• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Wishlist Thread - What Would You Like to See in Future Games?

Walks in, grabs the first person they come across and whispers softly "The return of Megas".

All jokes aside, I most certainly like stuff like height and weight differences across species. You can't make me believe every species you meet is the exact same height and weight. I would also quite like 'cosmetic' changes to Pokémon, like how Pokémon with stripes could for example miss a certain striping pattern or have an inverted color pattern. (Now this is something that won't happen purely because of the sheer amount of Pokémon existing nowadays and making 1 to 3 variations of them would just be too much, I guess.)

Better customization for the male character. SwSh was a step in the good direction and I quite liked XY's one too despite being quite short of options but then BDSP took a big step back for the male character again. Men can also be into fashion and actually look good, for crying out loud.

A 'trainer relationship' function would be cool too, where certain responses have a reaction. A certain answer gives +5 friendship while others do -2 and that affects stuff like the dialogue, the teams they face you with or even giving you items. YOu could even go so far as the rival refusing to come to your help when you're in time of need. Now with this too, I realize this is more something for a visual novel I guess, but I like it when characters are actual characters/people and it would be cool to see that reflected.

I think we're also long overdue an item that allows you to bypass trade evolutions. And if we're not, at least put the final stages of those lines in the games as available to catch in the wild.
Hell yes on the Megas. Also the trade evos. And the other stuff, even (though I don't play as a male, I support guys looking fabulous!)

But in regards to the cosmetic changes, I think there's proof enough that we could at least get something like markings added if you consider Spinda's whole thing is literally like 4 billion different patterns of spots. If that's doable, then adding something just as simple could theoretically be doable for every pokemon... although that would be stealing Spinda's gimmick (oh wow, what a shame) and I don't know how people would feel if everything had a chance of having some random spots on it. Stripes and other more carefully tailored markings would be nicer, but I think spots would have the easiest application without looking horrendous more often than not.

Clone Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise markings, though- GO has them, so can we at least get those added to a game? I know, "another Charizard form" and "ugh Pikachu and the Gen 1 starters again" but hey, the work's already been done for them.

Hell yes on the Megas. Also the trade evos. And the other stuff, even (though I don't play as a male, I support guys looking fabulous!)

But in regards to the cosmetic changes, I think there's proof enough that we could at least get something like markings added if you consider Spinda's whole thing is literally like 4 billion different patterns of spots. If that's doable, then adding something just as simple could theoretically be doable for every pokemon... although that would be stealing Spinda's gimmick (oh wow, what a shame) and I don't know how people would feel if everything had a chance of having some random spots on it. Stripes and other more carefully tailored markings would be nicer, but I think spots would have the easiest application without looking horrendous more often than not.

Clone Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise markings, though- GO has them, so can we at least get those added to a game? I know, "another Charizard form" and "ugh Pikachu and the Gen 1 starters again" but hey, the work's already been done for them.

As far as the cosmetics go, I think you can tackle it a bit easier. If you had just some mode where there's a set number of 'parts' much like how there are character creators on the internet and from there you can apply and resize them. Stuff like an eyescar and you can then place it over an eye and size it up ro size it down. Or use an 'eraser' to erase a specific stripe. I feel that would be an easier path of giving freedom than just going "Here's a set of set in stone differences even if you don't like them."

As far as thec lones go, I agree. I've been wanting Charizardtwo for ages so seeing Pokémon GO of all things walk away with it first is just depressing. At the same time, the chance is plausible it would have ended up as the SPiky-Eared Pichu.

As far as the cosmetics go, I think you can tackle it a bit easier. If you had just some mode where there's a set number of 'parts' much like how there are character creators on the internet and from there you can apply and resize them. Stuff like an eyescar and you can then place it over an eye and size it up ro size it down. Or use an 'eraser' to erase a specific stripe. I feel that would be an easier path of giving freedom than just going "Here's a set of set in stone differences even if you don't like them."

As far as thec lones go, I agree. I've been wanting Charizardtwo for ages so seeing Pokémon GO of all things walk away with it first is just depressing. At the same time, the chance is plausible it would have ended up as the SPiky-Eared Pichu.
D= Oh man, Spiky-Eared Pichu is another one they've got to bring back... and that was a Gen 4 form, to boot. I wonder if they'll revive that event in BDSP as part of this whole faithful nostalgia thing, or ignore it since it was for HGSS. Would be nice if they'd toss it in Legends.

I should hope that we won't be leaving any more forms behind after Cosplay Pikachu, though. Both Ash Greninja and Dusk Lycanroc can be added to Home, and Dusk Lycanroc is useable in Sword and Shield, so we're doing good so far. Well, unless you count Partner Pikachu and Eevee, but I think those two were an exceptionally special case in that I think Let's Go would implode if they left. And even then, all we really lost was the heart pattern on female Eevee's tail. Which they should really add to all female Eevee anyway.

And even then, all we really lost was the heart pattern on female Eevee's tail. Which they should really add to all female Eevee anyway.
My understanding was that they did add it to Sword/Shield, it's just harder to tell on the non-partner Eevee's model.

I'm all for subtle cosmetic changes for individual mons as well. The first time we got something like this was actually in the Stadium games, where a trainer's ID number and a Pokemon's nickname enabled their color to change. Of course, there were only 151/251 Pokemon back then, but it was still a really nice touch :)

Something else that came to me. While I don't expect/desire for it to be as deep as some other games have it, it would be nice if moves came with more special 'traits'. A move like Spacial Rend, especially when used by Palkia, should not be resisted by a Fairy considering it toys with the space continuum. In a similar manner, the recharge on Roar of Time is definitely unneeded considering Dialga's power is likely so high it can keep firing it whenever.

Now, I know Sketch exists (Or stuff like the event Darkrai) but something like the description of the move and then something like "If used by Palkia, this move cannot be resisted" or whatever would be cool.

I feel there is a lot that can be done with a lot of moves but they only seem to be willing to do it with special moves. (Like Zygarde's Ground moves hitting Flying-types, for example.)

More ways to interact with my pokemon. Or at the very least letting me pet and feed them like in Amie, take care of them like Refresh, and play with them in different ways like Camping. ANd have the interaction be more than press A and get random comment, shake feather stick at, and 200 different orbs to toss at them that are basically just the same object. Bonus points if I can stick a decoration on them. Like nothing that would take a lot of work to put on many different pokemon. I'm talking like ribbons, charms, and things like that that the designers could just slap on the model. I want to give a Snubbull a great big green bow. Or a little seashell clip on a wartortle. I will not rest until I basically have Petz in pokemon. Y'all won't give me another Hey You Pikachu type game, TPC. I gotta work with what I've got.

Also more activities like contests and the pokeathlon. I like the idea of raising a pokemon for more than just battling.

I want clothing style options as unique as they were in X and Y.

MORE SECRET BASES. Or at the VERY LEAST the ability to decorate my room with stuff.

A carnival or an arcade like location to replace the game corners. No matter how well you do on the games you play you'd win tickets to trade in for prizes. Plus with how earning money is so much easier in the games nowadays you wouldn't even really have to buy tokens or anything. Just make games cost like 25 or 50 pokedollars or whatever. Prizes could be anything from apricorn balls to unique themed clothing or other things like that. Decorations for secret bases/my room too~

Now that we're getting more into large open world area like locations... reward us for exploration. LET us have exploration. I am still mad from when I found out that that cool tower ruin in the Wild Area is literally just there for some stupid dynamax battle if you bought the pack that had both sword and shield in it or whatever. Early cave with paths you can't access from the start due to rocks/water in the way. Not needing to come back for plot reasons so it could be forgotten but if you remember you can go find like unique items or events or things like that. Probably rarer crafting materials since everyone and their grandma is adding crafting to videogames now. Not that I mind I love grinding for dumb things so material collecting's great to me.

I'd also like the world to interact with itself more. Not sure what to call it exactly. Like... I wish npcs could change dialog for where you are in the game. The world could be in a crisis and I'd rather not go back to my home town and mom greet me like I just left the house for the first time, or for that fat guy to talk about how amazing technology is. So many RPGs do this.

Finally: Stop frekin putting time limits on code giveaways for pokemon. This is the dumbest, most shady crap ever. I just realized that the shiny Zacian code I got last month has expired WHY WOULD A CODE EXPIRE. It's already bad enough the codes are one time use only and you waste so much damn paper just printing off all these different codes. I don't care if they might get shared online otherwise YOU ARE GIVING THE CODES OUT FOR FREE WHAT IS THE POINT OF GOING OUT OF YOUR WAY TO MAKE SURE ANYONE WHO LEARNS ABOUT THESE EVENTS LATER DOES NOT GET ACESS TO THEM? And is it REALLY going to hurt your bottom line if someone who buys the game right now could go and get the special Meowth you released when the games just came out? That you released for free? I am so tired of this 'BUY GAEM NAO FOR LIMITED TIME ACCESS TO GETTING POKERMANS AND ALSO MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS BE PLAYIN POKERMANS SO YOU DON'T MISS OTHERS.' Some people like playing a game more than once so the moment we have to restart since you ONLY GIVE US ONE SAVE FILE we're gonna lose those pokemon forever anyway. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. Go sit on a rusty cactus, gamefreak. I'm going back to bed.

More ways to interact with my pokemon. Or at the very least letting me pet and feed them like in Amie, take care of them like Refresh, and play with them in different ways like Camping. ANd have the interaction be more than press A and get random comment, shake feather stick at, and 200 different orbs to toss at them that are basically just the same object. Bonus points if I can stick a decoration on them. Like nothing that would take a lot of work to put on many different pokemon. I'm talking like ribbons, charms, and things like that that the designers could just slap on the model. I want to give a Snubbull a great big green bow. Or a little seashell clip on a wartortle. I will not rest until I basically have Petz in pokemon. Y'all won't give me another Hey You Pikachu type game, TPC. I gotta work with what I've got.

Also more activities like contests and the pokeathlon. I like the idea of raising a pokemon for more than just battling.

I want clothing style options as unique as they were in X and Y.

MORE SECRET BASES. Or at the VERY LEAST the ability to decorate my room with stuff.

A carnival or an arcade like location to replace the game corners. No matter how well you do on the games you play you'd win tickets to trade in for prizes. Plus with how earning money is so much easier in the games nowadays you wouldn't even really have to buy tokens or anything. Just make games cost like 25 or 50 pokedollars or whatever. Prizes could be anything from apricorn balls to unique themed clothing or other things like that. Decorations for secret bases/my room too~

Now that we're getting more into large open world area like locations... reward us for exploration. LET us have exploration. I am still mad from when I found out that that cool tower ruin in the Wild Area is literally just there for some stupid dynamax battle if you bought the pack that had both sword and shield in it or whatever. Early cave with paths you can't access from the start due to rocks/water in the way. Not needing to come back for plot reasons so it could be forgotten but if you remember you can go find like unique items or events or things like that. Probably rarer crafting materials since everyone and their grandma is adding crafting to videogames now. Not that I mind I love grinding for dumb things so material collecting's great to me.

I'd also like the world to interact with itself more. Not sure what to call it exactly. Like... I wish npcs could change dialog for where you are in the game. The world could be in a crisis and I'd rather not go back to my home town and mom greet me like I just left the house for the first time, or for that fat guy to talk about how amazing technology is. So many RPGs do this.

Finally: Stop frekin putting time limits on code giveaways for pokemon. This is the dumbest, most shady crap ever. I just realized that the shiny Zacian code I got last month has expired WHY WOULD A CODE EXPIRE. It's already bad enough the codes are one time use only and you waste so much damn paper just printing off all these different codes. I don't care if they might get shared online otherwise YOU ARE GIVING THE CODES OUT FOR FREE WHAT IS THE POINT OF GOING OUT OF YOUR WAY TO MAKE SURE ANYONE WHO LEARNS ABOUT THESE EVENTS LATER DOES NOT GET ACESS TO THEM? And is it REALLY going to hurt your bottom line if someone who buys the game right now could go and get the special Meowth you released when the games just came out? That you released for free? I am so tired of this 'BUY GAEM NAO FOR LIMITED TIME ACCESS TO GETTING POKERMANS AND ALSO MAKE SURE TO ALWAYS BE PLAYIN POKERMANS SO YOU DON'T MISS OTHERS.' Some people like playing a game more than once so the moment we have to restart since you ONLY GIVE US ONE SAVE FILE we're gonna lose those pokemon forever anyway. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. Go sit on a rusty cactus, gamefreak. I'm going back to bed.

XD Loving a lot of this and got a giggle out of "rusty cactus."

But yeah, honestly agreeing with all of that. Though with the codes, it might be a tech thing, like whatever server handles the transfers is only in operation for a limited amount of time before it's taken offline or used for something else. Would be interesting if they ever explained how that works exactly.

This is what Pokémon Home should be, or at least let it connect to an external free app that allows you to do all of that stuff. Maybe I'd actually bother with Home then!

This is what Pokémon Home should be, or at least let it connect to an external free app that allows you to do all of that stuff. Maybe I'd actually bother with Home then!
An external app that lets you interact with your pokemon and maybe gives you rewards for playing with them that you could transfer back to your main games would be great.

I feel like Home or some other app should also have a battle feature... because I get that they want to focus on new mechanics in the games and some things don't belong in every region but shouldn't there be at least one place where you can use everything? Megas vs. Gmax?

I don't have stuff on my phone so apps aren't great for me. I want in game interaction with my babiesssss
Apps don't have to be just for phones, though. Home, Quest, Unite, and Cafe Remix are all on both mobile and Switch. Most likely any game that would have you interact with your pokemon transferred from Home or any main series game would follow suit. Which could be cool if you were able to use your phone because then you could play with their pokemon while out and about. Waiting at the doctor's office? Plenty of time to pet and play fetch with your vulpix.

If they ever return to Unova, I would not want to see remakes. BW and B2W2 are already great games. Just make Challenge/Easy mode available from the start, maybe improve on QoL for competitive, and that's it. Otherwise, a port would be enough for me.

I'd be open to either of the following:
1. A prequel Legends: Kyurem (or Original Dragon)
2. A third installment (or "threequel") B3W3

Oh also, I want to see the main games adapt Shadow Pokemon again. It's great that Go brought them back but the Shadow Pokemon mechanic deserves better than to be banished to mobile. Maybe even bring snagging back along with it, it was fun getting to break the "no catching other people's Pokemon" rule for once.

Oh also, I want to see the main games adapt Shadow Pokemon again. It's great that Go brought them back but the Shadow Pokemon mechanic deserves better than to be banished to mobile. Maybe even bring snagging back along with it, it was fun getting to break the "no catching other people's Pokemon" rule for once.

I'd like to see more shadow pokemon designed like Shadow Lugia, too, and have Shadow Lugia added to the main games. Especially since they have James Turner on staff? Honestly the only design of his I've ever loved was Shadow Lugia- if he's gonna be art director for games, let him lead a shadow pokemon revival and bring back his first gem of a design.

Also already mentioned it in the first post but purified forms- it is so tempting to not purify shadow pokemon because they look different from their regular counterparts. Purified pokemon should really be made to look equally as interesting so it doesn't feel like such a shame to heal your badass shadow children.

So I was playing Genshin Impact and that game actually has a good way to handle EXP/leveling in an open world. The game has multiple different EXP systems. There's traditional level up for characters, but also level ups for weapons, level ups for moves (called Talents in that game, this might be worth exploring too, but that might be too OP depending on how it's handled), level up for Artifacts (held items that give you stat increases), level up for companionship (that game's equivalent of friendship). But more importantly, there's Adventure EXP. As you complete storyline missions and sidequests in the game, you gain Adventure EXP and level up your Adventure Rank. Your Adventure Rank does a couple of things for you, some of the storyline missions and sidequests are locked until you reach a particular Adventure Rank. But more importantly, at certain Adventure Ranks your World Level will increase, which increases the level of all of the enemies and bosses in the game.

Now the basics of how the World Level system works isn't terribly different from what Pokemon does already. In SwSh the wild Pokemon and trainers already scale based on how many badges you have. But what the World Level system in Genshin does different is that at World Level 5, you can choose to raise or lower your World Level every 24 hours. It's a bit limited in that you can only lower it by 1, you can only raise it back up to its original level if you already lowered it the day before (if you're wondering what that means if you want to train a new character from scratch, they will have trouble against the enemies, but defeating enemies isn't the most effective way to level up characters anyway, the most effective way is to use the game's equivalent of EXP Candy), but there is a bit more of a dynamic enemy leveling system than Pokemon.

As for how to translate this to Pokemon, I don't think there's much need for an Adventure Rank because the gyms are a clear marker of progress that Genshin generally doesn't have, so they could just automatically raise the World Level after you beat each gym. However, if you need to train a lower level Pokemon, they should either let you adjust it yourself or automatically adjust based on the Pokemon you have in your party.

Lots of things:

1. More new Pokemon (by that I mean 100-150, not a piddly 60-70 every new generation, including alternate forms)
2. More regional variants
3. Bringing back Mega Evolution
4. A story on the level of Pokemon Black/White and Sun/Moon (Original, not USUM)
5. Every Pokemon included and catchable, no leaving out Pokemon
6. A contest system similar to how ORAS did it, complete with a mechanic like the rainbow PokeBlocks and able to max out a Pokemon's appeal
7. New regions based on locations that haven't been used before, like Germany or Iceland or Ireland. The Pokemon movies go location-scouting all the time, why not the games?
8. More activities to do besides battling, like the Underground or the Dream World

A more in-depth story that isn't dark. Can we finally get a good story with characters we actually care about without resorting to pointless edge?

I would like to have some rich side quests throughout the game. You do not necessarily need to do all those things, but you get rewarded if you do. Each location should have one and the quests vary depending on the location. Most times, it should be about helping a trainer or a Pokémon out in specific situations.

Let's say there is a baby form Pokémon that lost its mother in the jungle. You are supposed to follow the hints and find its mother safely. That baby Pokémon in question follows you in the meantime, so that you can keep it safe from any potential danger. Once you find its mother, you could be rewarded with a specific, very useful item that its mother gives you.

Or let's say two lovers want to see each other, but either one of them has to go through a tunnel or cave, and they just cannot because they don't have a Pokémon to protect and guide them. You can, however, go to a location and catch one specific species for them. When you give it to either one of them, they take that Pokémon from you and go meet their partner. When you meet them in other location, your reward could be the evolved form of the Pokémon that you caught for them, which evolves in complicated ways, such as a trade or a very rare item, idk.

Let's say there is a rumor that an unknown Pokémon scares people and wild Pokémon in a specific location (a ghost-type, maybe). You are supposed to find that Pokémon, entertain it in ways that it will not look for inappropriate ways to have fun. Maybe even find an item (Pokédoll) and leave it with the Pokémon after you battle them. Then you are rewarded by the mayor of the city (or the gym leader) for it with a rare item, again.

Those kind of quests give depth to the game, Pokémon species, and the region itself. You could actually take a seat back from your gym/league quest and just explore the Pokémon world in ways you would like.

I was just involved in a discussion about this on PokeCommunity; either trade-back NPCs or elimination of trade evolutions altogether in favor of stones, held items, or moves.

Trade evolution complimented the Link Cable because the Link Cable in all its primitive glory encouraged social connections/relationships with other players.
Wifi, since it doesn't require participants to be sitting next to each other, not only eliminated the social necessity but requires one to trust a complete stranger as it made it easier for someone to exit a trade with a Pokemon that was meant to be returned with no consequences.
As a shiny hunter and someone who no longer has RL friends to trade with I would rather not take that risk.

In relation to the above, eliminate version encounter exclusivity. Again, without the social aspect, there is just no reason for it. I've never been able to use a Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash because I've completed Sword but haven't yet gotten my hands on Shield.

• More trainer customization options would be dope.
  • More of the Pokemon follower option.
  • Darker and more in-depth stories like the ones in fangames such as Rejuvenation and Desolation.
  • More evil team depth like Plasma or perhaps evil corporations or cults instead.
  • More rival backstories.
  • More protagonist backstories and more father inclusions or alternations to single fathers. Perhaps even sibling inclusions.
  • More pre-requisites to battling gyms after entering a new town/city.
  • More post-game instead of money leeching DLC.
  • Side Quests which are optional but worthwhile for devoting the time.
  • More Gen 3 style contests with added shiny acknowledgment.

Fangames have done all of the above to provide more enriching experiences so Game Freak has no excuse.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom