• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl General Discussion

I got these games recently, and I'd like to share my thoughts on them. Overall, I think the games are great, but they (like all games) have some flaws.

What I liked:
•The fact that DP are being remade in the first place
•The Grand Underground is the Wild Area and the Underground all in one
•They kept the awesome Game Corner theme
•Several Pokémon that were missing in SWSH are back
•Player customization
•You can catch starters
•HMs are accessible even if you don't have a Pokémon that knows them
•Several QOL features from the later games are included
•It's faster than the DS games
•Ramanas Park is cool, sort of this game's version of Ultra Space or Dynamax Adventures

What I didn't like:
•No Battle Frontier or Distortion World
•No Pokémon from Gens 5-8
•Legendary bans in the Battle Tower are back
•Palmer doesn't have the Frontier Brain theme
•Single-use TMs are back
•Getting Pokémon's friendship up takes forEVER.
•No Megas, Z-Moves, regional variants, or even Dynamaxing
•The Amity Square restrictions are as stupid as ever
•I hate how the Poketch works, especially in areas where you need Defog
•The partner AI (especially Marley's, who they've made worse by only giving her Arcanine only one attack that it can only use once) is still dumber than a bag of hammers

Last edited:
Single-use TMs are back
This is one of the most head scratching decisions in the game. I thought it was agreed universally (i'm sure some don't like this) that TMs having infinite uses was one of the best changes from Generation 5, to the point ORAS kept it even though it was a remake of a generation that had single use TMs.

Sales update: Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl have now sold almost 14 million copies combined worldwide. This makes them the best-selling remakes in the Pokémon franchise.

Not yet, but in a few months they will inevitably be the best selling remakes. On the other hand, SWSH became the second most sold games in the Pokémon franchise and Pokémon Legends had a stronger release than SWSH and BDSP in Japan. Mario Kart 8 is the best seller in the franchise, as are Animal Crossing: New Horizons and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In its turn, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the best-selling fighting game of all time. And, finally, Switch became Nintendo's best-selling console.

Looks like Nintendo is living a golden age, doesn't it?

Not yet, but in a few months they will inevitably be the best selling remakes. On the other hand, SWSH became the second most sold games in the Pokémon franchise and Pokémon Legends had a stronger release than SWSH and BDSP in Japan. Mario Kart 8 is the best seller in the franchise, as are Animal Crossing: New Horizons and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In its turn, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the best-selling fighting game of all time. And, finally, Switch became Nintendo's best-selling console.

Looks like Nintendo is living a golden age, doesn't it?

Well the Switch is selling like hotcakes and Nintendo's games are really doing an excellent job appealing to their base, they're doing a lot of things fans of those IPs either wanted or sincerely enjoy. Nintendo's living in a golden age because they understand what the fans want.

As for Legends Arceus, it's not technically a remake because there is no previous game with Legends' game design and story. Legends is a prequel reimagining, it takes place in an old region but the design is all new and drastically different from the original DP (there are familiar locations from DP in LA, but the map design is not a copy of DP's). It does seem to be doing very well and probably will outsell other remakes, but we can't really categorize this game as a remake.

Well the Switch is selling like hotcakes and Nintendo's games are really doing an excellent job appealing to their base, they're doing a lot of things fans of those IPs either wanted or sincerely enjoy. Nintendo's living in a golden age because they understand what the fans want.

As for Legends Arceus, it's not technically a remake because there is no previous game with Legends' game design and story. Legends is a prequel reimagining, it takes place in an old region but the design is all new and drastically different from the original DP (there are familiar locations from DP in LA, but the map design is not a copy of DP's). It does seem to be doing very well and probably will outsell other remakes, but we can't really categorize this game as a remake.
Y E S! Y E S!

The Item finder is worse, it is so pointless.
They really should have gone the 3DS route and given you an item you could use while moving around. Also, when I first used the app back on the DS, I thought it was showing you where the item was on the screen rather than its position relative to you.

Well, I never said that Pokémon Legends Arceus is a remake, because I don't agree with that statement. At most, I said they look like a very ancient fourth-generation prequel.

Well, I never said that Pokémon Legends Arceus is a remake, because I don't agree with that statement. At most, I said they look like a very ancient fourth-generation prequel.

Oh derp, didn't realize I was in the BDSP thread when I posted that. Not as sure BDSP really fits that bill, but everything Switch sells because of what some of the bigger games are doing. And I think we can count LA as one of them too.

I wonder when Nintendo will finally make BDSP compatible with Pokemon Home? All they've said is that it'll be implemented in 2022, but there's been no word about it since then, and it's been three months since BDSP came out. I wonder if this and Legends Arceus will get Home support as well?

I wonder when Nintendo will finally make BDSP compatible with Pokemon Home? All they've said is that it'll be implemented in 2022, but there's been no word about it since then, and it's been three months since BDSP came out. I wonder if this and Legends Arceus will get Home support as well?
You do realize that it has only been one month since 2022 started, right.

Bruuuuuuuuuuh.... Throw away your Nintendo Switches... Don't let Nintendo propegate that worthless garbage to ravage so many lives. The DS was so much better.
This has nothing to do with the topic at all.
Extremely disappointed. Firstly they're on the Switch and not the 3ds. Second I wanted a Platinum remake with Mega Evolution and Z moves and every Pokemon
The 3ds era is over, it's sad, but it won't change anymore. About second, that may be the case for you, but for a lot of people it isn't and a lot of people who would've liked the stuff you mentioned still like BDSP besides the flaws.
I agree that the Switch games in general don't need to exist. But I don't like Legends: Arceus at all. Nintendo should just finally distribute the Azure Flute for Platinum so we can get Arceus on a game that's actually good instead.
(Or decriminalize hacking; back in December 2015 when I bought my Action Replay I hacked the Azure Flute right after I caught Darkrai!)
No one talked about switch games in general.

Bruuuuuuuuuuh.... Throw away your Nintendo Switches... Don't let Nintendo propegate that worthless garbage to ravage so many lives. The DS was so much better.
sorry, but whose lives are being ravaged by the nintendo switch?

i like the 3ds more too, but i don't see why we should hate the switch. it has many fun games.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom