• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So I guess it's impossible for the anime to cover Legends Arceus, Hisui and it's characters, right?

Sai

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
As most who have played the game know, it takes place a few hundred years in the past with its own set of characters, pokemon, and lore. There are tons of ancestors to Sinnoh characters, new major characters like Irida and so forth.

Problem is the anime isn't going to send Ash back in time for a long period of episodes, and since it takes place in the past there's no way for any of those game characters to be introduced in the modern day in Journey's. So other than a set of specials that don't include Ash, there's no way for the anime to properly cover its story or characters.

The difference is unlike other spinoff like Pokemon Snap or the old Colosseum games, Legends Arceus is basically a mainline Pokémon game. So this is the first major Pokémon game the anime can't really cover properly. I guess we might see something like the Twilight Wings specials for it but even then it'll have nothing to do with the main anime.

I wouldn't count it out of the scope of possibility entirely. If they truly wanted, they could easily send Ash (along with Go if they chose) back to the past for a Hisui arc for some contrived Arceus-related reason. Go could even go on a catching spree to bring back Pokémon of old to the present, which would fit with his character and goals. It most likely won't have the nuance and depth fans of LoA would like, but it would be something. Given how they handled the Darkest Day and Lusamine plots, it isn't beyond them to condense the entirety of LoA's story into just several episodes.

Regarding Hisuian Pokémon, I could see them existing in the Ash's time currently - they're just incredibly rare or need to come into contact with the right catalyst (ex. a Goomy slithering over a certain type of soil reminiscent of Hisuian minerals, triggering its evolution). Advertisement-wise, I feel like it would be a missed opportunity to not promote the Hisuian Pokémon in the anime or at least several of them. And since the game is out now and we're on the subject, I'm disappointed Dawn's Quilava didn't become a Hisuian Typhlosion during the LoA special; after seeing the Starter leaks, I honestly thought that was the direction they were headed before the anime series released, but then realized it wasn't going to happen given the BDSP direction they largely went in instead. The tools were all right there writers, smh.

They're not going to have Ash in the past for numerous episodes which is what they would need to cover the plots of the Arceus game. We've had time travel for single episodes but not a long period of time. There feels like there's no place in the current series to even do it without distracting from the current series.

This will be the first mainline Pokémon game that I assume won't be covered in any significant way by the main anime. We'll probably see the new Hisui pokemon in episodes eventually but I don't think any of the game plots or characters will be featured at least part of Ash's story. Maybe we'll get a series of specials/shorts for it otherwise.

I think it won’t be covered because of the crappy “adaptation” in the Amazon Prime specials, but nothing within the structure of the anime prevents an adaptation.
Problem is the anime isn't going to send Ash back in time for a long period of episodes

They're not going to have Ash in the past for numerous episodes

We've had time travel for single episodes but not a long period of time. There feels like there's no place in the current series to even do it without distracting from the current series.
Honestly, why not? Ash was sent in an alternate reality in SM, so why not the past? Honestly this seems a pretty arbitrary “limitation” to me. And also “because they haven’t done it before” basically means nothing now.

I don’t see how it’ll distract from the series. Isn’t the entire thing about JN is that it’s episodic? It’s pretty perfect for the premise. They can simply pretend the episode didn’t exist if it’s too bad.

They could easily do a time travel plot for a 2-3 episode arc if they wanted to.

Not even just in the anime, I just want the Pokemon Adventures manga to cover Pokemon Legends Arceus or BDSP (or both!), but it seems so very unlikely at this point...

Please, just let us see Dia, Pearl, and Platinum again... They are by far the most neglected Pokedex holders... I'll even settle for look-alike ancestors in the manga!

I think it won’t be covered because of the crappy “adaptation” in the Amazon Prime specials, but nothing within the structure of the anime prevents an adaptation.
Those Arceus specials were mis-marketed, but I don't think they did a crappy job.

Honestly, why not? Ash was sent in an alternate reality in SM, so why not the past? Honestly this seems a pretty arbitrary “limitation” to me. And also “because they haven’t done it before” basically means nothing now.

I don’t see how it’ll distract from the series. Isn’t the entire thing about JN is that it’s episodic? It’s pretty perfect for the premise. They can simply pretend the episode didn’t exist if it’s too bad.

They could easily do a time travel plot for a 2-3 episode arc if they wanted to.
Because to properly cover the game plot and characters you'd need at least 20 episodes worth and obviously they're not going to distract 20 episodes away from the current show to do that. Have you played the game out of curiosity? The story has quite a bit of characters. Time traveling for 2 or so episodes isn't the same thing as a long period of eps.

I don't think it's impossible exactly for them to do something with Legends Arceus. They could easily be sent to the past through Arceus' powers and spend a few episodes in Hisui. I wouldn't expect them to cover everything about the game. A good portion of the appeal of Legends Arceus comes down to the exploration and completing Pokedex entries, which would be hard for the anime to convey regardless, and I'm not sure how long they'd want Ash and Goh to be in the past. I don't think a longer arc would really be a bad thing. Journeys is already pretty episodic, so I don't think a time travel arc would feel like they're stalling Ash's PWC journey either. Plus, the anime has been more than willing to cover the games' climax within a few episodes without having enough buildup before hand like with Lusamine's plot and the Darkest Day. They could easily do something similar with the climax of Legends Arceus. Goh catching these Hisui forms in the past would make a lot of sense with his goal too.

Even though the anime already confirmed that these Hisui forms don't exist anymore, I still expect for them to show up in the present. It would be easy to just show them hidden away in some remote area of Sinnoh, so that they're really rare or have to come across certain areas to gain these new forms. They've already shown fossil Pokemon living in the present multiple times in the anime, so it wouldn't really be a stretch to do something similar with the Hisuian forms.

I'm also still disappointed that Dawn's Quilava didn't evolve during the Arceus specials. It seemed like such a bizarre choice to leave it unevolved and do nothing with it when a new Typhlosion form was introduced. I don't think it would have been hard to find a way to justify why it evolved into an ancient Huisi form with or without time travel involved. It just seemed like such a huge waste to have a character with one of the starters from the games available and then do nothing with it.

Those Arceus specials were mis-marketed, but I don't think they did a crappy job.
I mean, it ended up promoting literally nothing other than the starters.

Because to properly cover the game plot and characters you'd need at least 20 episodes worth and obviously they're not going to distract 20 episodes away from the current show to do that. Have you played the game out of curiosity? The story has quite a bit of characters. Time traveling for 2 or so episodes isn't the same thing as a long period of eps
I haven’t, but I’ve read all the leaks and seen play throughs so I have a fairly good idea. Honestly, it’s pretty unrealistic to expect them to cover anything for 20+ episodes. Even SwSh gets bursts of 2-4 episode arcs and nothing more, and 90% of its characters and Pokemon are unadapted.

The realistic expectation (in line with other remakes and game plot adaptations) would be a 2/4 episode arc and there’s nothing preventing that other than the Amazon Prime special. Another reason I call it crappy is we won’t probably get a proper adaptation of the Arceus games. I’d love to be wrong on that though.

TL,DR: expecting them to cover any game for 20 episode stretches is unrealistic no matter what the game is, and a short arc would be perfectly realistic and feasible for the anime to do.

The reason I mention in a row is because Ash is not going to travel back and forth in time repeatedly of course, it would have to be a one and done arc. 4 episodes just wouldn't be enough to cover the games plot. There would be a ton of human characters excluded and there's quite a bit of focus on them.

It's basically a main series Pokémon game, and the anime usually uses 3 years to cover those games, but something like this can't be covered the same way due to it being 100 years or so in the past. I guess they'll just ignore it. The advertising window for the game is pretty much closing anyway and with Journey's continuing on as usual.

