• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Masters Pokémon Masters General Discussion Thread

I mean, Charizard has three alternate forms in Mega X, Mega Y and G-Max. I'd assume that's why there are three. One for each.

But the player’s Charizard can’t Mega Evolve into Mega Y so maybe we have one that doesn’t Mega Evolve or G-Maxes, one that does Mega Evolve, and one that G-Maxes. This can be also with Mirah and Riley’s Pokémon. Sabrina’s Alakazam and Korrina’s Lucario can Mega Evolve while Riley’s Lucario and Mirah’s Alakazam can don’t. Also Mirah needs to probably trade her Kadabra to evolve it. Anyway, that can explain if Darach is synced with Gallade and it won’t Mega Evolve where as Wally’s will.

Well, Champion Iris is out now. Once Diantha is out, the loading screen puzzle is complete. Still wondering why Ryuki and Darach aren't out yet.

Hopefully Ryuki will be out on the “Trials on the Isles” events.

Also, why are Jessie, James, and Meowth the only exceptions with their Anime counterpart’s V.A.’s voicing their Master’s counterparts. I was hoping Michele Knotz could also reprise her role as May. Will Cristina Vee voice Marnie’s yet-to-be Anime counterpart in if she voiced Ash’s Riolu? If we have Klara, hopefully she’s Erica Mendez like in Twilight Wings because she voiced Hilda and Gardenia in Masters. Is it because they don’t want their voice to sound different in any counterparts?

Also, why are Jessie, James, and Meowth the only exceptions with their Anime counterpart’s V.A.’s voicing their Master’s counterparts. I was hoping Michele Knotz could also reprise her role as May. Will Cristina Vee voice Marnie’s yet-to-be Anime counterpart in if she voiced Ash’s Riolu? If we have Klara, hopefully she’s Erica Mendez like in Twilight Wings because she voiced Hilda and Gardenia in Masters. Is it because they don’t want their voice to sound different in any counterparts?

A few reasons/ideas:
They couldn't get the original voice actors.

Alternate interpretations os how the characters sound.

Jessie, James, and Meowth are more associated with the anime than other trainers. Sure, they've appeared in games like Yellow and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, but you don't really think "wow, there's Jessie from Let's Go Pikachu"; you think "wow, there's Jessie from the anime". Similarly, you don't think "wow, there's Steven from the anime", you think "wow, there's Steven from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire". (I mean there are probably exceptions, but you get the idea). If you can't get Steven's OG voice actor, fine, but Jessie/James/Meowth's voices are so ingrained in their character in image that you kind of have to get their OG voice actor.

Jessie, James, and Meowth are more associated with the anime than other trainers. Sure, they've appeared in games like Yellow and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, but you don't really think "wow, there's Jessie from Let's Go Pikachu"; you think "wow, there's Jessie from the anime". Similarly, you don't think "wow, there's Steven from the anime", you think "wow, there's Steven from Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire". (I mean there are probably exceptions, but you get the idea). If you can't get Steven's OG voice actor, fine, but Jessie/James/Meowth's voices are so ingrained in their character in image that you kind of have to get their OG voice actor.
I think you hit the nail on the head. The Trio is an anime icon, was originally from the anime and only featured as an anime tie-in in the games, and has been present every season of the anime if I remember correctly. It would probably seem jarring or disappointing to hear someone else voice those iconic characters instead of the people who've been voicing them for ~20 years straight. On the other hand, characters that weren't so prominently featured in the anime could probably do with different voice actors because there isn't as much of a connection between anime actor and character. And for certain characters such as May, I think it's reasonable to assume that the Masters version is different from the Anime version, like an alt-universe version, so Masters can get away with using a different voice actor for her. Masters May seems to be more in line with Game May while Anime May is her own thing.

And this could also explains why they weren’t voiced when they were first introduced.

Next question who will voice Klara? Twilight and Masters are fully based off of the games and because Erica Mendez voiced Hilda and Gardenia, I wouldn’t be surprised if Klara was reprised by Mendez too. Why have Morris voice Marnie if she is part of the main Amine cast? I get that Sygna Blue has the same VA as Masters Blue because well, he is the same. I mean, they only need to record a few lines for each sync pair. They don’t add new lines for the same kind. Cherami Leigh maybe busy voicing Chloe for the next set but if there’s a special Kris or Mina, she could record a few more lines for Masters. Funny thing,
Rosa's BW2 trailer Japnese VA does reprise her in the Japanese dub.

Does anyone subscribe to Absol-lutley PM? They show a lot of sneak peeks of upcoming content on PM EX. He even has the voices of a few characters coming up. Anyway,
the next chapter is coming tonight at 11:59 PM and I wonder if we will get Olympia. I assume she’d be recruited from the Main Story as all of the female Kalosian Gym Leaders were obtained there while the male were obtained during Sync Pair scout.
I wonder what Pokémon that Alexa will have but she probably will be synced with Helioptile because
Easter 2021 Burgh will be synced with Togepi while Holiday Skyla is synced with Togekiss and it possibly won’t evolve into Heliolisk because of using a Sun Stone to evolve it like Mirah would with her Kadabra.

It would probably seem jarring or disappointing to hear someone else voice those iconic characters instead of the people who've been voicing them for ~20 years straight.

Also, they only voiced the characters since 2006, about 15 yrs.

Also, does anyone think the side stories (I.E.: Sync Pair stories and Events) are canon. There are a bunch of stories where a sync pair is un-evolved, then evolved, and then some not evolved while others are evolved and so on. Anyway, the stories in PM EX are like the core series timelines.

I assume that there’ll be 30 chs. in the Main Story. I’m hoping we’ll have no more interludes. I don’t know who our Full-Force Battle! for Trials on the Isle. I was expecting for Team Break to disband but no.

Last edited:
Also, does anyone think the side stories (I.E.: Sync Pair stories and Events) are canon. There are a bunch of stories where a sync pair is un-evolved, then evolved, and then some not evolved while others are evolved and so on. Anyway, the stories in PM EX are like the core series timelines.
Most likely. They usually don't connect to the main story (vice versa as well) so my headcannon is that the Sync Pair stories and events just introduce more characters to the island who can be recruited to fight in the PML.

Does anyone subscribe to Absol-lutley PM? They show a lot of sneak peeks of upcoming content on PM EX. He even has the voices of a few characters coming up. Anyway,
I have heard of him but from what I heard the way he gets some of his info is sketchy.

Most likely. They usually don't connect to the main story (vice versa as well) so my headcannon is that the Sync Pair stories and events just introduce more characters to the island who can be recruited to fight in the PML.

So what you think is that each story/event is just a way to promote new Sync Pairs for us to join our teams and compete in the PML while each side isn’t canon.

Update: The COVID pandemic couldn't have affected TTR to be voiced in the English dub since other characters were there too.

It was also DeNA's choice to pick which character should get which attire. It's probably their favorite attires. I don't know about any Gym Leader that hasn't appeared yet to have their original attire.

Last edited:
So why would voicing be infected due to COVID-19? TTR. This was July 8, 2020. Weren’t things better for Pokémon during that time? They resumed the Anime. Why weren’t any recordings for other new sync pairs at that time affected?

Ingo and Emmett sound pretty good. I haven't been much of a fan of the VA voice direction wise but their two VA's have some good energy to them.

ALLL ABOOOOOARD!

So why would voicing be infected due to COVID-19? TTR. This was July 8, 2020. Weren’t things better for Pokémon during that time? They resumed the Anime. Why weren’t any recordings for other new sync pairs at that time affected?
You have to take into consideration the fact that you can't just record voice lines the night before a character is released. I'm not to in on the know about voice acting stuff, but from my experience recording stuff, the process involves recording lines with the proper equipment and in the proper location, mixing and editing the vocals, and putting them into the game, which probably didn't happen overnight.

With the pandemic, many voice actors have had to make at home recording studios with comparable quality to professional studios they obviously couldn't go to, which takes a lot of time, resources, and money. I'm guessing that the voice actors for TTR were used to going to recording studios and probably didn't yet have the resources to record at home in time for the release of TTR in Masters. Other voice actors might have already been recording from home and/or they already had the voice lines for those characters.

Also, just because the anime was able to resume despite the pandemic doesn't mean that other parts of the franchise would be the same.

You have to take into consideration the fact that you can't just record voice lines the night before a character is released. I'm not to in on the know about voice acting stuff, but from my experience recording stuff, the process involves recording lines with the proper equipment and in the proper location, mixing and editing the vocals, and putting them into the game, which probably didn't happen overnight.

With the pandemic, many voice actors have had to make at home recording studios with comparable quality to professional studios they obviously couldn't go to, which takes a lot of time, resources, and money. I'm guessing that the voice actors for TTR were used to going to recording studios and probably didn't yet have the resources to record at home in time for the release of TTR in Masters. Other voice actors might have already been recording from home and/or they already had the voice lines for those characters.

Also, just because the anime was able to resume despite the pandemic doesn't mean that other parts of the franchise would be the same.

Yeah! The Heart of the Jungle was still delayed. Speaking of the actors, in the Japanese dub actually had actors/actresses from other counterparts voice the Masters counterparts. Will Klara be Erica Mendez in Masters? If Cherami Leigh voiced Iris in Generations why did she not voice Iris in Masters even though she voiced Kris (and possibly Mina) in Masters. Why do actors/actresses still voice characters even after they joined the main Anime? Should a Special Kris not be voiced Leigh? Could they hire Marina’s actor to voice a Special Kris? I mean, she should be busy enough voicing Chloe.

If Cherami Leigh voiced Iris in Generations why did she not voice Iris in Masters even though she voiced Kris (and possibly Mina) in Masters.
TPCI normally has different voice actors for each version of the characters regardless if they've voiced them before. (Lance for example has Wayne Grayson for the main anime, Bob Buchholz in Origins, Ben Diskin in Generations and Bill Millsap in Masters). That's why Cherami didn't voice Iris in Masters.

Speaking of which, it was kinda funny to see Cassandra Lee Morris playing a character that Eileen Stevens voiced in the anime. With Leo and Luna in Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's once she moved to LA they recasted them with Eileen so it's funny to see the other way around happen.

So even though Erica Mendez has voiced Hilda and Gardenia in Masters while Klara in Twilight Wings, Mendez will probably not voice Klara in Masters. Same with the possibility of Kira Buckland Malva in Masters.

So on Tuesday, the Story Event, Summer Superstars is rerunning until August 3. They will have Full-Force! Battles instead of the Battle Challenge for an unknown reason.

And guess what’s coming on Friday?

New story adding. Kinda surprised to see it getting added earlier. They said that they would finish the story by August. But on the plus side, I hope we get a preview of the final chapter.

Last edited:
New story adding. Kinda surprised to see it getting added earlier. They said that they would finish the story by August. But on the plus side, I hope we get a preview of the final chapter.
Well, "by August" implies any time up until August, and the update with the final chapter is coming just as July is about to end, so I'm not too surprised.
Today, I learned some news on Serebii.net. A Legendary Event called Howling Shield of Eternity will run from August 21th and will give a chance to recruit Hop and Zamazenta.
Let's go. :D

Back
Top Bottom