• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Concept: NPC Trainer Dialogue

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
  2. They/Them
If you've ever walked down a route in a Pokémon, you've probably run into a few trainers. Some of them had memorable, quirky, interesting, or bizarre dialogue. Sometimes you need their dialogue when writing fanfiction
So I've got a bit of a proposal: cataloguing the dialogue of these trainers. I've already begun this daunting task with Brilliant Diamond.
If this isn't a good idea, please tell me. If it is a good idea and there would be a place to put this information, please tell me.

It sounds like a fun project. I think folks have data mined games for information and whatnot without having to play through content (or inaccessible content) in order to save time, but there's always something fulfilling about finishing a big project through effort and determination.

• Staff
It sounds like a fun project. I think folks have data mined games for information and whatnot without having to play through content (or inaccessible content) in order to save time, but there's always something fulfilling about finishing a big project through effort and determination.
Datamining is literally a lifesaver. I don't know how to do it, but oh my goodness I want to do it so I can get the dialogue.

If you've ever walked down a route in a Pokémon, you've probably run into a few trainers. Some of them had memorable, quirky, interesting, or bizarre dialogue. Sometimes you need their dialogue when writing fanfiction
So I've got a bit of a proposal: cataloguing the dialogue of these trainers. I've already begun this daunting task with Brilliant Diamond.
If this isn't a good idea, please tell me. If it is a good idea and there would be a place to put this information, please tell me.
I think this could be interesting if we could get our hands on the dialogue for languages other than English, since we can then compare translations to find differences in character lore between the different versions.

But I know that a lot of trainer wiki pages already have dialogue collected, (Brock for reference) so I think something like this has already been implemented to some extent, at least for major characters. Generic trainers have less dialogue catalogued though.

• Staff
But I know that a lot of trainer wiki pages already have dialogue collected, (Brock for reference) so I think something like this has already been implemented to some extent, at least for major characters. Generic trainers have less dialogue catalogued though.
That's kind of what I was going for (I just don't know how best to differentiate generic trainers from more major ones).

Also yes, dialogue for other languages would be really cool, too. I know some Spanish, so I could do a playthrough of Sword/Shield/Let's Go Eevee/Brilliant Diamond in Spanish to get dialogue.

If I knew how to datamine, I would definitely datamine.

• Staff
My main source of looking for dialogue has been Let's Plays and playing the games myself. I might rely on LPs for encounters/defeats and use my playthroughs for after battle dialogue. Relying on the latter alone is exhausting.

• Staff
So it appears there is some interest in this project, and the @NMLewis sent me some datamine files for XY, ORAS, and SM. As ORAS is my favorite Pokémon game of all time, I decided to start with that one:
Do keep in mind that this document is not finished yet (and very messy lol, I copy and paste the dialogue from a separate Doc), so if you see that I've made a mistake, don't hesitate to tell me!

These Team Magma/Aqua grunts are the bane of my existence...

this isn't Exactly the same, but i've honestly been thinking that whatever npc mentions castform being artificial, a screenshot of them should be added to castform's page. so if you ever get to.. whoever that is, apparently they're in the weather institute, i'd say keep them in mind.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom