• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

Well... If that's true, we are all screwed :(
Deleted my post to doublecheck my info.

So yeah, the license thing is an issue on the Playstation devices apparently due to the achievement system. It's designed that way to prevent achievement abuse.

On the Nintendo Switch, it seems we're better off because even if you get banned, you can still play your downloaded games offline. You just can't play online, update your games, or download new games. Although if any of your downloaded games is coded so that it has to check online for updates or whatever or else it won't run, you would probably be screwed out of playing that specific game. For the most part, though, seems we're good on the Switch.

Also probably worth noting that this only counts for your primary console. Nintendo has some sort of primary/non-primary console setup where you can login on a secondary console to play your games, but that secondary console requires constant internet access to play. So if you were banned, probably couldn't do that either.

Last edited:
On the Nintendo Switch, it seems we're better off because even if you get banned, you can still play your downloaded games offline.
Thank God. This is exactly what I was hoping for, as I don't play online anyway. Offline is all I care about. Thank you so much!!!
You just can't play online, update your games, or download new games.
That's fine, the Switch Pokemon games will have already received their latest updates years before that happens! Fair.
Although if any of your downloaded games is coded so that it has to check online for updates or whatever or else it won't run, you would probably be screwed out of playing that specific game.
Do you know if LGPE, SwSh and BDSP are coded that way?

Last edited:
Do you know if LGPE, SwSh and BDSP are coded that way? I only play Pokemon games so that's all I care about...
I honestly don't know. I couldn't find any information on any license checks or anything of that sort for the Switch.

Pokemon doesn't seem like the type of series that would do that, though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I honestly don't know. I couldn't find any information on any license checks or anything of that sort for the Switch.

Pokemon doesn't seem like the type of series that would do that, though, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Ok thank you very much!!! And I think you're right: Pokemon is partially aimed at kids, and I don't think Nintendo would do this license checking to kids.

Ok thank you very much!!! And I think you're right: Pokemon is partially aimed at children, and I don't think Nintendo would do this to kids.
It's more that Pokemon is mainly playable offline with minimal online content, and historically anything that required online in any capacity just became unusable once the servers for it went down. The series has also just been building up from the same code all these years, it has more in common with older games than anything more recent. Its foundation is designed to run without internet, so it'd be kind of weird if they implemented anything that would make it so it wouldn't work at all without it.

Keeping in mind that I don't have any in-depth knowledge of this, I'm just gleaming what information I can. But as far as I know, the only Switch games that should become unplayable without internet access are games that are mainly played online anyway. The Switch can check if the games you're playing are valid or pirated (even if you play them offline, apparently, it'll just wait until you're online again to tattle on you) and that can result in Nintendo suspending or banning your account, but that just cuts you off from the internet.

i got the game at launch and i still haven't even looked at the online fetures. the only online features i care about (the gts and wonder trade) aren't available yet anyway

New trailer!!! I wasn't expecting this, considering the game is already out! Any idea why it is releasing so late?
Maybe they wanted to give people time to beat the game before revealing the entire postgame? Idk

For a second i thought it was going to be DLC and i would get genuinely upset. Specially if it was Platinum stuff. Because if this remake would get anything from Platinum, it should have been in the base game and not DLC.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom