• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The worst Pokemon types to be used defensevely

• Thread starter Deleted member 133294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133294

I think that the worst types to be used as defense are:

- Ice: They are not only rare in the wild but only resist itself andis weak to fouruseful types which are fire fighting, rock and steel. Even the Bulbapedia Wiki agree with me;

- Rock is one of the worst defensive types despite having high defense and they are generally quite slow. Weak to grass, water, fighting, steel and ground all of which are very used offensevely excepto steel and the ground/rock combination is even more risky;

- Grass is quite problematic defensevely as it is weak to 5 types line rock but grass is better than rock because it resists its own type and it also resists electric attacks which is an useful advantage. I always easily defeated all grass GYM leaders. Even if I did not planned at least three of all my six pokemon in the team had advantage against the grass type. Evento Bug is better than the grass type;

- Ground: It is a bit risky to use tge ground type as defense but not as risky as Ice and Rock or Grass but since ice, water and grass attacks are commonly used theground type nerd to be added to this list;

- Bug: Sadly onde of my favourite types is onde of the worst defensive types. Many insects pokemon are paired with flying which make them have 5 weakness and these pokemon usually have low defense. A pure Bug Pokemon is only weak to fire, rock and flying but they are a minority. And bug pokemon with high defense line Pinsir is rare as well. Moreover many fully evolved bug Pokemon have a total stat of around 400 which is low. This is reflected in real life insects are small animels they are defenseless if they do not have poison and they are fragile and can be killed with a stomp or a slap.

I think I agree with almost all of that - it's quite funny that Rock in particularly has long been touted as some kind of defensive bulwark given the Normal resistance, but it's just horribly weak to so many good moves, especially on the Special side.

I might have a slightly different opinion on Grass. Sure, it's weak to some very good offensive types but it also resists a couple as well; Earthquake and Scald have historically been highly-spammable moves and safe switch-ins for the latter are often in pretty short supply. A handful also have the advantage of being part-Poison, which renders them immune to Toxic and prevents them from being worn down. Throw in more healing moves than any other type - Giga Drain, Synthesis, Leech Seed, Jungle Healing, Aromatherapy - and you can get some pretty tanky 'Mons. Ferrothorn's been pretty incredible for as long as it's been around.

Ice. It's the only type that still isn't defensively good when combined with Steel! (Well I guess Steel/Rock isn't that much better but you get my point) Bug and Grass have important defensive niches but Ice really has nothing. Rock is probably the second worst, but it does provide important resistances to Fire and Flying.

Ice. It's the only type that still isn't defensively good when combined with Steel! (Well I guess Steel/Rock isn't that much better but you get my point) Bug and Grass have important defensive niches but Ice really has nothing. Rock is probably the second worst, but it does provide important resistances to Fire and Flying.
At least Rock can be a pretty solid typing when you pair it with things like Bug type (ironically another weak defensive type)

Ice literally has NO combination where it can be considered "Good" defensively to any degree

Ice, Ice, Ice. Literally no resists other than itself, and it has weaknesses out the wazoo. It's a fantastic offensive type! ... And yet Game Freak keeps making Ice-types slow, defensive mons. yes i'm still bitter about frosmoth's speed why do you ask

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom