• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN089: Dialga & Palkia! The Space-Time Cataclysm!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly how I feel tbh. Even if she didn't had any all-new Pokémon, I still think Buneary and Quilava should've evolved. Or at least one of them.

Like, Iris managed to become champion, get Axew to full evolve and was even implied to have a fully-evolved Goodra. But Dawn has been gone longer than she has and she didn't got anything? No new mons, no evos, nothing?
Probably because the other girls had story reasons for their pokemon to evolve. Axew evolving was something built up from BW and should have happened back then. May's Glaceon was the only reason she got an Eevee in the first place as the writers knew Eevee was getting new evolutions.

Buneary had like 180 eps on the cast and never showed signs of wanting to evolve, and as I mentioned, it's also the cute pokemon the writers like similar to Psyduck, Pancham and Munchlax the writers tend to never evolve. I feel like Quilava would only happen if they cover the Arceus game and/or Dawn gets a third cameo next year which could very well happen. Even then I'd rather Ash's Quilava get that honor so I'm not that bothered by it.

Dawn's team just doesn't give much room to evolve it like the other girls teams did. And as I mentioned before, even Misty hasn't made a new capture in 15 years since her Azurill in AG so the writers barely have the girls get new pokemon.

Imagine if Dawn just has Ambipom again and it's never explained when she came back and nobody aknowledges it
As unlikely as that is, I'd be so happy to see Ambipom back where it belongs and I don't think a lot of fans would even care about its sudden reappearance.

This is exactly how I feel tbh. Even if she didn't had any all-new Pokémon, I still think Buneary and Quilava should've evolved. Or at least one of them.

Like, Iris managed to become champion, get Axew to full evolve and was even implied to have a fully-evolved Goodra. But Dawn has been gone longer than she has and she didn't got anything? No new mons, no evos, nothing?

I thought that Goodra was confirmed to not be Iris's, or at least there was nothing in the episode to confirm that it was hers. Even with her using her BW team for that match for nostalgia, if she had a popular Pokemon like Goodra, one would think that she'd either use it or at least show her having it. The only change to her team that I think was confirmed was her Axew evolving.

Probably because the other girls had story reasons for their pokemon to evolve. Axew evolving was something built up from BW and should have happened back then. May's Glaceon was the only reason she got an Eevee in the first place as the writers knew Eevee was getting new evolutions.

It's hard to say that it was built up from BW when Axew evolving was dropped as soon as it was introduced. If it was handled better, it should have evolved at least once during BW.

Buneary had like 180 eps on the cast and never showed signs of wanting to evolve, and as I mentioned, it's also the cute pokemon the writers like similar to Psyduck, Pancham and Munchlax the writers tend to never evolve. I feel like Quilava would only happen if they cover the Arceus game and/or Dawn gets a third cameo next year which could very well happen. Even then I'd rather Ash's Quilava get that honor so I'm not that bothered by it.

Dawn's team just doesn't give much room to evolve it like the other girls teams did. And as I mentioned before, even Misty hasn't made a new capture in 15 years since her Azurill in AG so the writers barely have the girls get new pokemon.
Psyduck was more of the comedic relief Pokemon and they never really explained how Pancham evolves in the context of the anime. Not to mention Pangaro wouldn't have worked for a Showcase. The Munchlax comparison is pretty fitting though. I would be pretty happy if Dawn comes back to promote Legends Arceus with her Quilava, Ash brings in his Quilava for some reason and they both evolve into Typhlosion at the same time. I'm not sure if it would work, but given how poorly Typhlosion has been treated in the anime, two main characters suddenly having one would at least be pretty cool to see.

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, I'm glad to see Dawn's full team after we only saw Piplup in her first two-parter. It's nice to see that she's still working with her team and ideally going for Contests off-screen. On the other hand, it is disappointing that there isn't any sign of improvement or change with her team. Yeah, there are really only two options for evolutions on her team and former traveling companions don't tend to get a lot of captures after they leave the show anyway, but it's just kind of sad. I'd probably be fine with Buneary not evolving if they at least brought up that it doesn't want to evolve. I generally prefer it when the show establishes that a Pokemon doesn't want to evolve instead of just never mentioning it at all. Plus, I don't see why Lopunny would be off the table anyway. Buneary is more cute and marketable, but when it's probably not going to get much screentime, I don't see why making it evolve would be a problem. Quilava evolving might have been more fitting for Legends Arceus promotion admittedly, but I still would have loved to see Typhlosion in the anime.

This also stings a lot considering Iris' return. Despite not being interested in even being a new Gym Leader, Iris somehow became the new Unova Champion off-screen and Axew somehow evolved all the way to Haxorus off-screen even when it was pretty much just useless in BW. I remember people saying that it was to show that Iris had made progress since leaving the cast. I never liked either of those decisions and I still think that they were trying way too hard to make anime Iris match more with video game Iris, but I understood why they'd want to show that Iris had been working towards her goal off screen. Even Misty and Brock got Mega Pokemon in SM to show that they weren't just twiddling their thumbs. But at least on the surface level, it doesn't seem like Dawn has made any progress or her team has evolved since appearing in BW. Now it could be different once the episodes air and Dawn could still be making progress towards her goal even with the same team, but when they went so hard on Iris to make her look different from where she was in BW and Dawn is seemingly effectively the same, it is rather disappointing to say the least.

Axew evolving was a long time coming.BW never followed through with its plots but it's something that a lot expected over time so Iris finally having Haxorus felt fitting and continued the development of the character

Buneary had 180 eps on the cast and never had any plot line about needing to evolve or grow stronger, and if the writers didn't want to evolve it for 4 years of DP, or her BW cameo, I don't see what another 11 years later would make a difference.

Also Dawn doesn't need an evolution just for the sake of giving her an evolution. This isn't a competition, just because some characters get evolutions doesn't mean they all need one. If Quilava doesn't get used this arc and it probably won't, showing her with a Typlosion for 10 seconds won't matter at all.

Axew evolving was a long time coming.BW never followed through with its plots but it's something that a lot expected over time so Iris finally having Haxorus felt fitting and continued the development of the character

I think it would have felt more fitting if Axew was better handled in BW. Even if it didn't evolve, I think that making its growth much more consistent would have gone a long way to make it becoming a Haxorus much more believable. As it stands, it still felt way more forced than fitting. Although, I never really bought into anything of Iris' development, so becoming the Unova Champion and getting a Haxorus after Axew was virtually useless in BW was not going to work for me.

Buneary had 180 eps on the cast and never had any plot line about needing to evolve or grow stronger, and if the writers didn't want to evolve it for 4 years of DP, or her BW cameo, I don't see what another 11 years later would make a difference.

To be fair, I think the usual plot points about how a Pokemon doesn't want to evolve might have been a bit stranger for Buneary given that it evolves through friendship. They also weren't really interested in giving Buneary much attention, so that probably didn't help its odds of evolving. Evolving it now at least seemed more plausible than it was back in BW given that it ties in more directly with BD/SP and they already had Quilava evolving in her special to show that she had been making progress.

Also Dawn doesn't need an evolution just for the sake of giving her an evolution. This isn't a competition, just because some characters get evolutions doesn't mean they all need one. If Quilava doesn't get used this arc and it probably won't, showing her with a Typlosion for 10 seconds won't matter at all.

I'm not talking about getting an evolution for the shake of it or that she should get some because Iris got a Haxorus. I'm not treating this as a competition, but rather that unlike the vast majority of other returning companions, Dawn's team seemingly hasn't improved since BW. Team changes should ideally reflect the work the companions have done since leaving the cast. Misty hasn't caught a new Pokemon since AG, but she showed up with a Mega Gyarados in SM, which is nothing to gloss over and still effectively does the same job of showing her with a new Pokemon. It shows that she has been working hard with her Pokemon and become a better Gym Leader. Brock got a Mega Steelix and a Comefy in his trip to Alola to showcase more of his progress as a Pokemon Doctor in training. Yeah, Iris getting so much off-screen development makes this sting more for me personally, especially when I feel like they were trying too hard to make Iris fit more with her video game counterpart, but that isn't the only reason. We wouldn't really see these new Pokemon for that much and worse case scenario would be just a five second cameo like May's Venusaur, but I still like the idea that these characters have been having adventures off-screen and getting new Pokemon and/or evolutions as a result. Showing Dawn with just the same team gives off a much more stagnant impression of her journey since BW, which is just a shame.

To be fair, this is all just based on the surface level of this image. I don't think that they've established if Dawn has attempted any more Grand Festivals or how many new ribbons she has and she can still potentially showcase that she is still making progress even with having the same team. The notion of Dawn trying to become a Top Coordinator with her first full team is also kind of nice in a sense. It just feels like Dawn is getting the short end of the stick when I think nearly every other returning companion has had some changes to their teams in their returns. The only one I'm not sure of is Cilan since I never saw his special in XY.

As unlikely as that is, I'd be so happy to see Ambipom back where it belongs and I don't think a lot of fans would even care about its sudden reappearance.

The reason of why i become love ambipom because i saw how it is great pokemon during ash and dawn time.

I wanted to back. And i already did a thread about why he replace it yo buizel if you remember which is The trading idea between Eipum, and Buizel, did you like it?

I think it would have felt more fitting if Axew was better handled in BW. Even if it didn't evolve, I think that making its growth much more consistent would have gone a long way to make it becoming a Haxorus much more believable. As it stands, it still felt way more forced than fitting. Although, I never really bought into anything of Iris' development, so becoming the Unova Champion and getting a Haxorus after Axew was virtually useless in BW was not going to work for me.

I waited to see your in my thread Give a senario of how Alder And Elite four lost to Iris,; cause i can't imagine thiz awful thing

Because really this is the same to my opinion

Alder beated the worst trip, and was also been known as strong. He was nearby to be in cynthia's level.

Caitlin (Japanese: カトレア Cattleya) then a Psychic-type elegent Trainer who love being an elegent and love her pokemon shine as elegent was nearby to beat garchomp but still lost to baby poor axew who can do anythong. The axew with his super unnatural power when he learnt outrage and giga impact the 2 super power attack who nearly need 20 level traning final evolution and axew learn them out of nowwhere for one shot and with not training let's hope axew learn hyperbeam, on roar of time or Spacial Rend or two of them or all
the roar of time is special dragon attack for dialga but axew is super special so hy can learn it in xyand same with special rend who is attack for palkia and for hyperbeam who is special for final eveoulation except dragonair who can use it and not final evolution however who super unnatural axew and his traning iris (damn axew and iris he can learn hyperbeam and beat all the rules of pokemon.

But really do have a question.

One day, iris said to the three boys who challenged each other, i mean that episode that ash got krokorok, she yold to them that you are still young to battle that's doesn't make any sense?

How dare you ask them this question? Isn't you who beat 99 trainers before became a trainer?

Last edited:
It was bad enough to learn that Hikari hadn't bettered her initial go at the contest circuit since we last saw her, but now she hasn't changed her roster in nine years?!

I'm now convinced the writers are trolling us with Hikari... "Oh, so you wanted to see her Pokemon? Here you go, exactly the same as you remember them HA!"

I'm thinking back to when Haruka made her guest appearance in Diamond and Pearl; she'd only been gone a year and a half but managed four evolutions in that time. Now we have Hikari who has managed NOTHING since she's been gone. Has she just been lounging around at home? No wonder Togekiss has shrunk.
I guess they either really like her team or don't care enough about them to feature any evolutions; maybe it's an animation thing since Buneary and Quilava are easier to animate than their evolutions. That said, Lopunny is so overdue. It's a friendship based evolution, so one doesn't even have to battle much with it. And on that note, it's Dawn's second oldest Pokémon behind Piplup - that's a lot of time together. You would think she would be happy enough with her Trainer by now. It would also shake up the eyes as Piplup, Buneary, Pachirisu, and Togekiss all essentially have the same eye pattern.

Togekiss has always had size discrepancies though since its introduction; they just can't decide how big it is relative to a person. At one point it was as large/larger than Salvia, while at others it reached Dawn's waist.

I guess they either really like her team or don't care enough about them to feature any evolutions; maybe it's an animation thing since Buneary and Quilava are easier to animate than their evolutions. That said, Lopunny is so overdue. It's a friendship based evolution, so one doesn't even have to battle much with it. And on that note, it's Dawn's second oldest Pokémon behind Piplup - that's a lot of time together. You would think she would be happy enough with her Trainer by now. It would also shake up the eyes as Piplup, Buneary, Pachirisu, and Togekiss all essentially have the same eye pattern.
Another thing about Buneary that has remained unchanged since its capture is its moveset: the same set of three moves has been with it since its debut. Kinda stale, if you ask me.

I don't think she has a Goodra. My theory it just was a representation of Iris challenging various Dragon Pokémon.
I thought that Goodra was confirmed to not be Iris's, or at least there was nothing in the episode to confirm that it was hers. Even with her using her BW team for that match for nostalgia, if she had a popular Pokemon like Goodra, one would think that she'd either use it or at least show her having it. The only change to her team that I think was confirmed was her Axew evolving.
Well, yeah, I will give you both that. But to be perfectly frank: at the same time no one said she has a Goodra, no one also said she hasn't, tho. It's up in the air still.

So my personal take is that it's meant to be open to interpretation of the viewers, until they actually explictly either confirm or deny her ownership.

And like, I know this is slightly off-topic so I will keep it short lol, but I do like the idea of her having one, or any other Dragon-type for that matter, because it just does not sits well with me that a Pokémon Champion who's also a Dragon Master only has 3 (three!!!) Dragons, one still being in the dark about having evolved at all or not. So it might be wishful thinking, might be my own headcanon lol, but I would want for her to indeed have a Goodra and for her to have fully evolved Gible into Garchomp too.

Last edited:
Iris has been off-screen since 2013 and we know she became the strongest trainer in Unova. It's not surprising she got Axew to evolve and probably has more pokemon captures we don't know about. If anything the length she has been off-sceen makes her glow up more understandable (as opposed if she got a cameo in XY) because it's implied she did non-stop training and battling in that time.

On that matter, it’s implied that Iris got at least one more pokemon, since you need a full team for the league.
If Cameron is any indication, you can enter a League without a full team just fine. Besides that, I think Iris getting eight Gym badges, winning the Unova League, defeating the Elite 4 and Alder makes her becoming the new Unova Champion even more unbelievable to me. That's just way too much off screen development for me to believe.

Iris has been off-screen since 2013 and we know she became the strongest trainer in Unova. It's not surprising she got Axew to evolve and probably has more pokemon captures we don't know about. If anything the length she has been off-sceen makes her glow up more understandable (as opposed if she got a cameo in XY) because it's implied she did non-stop training and battling in that time.

I still don't see why the amount of time Iris has been off-screen would make her becoming the new Unova Champion more understandable. It's been eight years since she appeared, but it hasn't been eight years in-universe. Time in the anime doesn't really work like that, so I don't see why that would justify her position. It's also weird given that Dawn had been off-scree for roughly the same amount of time, yet her team is the same with no visable signs of improvements or change. It just doesn't make sense to use years since Iris appeared to justify her changes and then not have the same kind of expectation for Dawn when they both hadn't appeared for about the same amount of out of universe time.

The implication that she did non-stop trainig and battling is also kind of hard for me to believe. She was chasing after Rayquaza after she lost to Clair and she wasn't into even becoming a new Gym Leader. Going from that to the Unova Champion is a pretty huge leap. Giving Iris another special or something before appearing in Journeys might not have made it necessarily better for me, but it might have provided at least a bit more on-screen development to make it less of a giant leap.

Iris had been implied to be training hard. If Ash's Goomy could evolve to Goodra in the span of about 10 episodes, Axew evolving after being off-screen for about 400 episodes is certainly believable.

Anyway getting back on topic about Dawn I don't mind she has no evolutions because I never want to see Buneary evolve. And admittedly Quilava I'm indifferent to.

Iris had been implied to be training hard. If Ash's Goomy could evolve to Goodra in the span of about 10 episodes, Axew evolving after being off-screen for about 400 episodes is certainly believable.
I don't think that's the best comparison to make since I thought that Goomy's evolutions felt unearned too, especially when they just wanted Ash to have a Goodra for his battle with Clemont and then it pretty much did nothing but lose after it came back for the Kalos League. The amount of time Axew was off-screen doesn't make it becoming Haxorus more believable when it's strength was inconsistent at best and Iris was not really interested in training it either. It's just a lot for me to believe that Iris spent so much time training and battling when she wasn't battle active in BW.

Misty wasn't that battle active in the original series either to be fair, but as a Gym Leader she would be required to battle against challengers frequently, which would make her increase in strength and getting a Mega Gyarados perfectly fine. I don't have to suspend my disbelief for her progress. If Iris had decided to become a Gym Leader at the end of her special instead of chasing after Rayquaza, maybe that would have made her becoming a Unova Champion with a Haxorus more believable. It still would have been a pretty huge leap, but it might have provided some foundation for the changes instead of everything to come out of nowhere and the audience is just expected to believe that she improved way too much off-screen.

Anyway getting back on topic about Dawn I don't mind she has no evolutions because I never want to see Buneary evolve. And admittedly Quilava I'm indifferent to.

I don't really see the problem with Lopunny or why you never wanted to see Buneary evolve. It isn't one of my favorite Pokemon, but it's fine and it would have given Buneary something to do. Maybe it could have finally learned a fourth move and it would be able to move around higher and faster. Buneary is cute and marketable, but it doesn't really have much going for it. The rest of Dawn's team at least stand out a bit more, although arguably Togekiss stands out in the worse way given how I feel about its capture. Even Pachirisu stands out for being the first Pikachu clone in the main cast, had a battle with a Gabite after learning its fourth move and I still think it's the cutest of the Pikachu clones. Making Buneary evolve would at least be something, especially when it should have a strong friendship with Dawn as her first capture. I don't really see much of a reason to be that against Buneary evolving at least.

I don't see a problem with wanting Buneary to evolve, but I don't see a problem with not wanting it to evolve either. It could just be as simple as you prefer Buneary over Lopunny, or would like to see Buneary receive some focus first, or you want to see the anime showcase growth in a different way, etc.

Sometimes you don't need a real reason to want or not want something. It could be as simple as a preference.

What's happened to Togekiss?

20211202_195216.png
20211202_195255.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom