• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion (older seasons)

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of Pokémon that Bill Rogers didn't voice are credited to him, especially from DP. In general, Bulbapedia really didn't enforce its "no speculation" policy much until BW, so there's a lot of miscredits on the site that were added before then. I could name some other examples that I'm suspicious of if anyone wants, but I don't want to make this thread too ranty. Plus, for many of them it won't be as easy to verify who the actual VA is.

On today's scenario of "The More You Know", David Lapkin was actually the Magikarp Salesman in the one TAJ dubbed episode he was in rather than Bill Rogers. This also means that the Clyde Hunter name was a pseudonym as well seeing as there's a few other roles listed here that featured Clyde Hunter credited.

I'll put the interview up if it ever gets uploaded to YouTube but I was most surprised seeing it the first time.

On today's scenario of "The More You Know", David Lapkin was actually the Magikarp Salesman in the one TAJ dubbed episode he was in rather than Bill Rogers. This also means that the Clyde Hunter name was a pseudonym as well seeing as there's a few other roles listed here that featured Clyde Hunter credited.

I'll put the interview up if it ever gets uploaded to YouTube but I was most surprised seeing it the first time.
That'd explain why Wayland did the salesman in the Kanto festival episode when Bill also worked on that episode

I actually knew about this but I wasn't sure if Bulbapedia would accept the source.

Edit: The full podcast interview is available here for those who want to listen.

Last edited:
Same video suggests he also voiced Magcargo and Magby
Huh? Oh, are you referring to that video I found where it turned out Tom Wayland was the actual voice of Mr. Sukizo (after Craig Blair) and Conway's Shuckle?

Pokémon Learning League is an utterly bizarre and yet interesting piece of history for the franchise and with most of it having been discovered it meands that Brawly has three VA's now - Jason Griffith in the main anime, Bill Rogers for the Learning League as heard here and Jon Allen for the Masters mobile game.

More Learning League related stuff and a rare chance of hearing Kayzie Rogers voicing Pikachu. Kayzie is one of three English VA's that have voiced Ash's Pikachu, the other two being Rachael Lillis for those rare occasions where they weren't able to keep Ikue's voice including the entirety of the episode: The School of Hard Knocks and Kate Bristol who voiced him during that scene, you know the one, in the I Choose You movie.

Listening to this old video of Ted Lewis voicing James, its hard to believe that Team Rocket were at one point considers more serious than goofy

Eric Stuart certainly did a good job as James but Ted Lewis deserves some recognition

Totally. Eric Stuart's (and to a lesser extent Carter Cathcart's) voice for James feels like such a core part of the dub and its identity nowadays, and I really wonder just how much things would be different if Ted Lewis continued voicing him. It definitely feels like he was taking more influence from Shin-ichiro Miki's original performance than the others too.
More Learning League related stuff and a rare chance of hearing Kayzie Rogers voicing Pikachu. Kayzie is one of three English VA's that have voiced Ash's Pikachu, the other two being Rachael Lillis for those rare occasions where they weren't able to keep Ikue's voice including the entirety of the episode: The School of Hard Knocks and Kate Bristol who voiced him during that scene, you know the one, in the I Choose You movie.
Ikue Ohtani has such a distinct voice that any stand-in for Pikachu's voice is going to sound a little off to me, but I feel like Kayzie Rogers' impression here feels a bit more convincing than the others (no offense to Rachael Lillis and Kate Bristol, of course).

I put together a list of all the Pokémon each 4Kids-era cast member has been officially confirmed to have voiced (by the actor themselves or another primary source). I mainly wanted to figure out exactly how many seemingly "confirmed" roles from back then are just fan assumptions and thus have the potential to be wrong. It turns out there's actually a lot still unaccounted for.

Also, yes, a few Pokémon are listed twice; that's not a mistake. It seems like there were quite a few recasts that happened even back then.

Geez that David Lapkin interview is something... By the sounds of it it sounds like he's confusing his 4kids One Piece performance of Mr. 4 with the Funimation version episodes.

I put together a list of all the Pokémon each 4Kids-era cast member has been officially confirmed to have voiced (by the actor themselves or another primary source). I mainly wanted to figure out exactly how many seemingly "confirmed" roles from back then are just fan assumptions and thus have the potential to be wrong. It turns out there's actually a lot still unaccounted for.

Also, yes, a few Pokémon are listed twice; that's not a mistake. It seems like there were quite a few recasts that happened even back then.

Great list! Not perfect, but it’ll have to do.

Capture2.PNG

This old man from DP039 (Steamboat Willies) is claimed to be voiced by Eric Schussler. I believe with all my heart it's actually Rodger Parsons - the voice is a dead-ringer, and Parsons is credited for this episode, where Schussler is not.

Capture3.PNG

View attachment 151589

This old man from DP039 (Steamboat Willies) is claimed to be voiced by Eric Schussler. I believe with all my heart it's actually Rodger Parsons - the voice is a dead-ringer, and Parsons is credited for this episode, where Schussler is not.

View attachment 151590
Yep. It pretty much is Rodger Parsons doing the voice which I always believed in too. The whole Eric Schussler thing was most likely a misattribution.

Been correcting some stuff over on the Dubbing Wiki and here's some of the stuff I've done:

Episode 39 of Advanced has Ted Lewis listed as voicing the Trick Master but it's actually Sean Schemmel who voiced him.

Episode 57 of Diamond and Pearl says that Tom Wayland voiced the woodcutter. I really don't know who thought that but it's clearly James Carter Cathcart using his Professor Oak voice for the role.

Episode 3 of Black and White has Dan Green listed as voicing Dan's Father. It's actually Ted Lewis who voiced him.

For episode 18 of XY, I've noticed that Bill Tost is credited under additional voices. With no one else I can recognise as him in the episode, it's very likely that he voiced Lord Shabboneau.

With episode 62 I've managed to figure out the voices of the three power plant workers: A.C. is Marc Thompson, Jules is Tom Wayland and Jolt is Bill Rogers.

Episode 77 has Wayne Grayson credited as Ornithol. It is actually Mike Pollock who voiced the character (and also went uncredited for his work).

Last edited:
Episode 39 of Advanced has Ted Lewis listed as voicing the Trick Master but it's actually Sean Schemmel who voiced him.
Huh. Surprised that mix-up happened. Both Ted Lewis and Sean Schemmel's voices are pretty recognizable.
Episode 57 of Diamond and Pearl says that Tom Wayland voiced the woodcutter. I really don't know who thought that but it's clearly James Carter Cathcart using his Professor Oak voice for the role.
Yeah, thought so too when I saw that episode. Definitely Cathcart without a doubt.
Episode 3 of Black and White has Dan Green listed as voicing Dan's Father. It's actually Ted Lewis who voiced him.
What...? Even Bulbapedia got that right.
For episode 18 of XY, I've noticed that Bill Tost is credited under additional voices. With no one else I can recognise as him in the episode, it's very likely that he voiced Lord Shabboneau.
I initially thought that too but I realized he could have also been Shabboneau's butler. I'm not intimately familiar with Tost's voice, but typecasting-wise the butler seems closer to his other roles.
With episode 62 I've managed to figure out the voices of the three power plant workers: A.C. is Marc Thompson, Jules is Tom Wayland and Jolt is Bill Rogers.
Thanks for finally cracking them. I was going to ask you at one point but never got around to getting the clips.
Episode 77 has Wayne Grayson credited as Ornithol. While Wayne is in the episode, it is actually Mike Pollock who voiced the character (and also went uncredited for his work).
I knew Ornithol was Pollock, but who did Wayne Grayson voice in the episode then? I assumed he was credited by mistake.

I knew Ornithol was Pollock, but who did Wayne Grayson voice in the episode then? I assumed he was credited by mistake.
I didn't hear Wayne in the episode as any characters so it's most likely a miscredit.

Also another edit's been done for the Advanced series: J. David Brimmer was listed at Professor Proctor in episode 102 but the credits has David Lapkin listed and the Bulbapedia page for the character also lists David as his voice so I've corrected that. It's most likely someone mistook him for voicing the other Proctor character from the Kanto series as Brimmer didn't voice a single character in the Hoenn era.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom