• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which of Goh’s Starters got done the dirtiest writing wise?

Which of Goh's Galar Starters did the Writer's do the dirtiest?

• Cinderace

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Inteleon

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Grookey

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • ALL OF THEM

Votes: 21 47.7%

• Total voters
Just to let you guys know, it is confirmed that Grookey is evolving.

All of these Pokemon belong to Ash, Goh and Chloe (and Dawn’s Piplup) so that means there's definitely no coincidence of Rillaboom's placement

View attachment 153051

@Enzo @Kurolegacy @A Wild Luxray @Unireon @Ghost Diplocaulus
@PkmnTrainerV

Unlike with Inteleon, you can't blame Grookey's evolution on Popularity/Marketing purposes because Rillaboom isn't that really marketable at all.

So what do you guys think their excuse for this is? :unsure:
They want Goh to have three fully evolved starters... for the sake of having three fully evolved starters, I suppose.

I am baffled at them deciding to add Gorirander to the main cast. That Pokemon is hideous as hell.

The Full-Evolved-Complete Set of Starters, utterly wasted.

If I were to made a guess, the reason is that the writers are so enamoured with Gou....
And are unable to stop favouring/pampering him.

They want Goh to have three fully evolved starters... for the sake of having three fully evolved starters, I suppose.
If that's the case, what an stupid reason/motive. Those mediocre writers.

Really shallow reasoning on the writers’ part if you ask me. At the end of the day, they seriously decided to, for the first time in the anime’s history, have all 3 starters fully evolve and they gave them to the guy who not only never actually trains his Pokémon onscreen but who doesn’t show his Pokémon off in interesting ways because he’s not even a casual battler (except for when the writers randomly decide he is) nor does he do any of the other events the series has created. Honestly, Go has gotten on my nerves at this point with how the writers just break every tradition in the book for him treating him as some kind of golden child. And for what? An additional friggin Pokédex entry at every turn. I honestly feel that the takeaway when it comes to Go is, he is a walking example of what not to do with a trainer in Pokémon. A slice of life series, sure, but not a Pokémon character.

Just to let you guys know, it is more than likely confirmed that Grookey is evolving.

All of these Pokemon belong to Ash, Goh and Chloe (and Dawn’s Piplup) so that means there's definitely no coincidence of Rillaboom's placement

View attachment 153051

@Enzo @Kurolegacy @A Wild Luxray @Unireon @Ghost Diplocaulus
@PkmnTrainerV

Unlike with Inteleon, you can't blame Grookey's evolution on Popularity/Marketing purposes because Rillaboom isn't that really marketable at all.

So what do you guys think their excuse for this is? :unsure:
Wait a second. It seems that I may have overlooked some things in this image.

Taking a closer look at this, there's a Pidgeotto and a Dracozolt in there. And as far as we know so far nobody that we've seen owns those. (Goh might catch them later tho)

So it's possible the Rillaboom might not necessarily be Goh's :unsure: (Even tho I still believe it is)

Wait a second. It seems that I may have overlooked some things in this image.

Taking a closer look at this, there's a Pidgeotto and a Dracozolt in there. And as far as we know so far nobody that we've seen owns those. (Goh might catch them later tho)
Gou does have a Pigeon, he caught it in the episode where Kojirou got Morpeko.

That was the closest thing he had to a recurrent issue when trying to catch a certain species.
It could have been a running gag, like the thing with Satoshi and Nokocchi.

I can already tell Grookey's evolution will feel significantly more undeserving than Drizzile's. The way they've handled Galar's starters frustrates me to no end. This will be the first fully evolved trio, but the most poorly handled trio. First of all, why give all of them to a character that doesn't train his Pokemon and doesn't even battle regularly? Why do they refuse to show on-screen development with actual build-up? The Galar starters have been an absolute mess.

You know, the worst part is that you just know that there’s gonna be people going wild celebrating this on social media when it happens acting as if Go actually did anything to earn having all 3 fully evolved starters rather than having it handed to him on a silver platter. Meanwhile Ash actually trains, battles with and actively helps his starters grow and at best gets 2 fully evolved, and any time he has all 3, has only once had 1 fully evolve.

You know, the worst part is that you just know that there’s gonna be people going wild celebrating this on social media when it happens acting as if Go actually did anything to earn having all 3 fully evolved starters rather than having it handed to him on a silver platter. Meanwhile Ash actually trains, battles with and actively helps his starters grow and at best gets 2 fully evolved, and any time he has all 3, has only once had 1 fully evolve.
I think the worst part is that people are going to be using this as another reason to trash on Ash.

"Lol A new Kid get catch a Legendary and Evolve all 3 of his Starters but Ash couldn't? Ash is so lame lol!"

Gou does have a Pigeon, he caught it in the episode where Kojirou got Morpeko.

That was the closest thing he had to a recurrent issue when trying to catch a certain species.
It could have been a running gag, like the thing with Satoshi and Nokocchi.
I completely forgot about that.

Oh well I guess Rillaboom confirmed then Lol

I can already tell Grookey's evolution will feel significantly more undeserving than Drizzile's. The way they've handled Galar's starters frustrates me to no end. This will be the first fully evolved trio, but the most poorly handled trio. First of all, why give all of them to a character that doesn't train his Pokemon and doesn't even battle regularly? Why do they refuse to show on-screen development with actual build-up? The Galar starters have been an absolute mess.
And to think we almost had a perfect opportunity with the Hoenn Starters nearly 20 years ago.

If only Marshstomp evolved

High chance if Grookey does evolve, they'll just replace them with another shoulder pet and toss them aside like they did with Drizzile until it's evolution.
Likely. What's gonna happen is after running around doing nothing but cause trouble and never learning, Grookey's gonna jump into one small battle or protect one of Goh's background fodder Pokemon, then evolve despite doing very little to truly earn it.

Likely. What's gonna happen is after running around doing nothing but cause trouble and never learning, Grookey's gonna jump into one small battle or protect one of Goh's background fodder Pokemon, then evolve despite doing very little to truly earn it.
That or it’ll just be doing its regular mischief and hit someone with a stick and suddenly evolve on the spot with the writers justifying it as that it was gaining experience from hitting things.

If Grookey does end up evolving all the way into Rillaboom, I'll let it slide so long as we see Grookey get actual onscreen development across ALL of its evolutionary stages, but unfortunately Journeys's track record admittedly doesn't have me feeling very optimistic, so I'm bracing myself for another Drizzile.

Anyway, if Grookey does end up evolving all the way it will just further cement my feelings that it would have been much better if the Galar starters had just been distributed among Ash, Goh, and Chole rather than dumping all of them onto Goh.

Anyway, if Grookey does end up evolving all the way it will just further cement my feelings that it would have been much better if the Galar starters had just been distributed among Ash, Goh, and Chole rather than dumping all of them onto Goh.
How would you have handed out the Galar Starters? Which to who?

I am actually fed up with that gremlin's hitting gag. I would have thrown that stick into a bonfire.

Which Mon do you think that will become Gou's new shoulder-warmer? Another starter?

How would you have handed out the Galar Starters? Which to who?
Scorbunny would have remained with Goh, Grookey would have gone to Ash, and Sobble would have gone to Chloe. Scorbunny's the starter that had the least bad handling, so I'm letting Goh keep it. Meanwhile I'd give Grookey and Sobble to Ash and Chloe respectively because I feel like their personalities fit those Pokemon well. Ash has worked with comical and goofy Pokemon before, and having Grookey evolve all the way to Rillaboom would be a nice subversion of the usual trend of Ash's cutesy comic relief mons not evolving, in addition to adding more Galar rep to his team as well as giving Ash another Pokemon besides Riolu/Lucario that gets ample screentime and development. Meanwhile, Chloe gets Sobble because Sobble's development of evolution going from meek and timid crybaby to capable and confident spy could serve as a neat catalyst for Chloe's own development, making her go from rather indifferent to Pokemon and overall aloof to much more caring towards Pokemon and less worried about her own path in life: she'd help Sobble slowly but gradually reach the Inteleon stage and maybe in doing so Chloe could find out what she wants to do too. Granted, Sobble going to Chloe almost certainly means no Eevee because most likely there wouldn't be enough time to develop both mons, but I'm tired of the "girl companions get an Eevee" trend, so I personally wouldn't mind.

Which Mon do you think that will become Gou's new shoulder-warmer?
Hard to say because I don't think it's something that Goh already has: among Goh's roster, the only thing that I could see filling the cute shoulder-warmer role is Alcremie due to it being small and cutesy enough for the role while still promoting Gen 8, but like I said, it's likely that the new designated shoulder-warmer will be something that hasn't been caught. If it were up to me, though, I'd make the new shoulder-warmer a Wooloo, especially if Hop won't get to appear (and even if he does, he'd most likely be a PWC opponent, meaning he'd most likely use a fully evolved team), as Wooloo is cute, highly marketable, is from Gen 8 so it acts as promotion, and is WAY more popular than its evolved form but isn't a starter, so there wouldn't be anywhere near as many reasons to evolve it.

High chance if Grookey does evolve, they'll just replace them with another shoulder pet and toss them aside like they did with Drizzile until it's evolution.
Only question is what? Rowlet, Oshawott, and Cyndaquil? (Rowlet's unlikely considering we just had a Rowlet on the main cast last Generation)

If Grookey does end up evolving all the way into Rillaboom, I'll let it slide so long as we see Grookey get actual onscreen development across ALL of its evolutionary stages, but unfortunately Journeys's track record admittedly doesn't have me feeling very optimistic, so I'm bracing myself for another Drizzile.

Thwacky is even less popular than Drizzile is.
If that put Drizzile on a bus then they are definitely gonna find some way to skip Thwacky

I agree that the Starters should've been split between the Main characters tho

I would have done the following.

Hibunny to Gou, Messon to Satoshi and each of the monkey line's stages to three different Characters of the Day.
I never liked the third line, so I don't want to see it in the Main Cast.
Koharu is fine with her Eevee, though I'd like Wanpachi being her other Pokemon.

Will be there Warp-Evolution, like Digimon, in Anipoke?
The green gremlin evolves directly into its last form.

It will suck if the writers use an already neglected species, or starter, and give it to Gou.
Somehow, they would mishandle something even further.

Mawhip is an interesting choice, but some people may use it to bash/deride him.
You know, those that mocked him for being 'pretty' since his design got revealed.

Edit: My choice for the next shoulder-pet is Nidoran-male.
It's one of my favourite lines and I'd like to see more of it, at least.

Last edited:
Cinderace had decent development but rushed evolutions with not enough screentime (as a Cinderace especially). Sobble stuck around a lot in his base form but its evolutions were even worse. Grookey so far has had plenty of screentime but no focus, has basically done nothing so far.

I guess Sobble? Those 2 evolutions really came out of nowhere and weren’t addressed in between at all. He’s even practicing new moves (like liquidation) offscreen. But Grookey is kinda worse, because he hasn’t even battled yet. I’m holding off on labelling him rn cause I wanna see how his evos work, but I’m not expecting much either.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom