• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Shiny Encounters Thread

My most recent shiny is a Machoke in Cerulean Cave in HeartGold. This is actually the second one in this game and even in the same location, but I still caught him. He is Hardy and has Guts as his Ability.

I recently finished a play through of Y the other day so doing a bit of Friend Safari shiny hunting and having a pretty good run. In the past couple of days I’ve had shinies of Nincada, Ivysaur and Tangela!

anyone out there wants to swap 3DS friend codes hit me up!

I did get the Duskull shinies from the GO event recently, and both a random-encounter Spearow and kantonian Meowth shinies. Again in GO. I am a bit tired of hunting shinies in the main series, for the time being, since I have failed miserably to get either a Hawlucha and/ or a Staryu. Tons and tons of eggs by Masuda method, to no avail.

Yesterday, I was fishing on Route 12 in X, trying to find a Huntail. Suddenly, I hooked a shiny Octillery. I threw a Dive Ball and caught the critter. I learned it has Suction Cups and a Naughty nature, and "Likes to fight" as a characteristic. Then, I saved the game.

I just ran into a shiny Machop in Brilliant Diamond. Full odds, too. Caught him and named him Hulk (because shiny Machamp is green like the Hulk). Sadly, he has a Modest Nature, so he's gonna just sit in the box and be pretty.

Got my first Brilliant Diamond shiny on Sunday night - a Masuda Method Charity that I bred after the third gym and taking to the Pokémon league with me…eventually- enjoying quite a slow play through

Recently, I was level grinding Flareon in X and attracted a horde of Murkrow. One of them was shiny. I decided to avoid weakening it and caught it in a Repeat Ball after paralyzing it with Ampharos' Static. It is Hasty and has Insomnia, and its Attack is it best IV, but its Special Attack IV is zero. I then saved the game.

Bumped into a shiny Psyduck on a complete whim at full odds in Shing Pearl a couple of days ago! Named her Misty because I'm uninventive and dropped her in my boxes; I don't feel any particular attachment to having shinies in my team and I already have a Water-type. She sure is cute, though.

Ran into a shiny Roselia in the Grand Underground in Brilliant Diamond. It took a bit to catch him but I got him. Named him Opera after the Demon School character (I'm doing a secondary run with Demon School as the nickname theme). He has a Timid nature and Extrasensory as his Egg Move. Sadly, he's got Poison Point instead of Natural Cure but everything else about him is fine so I'll accept it. Can't wait to use him in battle.

I am so happy! Finally I got my second shiny by Masuda method, and it was a gorgeous black and purple Hawlucha! Funny thing is, I started this hunt a few months ago and got annoyed as I usually do and left it unfinished, but yesterday I decided to continue the Hawlucha shiny hunt and I got my first batch of eggs of the day, and bam, there it was in all its sparkly glory! I really like the feeling of satisfaction once you pull this off.

Now I'm boldened to hunt for a Lickitung.

Last edited:
Holy Arceus, I can't believe my luck. Today, after three and a half boxes of Lickitungs, I got my adorable golden shiny! Heck, I am now attempting a shiny Druddigon via the same method. I could get it by tomorrow, if my luck is still as awesome as the last couple days. If I get the Druddigon I will try to win the lottery the day after...

Edit: late at about 2 am today Dec 14, I did get my green, mean shiny Druddigon. I'm telling you, I have never had this many shinies in such a short time.

Last edited:
Dude, I'm not kidding, and someone may think I am when they read what I will say but... a few minutes ago, I was playing a casual playthrough of Sun, and in a patch of grass next to the Aether House, I found a random, full-odds shiny Alolan Raticate, and I caught the guy with a quick ball! Insane, I tell you.

I barely believe it myself but there they are... too bad I didn't have my phone close to record that. Hot damn!

Tomorrow, heck, I am getting a lottery ticket!

Hot dang... so far , in the span of about three days, I have got five brand new shinies:

By masuda method in Shield:
  • Hawlucha
  • Lickitung
  • Druddigon
  • A Cottonee, soon to become a beautiful Whimsicott

By full-odds random encounter in Sun:
- Alolan Raticate

I will keep going. This time with a Drednaw. I might try my luck in Let's Go too.

Note: sorry for spamming this thread but I am so dang happy, I need to share this. I still can't believe my luck of late. It's almost like a Christmas miracle... another reason to love this season.

Last edited:
As per tradition, every time a regional dex contains the Geodude line I will (eventually) run into at least one member that is shiny. Today, in Brilliant Diamond I ran into not only a shiny Geodude, but also a shiny Graveler, both in Mt. Coronet within the span of 5 minutes. And... as per tradition... at least one shiny member of the Geodude line will explode on me. Three guesses which one went kaboom.

If you guessed Graveler, then congrats, you win the booby prize, because that's what happened. I tried chucking a Quick Ball but it burst out, followed by it using its Destiny Demolisher... whoops, wrong franchise... I mean Self-Destruct, and you can figure out the rest. I did catch the Geodude (due to it being too low leveled to learn Self-Destruct, thankfully), so it wasn't a total loss. But it still stung. I lose more shiny members of the Geodude line that way. Now... let's see if I'll eventually run into a shiny member of the Zubat line, as that's also one of Mons that I pretty much always get at least one shiny from whenever it's in a regional dex.

As per tradition, every time a regional dex contains the Geodude line I will (eventually) run into at least one member that is shiny. Today, in Brilliant Diamond I ran into not only a shiny Geodude, but also a shiny Graveler, both in Mt. Coronet within the span of 5 minutes. And... as per tradition... at least one shiny member of the Geodude line will explode on me. Three guesses which one went kaboom.

If you guessed Graveler, then congrats, you win the booby prize, because that's what happened. I tried chucking a Quick Ball but it burst out, followed by it using its Destiny Demolisher... whoops, wrong franchise... I mean Self-Destruct, and you can figure out the rest. I did catch the Geodude (due to it being too low leveled to learn Self-Destruct, thankfully), so it wasn't a total loss. But it still stung. I lose more shiny members of the Geodude line that way. Now... let's see if I'll eventually run into a shiny member of the Zubat line, as that's also one of Mons that I pretty much always get at least one shiny from whenever it's in a regional dex.

And I thought I was being lucky these days. What are the actual odds of that happening to anyone else? Unless you are actively looking for them.

I caught a Shiny Ponyta out of completely nowhere in Brilliant Diamond while following the story to Celestic Town after clearing the Psyduck blockade. This is by far the earliest point I've ever found a shiny in a mainline game, beating out my very first shiny, a Seel from the Whirl Islands in SoulSilver.

Unfortunately, everything else about this blue horse isn't very good (Brave, Run Away, unimpressive IVs) and I already had a very well performing Houndoom, so I'm not using it. At the least, it'll get to evolve so I can have that Shiny Rapidash recorded for my dex.

I caught a full odds shiny Wooper in the Great Marsh this morning. I was in the Great Marsh catching some Mons that I needed for dex data when I randomly ran into it. Fortunately, I caught it with just one Safari Ball, as you know how nerve-wracking Safari Zone-based shinies are. Named her Mud-D (a play on the word muddy) but I'm not going to use her, as I'm not really a fan of the Wooper line. But, still, I admit I was pleasantly surprised at my luck, especially since it was a Safari Zone shiny.

Back
Top Bottom