• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Chibi-style of the game. Like or Hate

Do you like the the fact that the characters are Chibi?

• Yes

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters
The problem to me with the BDSP chibi style is that it is far too faithful to the spritework. I've always been of the opinion that chibis look far better in 2D than 3D, as I find giant heads and weird proportions to be more jarring and harder to believe in a 3D environment. This style just doesn't translate well, and that's why it was altered to a different chibi style with Gen 6 and LGPE, which was better designed to work in a 3D space.

Not only that, but this chibi style contrasts in a worst way against the most typically-proportioned battles.

To me, artstyle in Pokemon is of high importance, and this is an influence that makes me not want to purchase the game.
That's fair.

I gave the anime's wacky looking Sun and Moon series a chance and actually found it to be an enjoyable oasis smushed between two cringeworthy messes that I frankly cannot stomach. I like Pokémon such as Swoobat despite their designs. It would be quite hypocritical if I suddenly judged Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl on the chibified appearance alone. Should it turn out that I pass these games up, there will be other factors responsible for this.

Functionality first. Not appearance. That's what I look for. The overworld characters could be stickmen and I'd still buy if the game itself were fantastic.

Still not super fond of it, as it still looks like something straight out of Mattel's toy line. However, given all the bonus content, QoL upgrades, customization, and other nice additions these games are offering I'm willing to accept it as part of the package. At least the character customization feature makes it more interesting. While I'd rather have more "realistic" proportions, like how Gen 7 and SWSH did things, I can live ultimately live with it. It does make me wonder if (and I mean a big IF) we get Gen 5 remakes they'll follow the same path as BDSP or not in terms of art style. Guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. But, overall, while I'm still not 100% sold on it, at this point and time I can live with it.

It does make me wonder if (and I mean a big IF) we get Gen 5 remakes they'll follow the same path as BDSP or not in terms of art style. Guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we get there. But, overall, while I'm still not 100% sold on it, at this point and time I can live with it.
It would make sense as Gen 5's sprites are the most similar to BDSP's style with their tiny bodies and enormous heads, especially when not in motion.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom