• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Unovia's White 2 "Gym Leader Ace Pokemon" Challenge

Unovia

Author of Pokemon of the Week (Travelin' Dan)
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Welcome To Unovia's next Challenge! What will we be doing this time? Before I get into that, let me state my previous work:
Pokemon Of The Week
Pokemon Y "Beauty" Run (Complete):
Pokemon Ultra Moon "Regional Variant" Run (Complete):
Pokemon Yellow Modified Professor Oak Challenge (Complete):
Pokemon Heartgold "Gift, Event, & Trade" Challenge (Complete):

So, with my previous work listed, what are we doing for my 5th Challenge? As I said in the last log of the Heartgold Gift, Event, & Trade Challenge, we are playing in Unova. In this challenge, we will be taking on Unova with a team that consists of the "Ace Pokemon" of Each Gym Leader.
Unova.png

The Rules For This Challenge Are As Follows:
  1. I can only use the Ace Pokemon of Each Gym Leader excluding the Starter in my team.
  2. The Ace Pokemon must be nicknamed for each Gym Leader.
  3. This Run Will Be Done In “Normal Mode”.

What Pokemon Will I Be Able To Use?
Starter (Snivy, Tepig, Oshawott, & respective lines)
Elemental Monkeys
Stoutland
Watchog
Scolipede
Leavanny
Zebstrika
Excadrill
Swanna
Beartic
Haxorus
Jellicent

Will I be able to beat the Unova Region using these rules and these Pokemon? Only time will tell! Please tune into this Challenge as you have the other ones.

Log #1-Getting Our Starter At Aspertia City
Current Season: Autumn
Here we go! The game begins, and I named myself Nate and my rival Hugh. Before we continue, I am going to take a moment to post the information for the "Season" Mechanic, a system that is unique to the Unova games.

My mom gave me the information that Professor Juniper's assistant Bianca was looking for me. Bianca was one of the Rivals of Pokemon Black & White. Now, she is Juniper's assistant. It is nice to see her advance in life. Hugh and I traveled together to the Aspertia City Lookout, where Bianca is waiting. She opened up the container for the Pokemon, and I had a decision to make. Which Starter did I want? Let's explore our options.

600px-495Snivy.png
Snivy is a Serpent-like Pokemon, and I don't typically like Serpent Pokemon. In addition, Snivy is more like "Hard Mode" of the three starters. If I picked Snivy, I would name it Trip, after Ash's main Rival in the Unova Region, who also had a Snivy (and later Serperior).
600px-498Tepig.png
Tepig is the starter that I typically use in the Unova games. Seriously, all of the Unova games that I have played so far have had Tepig as my starter. As it is, typically Tepig is the best starter for Unova. I would name it Seamus, after Ash's Tepig's original owner who abandoned it.
600px-501Oshawott.png
Oshawott is, in my opinion, the second best Starter in Unova. I would name it Cameron, after Ash's Rival in Unova who had a Samurott.

After I selected Tepig and named it Seamus, I battled Hugh, who had an Oshawott he raised from an egg. How did he get an Oshawott from an egg? Anyway I beat him, and my Tepig got to Level 6 (almost Level 7), and then Bianca met up with me again, showing me how to catch a Pokemon. She also gave me 10 Pokeballs, which is a big deal, considering you normally only get 5. After that, I spent one catching a female Patrat named Lenora. I also trained it up to Level 6 and Seamus to Level 7.

I then ran into Alder, who jumped off of a cliff, introducing himself, then encouraging me to join him in Floccesy Town. In the next Log, we will go through Floccesy Town. See you soon!

Last edited:
Log #2-Alder, Floccesy Town, & Floccesy Ranch
I got my team trained up to Level 9, then went forward with Alder, who wanted to teach me. Then he saw the second Town Map meant for Hugh, and told me to go to Floccesy Ranch to find him, battling my first trainer battles along the way. In my first few steps in the Ranch, I found a male Lillipup that I named Cheren. I then left the Ranch for a few minutes, training up Lillipup to Level 9. Then I went to meet Hugh, who took the Town Map.

507Herdier_BW_anime.png

Hugh heard that the ranchers had lost their second Herdier and went absolutely insane. He kept talking about the importance to "Keep it safe or you may lose it forever!" What had happened to him? I defeated a few trainers as I searched, getting the team to Level 10. Eventually I found it, along with a black clothed man who asked me if I had heard of a group called Team Plasma. Apparently, they were a major thing 2 Years Ago. The man left frustrated when I told him no, releasing the Herdier without a fight. The ranchers collected the Herdier, and with my side quest complete, I left the Ranch.

In the next Log, I will meet Alder again, and see what he wants me to do. See you soon!

Log #3-Alder The Teacher
Upon leaving the Ranch, I went back to Floccesy Town, where Alder was waiting for me. He brought me in to his house, where two school kids were waiting for me. This is a back to back fight, meaning you have to be careful. The first trainer I fought was against Pansage. Seamus was sent out and easily ended that fight. I sent out Cheren to take on the other trainer, who had a Panpour. After I beat the trainers, Alder seemed to be impressed. He then encouraged me to go battle the Aspertia Gym.

After this conversation, I met Mr. Medal, who got me into the Medal Rally. He gave me my first few Medals. The dude looks like Elton John. Anyway, as I walked back onto Route 20, Alder was once again on his cliff. He jumped down and gave me some Oran Berries. At the same point, I caught a male Sewaddle that I named Burgh. I then trained it up to Level 10, same as the rest of my team. I am going to spend some time training up my team to Level 13. It is important in this game that your team at least matches the level of the Gym Leader before going in. Otherwise you can have a tough time.

In the next Log, I will be going back to Aspertia City so I can battle Cheren. Expect a full analysis for the Puzzle, Trainers, and Gym Leader like you have seen in my previous runs. See you soon!

Log #4-Cheren (Gym #1)
I spent some time finishing up my training to Level 13, then I ran back to Aspertia City and the Gym, which is in the Aspertia School. I healed up first, then walked through the school. Apparently, one of the teachers asked Alder to teach there, but he apparently refused, claiming "its a young persons' era now". One of the students who was hanging outside the Gym recommended that Riolu was the best choice for the Pokemon in the Gym. If I was playing a normal run, I would have probably have caught a Riolu for this Gym, but I can't.

My Team Thus Far:
Seamus (Tepig)-Level 13
Cheren (Lillipup)-Level 13
Burgh (Sewaddle)-Level 13
Lenora (Patrat)-Level 13

Shrugging it off, I walked into the Gym, and Clyde the Gym Guide met with me, giving me a Fresh Water, which recovers 50 HP. Sometimes those can come in handy in a pinch. Cheren also met with me, challenging me to battle his students before going after him. Let's look at the stats of the Gym.

Puzzle: There isn't any, standard for the first Gym of a Region.

Gym Trainers: The Trainers aren't that difficult, but they do prepare you for the battle with Cheren. I used them to train up my team some more.

227px-Black_2_White_2_Cheren.png
Gym Leader:
Cheren opened with Patrat (Level 11) and I opened with Seamus (Level 13). Patrat started with Work Up (somehow it was faster) and I hit back with Ember. Patrat used a Work Up boosted Tackle, but it didn't phase Seamus, who struck back with Ember, taking out Patrat.

Cheren changed to Lillipup (Level 13). Because I wasn't sure if Lillipup would have an Oran Berry (it would make sense if it did), I wasn't sure who to switch to, either Cheren (Level 13) or Burgh (Level 13). As fun as it would have been to have a Lillipup vs. Lillipup fight, I decided that Burgh would be the best one to use, especially since it had Bug Bite, which would be able to steal an Oran Berry if Cheren's Lillipup had one.

Cheren's Lillipup attacked Burgh with Tackle, and I used Bug Bite, which discovered that his Lillipup did not have a Oran Berry and did a lot of damage. One more exchange of Bug Bite vs. Tackle, and Lillipup went down, winning me the battle and the Basic Badge. 1st Badge Down!

Cheren congratulated me winning, then talked to me about how things were for him 2 Years Ago, when he was a beginning trainer. In the next Log, we will leave the Gym and progress forward. See you soon!

Log #5-The Dark Grass of Route 20
Upon leaving the Aspertia Gym, Cheren and Bianca meet up with me, giving me their Xtransceiver numbers (along with Professor Juniper). After a short conversation, Hugh arrives at the Gym, ready to battle Cheren. Interestingly, Hugh calls Cheren weak. Cheren is the Gym Leader, not you Hugh! I leave Aspertia City for the wilderness, when Bianca meets up with me, giving me the C-Gear & the Habitat List for my Pokedex (not that I will be using it, but still, a nice gift).

Continuing on, I run into a hiker. This hiker had blocked my path before I beat Cheren, saying I could not go on. I easily beat him, and he moved aside. Walking down the stairs, I take on the preschooler that is waiting for me, noticing the Dark Grass. Hugh and Cheren, apparently finished their Gym Battle and joined me near the Dark Grass. Cheren explained the mechanic of the Dark Grass. Occasionally, the Dark Grass will spawn Double Battles.

The Pokemon I went looking for in the grass was Venipede, the Ace Pokemon of Roxie. Yes, I know in the anime, her Ace Pokemon was Garbodor, but the game set her Ace as Whirlipede. On top of that, Trubbish & Garbodor are unavailable in White 2. Eventually, I found a female Venipede and named it Roxie, proceeding to train it up along with the rest of my team. Once I got Roxie up to Level 13, I took on the rest of the school kids and teacher on the route.

Considering there is nowhere to go other than the next gate, I have decided to train my team in the Dark Grass here. Most of the Pokemon in that grass (even the Double Battle ones) are between Levels 9 and 12, so they are still competitive with my team, which is Level 14-15. I will be spending some time in the Dark Grass until my Level is 18. Then I will take the gate to Virbank City, the city of the next Gym.

In the next Log, we will move forward to Virbank City. See you soon!

Log #6-Virbank City & Complex
I decided at Level 16 to go onto Virbank City. I see Roxie and her father (named Pop Roxie) arguing. Her father wants to audition to be a PokeStar Studios actor, while Roxie suggests he go back to him ship who provides travel from Virbank City to Castelia City. Frustrated, she storms off to her Gym. I traveled south to the Virbank Complex. There, the foreman of a group of Workers asks me to liven the spirits of his workers up by finding and battling them. In addition, there are a few trainers spread throughout the Complex. During the training, I got Seamus (Tepig) to Pignite & Cheren (Lillipup) to Herdier.

Once I excited the workers and got them working again, gaining Rock Smash in thanks, I ended up following this scientist around the Complex who talked to me about how the Complex works. Then, I walked around the Complex, training up. As I walked, I saw the first Rustling Grass. What is the significance of Rustling Grass? Audino!

504px-531Audino_BW_anime.png

Audino are the Pokemon that are a jackpot of Exp! One Audino can give between 500 and 800 Exp, allowing you to train up quickly. I used a few Audino to get my team to Level 18, then, as I thought about the Gym Battle ahead, I came to the thought about the Roxie battle. Her Whilipede is Level 18. Considering Venipede evolves to Whirlipede at Level 22, I decided to evolve some of my team before I went to battle Roxie.

At the end of my training, my team should be:
PokemonLevel
Pignite (Seamus)22
Herdier (Cheren)22
Swadloon (Burgh)22
Whirlipede (Roxie)22
Watchog (Lenora)22

In the next Log, we will be taking on Roxie, though, even with Audino hunting, it will take a day or so to get set. We will see you soon!

I decided at Level 16 to go onto Virbank City. I see Roxie and her father (named Pop Roxie) arguing. Her father wants to audition to be a PokeStar Studios actor, while Roxie suggests he go back to him ship who provides travel from Virbank City to Castelia City. Frustrated, she storms off to her Gym. I traveled south to the Virbank Complex. There, the foreman of a group of Workers asks me to liven the spirits of his workers up by finding and battling them. In addition, there are a few trainers spread throughout the Complex. During the training, I got Seamus (Tepig) to Pignite & Cheren (Lillipup) to Herdier.

Once I excited the workers and got them working again, gaining Rock Smash in thanks, I ended up following this scientist around the Complex who talked to me about how the Complex works. Then, I walked around the Complex, training up. As I walked, I saw the first Rustling Grass. What is the significance of Rustling Grass? Audino!

View attachment 147145

Audino are the Pokemon that are a jackpot of Exp! One Audino can give between 500 and 800 Exp, allowing you to train up quickly. I used a few Audino to get my team to Level 18, then, as I thought about the Gym Battle ahead, I came to the thought about the Roxie battle. Her Whilipede is Level 18. Considering Venipede evolves to Whirlipede at Level 22, I decided to evolve some of my team before I went to battle Roxie.

At the end of my training, my team should be:
PokemonLevel
Pignite (Seamus)22
Herdier (Cheren)22
Swadloon (Burgh)22
Whirlipede (Roxie)22
Watchog (Lenora)22

In the next Log, we will be taking on Roxie, though, even with Audino hunting, it will take a day or so to get set. We will see you soon!
How long do you plan on keeping the starter around for?

Log #7-Roxie (Gym #2)
I finished my training, getting my team set and ready to go for the battle. In the process, I got a surprise. Burgh (Swadloon) evolved into Leavanny! I was surprised, considering I thought I would need to wait until I got the Soothe Bell (t is available in Nimbasa City) for it to evolve. I guess I had enough friendship with it to evolve. Definitely shows the benefits of keeping a Pokemon that evolves via Friendship in your party for a long time.

My Team Thus Far:
Seamus (Pignite)-Level 22
Cheren (Herdier)-Level 22
Lenora (Watchog)-Level 22
Roxie (Whirlipede)-Level 22
Burgh (Leavanny)-Level 22

My training in the Complex done (gotta love Audino!), I moved through the city to the Virbank Gym. It is much cooler going to the Virbank Gym at night with all of the neon lighting up the outside. The Gym doubles as a Rock & Roll Club. Climbing down the stairs, I said hello to Clyde, who gave me another Fresh Water. Opening the doors to the club, Roxie and her band (Koffing & The Toxics) were playing. It was loud, but the whole club scene is a cool concept for a Pokemon game.

Koffing & The Toxics.jpg
Puzzle: The Puzzle was simple. Basically, I had to beat the trainers to get Roxie's attention. That was very cool.

Gym Trainers: It was cool that you had to battle her band mates, and they are a nice preparation for battling Roxie. I found it funny that even though you beat the band, Roxie keeps jamming away. She really is in her own little world. I had to be careful for Poison Gas, which Koffing tends to have, especially since I didn't buy some Antidotes. If your team is worried about Poison, buying Antidotes is still a good idea.
527px-Black_2_White_2_Roxie.png
Gym Leader:
Roxie leads with her Koffing (Level 16) and I led with Cheren (Level 22). Koffing kept using Assurance. Luckily it did not set up with Toxic damage or Venoshock. I was a bit surprised. Cheren just kept using Bite, and eventually Koffing went down (though Roxie did use a Super Potion, which allowed it to heal up completely).

After Koffing, I knew I wanted to switch out, but I was not sure who I wanted to change to for Whirlipede (Level 18). I decided to switch to Lenora (Level 22), since I had Confuse Ray and Hypnosis on it. Deciding to start stacking my statuses, I used Hypnosis first, then Confuse Ray, just in case if Whirlipede woke up, the Confused status could inflict some damage.

After I set up the statuses, I used Super Fang, which dropped Whirlipede by half. I then finished the battle with Crunch, making Whirlipede faint, and it didn't wake up the whole time. The battle was a lot easier than I expected, though I was 4-6 Levels higher, and if I had battled her at Level 18, I would have probably have had a much harder time.

2 Badges Down!

After beating Roxie, a promoter for PokeStar Studios came up to me, inviting me to go there. With her performance done, Roxie went to go talk to her dad. in the next Log, we will go check out PokeStar Studios. See you soon!

Log #8-Becoming A Movie Star
Once I was done with Roxie and went north, I entered Poke Star Studios, the Pokemon World equivalent of Hollywood. The promoter guided me through the lot, eventually bringing me to the theater, where I ran into Pop Roxie. He was very excited to show me his movie. It was funny to see the audience actually fall asleep. He failed miserably. Dejected, he left the theater. Mr. Stu Deeoh (the guy who owns the theater), met me as did Brycen. Wait...Brycen?

284px-Black_White_Brycen.png
In the original Unova games, Brycen was the Icirrus City Gym Leader, specializing in the Ice Type. Two Years after the first games, he has retired from the Gym scene, returning to being an actor. In the PokeStar Studios movies he participates in, he calls himself "Brycen-Man".

With Pop Roxie failing, it is up to me to film a movie and beat Brycen Man. I am given a Riolu against his Pawniard and Vullaby. Pawniard fell to Force Palm and Vullaby fell to Ice Punch. In the end, I watched the movie, and the audience loved it. Made $32 Million from it.

After I watched the movie, I left Poke Star Studios, going back to Virbank City. Pop Roxie is encouraged to go back and resume his captainship. I am then drawn into a battle with Roxie and Hugh against several Team Plasma members, then I go hunt down a few others on Route 20. Upon beating them all, I travel on the boat to Castelia City. In the next Log, we will discuss Castelia City. See you soon!

Log #9-Exploring Castelia City
Castelia City.jpg

Finally in Castelia City, which is supposedly the largest city in Unova, though I think Nimbasa is larger. Upon arriving, Hugh and I see a pirate ship also docked there. Hugh rushes off in pursuit of Team Plasma, while I get my bearings. Once I leave the pier, I meet a Harlequin, who welcomes me to Castelia City and encourages me to take on the "Harlequin Hunt", a way to get to know the City. He also gives me a bike to speed down the road. While I am directed to go to the Medal Office, the Battle Company, & the Analytics HQ.

While I am going to this places, I explore the entire city, also visiting Cafe Sonata, where you can get something for Meloetta is you have one. I also went to the Game Freak Office, where I crushed them. Of the three locations I was directed to, I took on the Battle Company first. This place was great to train on, since all of the trainers want to fight. Going to the Analytics HQ, I answered some questionnaires. Finally, I found the Medal Office, where the quest for the Harlequins ended.

Having been to every major building in the city, I had to wonder, where was Burgh? Looking for answers, I met with Clyde, who told me that Burgh was in the Castelia Sewers. Hugh was interested to find him as well, as was a girl named Iris, who directed me to the Castelia Sewers. Hugh met me there, intent to take on Team Plasma. In the next Log, we will beat them down. See you soon!

Log #10-Down In The Sewers
Going down the stairs leading to the Sewers, I met up with Hugh, who decided to team up with me. The team up only works with Team Plasma. In most situations, this is a great time to train up a team, but for me, I had a goal, getting to Relic Passage, and my team was way over anything that could oppose me. There are very few Plasma Grunts here. We beat the Grunts, and met up with Burgh, who was down here as well.

153px-Black_White_Burgh.png
Burgh is the Gym Leader of Castelia City. No clue what he was doing down here. Maybe he was chasing out Team Plasma? He introduced himself, then went back to his Gym. We will be going after you soon Burgh!

Also in the Sewers was Colress, an eccentric scientist. What is he doing down here? Will we meet him again? Once they left and Hugh took his leave, I was left alone, able to explore Relic Passage, where I will hopefully be able to catch Drilbur. In the next Log, we will explore Relic Passage. See you soon!

Log #11-Exploring Relic Passage
At the end of the last Log, we went through the Castelia Sewers, beating Team Plasma. Now, we move forward to Relic Passage. I knew you could get Drilbur here through the Dust Clouds, but I didn't know the likelihood that I would be able to find it, since the Dust Clouds are rare, and you can get either items or Pokemon in a Dust Cloud, meaning that the likelihood of catching a Drilbur is random. There are a few Scientists here and a Backpacker, who all use Poison Types.

I had to wait a bit, chasing down Dust Clouds, but eventually, in the second Dust Cloud I ran into, I saw a Male Drilbur, exactly what I needed. Using Lenora, I lowered its health, confused it, then put it to sleep, catching it in a Poke Ball. I named it Clay. So, I have my 6th Team Member now. I want to get my Drilbur where it learns a Rock Type move for the battle against Burgh (Level 29-Rock Slide).

Considering my Drilbur is Level 17 (what I caught it at), it will take a few days to get ready to battle Burgh. The rest of my team is Level 23. It will take a while to get Drilbur to match the rest of my team, and then a while after that to get everyone up to the levels I want to get them. Maybe a few days.

In the next Log, we will face down Burgh. See you soon!

Is this your final team, or no?
No way! I still have a few others to get. I have to get all of the Gym Leader Ace Pokemon before I decide, though I have an idea of what my final team will be. I will have traveled through most of Unova before my team is set.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom