• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Repeating what other people have said really doesn't help your case. You're not the first person I've seen using her death like that and I'd happily call out other people for doing this too. Telling me that I should focus my issues with those people when you're repeating their argument doesn't make sense when you're part of the problem. Just because other people have said it before doesn't negate your involvement here either. It just sounds like you want to be upset at TPCI, which I'd be fine with if you weren't trying to use Maddie's passing to further justify it.

It does come off as demanding, or at the very least you're expecting people to provide evidence for a claim that can't really be proven either way. We don't know what Maddie's life could have been like if she was still voicing Meowth at the time of her passing. We don't know if having that bit of income would have helped her with getting medical treatment. I can't say for certain that she'd still be with us if she still had that role, but neither can you. You're treating it as if having that role would have made a significant difference in preventing her death, but neither of us can know that for certain. That's why you're statement bothered me because you're treating a theory as something more like a fact and needed evidence to be proven wrong when no one can know for certain if Maddie would be alive or not if she still had her role.
Those people were not "using her death" just cause you say so, that's complete and utter nonsense and I'll happily call out you and anyone else that says they were. Never said it "negated" anything. I don't need her passing to "justify" anything about me being upset at TCPI, i'm merely repeating what if i've already heard. It sounds like you're a big fan of them and don't want to think about the idea that they might be at least partially responsible for her death.

I never claimed it was a fact, but from everything i've read and heard it's compelling enough for me to believe it.

Those people were not "using her death" just cause you say so, that's complete and utter nonsense and I'll happily call out you and anyone else that says they were. Never said it "negated" anything. I don't need her passing to "justify" anything about me being upset at TCPI, i'm merely repeating what if i've already heard. It sounds like you're a big fan of them and don't want to think about the idea that they might be at least partially responsible for her death.

I never claimed it was a fact, but from everything i've read and heard it's compelling enough for me to believe it.
I'm just going to make this one thing clear. Just because I'm not putting the blame on TPCI for Maddie's passing or believe that they're responsible for what happened to her to any degree does not make me a big fan of TPCI. I'm probably more indifferent towards TPCI than anything else at this point if I'm being honest. If you're that set on making me into the bad guy and repeating what I'm saying to make your own arguments, then there's no point in discussing anything with you further. We're done here.

I'm just going to make this one thing clear. Just because I'm not putting the blame on TPCI for Maddie's passing or believe that they're responsible for what happened to her to any degree does not make me a big fan of TPCI. I'm probably more indifferent towards TPCI than anything else at this point if I'm being honest. If you're that set on making me into the bad guy and repeating what I'm saying to make your own arguments, then there's no point in discussing anything with you further. We're done here.
Never said anything about you being a "bad guy", but your seeming unwillingness to admit that TCPI's firing of her had even a slight chance of contributing to her death I can't help but find somewhat concerning and disturbing, if you can't see the issue with that then I don't know what else to say. You're only saying we're "done" cause you can't actually prove me wrong.

PSA: Warning on discussing Maddie Blaustein’s death
Discussion of the passing of Maddie Blaustein will be ending here. It is morbid and extremely distasteful to speculate on the tragedy on the basis of rumour. Warnings will be issued if it continues further.

wasn't she Rex Goodwin in yugioh 5ds
Maddie was never Rex, nor Oliver Wyman either which some sites also list. It was actually Murray Thom who voiced him though it seems like it must be a pseudonym for someone else since the name was only ever seen in both 5D's and the Duel Links mobile game which we most likely won't know.

Maddie was never Rex, nor Oliver Wyman either which some sites also list. It was actually Murray Thom who voiced him though it seems like it must be a pseudonym for someone else.
She voiced Rex at first but was replaced with Wyman after her passing. I must say Wyman did a pretty good job as I couldn't even tell the difference between the two.

She voiced Rex at first but was replaced with Wyman after her passing. I must say Wyman did a pretty good job as I couldn't even tell the difference between the two.
This isn't true in the slightest since it doesn't sound anything like Blaustein. Duel Links instantly debunks Oliver too since he voices Aster Phoenix in said game and it too sounds nothing like him.

I believe it was just a baseless rumour that people used for a while. If you check out most episodes with Rex appearing, his voice sounds exactly the same.

Last edited:
I thought Rex Goodwin sounded similar to Sartourious in GX, who Maddie also voiced. I forgot Maddie voiced the talking chatot in the pokemon mystery dungeon special.

Hi! Literally coming back from the dead to clear this up.

The official reason the English dub was recast was NDAs the 4Kids actors had. If you've ever seen how the current voice actors for the show can't do their voices at conventions and the like, the same was true for 4Kids actors, and is standard across any voice actor's NDA. 4Kids was not allowing voice actors to use their character's voices in non-4Kids approved productions, which included Pokemon S9-onward.
NDAs also last for a period of time, in case for 4Kids two-three year periods. So for 2006 to 2008, if a voice actor from 4Kids did their Pokemon voice on S9-onward, they effectively were breaking it. Notice how
1. James Carter Cathcart and Kayzie Rogers are not in any 4Kids productions past this. James was recast from being Vector too in the Sonic series.
2. In 2008, most voice actors returned including Maddie, Marc Thompson, Dan Green, among others. Yes this is in tandem with DuArt taking over but it's only a coincidence.

It's pretty clear cut, unfortunately the drama of 2006 was hectic at the time and lots of misinfo spread around. I'd say these days there isn't a lot different from 4Kids to TPCi in terms of casting, think how many reprisals we've seen in Journeys alone. Hope this helps, now back to the grave I go.

Hi! Literally coming back from the dead to clear this up.

The official reason the English dub was recast was NDAs the 4Kids actors had. If you've ever seen how the current voice actors for the show can't do their voices at conventions and the like, the same was true for 4Kids actors, and is standard across any voice actor's NDA. 4Kids was not allowing voice actors to use their character's voices in non-4Kids approved productions, which included Pokemon S9-onward.
NDAs also last for a period of time, in case for 4Kids two-three year periods. So for 2006 to 2008, if a voice actor from 4Kids did their Pokemon voice on S9-onward, they effectively were breaking it. Notice how
1. James Carter Cathcart and Kayzie Rogers are not in any 4Kids productions past this. James was recast from being Vector too in the Sonic series.
2. In 2008, most voice actors returned including Maddie, Marc Thompson, Dan Green, among others. Yes this is in tandem with DuArt taking over but it's only a coincidence.

It's pretty clear cut, unfortunately the drama of 2006 was hectic at the time and lots of misinfo spread around. I'd say these days there isn't a lot different from 4Kids to TPCi in terms of casting, think how many reprisals we've seen in Journeys alone. Hope this helps, now back to the grave I go.
Ah OK, thank you for clearing that up. Though that still does not explain how TCPI managed to get the old narrator back, wouldn't he have signed an NDA as well?

I'll just change the topic:

• This December will mark the 25th anniversary of the airing of Pocket Monsters (1997) Episode 038, "Cyber Soldier Porygon." Nobody in any sort of official capacity will do anything to acknowledge this, of course (the TPCi social media team tried it but hastily deleted it soon after) but I'm sure we'll see tons of ill-researched clickbait articles from people who want to capitalize on the anniversary. So my prediction is that we'll see a bunch of cringe-inducing articles...? (By the way, I do have some plans for the 25th anniversary myself but you'll have to wait until December to find out what those were).

I'm so not looking forward to non-pkmn media's articles about this, i can imagine the lack of research and clickbaiting garbage the articles will be.

I'm so not looking forward to non-pkmn media's articles about this, i can imagine the lack of research and clickbaiting garbage the articles will be.
We'll just have to wait and see, I don't think all non-Pokemon media articles about this will be bad, I think Kotaku and Polygon will have interesting things to say, but i'm sure loads of right-wing media outlets like Brietbart, Daily Wire, Daily Caller, New York Post and Newsweek(yes Newsweek is now owned by right-wing nutjobs, depressing seeing a venerated publication have it's name utterly bastardized like this)will be spouting all kinds of xenophobic garbage.

We'll just have to wait and see, I don't think all non-Pokemon media articles about this will be bad, I think Kotaku and Polygon will have interesting things to say, but i'm sure loads of right-wing media outlets like Brietbart, Daily Wire, Daily Caller, New York Post and Newsweek(yes Newsweek is now owned by right-wing nutjobs, depressing seeing a venerated publication have it's name utterly bastardized like this)will be spouting all kinds of xenophobic garbage.

I think Kotaku and Polygon will do a good job with this, especially since there's fans of the francise there.
----
I'm still a bit annoyed that porygon and it's evolutions was banned for something pikachu did tho.

I think Kotaku and Polygon will do a good job with this, especially since there's fans of the francise there.

I'm still a bit annoyed that Polygon was banned for something pikachu did tho.
Yeah Porygon getting banned was totally bogus. In high school I read a young adult novel called "So Yesterday" that featured a scene where the characters actually watch a tape of that episode and it actually causes one of the girls to have a seizure, it was pretty surreal to see that incident being referenced in a YA novel, not only that it ends up being what leads to the leads becoming a couple.

Oh boy, can't wait to see all the garbage clickbait sites blame Pikachu for everything when it's clearly the animators fault and it always was their fault but we'll blame the fictional mouse creature instead because "MAH CLICKS!"
:cautious:

If he did say that (do you have a link?) then the man's delusional. Pocket Monsters wasn't just this really popular TV show in Japan; it was a multimedia behemoth the likes of which nobody had ever seen before . It is impossible to overstate just how big of a juggernaut it was in its home country.

There is absolutely no universe in which somebody doesn't bring Pokémon over to the West.
There was an article on LinkedIn on some December 2021 business magazine article about Al Khan that discussed this too. Those don't seem up there anymore. I wished I saved them. I still can't believe 4kids botched mega hits like Tama and friends, Ultraman Tiga, magical Doremi, one piece etc. There's this YouTube link at around 4:30 minutes. Also at 22:30
The story of Veve's head of licensing, AL Kahn. A reading by Randy Chavez! this is the article as well read by a person.

Last edited:
I don't think they ever wanted most of the 4kids cast to reprise their roles after 2008. For example Veronica Taylor could have voiced May again in DP but they decided not to bring her back. Rachael Lillis could have voiced Misty in her SM cameos but they chose not to use her even 15 years later.

The CG Mewtwo movie also would have made sense nostalgia wise to use the 4kids cast for instead of the modern one and they still chose not to.

There was an article on LinkedIn on some December 2021 business magazine article about Al Khan that discussed this too. Those don't seem up there anymore. I wished I saved them. I still can't believe 4kids botched mega hits like Tama and friends, Ultraman Tiga, magical Doremi, one piece etc. There's this YouTube link at around 4:30 minutes. Also at 22:30
The story of Veve's head of licensing, AL Kahn. A reading by Randy Chavez! this is the article as well read by a person.
Personally, I can believe Kahn saying that he and 4Kids were the ones to convince Nintendo to localize Pokémon, but I don't believe that another company wouldn't have done the same if 4Kids hadn't first.

I don't think they ever wanted most of the 4kids cast to reprise their roles after 2008. For example Veronica Taylor could have voiced May again in DP but they decided not to bring her back. Rachael Lillis could have voiced Misty in her SM cameos but they chose not to use her even 15 years later.

The CG Mewtwo movie also would have made sense nostalgia wise to use the 4kids cast for instead of the modern one and they still chose not to.
Not the same roles, no, because those were already recast at that point, and that would require recasting them again. Regardless of how you feel about the initial recast, two wrongs don't make a right; those roles belong to Natochenny, Knotz and the others now just as much as they did to Taylor, Lillis and the others back then.

Back
Top Bottom