• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review JN094: The Heracros Loss and the Kailios in Love

Was good to see Erika return, its a shame that her only Pokemon that we saw outside of flashbacks was Leafeon

Slightly annoyed that Hoothoot and Lilligant were caught off-screen with Hoothoot just being there

I don’t mind Lilligant being caught off screen before the episode as there was at least attention brought to it - but Hoothoot just being there is kinda icky.

It was a nice episode, Erika was a fine addition and I’m so glad we finally did something with Pinsir and Heracross - my only real regret is that on Chloe’s quest to meet all the Eeveelutions - Leafeon has probably done the least of all of them so far, just modelling and using Razor Leaf a few times.

Wish Leafeon did more, bit concerned about off screen captures for Goh but those aren’t exactly problems with this episode - this episode was nice.

Full VA list courtesy of Adamant

Rica Matsumoto: Satoshi
Daiki Yamashita: Go
Ikue Ohtani: Pikachu
Kana Hanazawa: Koharu
Yuichi Nakamura: Professor Sakuragi
Megumi Hayashibara: Musashi
Shinichiro Miki: Kojiro
Inuko Inuyama: Nyarth
Yuji Ueda: Sonansu
Kei Shindo: Eievui
Hana Takeda: Sarunori
Haruka Shamoto: Leafia
Kyoko Hikami: Erika
Daisuke Namikawa: Koharu's Smartphone Rotom
Kenyu Horiuchi: Narration

Slightly annoyed that Hoothoot and Lilligant were caught off-screen with Hoothoot just being there
I don’t mind Lilligant being caught off screen before the episode as there was at least attention brought to it - but Hoothoot just being there is kinda icky.
My theory is that Hoothoot's capture could happen in one of the remaining Legends special episodes.

Given Gengar makes a random cameo in an ep mainly filled with Goh's Pokemon, I will choose to believe Ash gave it to Goh. /s

Actually seriously I do wonder if Goh's ever considered adding to his Pokedex with rounds of quick trades with Ash. Like round trades n stuff.

I'm a fan of the episodes which focus on the pokémon in the dome, so I was looking out for this one. (Maybe this should be a standard formula for filler episodes in this series. With this many pokémon, and growing, there are enough stories that can be told. Not that this episode was 100% filler I guess.)

Last weeks episode wasn't bad, but I was more invested in this story. Possibly because I feel we knew Pinsir better than Ren and Francois.

There was a little continuity with references to Ash last visit to this gym. I don't know if Erika recognised TRio as the people responsible for burning down her gym last time. I think she should have. Although, I feel like she also had a little trouble recalling Ash. (A little dizzy like in the games?)

Dressing up the pokémon was nice.

A nice little semi-filler episode. I liked it.
Given Gengar makes a random cameo in an ep mainly filled with Goh's Pokemon, I will choose to believe Ash gave it to Goh. /s
And when did Ash ever caught a Hoothoot? Or did he caught one offscreen and gave it to Goh? Or is your theory it is a child of Ash's Noctowl? ;)

To be honest, I was glad with Gengar's cameo. I mean: Dragonite, Gengar, Lucario, Sirfetch'd and Dracovish also life at Cerise lab/park. It's only logical we also see (some of) them in those group shots. I was looking for Ash's Pokémon in those shots.

Last edited:
Erika welcome back de gozaimasu. She says de gpzaimasu in every thing in the episode 26 japanese sub so i want to say mou okaeri nasai de gozaimasu

It would be nice if all the Kanto Gym leaders get low-key returns like this. Besides Sabrina he doesn't need to battle them again but it's nice to revisit them. This felt like a Koharu ep and Go episode mixed together.

Would have been cool to know if Erika's Gloom had evolved into Bellossom but I guess it doesn't matter. Also all those other perfume girls at her Gym seem to have been jettisoned.

sweet scent do be turning pokemon into simps

That aside, this was an OK filler episode. Erika returned (it's nice to see her again considering the last time she appeared was literally in the last millennium,and for once the little shit actually does something to progress the plot even by a centimeter in a positive way and not be a useless annoying shit. The continuity was also kinda nice, as was the relationship between Heracross and Pinsir.
The only real issues I have are Team Rocket, their disguise parts were kinda pointless since it lasted for around a minute, but I guess the battling they do is enough to make up for it, and the lack of closure (like what happens to Lilligant?)
Also nice to see more Eeveelutions for Chloe .to be based around (although so far this one has been handled the least effectively)

The Pinsir/Heracross relationship is still better a better love story than Twilight-

6/10

I agree, this episode is not very appealing.

Gou's Pokemon are not interesting at all, and getting caught offscreen strips them of any highlight they may had had.

Heracross and Kairosu are just defined by their 'relationship', which lacks any depths, also being so sappy.
The former is merely a prop while the latter's expressions are very cursed.

I neither care about Erika, what happened back then is hard to forget or forgive.
I recall rooting for the TRio during the bombing.

I thought Go's Pinsir was cute in this episode. But I liked seeing Erika and Koharu/Leafeon too, and TR was surprisingly used well here. It's nice to see how much Erika has changed and they acknowledged Ash saving her Gloom.

The writers managed to do some nice character interaction with both Koharu and Go. We need more Gym leader returns like this outside the PWC so we can catch up with them.

Heracross and Kairosu are just defined by their 'relationship', which lacks any depths, also being so sappy.
The former is merely a prop while the latter's expressions are very cursed.
For a while now, I've been thinking of the possibility that these two could form an Egg. Hatching an Egg is one of the few methods of obtaining Pokémon that Goh has yet to experience with his own Pokémon.
I neither care about Erika, what happened back then is hard to forget or forgive.
It was her Gym Trainers who blocked Ash's entry to the Gym, not her.

For a while now, I've been thinking of the possibility that these two could form an Egg. Hatching an Egg is one of the few methods of obtaining Pokémon that Goh has yet to experience with his own Pokémon.
Unless Pinser is getting a baby pre evolution next gen, then an egg between those two will simply give Goh another pinser

It was her Gym Trainers who blocked Ash's entry to the Gym, not her.
I have been always aware of that fact.

But. Who is their boss?

Then she does a rather lousy job running the Gym; since her trainers ban people, get away with it and she never notices it.

At least I expected for her to address that issue and take responsibility and measures.

And it still remaining unacknowledged in today's episode doesn't work for me.

Last edited:
Umm... Did Goh also catch a Hitmonchan off-screen? And when did he get that Binacle?
He got hitmonchan from the karate master after beating him off screen and he caught Binacle in episode 25. I had to look up when he got both because I even forgot he had those.

Why didn’t even Meowth care about Chloe? He should’ve still had feelings. He only cared about Pikachu. He can’t be Chloe’s enemy. Maybe more about the next episode, he will care more.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom