• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN089: Dialga & Palkia! The Space-Time Cataclysm!!

Is no one going to mention how regular Team Rocket tried to steal Pikachu? I can’t believe that something I took for granted in earlier series became so rare in Journeys, that I actually became pretty happy when it happened in this episode. Plus, the return of the Meowth hot air balloon. Poor Team Rocket deserves so much better in Journeys.

Is no one going to mention how regular Team Rocket tried to steal Pikachu? I can’t believe that something I took for granted in earlier series became so rare in Journeys, that I actually became pretty happy when it happened in this episode. Plus, the return of the Meowth hot air balloon. Poor Team Rocket deserves so much better in Journeys.
Was probably an intentional homage to the DP series where they did that all the time

I wish each member of the Rocket trio had a different personality individually ... The only difference between the 2 teams is that the real ones are childish, goofy and looser and the AU Rockets are (BW ones) mature, very serious and competent. Jessie is still the leader of the AU team… I wish it had been James the AU leader...
A shy and unconfident AU Jessie and bossy and dominant AU James would have been perfect…

Last edited:
I wish we got more moments like that.
No, I'm not talking about Team Rocket trying to kidnap Pikachu.
I'm talking about Team Rocket trying to kidnap Pikachu, Ash fucking annihilating them in seconds, and then moving on with his day like nothing happened.
And it's not because I hate Team Rocket, it's because I love them when they're not taken seriously. I like them as the butt of every joke, as those Villains who take themselves way too seriously. Like Invader Zim, except bearable.
I love Team Rocket in Sun and Moon, for example.
I just Cringe whenever Ash sees Team Rocket and actually considers them an actual threat. I think they should fully embrace Invader Zim Team Rocket.

Also, i don't know if it was the same on this site, but people used to HATE Team Rocket in Journeys. So far so that a lot of people, including myself, said that they'd rather Team Rocket not appear at all rather than be like they were earlier in Journeys. With the Gacha.
So, yeah, be careful what you wish for.

A couple things:

First, while visiting Twitter, I found out that AU Ash uses the formal and humble pronoun "boku" instead of the informal and cool "ore" of the regular Ash, which emphasizes his more timid nature.

FFrThpyXIAAOZTX

I actually think that that was the initial pronoun for Satoshi.
But for some reason his 'Boku' got changed into 'Ore', not even in kanji but katakana.

There is a song that came in both Mezase Pokemon Master, Original and Anniversary, singles.
'Oyasumi Boku no Pikachu', sung by Matsumoto-san.
The pronoun is not present in the lyrics, rendering the choice of why the title used it even stranger.

Back to the episode; Alternate Satoshi actually sounds like Ryou Bakura.
It makes sense since both are shyer/meeker than their 'counterparts'.

You know there's something very wrong when Grookey shows more concern for Piplup than Pikachu does and Grookey doesn't even know Piplup

Hey @Enzo remember when Pikachu and Piplup were friends?

We saw Pikachu showing concern for Dawn when it first saw her on the bench. This is a later scene when they were eating. I don't know why people are taking minor 5 second scenes and making a big deal out of them.

We saw Pikachu showing concern for Dawn when it first saw her on the bench. This is a later scene when they were eating. I don't know why people are taking minor 5 second scenes and making a big deal out of them.
People like complaining and Pikachu gave the complainers ammo with 31.

31 may be Pikachu’s No Such Luck or Chameleon

Its JN, people make a big deal out of things that don't matter to justify hating a series with plenty of real issues to address anyway

Are we not talking about Cynthia's Kommo-O
Let's see... she first had a Kommo-O in Masters...
Yeah, if Leon gets E-Max Enternatus and Calyrex(Forgot which horse he was riding) (Never happening, but who knows?), Tobias is the one getting creamed instead.

Great episode all things considered. They wasted no time and got provided good setup for the second parter. I love the little things like Ash bringing up ultra wormholes, Goh mentioning Haruhi in particular - it's good continuity and actually relevant for them to bring up. The pairings also play off each other well, liked those 'She's just like Satoshi' and 'He's such a positive thinker' ones. Things are happening at a breakneck pace and more episodes would've been nice, but I'll see how it pays off next week first.

When Ash was thinking about Pokemon who could travel to other worlds, how did the first thing that come to his mind not was Solgaleo? He raised him since he was a wee Nebby, and plus, Ash even mentioned Ultra Wormholes earlier in the episode.

Oh, yeah, right, anyway, that was a good episode.
Hope it doesn't end up like the previous Sinnoh two-parter with Darkrai and Cresselia, where the first part did a good job of setting up the second part, but it leads nowhere.
By that point he'd seen a gateway appear already, and must have recognised it didn't look like an Ultra Wormhole. Solgaleo was in Alola, or at least the Ultra Wormhole phenomena had centered around Alola, and since time was of the essence a tropical detour wasn't best advised.

Wow what can I say about this episode. There was a lot here! The best part was Better TR. I actually hate TR with them stealing Lucario and Inteleon. Seeing Ash and Goh's Bulbapedia page feels sad now. Cynthia is also revealed to have Kommo-O which is cool seeing as she has one in Masters. I can't wait for the next episode. This episode is a 10/10 for me only because of Better TR

Also as an aside, it would have been neat if AU Dawn had Empoleon since she did leagues in her universe. It would have been another contrast to our Dawn if she let her Piplup evolve to Empoleon for battles.

I mean, it wouldn't have made sense if AU Dawn has Empoleon but steals our Dawns Piplup, which means the only mons they could have evolved were Quilava into Typhlosion or Buneary into Lopunny or don't give her a Mamoswine but let it stat a Swinub or Piloswine instead.

Speaking of continuity, what I loved was how it was Hikari who called out how weird the AU TRio were compared to normal. She’s the only one who has had frequent enough exposure to them but not to their post-BW ‘coolness’/access to tech to think that our TRio could carry out that kind of scheme.

This.was.a.fantastic.episode. Period!
It had so many great elements that I even don't know where to start (and frankly, I'm a bit surprised this thread doesn't already have many many more posts)
Let me go through the most important and greatest aspects in ascending order:

First, we got to see Dawn again. Not only is she one of Ash best female companions (to me she's undoubtedly the best one), an episode with Dawn always promises to have an awesome plot.

Second, Dialga and Palkia, two of the best legendary Pokemon made their return and will get two more episodes focusing on them. Fantastic! What I also loved was how the whole issue of space, time and alternative worlds was addressed. This was not just science fiction, no, this actually is a "real world problem" because as you might be aware of, even moderns physics and philosophy is discussing the issue of a possible multiverse. Brilliant! I'm still thrilled this topic was brought up in a serious way!

Third, and this is still making me shiver, what incredible, epic music that was! Those dramatic, orchestral pieces of music, just epic through and through! I can't remember when the music was that great and it made the episode so incredibly intense and better. Wow, just wow!

Last but not least, the greatest aspect of this episode. Of course you've already guessed what I'm going to say now ;)
CYNTHIA, wonderful Queen and Pokemon Master, is here again :notworthy: Although she only got a few minutes of screentime (but even a short glimpse of her always makes me blissfully happy), she managed to save the Pokemon in that situation and once again proved why she is in fact the strongest, coolest and most epic character and Pokemon Master!
Oh, by the way, did you not notice that whenever the situation has gotten really serious in Anime so far, no other Champion appeared more often than Cynthia (even in other regions that aren't her home region). Having realized that, I'm convinced even the writers think of Cynthia as the best (regardless of Leon's current status who just needed to be promoted because of SwSh).

To sum it up: I couldn't be happier with this episode and when it comes to the second part all I can wish for is more Dialga and Palkia action, the same epic music and lots of great Cynthia moments! :giggle:

By the way, what is the English equivalent of "Reversed Scale", the moves Garchomp and Kommo-o were using? Reversal? I'm not sure if it was translated correctly in the subs because I couldn't find it on the internet.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom