• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN089: Dialga & Palkia! The Space-Time Cataclysm!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't get over Ash with a Pichu, but I noticed Dialga and Palkia had Arceus rings around them. Is this Arceus' anime debut?

Summary and Staff list courtesy of Dephender from Serebii

Satoshi gets a call from Hikari, who tells him Pochama has been abducted. It appears Pokémon have been abducted one after another in the Sinnoh region, so Satoshi, Go and Koharu head to where Hikari is in order to solve the mystery. And she tells them that someone that looked just like her came out of a hole of light and took Pochama with her...?

Screenplay 米村正二 (Shōji Yonemura)
Storyboard 齋藤徳明 (Noriaki Saito)
Episode Director 牧野吉高 (Yoshitaka Makino)
Animation Director 倉員千晶 (Chiaki Kurakazu)
Animation Director 阿見圭之介 (Keinosuke Ami)
Animation Director 稲手遥香 (Haruka Inade)

The Red Chain......

Who is using it this time?

I don't think that they would bring back Akagi.
Imagine if they used this as a callback to when he entered into that portal at the end of the Team Galactic storyline and rather than dying like we all thought, he ended up in this parallel universe. Of course that’s be giving this batch of writers too much credit in connecting those plot points from so long ago.

Let's not shoehorn a Rocket conflict/Rocket conflict setup for the third time in the same saga. It’s about time they moved ahead from Giovanni as the "obligatory conflict tease".
The conflict tease never leads anywhere, though.

Just gonna throw this out here. I think the weird Arceus rings around Dialga and Palkia will be used to semi-set up/foreshadow the inevitable Legends: Arceus promotional 2-parter.

Why do you think so?
I think it's little more than a desperate, uninspired attempt to make us swoon for a terribly dull villain solely because he's in the first generation of Pokémon games. Basically, an exercise in blatant nostalgia shilling with little consideration for good storytelling (they straight up attempt to hype Giovanni up as the source behind an "intent of tremendous evil" when you've literally just witnessed Ghetsis assault and hold Lillie hostage with his bare hands). It would make me very happy if the anime never ever ever ever adapts such a ridiculous story arc.

I think it's little more than a desperate, uninspired attempt to make us swoon for a terribly dull villain solely because he's in the first generation of Pokémon games. Basically, an exercise in blatant nostalgia shilling with little consideration for good storytelling (they straight up attempt to hype Giovanni up as the source behind an "intent of tremendous evil" when you've literally just witnessed Ghetsis assault and hold Lillie hostage with his bare hands). It would make me very happy if the anime never ever ever ever adapts such a ridiculous story arc.
They lost me when Giovanni straight up called his plans “evil schemes”. I have a hard time taking a guy that talks like a saturday morning cartoon villain seriously lmao

Last edited:
This feels very random and a bunch of plot points stuck together
That pretty much describes PM2019's arcs in a nutshell :p

Just gonna throw this out here. I think the weird Arceus rings around Dialga and Palkia will be used to semi-set up/foreshadow the inevitable Legends: Arceus promotional 2-parter.

Pokemon: Isaki edition! ;)

Courtesy of Dephender at Serebii

The cool beauty of the Sinnoh region finally returns! But even as you enjoy seeing her as a serious researcher, she's still a complete nut for sweets!

SHIRONA (Voice: Tomo Sakurai): The Champion of the Sinnoh region and one of the Pokémon World Championships' Masters Eight. She's also an archeologist and travels around the entire world.
GABLIAS: (Voice: Shogo Sakata): Shirona's Partner Pokémon. Ground/Dragon type. Known for its swift movements and can shoot across both land and sky faster than the eye can see.

REUNITING WITH THE BEAUTIFUL ANGEL THAT IS THE SINNOH REGION CHAMPION IS THE GREATEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT OF ALL!

Corni and Saito appeared in the story about Satoshi and Lucario's Mega Evolution. And now, one of the top 8 in the Pokémon World Championships, Shirona from the Masters Eight, makes her debut! She's an archeologist as well, so she's also going to give Satoshi and Go advice when it comes to Pokémon research. Her dignified demeanor in battle, her serious expressions during study and her cute smile when faced with sweets are all wonderful, and the disrepancy between them is absolutely angelic!!
Let's look back at some key moments featuring various Trainers and their Pokémon as we wait for the Sinnoh region Winter specials:

IT'S CHRISTMAS, SO TELL US WHY YOUR ANGELS ARE THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD!
A TRAINER & POKÉMON "ANGELS" INTERVIEW WITH EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR DAIKI TOMIYASU!

HERE'S WHAT MAKES SHIRONA AN ANGEL:

EVEN HER ECCENTRIC SIDE IS CUTE AND JUST TOO ANGELIC!
The truth is that Shirona really loves ice cream, and in earlier series she'd be standing in front of the store for an eternity, pondering what to order. The scene in episode 83, "The Py That Became a Star", where Shirona brings donuts was actually going to have a bit where she sits there for an eternity pondering which donut to eat in it as a callback to this, but it had to be cut for time (laughs). She's the Pokémon League Champion of the Sinnoh region, yet she's still a bit eccentric, and I think that's what makes her so cute. I hope we'll be able to depict that side of her eventually.

HERE'S WHAT MAKES GABLIAS AN ANGEL:
LOOK AT THE STERN GABLIAS' HANDS!
Gablias has tiny cute hands, doesn't it? It has such a stern expression, yet its hands are these teensy little things. They're sort of like Tyrannosaurus-y forelimbs, I think they're kinda nice and cute.

HERE'S WHAT MAKES SATOSHI AN ANGEL:
HE ACTS EVEN WIHOUT PERSONAL STAKES! SATOSHI'S PURITY
Satoshi is really pure, especially when it comes to Pokémon. One episode that really made me go "Wow, he sure is giving it his all" was episode 10, "The Kairyu Paradise and the Hakuryu Trial!", where he put his life on the line for Hakuryu's sake by participating in its training. His purity and dedication really stood out here. What's so nice about Satoshi is that he's willing to do thing without any personal stake in the matter. Later in that episode, he also just abruptly proclaimed that the reason Hakuyu grow hands when they evolve into Kairyu is so that they can help others; He's normally pretty bad with words, so it was nice to see to him say something that inspired.

HERE'S WHAT MAKES GO AN ANGEL:
GO ACTING LIKE A DOTING PARENT IS JUST TOO ANGELIC
Go is extremely affectionate with his Pokémon. A very good example of this is episode 69, "I'd Like To Keep An Eye On Their First Errand!", which starts with a scene where he and Koharu are acting like doting parents arguing over whose children are the cutest. It's so nice to see Go be this enchanted by Sarunori nowadays when you think about the stern refusal to get anything but Mew that he used to have. You could say that the way he gets influenced by how cute his Pokémon are is pretty realistic; Maybe everyone would act that way if they became Trainers.

HERE'S WHAT MAKES SARUNORI AN ANGEL:
TOUCHING OUR HEARTS WITH AN ERRAND
Sarunori is naughty and mischievous, but it still properly took on the errand in episode 69 as "its mission" in its own way. And even though it's still small and unable to handle the job all that well, it earnestly tried it absolute best to make it back to Go. It may be cliched, but I find this type of stuff really really touching.

A KEY MOMENT WHERE PIKACHU WAS A LITERAL ANGEL:
IT'S LOVELY EVEN WHEN IT ACTS DIFFERENTLY!
Pikachu is as cute as an angel in general (laughs), but I especially like episode 30, "The Reluctant Pikachu and the Exasperated Barrierd", where we saw a very different kind of cuteness. The very Pikachu that's always been by Satoshi's side showed jealousy, sulked, and got calmed down by Barrierd. All the unusual expressions it made were really cute, so I really like this episode. And when I heard it say "Pikapi (Satoshi)" for the first time in quite a while, I truly felt deep in my heart that "Man, Pikachu is so cute".

A KEY MOMENT WHERE KOHARU WAS A LITERAL ANGEL:
AN ANGELIC FIRST SOLO JOURNEY
I found the Special Summer Arc (episode 74, "Darkrai's Midsummer Night's Dream", and episode 75, "Cresselia's Midsummer Night's Light") to be quite nice and fresh. Koharu got angry that the family vacation had been ruined and stormed out of the house, but had a real look of apprehension to her while traveling alone. The freshness of traveling on your own for the first time and the events that led up to it was palpable, and the episodes felt like they were packed to the brim with new and unexpected sides of Koharu, alongside her loveliness.

HERE'S WHAT MAKES EIEVUI AN ANGEL:
GOD IS PRESENT IN SMALL GESTURES
Eievui doesn't have to do anything in particular to be cute, but I really like the little play acts it put on - it takes after Wanpachi with all these little everyday scenes that have nothing to do with the plot. There's lots of these short casual scenes where we see it messing around in the background, so be on the lookout for them.

A KEY MOMENT WHERE ANOTHER CHARACTER WAS A LITERAL ANGEL:
IRIS IS NOT AN ANGEL, SHE'S A CELESTIAL MAIDEN!
Iris from episode 65, "Dragon Battle! Satoshi VS Iris!!", is lovely as well. Since she's become Champion and switched clothes, she stands out from all the other returning past series characters as the one who's changed the most. The art in the episode was great, and even though Iris kept moving around and changing expressions all the time, she got to show some mature ones as well.

A CHRISTMAS Q&A WITH EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR TOMIYASU:

Q: IF THE GROUP WENT TO A CHRISTMAS GIFT EXCHANGE, WHAT KINDS OF GIFTS WOULD THEY BRING?

Satoshi: Satoshi will obviously think in terms of Pokémon first, so he'd probably go with Pokémon Food or some kind of treat Pokémon like. I feel like he wouldn't be picking out something for Go and Koharu, but rather something he'd like to give Go's Pokémon.
Go: One episode had a scene where he gave his parents some gloves, so I get the impression he can be very attentive. As such, he's probably going to take this very seriously and end up going with a scarf or something like that. However, you might say that precisely BECAUSE he's so attentive, he'll tend to waste way too much time picking out something he'll feel comfortable with giving away (laughs).
Koharu: She's a bookworm that loves fiction, so she'd probably go with a novel or book she likes and would want the others to try.
Shirona: She'd drag the kids along to buy some treats she herself enjoys, wouldn't she? I feel like that would really liven up the party; Everyone would have fun and she'd get to eat something good herself too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom