• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dub Voice Actor Guesses/Discussion (older seasons)

Also another edit's been done for the Advanced series: J. David Brimmer was listed at Professor Proctor in episode 102 but the credits has David Lapkin listed and the Bulbapedia page for the character also lists David as his voice so I've corrected that. It's most likely someone mistook him for voicing the other Proctor character from the Kanto series as Brimmer didn't voice a single character in the Hoenn era.
Yeah, unfortunately Lapkin's non-Lucian Pokémon roles seem to have gone mostly ignored over the years. To be fair, he did go under an alias for his earlier DP roles, but for that AG episode his name was right there in the credits and Brimmer's was not; plus it sounds nothing like Brimmer. I can buy it being a simple mixup with the other Proctor, but I have no idea how it went unnoticed for so long.

Also, what are your thoughts on Bill Tost possibly having voiced Shabboneau's butler in XY018 rather than Shabboneau himself?

Yeah, unfortunately Lapkin's non-Lucian Pokémon roles seem to have gone mostly ignored over the years. To be fair, he did go under an alias for his earlier DP roles, but for that AG episode his name was right there in the credits and Brimmer's was not; plus it sounds nothing like Brimmer. I can buy it being a simple mixup with the other Proctor, but I have no idea how it went unnoticed for so long.

Also, what are your thoughts on Bill Tost possibly having voiced Shabboneau's butler in XY018 rather than Shabboneau himself?
I have not checked the episode yet to see if he voices the butler rather than Shabboneau.

I have not checked the episode yet to see if he voices the butler rather than Shabboneau.
Oh, okay. Personally I almost always watch (or rewatch) the entire episode when determining who voices certain characters. Even if the credits often make it seemingly obvious, there's occasionally a minor character that gets overlooked, or they turn out to be an uncredited VA or main cast member's VA that's easily recognizable by ear.

And for the record, I don't think the opposite approach (playing entirely by ear without checking the credits) is a good idea either. You need to take both into account with this sort of thing.

There’s a mysterious name in the credits of the earlier seasons: “Cassan Treegill”. I have never seen this person credited anywhere else, so I’m wondering if it’s somebody’s pseudonym.

There’s a mysterious name in the credits of the earlier seasons: “Cassan Treegill”. I have never seen this person credited anywhere else, so I’m wondering if it’s somebody’s pseudonym.
The IMDB page does have Cassan also listed for voicing Misayo in the OVA Sins of the Sisters but I'm not too sure either.

I was actually wondering about this myself, but a quick search didn't net me any real leads.
The IMDB page does have Cassan also listed for voicing Misayo in the OVA Sins of the Sisters but I'm not too sure either.
Yeah, this was the one thing I found. That IMDB page calls Cassan Treegill an "actress" and the "Misayo" character they're credited for voicing was voiced by a woman in Japanese, so that likely narrows things down in terms of gender, at least.

Anyway, I looked up the OVA in question, and from what I could find about it, it's very graphic and definitely not safe for work, to say the least. It makes sense that the VA used a pseudonym for this particular work, although it's strange that they seemingly reused it for Pokémon of all things. Anyway, if anyone wants to take the plunge and watch that OVA to hear what "Misayo" sounds like, please do. Personally, that kind of content isn't really my cup of tea and I'm not going to sit through it to figure out who a single VA from Pokémon is.

Another mystery name is "Jayne Grand". Internet consensus links them to Prima (Lorelei), but there isn't any real evidence I know of for that besides process of elimination (and even that's questionable when you take Cassan Treegill's presence into account). Some sites also claim it's a pseudonym for Jessica Calvello (who voiced Kay in Stage Fight but wasn't credited) but if that's the case, the Prima info is wrong because Calvello said she didn't voice that character. It's also worth noting that Treegill was only credited in season two as far as I'm aware while Grand was credited from season two all the way up to season six.

I was actually wondering about this myself, but a quick search didn't net me any real leads.

Yeah, this was the one thing I found. That IMDB page calls Cassan Treegill an "actress" and the "Misayo" character they're credited for voicing was voiced by a woman in Japanese, so that likely narrows things down in terms of gender, at least.

Anyway, I looked up the OVA in question, and from what I could find about it, it's very graphic and definitely not safe for work, to say the least. It makes sense that the VA used a pseudonym for this particular work, although it's strange that they seemingly reused it for Pokémon of all things. Anyway, if anyone wants to take the plunge and watch that OVA to hear what "Misayo" sounds like, please do. Personally, that kind of content isn't really my cup of tea and I'm not going to sit through it to figure out who a single VA from Pokémon is.

Another mystery name is "Jayne Grand". Internet consensus links them to Prima (Lorelei), but there isn't any real evidence I know of for that besides process of elimination (and even that's questionable when you take Cassan Treegill's presence into account). Some sites also claim it's a pseudonym for Jessica Calvello (who voiced Kay in Stage Fight but wasn't credited) but if that's the case, the Prima info is wrong because Calvello said she didn't voice that character. It's also worth noting that Treegill was only credited in season two as far as I'm aware while Grand was credited from season two all the way up to season six.
Jayne Grand probably isn’t Jessica Calvello, as she wasn’t working in New York yet.

Continuing on with the Gym leader videos, this week's Pokémon Voice Actor Highlight video puts the spotlight on Sinnoh's gym leaders featuring the likes of Dan Green, J. David Brimmer, Erica Schroeder and Rachael Lillis.

The other two parts as well:

Whatever happened to Lara Starr Rigores anyway? It seems like Gardenia was her only voice acting role at all, let alone in Pokémon. Though she's apparently done some on-camera stuff since then.

Whatever happened to Lara Starr Rigores anyway? It seems like Gardenia was her only voice acting role at all, let alone in Pokémon. Though she's apparently done some on-camera stuff since then.
She's still active on Twitter but from what I've seen her IMDB page only goes up to 2019 in terms of stuff she's been in.

It can honestly be said for a lot of the TAJ actors in the early TPCI/PUSA era where most of the VA's mostly either did one or two roles and haven't been heard in the voiceover industry since. The only ones that are still active nowadays outside of the main cast are Bill Timoney, Sean Kenin, Annie Silver (who's been in some Netflix live action dubs that IDC/International Digital Centre have done), Julian Rebolledo, Shannon Conley and Rena Strober (who moved to LA).

She's still active on Twitter but from what I've seen her IMDB page only goes up to 2019 in terms of stuff she's been in.

It can honestly be said for a lot of the TAJ actors in the early TPCI/PUSA era where most of the VA's mostly either did one or two roles and haven't been heard in the voiceover industry since. The only ones that are still active nowadays outside of the main cast are Bill Timoney, Sean Kenin, Annie Silver (who's been in some Netflix live action dubs that IDC/International Digital Centre have done), Julian Rebolledo, Shannon Conley and Rena Strober (who moved to LA).
I do like how PUSA-era TAJ gave the spotlight to quite a bit of New York's lesser-used talent. Even though it was mostly to get around 4Kids' NDAs and the actual direction was rather... spotty.

With Episode 82 of Diamond and Pearl, a lot of websites have James Carter Cathcart credited for voicing Carny.

I've got a feeling it's actually Marc Thompson who voices him since it's pretty much the same voice he uses for Tenzen Yanagi from Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's.

With Episode 82 of Diamond and Pearl, a lot of websites have James Carter Cathcart credited for voicing Carny.

I've got a feeling it's actually Marc Thompson who voices him since it's pretty much the same voice he uses for Tenzen Yanagi from Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's.
I guess people assumed that since Cathcart voices Carnivine, he must have also voiced the human based on Carnivine, even though they don't share the same VA in Japanese.

Speaking of that episode, some sites say Annika Werenko (Tim Werenko's daughter) is credited for voicing Chrissy the Croagunk. While Chrissy sounds different from the other Croagunk, it definitely doesn't sound like a female VA to me, especially considering Annika was likely still a child at the time. I'm guessing she just did background/crowd voices in that episode.

Back
Top Bottom