• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Leaks/Rumors Thread

I counted 5.
We only have Hisuian Growlithe and Braviary- where are you getting the other three?

If you're counting Basculegion, Wyrdeer, and Kleavor then pardon me but- no shit they're retaining a type. They're standard evolutions.

Ah, follow-up on that last post- someone did find a link to the thread! 【图片】【起底】所谓的外国舅舅CentroLEAKS【口袋妖怪吧】_百度贴吧

(Also, google translate seems to be translating "insider" as "uncle", which I think is funny, like a literal "uncle who works at Nintendo"- unless that's the joke on purpose?)
XD Oh man, I only ran a couple posts through Google translate but Centro is getting roasted over there.

Nice to know where these leaks are actually originating from, though. Wish they'd just be honest with their information, it'd be much more respectable.

....wait, is Centro saying that the emoji hints are supposed to be for starter evos?

....................how.
Yes, deleted tweets confirm that the SE in the text post stands for starter evolutions, and that the three emoji are for them. Which is what I originally thought!

Buff baby reminds me of Oshawott since that is the “baby” cute one of the three. Water/Fighting final form isn’t too unexpected with its original samurai theme. Actually, buff baby = sumo probably. Which could be either Oshawott or Cyndaquil really (I don’t see Rowlet going sumo). But Fire/Fighting Cyndaquil would be…. Bringing up old wounds in the fandom LMAO so I’ll stick with Oshawott.

Butterfly moon reminds me of Rowlet since owls are nocturnal. Grass/Fairy! I would die and love it!

Kimono ghost would then be Cyndaquil (or Oshawott?). Kimono could really be just traditional clothing like shogun, which Typhlosion is supposedly kind of based on in name. Fire/Ghost then?

Last edited:
This post on reddit says the first anime girl is called "little bird" in Chinese, and the second is somehow a reference to Samurott's Chinese name- don't know if that's what the leaker said or if it's just speculation on their part, though.

This post on reddit says the first anime girl is called "little bird" in Chinese, and the second is somehow a reference to Samurott's Chinese name- don't know if that's what the leaker said or if it's just speculation on their part, though.
Grass/Fighting Rowlet??? If it’s ninja that’d be okay, but the emoji really imply sumo which would go over… poorly I think. Water/Ghost kimono Oshawott is interesting… that would mean Cyndaquil is the butterfly moon which uhh I don’t understand in the slightest.

Anyone know if this is actually just Chinese speculation or actual hints?

Yes, deleted tweets confirm that the SE in the text post stands for starter evolutions, and that the three emoji are for them. Which is what I originally thought!

Buff baby reminds me of Oshawott since that is the “baby” cute one of the three. Water/Fighting final form isn’t too unexpected with its original samurai theme. Actually, buff baby = sumo probably. Which could be either Oshawott or Cyndaquil really (I don’t see Rowlet going sumo). But Fire/Fighting Cyndaquil would be…. Bringing up old wounds in the fandom LMAO so I’ll stick with Oshawott.

Butterfly moon reminds me of Rowlet since owls are nocturnal. Grass/Fairy! I would die and love it!

Kimono ghost would then be Cyndaquil (or Oshawott?). Kimono could really be just traditional clothing like shogun, which Typhlosion is supposedly kind of based on in name. Fire/Ghost then?
They're all baby to me. XD

Gawd, if it's really starter evos, I'd really hoped that Rowlet would go a snowy owl route if it ever got anything.

Grass/Fighting Rowlet??? If it’s ninja that’d be okay, but the emoji really imply sumo which would go over… poorly I think. Water/Ghost kimono Oshawott is interesting… that would mean Cyndaquil is the butterfly moon which uhh I don’t understand in the slightest.

Anyone know if this is actually just Chinese speculation or actual hints?
I think we should probably just ignore the emoji now that we know the original source.

So I guess it's... a buff owl, a kimono for oshawott, and a... moon moth cyndaquil is still a weird direction to go in.

I wonder if it's purely name-based. Since the "ghost" is apparently referring to Samurott's name. That could be a Mega Ampharos situation where they decided to use the name (the ryuu, "dragon") as inspiration for its type, or it could just be a case of keeping the name similar by retaining that one part.

Last edited:
They're all baby to me. XD

Gawd, if it's really starter evos, I'd really hoped that Rowlet would go a snowy owl route if it ever got anything.

I think we should probably just ignore the emoji now that we know the original source.

So I guess it's... a buff owl, a kimono for oshawott, and a... moon moth cyndaquil is still a weird direction to go in.

I wonder if it's purely name-based. Since the "ghost" is apparently referring to Samurott's name. That could be a Mega Ampharos situation where they decided to use the name (the ryuu, "dragon") as inspiration for its type, or it could just be a case of keeping the name similar by retaining that one part.
Yeah, I looked up the characters for Samurott’s Chinese name and the last character on its own is indeed “ghost”. Interestingly, the character is not in the names for Oshawott or Dewott… does this mean these are regional variants of the final evolutions and not brand new branched evos?

So all we currently know is a Fighting type Rowlet (I’m assuming ninja), a Kimono-wearing Oshawott, and… something with butterflies and moons for Cyndaquil. Lmao

We only have Hisuian Growlithe and Braviary- where are you getting the other three?

If you're counting Basculegion, Wyrdeer, and Kleavor then pardon me but- no shit they're retaining a type. They're standard evolutions.
But as Cursola is a completely different type than standard Corsola, those above regional evolutions are retaining a type.

But as Cursola is a completely different type than standard Corsola, those above regional evolutions are retaining a type.
What are you talking about... Cursola evolves from a regional variant of Corsola. We already know that regional variants can change type completely. That's not a standard evolution.

So far, what we know is that the two regional variants that have been revealed have retained one of their original types (which for Braviary isn't remotely a surprise, pretty much every bird has Flying), and that doesn't really set a precedent for what to expect for any other regional variants in this region. If there is a Hisuian Voltorb and Electrode, they may lose the Electric-type entirely.

Beyond that, the standard evolutions of Wyrdeer, Kleavor and most likely Basculegion, retain one of their original types because they evolve from standard Stantler, Scyther and Basculin.

Problem with the Oshawott thing, it would kind of have to focus on the Kimono part, not the ghost part because... we literally already have a Water/Ghost type in Basculegion.
The ghost emoji was just the hint that the kimono relates to Samurott- the last character in Samurott’s Chinese name on its own means “ghost”. It does not supposedly hint at any of the starters being ghost type.

Problem with the Oshawott thing, it would kind of have to focus on the Kimono part, not the ghost part because... we literally already have a Water/Ghost type in Basculegion.
Psh, they could double up on type combos, though. XP Water/Fairy Primarina didn't stop Tapu Fini from happening.

But yeah, it might just be based on the name, like... if we got a Kimonott instead of Samurott.

What if... butterfly spaniel typhlosion.

Papillon-on-white-06.jpg

I mean it makes about as much sense as anything else at this point.

If its split evo's instead of a variant, perhaps the moon butterfly/moth is in some way a reference to the evolutions name instead of design? One part of it atleast.

If its split evo's instead of a variant, perhaps the moon butterfly/moth is in some way a reference to the evolutions name instead of design? One part of it atleast.

That's kinda what I was thinking, since they opted to refer to Samurott's name with that hint. I wonder if all the picture hints are actually just name-based and have little to do with type or design.

The Chinese Riddler was just observing that Piplup, Voltorb and Electrode are in the same merchandise line, while the Legends starters are in a separate line.

There's nothing at all remarkable about the starters being marketed. The Voltorb line is more interesting, but even that may be normal in Japan. Magnemite is very popular there, so why not Voltorb? Anyway, Piplup is definitely not getting a new form, nor is Empoleon.

Also, reminder that the Riddler hasn't been relevant in 5 years except for silly drama. He might be more interesting than Centro, but that's no excuse to start talking about a butterfly version of Typhlosion.

Last edited:
Psh, they could double up on type combos, though. XP Water/Fairy Primarina didn't stop Tapu Fini from happening.

As well as Decidueye and Dhelmise in that very same Gen. (Plus Golisopod and Araquanid, for non-Starter examples!) As long as they handle differently/have different skills and toolkits, I don’t think GF worry too much about type overlap.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom