• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Vermilion is a port city with connections to the rest of the world. It's symbolic.
Considering that we rarely see them going to the Vermillion port, I think that's a bit of a stretch. A good portion of the series tend to be centered around the city and/or the lab too, so I don't see how it really is a symbolic connection to the rest of the world.

We don't know if Pokemon Journeys would last for more than one generation ala the original Pokemon series, so this might be the case that the writers erring on the side of caution. If Pokemon Journeys does indeed cover more than Gen VIII, they probably wouldn't want the base to be in Galar. Since Kanto is the original region, they wouldn't need to worry about the home base being outdated.

However, having said the above, I also agree that the Galar Region should have been the home base, regardless of whether Pokemon Journeys lasting longer than just Gen VIII.
I don't think it's really that likely for Journeys to last more than one generation given its current pace. It's possible and the idea that the writers wanted to be cautious with that possibility in mind isn't a stretch, but you'd think that they could just move their homebase to another region if the series does last longer than one generation instead of keeping it in Kanto. Not to mention I don't think that they really need a homebase to begin with given the world tour setup in general.

Considering that we rarely see them going to the Vermillion port, I think that's a bit of a stretch. A good portion of the series tend to be centered around the city and/or the lab too, so I don't see how it really is a symbolic connection to the rest of the world.

I don't think it's really that likely for Journeys to last more than one generation given its current pace. It's possible and the idea that the writers wanted to be cautious with that possibility in mind isn't a stretch, but you'd think that they could just move their homebase to another region if the series does last longer than one generation instead of keeping it in Kanto. Not to mention I don't think that they really need a homebase to begin with given the world tour setup in general.

The relocation of home base may be viewed as a too-big disruption to the status quo, which goes against the frequently-mentioned by writers' "episodic nature" of Pokemon JN. They could of course get around this by reintroducing anime seasons similarly to BW and XY, but at that point they may as well just move the Pokemon anime onto the next series.

Kanto is basically the default region. It makes sense for Ash and Goh stay there while they're not exploring. If they were in Galar, viewers would be wondering why he isn't taking on the Gym Challenge. And them being with Professor Magnolia wouldn't make sense either, given that her field of research wouldn't really allow fluid world traveling.

Kanto is basically the default region. It makes sense for Ash and Goh stay there while they're not exploring. If they were in Galar, viewers would be wondering why he isn't taking on the Gym Challenge. And them being with Professor Magnolia wouldn't make sense either, given that her field of research wouldn't really allow fluid world traveling.
To be fair, I've been wondering why he isn't taking on the Galar Gym Challenge since at least his first battle with Bea. I know that he wants to defeat Leon and the PWC is seemingly the fastest way to do so, but it's just still baffling to me that they're more interested in giving him quick one-on-one battles instead of a Gym Challenge full of powerful Gym Leaders if Bea and Raihan are any indication. I wouldn't really mind Kanto being the homebase if they made more effective use of the different settings from different regions, especially Galar, but that isn't the case.

To be fair, I've been wondering why he isn't taking on the Galar Gym Challenge since at least his first battle with Bea. I know that he wants to defeat Leon and the PWC is seemingly the fastest way to do so, but it's just still baffling to me that they're more interested in giving him quick one-on-one battles instead of a Gym Challenge full of powerful Gym Leaders if Bea and Raihan are any indication. I wouldn't really mind Kanto being the homebase if they made more effective use of the different settings from different regions, especially Galar, but that isn't the case.
I admit I wonder now if the lower focus on battling (and perhaps the idea of a single home base instead of constant travel) is here to stay. We've had it twice in a row now and I believe a large portion of the original writing staff left after Kalos.

I admit I wonder now if the lower focus on battling (and perhaps the idea of a single home base instead of constant travel) is here to stay. We've had it twice in a row now and I believe a large portion of the original writing staff left after Kalos.
It's hard to say. Journeys is still pretty different even without that part of its setup in mind, so they could do something different for the next series. As much as people didn't like the lack of battles or staying primarily in one area during SM either, I think that formula worked a lot better in SM than in Journeys. Or at least it felt more natural. At least Ash was still exploring the then newest region, interacting with new Pokemon and the large cast size made the homebase setting more of a necessity, even if the Pokemon School was pretty much just in the background. The homebase and especially lower focus on battling feels much more at odds with Journeys' setup than it did for SM.

I think another thing that makes the lessened focus on battles more noticeable is the fact that the PWC should in theory have many more opportunities for those due to its setup of being a world torunament open to literally any and every kind of trainer, meaning the possibilities here were literally endless. Alola by contrast only really had the Island Trials/Kahuna Battles, which were significantly less numerous, so there was a lot less to work with by comparison.

Also not helping is that Ash's current team has no less than two members with a "proud warrior" personality in Lucario and Sirfetch'd which none of the Alola Pokemon really had, which also in turn makes the aforementioned Fighting-types feel somewhat out of place in the series.

"Default region" excuse me? That’s heavily subjective. No, it doesn’t make sense to me.
What makes sense to me is giving the newest region focus while keeping the world travel aspect relevant by setting them up as research fellows in Galar. Viewers are already wondering why Ash isn’t taking up the Galar gym challenge so that point is moot.

Dynamax might not be the ONLY thing she investigates. They can investigate the Galar myths, and travel to other regions to correlate the other region's myths with it, meanwhile helping Go to actually do some research to get to Mew. It makes perfect sense. The Sakuragi institute "research" could easily be carried out in Galar. And the assistant characters could also be placed in such a setting pretty easily.

I mean, no offence but didn’t you actually say before that she’s the least interesting character on the main cast? I’m just slightly confused as to how you perceive her character right now.

She is. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate her concept.

I like her concept. I think that she, as a Person, is a much more interesting being than Goh or even Ash, actually. But considering her as a Pokémon character, she is quite underdeveloped.

Last edited:
But considering her as a Pokémon character, she is quite underdeveloped.
Because her development really only just started? And she hardly gets focus episodes and regular screentime compared to other pokemon characters-Tracey got more screentime than she has at this point in time and she's still got more going for her.

Because her development really only just started? And she hardly gets focus episodes and regular screentime compared to other pokemon characters-Tracey got more screentime than she has at this point in time and she's still got more going for her.
If you ask me, her development should have started a long time ago, along with her appearing more than she has.

Controversial Opinion : Darkrai and Cresselia 2 episode arc should've been 3 episodes instead (and Yes I know we didn't even see the second episode but I'm gonna be bold on this take)

It's in Japan.
Unova, Kalos, and Alola weren't in Japan. Alola had entire themes based around its region as a whole. Honestly, I just can't see that as a viable excuse, especially since the Pokemon series' primary focus is marketing: it makes more sense to advertise the newest games by putting Galar at the forefront.

I’m only writing this because I genuinely want to learn, but what is it about Koharu that makes her interesting/good character to people? Can anyone shed a light on my ignorance?
Mostly because she's relatable. She's like a girl from real world dropped on Pokémon World, a fish out of water situation. Her interaction with pokémon too pretty interesting, like, "I like pokémon too guys, but it's not everything you know?"
Unova, Kalos, and Alola weren't in Japan. Alola had entire themes based around its region as a whole.
So?

The anime doesn't feel that Japanese, that was during the original Kanto.
But now it feels like a generic setting that could be everywhere.
In part thanks to the Internationalization of the series.

There are other animes that get to keep those elements; no matter if they will air, eventually, in other countries.

Back
Top Bottom