• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I wonder if these remakes will have the National Dex? I mean, SwSh kind of nuked a bunch of Pokemon, but with the more simplified art style here, wouldn't that make it easier to include every single Pokemon? I do see some Pokemon returning such as Sentret and Numel in some trailers.
I don’t think the national dex is here. They would have shown it by now. At most, Sylveon will be included, but that’s probably about it for the Pokemon outside Gen 4

I wonder if these remakes will have the National Dex? I mean, SwSh kind of nuked a bunch of Pokemon, but with the more simplified art style here, wouldn't that make it easier to include every single Pokemon? I do see some Pokemon returning such as Sentret and Numel in some trailers.
Saying that they nuked Pokemon by not including them in Sword/Shield sounds a bit odd to me. I understand the general point, but it just sounds more harsh than I think it should be considering that those Pokemon still exist.

I don't think that the National Dex would be included either. I'm not sure if the simplified art style would necessarily make it easier to include every single Pokemon. That would still require making models for nearly nine hundred Pokemon, so I don't know if a different art style would make something like that significantly easier. I could see them including Sylveon just to have all of the Eevee evolutions available, but even that might not happen. I'm not against seeing later generations in BD/SP, but I don't think it's particularly likely to happen.

Saying that they nuked Pokemon by not including them in Sword/Shield sounds a bit odd to me. I understand the general point, but it just sounds more harsh than I think it should be considering that those Pokemon still exist.

Sorry, bad wording on my part. What I meant to say that SwSh included some Pokemon in the game while excluding others.

I think it's gonna be the original 493 + Sylveon, and if we're lucky they'll throw in the Alolan/Galarian forms and cross-gen evolutions (and maybe Megas) as well. No way they'll include the complete National Dex including gen. 8, though, that would make the whole Dexit controversy look even worse than it already did.

The HM mechanic feels half perfect - Calling out wild pokemon to do HM's is an excellent bypass to needing a pokemon in your party to do it for you. But still... I'd love if the game would let us use our own Pokemon to do HM's without taking up move slots as well. Having both options would allow for a more personal experience with my party Pokemon to get past obstacles, all without the need of forcing any kind of teambuilding.

I'd say the first 493 are a given, but it probably won't be much more than that.

Oddly, I almost feel like Megas have a slightly better chance than regional forms this time around. It was one thing, you know, for LGPE to include Alola's regional forms, because they were all strictly forms of Pokémon from the first generation, so that didn't break the game's commitment to using only the Pokémon species that were originally found in Kanto + Meltan. Here, though, if they were to include Galarian forms, then they'd also have to include Perrserker, Sirfetch'd, Mr. Rime, Cursola, and Obstagoon. That would of course be perfectly possible for them to do in a technical sense, but is it probable? I don't know. Right now, they haven't given us much of a reason to expect anything being the first 493, be it a full species or a form/Mega.

One thought that crossed my mind - though I didn't like it - was that they could just keep it limited to Alolan Forms and Megas, as LGPE did, while leaving out Galarian Forms. But I wonder what it would mean from a programming perspective to permit only Kantonian and Alolan Meowth into BDSP, and not Galarian Meowth? Would that be easier or harder than just going ahead and including Perrserker? Is it even a matter of easy vs. hard, or would it come down to directives from the project leads? As far as I can recall, they've only ever prevented whole species from being moved into a particular game, but select alternate forms (specifically that can exist outside of battle) have never really been blocked out like that unless they were already intended to be a one-gen-only thing (Spiky-eared Pichu, Cosplay Pikachu, the Totems). However, this whole Dexit thing is still pretty new, and I guess there's a first time for everything, so.

Personally speaking, I'd want them to include Alolans, Galarians, Galarian evos, Sylveon, and Megas (as well as Regieleki and Regidrago, but realistically I already know that those two have a snowball's chance). Though if they did include the likes of Sylveon, Perrserker, and the two new Regis, I wonder how that would be sorted into the Dex. We know that the game does still make a distinction between the regional Sinnoh Dex numbers and the full National Dex numbers, but it's possible that we could still be getting a "new" regional Sinnoh Dex with some adjustments, much like the new Hoenn Dex in ORAS. Lord knows how weird it is that the regional Sinnoh Dex from DPP still doesn't include a number of Gen 4 Pokémon, namely a bunch of the Legendaries and Mythicals.

Last edited:
I'd say the first 493 are a given, but it probably won't be much more than that.

Oddly, I almost feel like Megas have a slightly better chance than regional forms this time around. It was one thing, you know, for LGPE to include Alola's regional forms, because they were all strictly forms of Pokémon from the first generation, so that didn't break the game's commitment to using only the Pokémon species that were originally found in Kanto + Meltan. Here, though, if they were to include Galarian forms, then they'd also have to include Perrserker, Sirfetch'd, Mr. Rime, Cursola, and Obstagoon. That would of course be perfectly possible for them to do in a technical sense, but is it probable? I don't know. Right now, they haven't given us much of a reason to expect anything being the first 493, be it a full species or a form/Mega.

One thought that crossed my mind - though I didn't like it - was that they could just keep it limited to Alolan Forms and Megas, as LGPE did, while leaving out Galarian Forms. But I wonder what it would mean from a programming perspective to permit only Kantonian and Alolan Meowth into BDSP, and not Galarian Meowth? Would that be easier or harder than just going ahead and including Perrserker? Is it even a matter of easy vs. hard, or would it come down to directives from the project leads? As far as I can recall, they've only ever prevented whole species from being moved into a particular game, but select alternate forms (specifically that can exist outside of battle) have never really been blocked out like that unless they were already intended to be a one-gen-only thing (Spiky-eared Pichu, Cosplay Pikachu, the Totems). However, this whole Dexit thing is still pretty new, and I guess there's a first time for everything, so.

Personally speaking, I'd want them to include Alolans, Galarians, Galarian evos, Sylveon, and Megas (as well as Regieleki and Regidrago, but realistically I already know that those two have a snowball's chance). Though if they did include the likes of Sylveon, Perrserker, and the two new Regis, I wonder how that would be sorted into the Dex. We know that the game does still make a distinction between the regional Sinnoh Dex numbers and the full National Dex numbers, but it's possible that we could still be getting a "new" regional Sinnoh Dex with some adjustments, much like the new Hoenn Dex in ORAS. Lord knows how weird it is that the regional Sinnoh Dex from DPP still doesn't include a number of Gen 4 Pokémon, namely a bunch of the Legendaries and Mythicals.

I think it might be worth noting that Shiny Zacian/Zamazenta are preorder bonuses for BDSP in South Korea.

They pulled the exact same thing with Shiny Necrozma & SwSh, and it turned out to be transfer-only.

I think at the very least, there's a good chance for some Gens 5-8, but I personally wouldn't expect too many.

I think it might be worth noting that Shiny Zacian/Zamazenta are preorder bonuses for BDSP in South Korea.

They pulled the exact same thing with Shiny Necrozma & SwSh, and it turned out to be transfer-only.

I think at the very least, there's a good chance for some Gens 5-8, but I personally wouldn't expect too many.

Yeah, but here’s the thing about that, in my head at least.

Shiny Necrozma was distributed for a generation that was firmly in its dying days. The event initially ran from September to November 2019, so right on the cusp of SwSh’s release. Even assuming - and I’m not quite sure we should - that Game Freak programmed Necrozma into SwSh with this specific event in mind (after all, it’s not like the Swords of Justice got some kind of special distribution, but they were part of the hidden 35 species in SwSh’s code too), there would be a logic to that, in the sense that it would be maybe kind of silly to distribute a special Pokémon to players as a reward for having preordered a game, but for that Pokémon to only be usable (seeing as Shiny Necrozma’s serial code had to be redeemed in SM/USUM) in a set of games that were about to be completely supplanted by the incoming game they’ve preordered.

But here we have a somewhat different situation. SwSh are still the host games for VGC and Ranked Battles; they still feature Max Raid events and a very active playerbase, and all of that will continue to be true even though BDSP and Arceus are coming out soon. Unlike with Necrozma, we’re not at the final transitioning point between a perishing generation and a new one; we’re still in the middle of Gen 8. So they could distribute Shiny Zacian/Zamazenta to SwSh owners who preorder BDSP, and those players will still have a perfectly good place in which to use their cool new Shiny (because just as before, the serial codes for the wolves have to be redeemed in SwSh) for a solid amount of time, even if the wolves can’t ever be moved into BDSP. (Plus, it’s Zacian and Zamazenta, and them with their signature moves just make more sense in an environment where Dynamax is a crucial part of the battle scene.)

I have a feeling that there will be a big surprise in the postgame:

either a "Platinum Episode" (basically like the Delta Episode in ORAS), or alternatively, a brand new postgame plot, not related to Platinum. Maybe with Looker involved.

I just have a feeling about it.

It's just a Pokemon Camp equivalent. Let's not overglorify returning features.

It seems to be inspired by Camp, but it's not exactly the same. This will be the first time in a Pokemon game (not including spin-offs like Ranger) that you can actually run around with your whole party.

I think it's gonna be the original 493 + Sylveon, and if we're lucky they'll throw in the Alolan/Galarian forms and cross-gen evolutions (and maybe Megas) as well. No way they'll include the complete National Dex including gen. 8, though, that would make the whole Dexit controversy look even worse than it already did.
The Dexit controversy would actually look worse if they don't bring the National Dex back to Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Because people would keep begging to get it back in the next generation. If the National Dex was dropped from Sword and Shield but returns in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, I think it would be justified by the way most of Pokémon returned in the Galar DLC that the work on new models was cut out for the Sinnoh remakes.

either a "Platinum Episode" (basically like the Delta Episode in ORAS), or alternatively, a brand new postgame plot, not related to Platinum. Maybe with Looker involved.

Whatever it is, I hope they don't reveal too much about it before the release date. I feel the Delta episode and Rainbow Rocket would have been received much more positively if we didn't know about them beforehand.

If there ever is a "Platinim Episode," whatever content it has, I hope to Arceus it is indeed a post game thing and not locked behind DLC like so many people have speculated. Anything added that is Platinum-based should be part of the game already.

If there ever is a "Platinim Episode," whatever content it has, I hope to Arceus it is indeed a post game thing and not locked behind DLC like so many people have speculated. Anything added that is Platinum-based should be part of the game already.
Well, I think DLC is only made for brand new games like SwSh. Therefore, I don't think BDSP will be getting DLC, because remakes are already considered a "complete game" from the start.

We only have 1 precedent sofar which is LGPE, and it didn't get any DLC. So I expect the same treatment for BDSP, and all future remakes on the Switch.

Last edited:
It seems to be inspired by Camp, but it's not exactly the same. This will be the first time in a Pokemon game (not including spin-offs like Ranger) that you can actually run around with your whole party.
Exactly. I would actually consider it a notable step up from Camp due to the player character actually being physically present to interact with their entire party on screen, for the first time in a mainland Pokémon game (sorry Cameron, your photos don't count). Granted, it is only doable in a restricted area, but here's hoping they make it available through normal travel (or in at least more areas) like in Sword & Shield going forward.

Given that the Pal Park looks different than it did in Generation IV on the big map we got, I have a feeling something will at least happen there.

The Dexit controversy would actually look worse if they don't bring the National Dex back to Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. Because people would keep begging to get it back in the next generation. If the National Dex was dropped from Sword and Shield but returns in Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, I think it would be justified by the way most of Pokémon returned in the Galar DLC that the work on new models was cut out for the Sinnoh remakes.

Yeah but it won't come back, cuz ILCA makes the games (And are game design Rookies) and not Gamefreak and considering we have Walking Pokemon, they need to make animations for all of the Pokemon in that case.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom