were nothing. I think Kukui's strength was well established from the moment we first saw him battle.

Probably just to give Ash all types of Pokemons since he doesn't have fairy and psychic type yet.

Otherwise Mr. Mime existence in JN is pointless outside that battle frontier episode, I totally forget he is in Sakuragi institute.

That would be a really weak reason if that was the case. It's not like Ash is showcasing every Pokemo type in Journeys, so why bother making sure he had a Fairy and Psychic type? It would have made more sense for him to capture different Pokemon to get a Fairy and Psychic type instead of effectively rewritting Mr. Mime's personality. It felt more like they didn't want to give Ash a new Pokemon before Dragonite or have him use reserve for that one small tournament, so just tossed in Mr. Mime to avoid actually giving him a new Pokemon.

That would be a really weak reason if that was the case. It's not like Ash is showcasing every Pokemo type in Journeys, so why bother making sure he had a Fairy and Psychic type? It would have made more sense for him to capture different Pokemon to get a Fairy and Psychic type instead of effectively rewritting Mr. Mime's personality. It felt more like they didn't want to give Ash a new Pokemon before Dragonite or have him use reserve for that one small tournament, so just tossed in Mr. Mime to avoid actually giving him a new Pokemon.
This, plus I don't think the anime's ever been interested in giving Ash Pokemon to represent certain types. He didn't even get a Dark-Type until Unova, a role that could've been fulfilled earlier by giving him a Sneasal back in Johto.

I don't mind Mimey myself either, but it's so weird that they retconned it as one of Ash's Pokémon by a site in the Unova era (which didn't went mentioned in the Unova anime or in Kalos or Alola), then they go and are like "See guys, Mr. Mime does belongs to Ash!!!" and then they never did anything with it besides that one little battle at the beginning of JN and then never again.

Like, what was even the point of doing that? It went nowhere. All that it served for was to make yet another debate in the community, something that is also pointless because Mr. Mime is not even used by Ash.

I still find the notion that Mr. Mime has always been Ash's Pokemon complete nonsense. Even if it wasn't a retcon for Journeys specifically, they never made one of Ash's capture clear within the anime itself for over twenty years. And the fact that Ash never attempted to use it himself until Journeys is still just ridiculously stupid. I could maybe let it slide if it was just unclear for the Indigo League, but Ash never considered using Mr. Mime for any other League or event. He was never that excited to see it compare to his actual reserves, it never seemed particularly close to Ash and has been associated with Delia ever since it debut.

Regardless of when the retcon happened, it makes no sense and on top of that, it seems utterly pointless given how little presence Mr. Mime has in Journeys. If they were really set on Ash getting a Mr. Mime, they could have just had him capture a different one instead of changing Mr. Mime. His personality was so different that there wouldn't have been any difference if it was just a brand new Mr. Mime instead.

If they were really set on Ash getting a Mr. Mime, they could have just had him capture a different one instead of changing Mr. Mime. His personality was so different that there wouldn't have been any difference if it was just a brand new Mr. Mime instead.
They could've easily given him a Galarian Mr. Mime. You know, the galarian version of it? They had the opportunity right in their hands but let it slip.

They could've easily given him a Galarian Mr. Mime. You know, the galarian version of it? They had the opportunity right in their hands but let it slip.

To be fair, I can't really blame them for skipping out of Galarian Mr. Mime with that opportunity. As much as I want Galar characters and Pokemon to get more attention in Journeys, I don't think that Galarian Mr. Mime would have been a good fit for Ash. Plus, they probably wanted to go with the Kanto Mr. Mime when its new personality is more about mimicking than it was before.

Mimey joining the supporting cast is clearly because of Mr. Mime's role in Detective Pikachu.

The pantomiming everything (which he's never done before) and the faces he made in ep 7 are blatant references to it.

I still find the notion that Mr. Mime has always been Ash's Pokemon complete nonsense. Even if it wasn't a retcon for Journeys specifically, they never made one of Ash's capture clear within the anime itself for over twenty years. And the fact that Ash never attempted to use it himself until Journeys is still just ridiculously stupid. I could maybe let it slide if it was just unclear for the Indigo League, but Ash never considered using Mr. Mime for any other League or event. He was never that excited to see it compare to his actual reserves, it never seemed particularly close to Ash and has been associated with Delia ever since it debut.

Regardless of when the retcon happened, it makes no sense and on top of that, it seems utterly pointless given how little presence Mr. Mime has in Journeys. If they were really set on Ash getting a Mr. Mime, they could have just had him capture a different one instead of changing Mr. Mime. His personality was so different that there wouldn't have been any difference if it was just a brand new Mr. Mime instead.

But then you have to ask, "who caught Mimey?" Y'know, assuming it was caught to begin with.

Delia's not a Trainer as far as we know, so there's no reason for her to have any Poke Balls on hand. So Ash had to do it.

I think it's kind of a Bonnie and Dedenne situation.

Last edited:
tbh, I think James would be a better fit for Galarian Mr. Mime, since he does have a Mime Jr. in his reserves, so I think it would have been neat for him to withdraw it back to his team and then have it evolve while the group is in Galar.

I would have loved for James to be reunited with Mime Jr. They had such a strong connection and seeing it evolve into the Galarian Mr. Mime in Galar would have been such a neat twist. I'm not surprised that didn't happen given that they don't tend to acknowledge that their older Pokemon exist outside of flashbacks or little Easter eggs. Plus, I'm not sure if Galarian Mr. Mime and Mr. Rime are particularly popular among the Galarian Pokemon.

Mimey joining the supporting cast is clearly because of Mr. Mime's role in Detective Pikachu.

The pantomiming everything (which he's never done before) and the faces he made in ep 7 are blatant references to it.

That's another reason why I don't think that they could have given Ash a Galarian Mr. Mime. They really wanted to make it more like the Detective Pikachu Mr. Mime, but that just makes it weirder to me that they didn't make it a brand new character or that it has done virtually nothing for the vast majority of Journeys thus far.

Eitarou said:
But then you have to ask, "who caught Mimey?" Y'know, assuming it was caught to begin with.

Delia's not a Trainer as far as we know, so there's no reason for her to have any Poke Balls on hand. So Ash had to do it.

I think it's kind of a Bonnie and Dedenne situation.

Not really. There was never any indication that Mr. Mime had been caught beforehand and I don't think people would need to wonder if it was caught. Wild Pokemon choosing to live with people without being caught isn't really uncommon within the anime. There's also no reason why Delia couldn't catch it herself. She isn't a trainer, but she could have easily gotten a Pokeball from Ash or Professor Oak instead. At least Bonnie was too young to officially become a trainer herself and needed Clemont to capture Dedenne for her. I don't think that the same issue would apply for Delia when she is an adult and could capture Pokemon if she wanted to when she is well over ten years old.

Even if it was the case that Ash needed to capture Mr. Mime for his mother, the fact that they never made this clear in over twenty years still makes this a terrible and nonsensical recton.

I've said before the problem with Kukui is that his status as "great trainer" is only hinted at. As Royal Mask he didn't have any noteworthy challenges, and as Kukui his only strong opponents were a Kommo-o (which we never saw being defeated) and Mega Aggron (which was Team Rocket's, which we now know are pathethic). So it felt a bit presumptuous when he made himself the prize for winning the league.
That mega Aggron is from an Elite trainer not some grunts, like how Lysandre is way more powerful than his grunts who can't beat same TR trio, Kukui shown more powerful than any trainer Ash defeated in his life even without Tapu Koko, he clearly shown his strength is same as in games, Kukui is just like Ash who want to battle strong opponents, it's not like he demand champion title if he win, his dream was to make a Pokemon league in Alola which is fulfilled.

On top of that Tapu Koko is exactly same as his game counterpart, he was beyond champion challenge in both games and anime, so it's more than enough to prove Ash had defeated a champion level trainer and he is more powerful than some other champions, he seriously beat a guardian deity along with one of the most powerful z move in Pokemon universe.

Last edited:

Who said only trainers who battle can catch Pokémon? She could buy/borrow a Pokeball from Oak and no one could stop her. It’s not as if she’s underage like Bonnie or Max.

Wait! Wasn't it said in Mimey's introduction episode that Ash caught him then gave him to Delia? Or am I remembering wrong? :unsure:

Wait! Wasn't it said in Mimey's introduction episode that Ash caught him then gave him to Delia? Or am I remembering wrong? :unsure:

They never said that Mr. Mime was caught at all during its debut episode, let alone that Ash caught it and gave it to his mother. Mr. Mime bonded with Delia after she fed it, thinking that it was Ash in a Mr. Mime costume and it decided to stay with her at the end of the episode. There was nothing to imply or confirm that anyone had caught it.

They never said that Mr. Mime was caught at all during its debut episode, let alone that Ash caught it and gave it to his mother. Mr. Mime bonded with Delia after she fed it, thinking that it was Ash in a Mr. Mime costume and it decided to stay with her at the end of the episode. There was nothing to imply or confirm that anyone had caught it.
Even though I have no problem with Ash owning Mr. Mime, I must say that Mimey's attitude towards Ash in season 1 definitely didn't hint towards him being its Trainer. In one episode, Delia even says Mimey only listens to her.

Even though I have no problem with Ash owning Mr. Mime, I must say that Mimey's attitude towards Ash in season 1 definitely didn't hint towards him being its Trainer. In one episode, Delia even says Mimey only listens to her.

Nothing about Mr. Mime hints at Ash being its trainer. They've barely interacted for over twenty years and the audience is supposed to believe that Ash caught it for his mother, despite how she could have caught it herself or just have Mr. Mime choose to live with Delia without being caught. It's kind of amazing how the only thing that stands out to me about Mr. Mime at this point is how incredibly stupid and pointless this retcon is.

Nothing about Mr. Mime hints at Ash being its trainer. They've barely interacted for over twenty years and the audience is supposed to believe that Ash caught it for his mother, despite how she could have caught it herself or just have Mr. Mime choose to live with Delia without being caught. It's kind of amazing how the only thing that stands out to me about Mr. Mime at this point is how incredibly stupid and pointless this retcon is.
Idk, I agree that this came out of the blue, but at least Satoshi got a new Pokemon (sorta-kinda)? By itself I don't think it's that negative. My main problem with Barrierd now is its personality retcon (as in how it's currently portrayed in the same fashion as Detective Pikachu's Barrierd), although it's been weeks since I've watched a single PM 2019 episode, so I have no idea if they're still doing it.

Idk, I agree that this came out of the blue, but at least Satoshi got a new Pokemon (sorta-kinda)? By itself I don't think it's that negative. My main problem with Barrierd now is its personality retcon (as in how it's currently portrayed in the same fashion as Detective Pikachu's Barrierd), although it's been weeks since I've watched a single PM 2019 episode, so I have no idea if they're still doing it.

I don't think Ash kind of getting a new Pokemon out of this retcon is really that good. Outside of the Hoenn episode early on in the series and the Pikachu running away back to Pallet Town, has Mr. Mime done anything in Journeys? The retcon would still be bad regardless, but if Mr. Mime had actual presence beyond its gag or did anything noteworthy, maybe it would be easier for me to see the positive aspects of the decision. As it is, the retcon just seems so bad, poorly handled and all around pointless. It's been ages since Mr. Mime has appeared, but as far as I'm aware, it does still has its retcon personality. I'm not a big fan of that myself, but the notion that Ash had caught it way back in the original series and never attempted to use it until this series still annoys me so much whenever I remember that retcon.

Alright, time to say my unpopular opinion over new episode preview 74,75

1. I'm more hyped about Darkrai and Cresselia over Dawn's return.
2. I'd rather to see Team Galactic (or at least remaining peoples who works for it) than TR Matori.
3. We need a good Darkrai (outside of Movie 10) since it always appeared as evil in anime or was just... there (That XY filler, If you know what I'm talking about)
4. If Dawn evolved one of her Pokemons, it should be Buneary rather than her Quilava.

These are my opinions/expectations, feel free to disagree with me.

Back
Top Bottom