The reason I mention in a row is because Ash is not going to travel back and forth in time repeatedly of course, it would have to be a one and done arc. 4 episodes just wouldn't be enough to cover the games plot. There would be a ton of human characters excluded and there's quite a bit of focus on them.
That hasn't really stopped them from covering the game's plot before. I'd argue that the episodes for Lusamine's plot weren't enough to really do justice for that storyline either. They could still easily do something similar for Legends Arceus. I'm still in the middle of the game, so I haven't looked up what happens at the end yet and I do want to avoid spoilers still, but I don't think it would be impossible for them to adapt the climax somehow within a few episodes. It might not be effective or really do the game justice either, but I don't think that it would be impossible to for the anime to do something with the game either. Excluding important human characters also isn't unusual for the anime too, even if it might be more than usual in this case.

It's basically a main series Pokémon game, and the anime usually uses 3 years to cover those games, but something like this can't be covered the same way due to it being 100 years or so in the past. I guess they'll just ignore it. The advertising window for the game is pretty much closing anyway and with Journey's continuing on as usual.
Considering that they covered the climax of both Sun/Moo and Sword/Shield within the first year or so of their respective series, I don't think it's particularly accurate to say that the anime usually uses three years to cover the games. That used to be the case, but I don't think that has been entirely accurate since at least SM. The focus on Sword/Shield storyline and especially its characters has been pretty minimal too. So many new Pokemon and characters still haven't been featured in the anime.

The idea of the advertising window for the game is closing sounds so weird to me. Legends Arceus has barely been released for a couple of weeks now. It's still pretty fresh and plenty of the new forms, including the Hisuian starters, haven't been officially revealed with artwork yet. I don't think that the advertising window is closing that fast. They could easily do another Amazon Prime special or have episodes focused on the Hisui region/forms down the line, especially if we do get DLC for the game.

It's basically a main series Pokémon game, and the anime usually uses 3 years to cover those games, but something like this can't be covered the same way due to it being 100 years or so in the past.
So like how Sword & Shield, a traditional (!) main series game, has been covered & adapted these past two years in Journeys like its predecessors before it?

But the difference is they are covering it slowly but surely. They can't cover characters stuck 100 years in the past on a regular basis.

But the difference is they are covering it slowly but surely. They can't cover characters stuck 100 years in the past on a regular basis.
SM lacked most of the Totem Battles, significant mechanics to said games, that made up the bulk of progression within the games; as a result, the Island Challenge wasn’t even covered and was ultimately made moot by Kukui’s anyone-can-enter Pokemon League. We didn’t even get the Ultra Recon Squad at all. The expectation that game elements would 100% be covered in the main series anime adaption flew out the window when XYZ ended. Anything, for better or worse, is quite possible now.

While it would be weird to see a rival with a Wyrdeer or an arc about our heroes battling you know who from the game, it can be done, the anime has done crazier things in the past, and the game also has its own contrivances about how some things happen cough space time distorsions cough Emmetcough, so it's just a matter of interest.

The main problem is that game-anime synergy isn't as strong as before. They only care about BDSP and to a waaaay lesser extent SWSH, with SWSH DLC and Legends being left in the dust. And yes, I'm dismissing the special because a)how it premiered and b) how Legends elements were secondary to it, it may be as well be called an Arceus & Heatran special.

They could cover the climax alone for four episodes and it would be almost equal to the amount of coverage the main game of the generation got.

I'm not going to hold my breath for the anime to adapt PLA. The game has a more grey-and-grey morality compared to the anime's black-and-white morality. Should the anime adapt the game, Kamado would become a straight-up villain with no redeeming traits, Ash and Goh are never exiled, and win the trust of Jubilife Village right away, leading to all of them turning on Kamado when he gets paranoid, and the final phrase is rushed with Kamado's defeat and possible arrest along with stopping the rampage of whatever Legendary Pokémon involved being anti-climatic, with a possible deus-ex-machina involved.

This is a children only anime, after all.
SM lacked most of the Totem Battles, significant mechanics to said games, that made up the bulk of progression within the games; as a result, the Island Challenge wasn’t even covered and was ultimately made moot by Kukui’s anyone-can-enter Pokemon League. We didn’t even get the Ultra Recon Squad at all. The expectation that game elements would 100% be covered in the main series anime adaption flew out the window when XYZ ended. Anything, for better or worse, is quite possible now.
Best Wishes and X&Y didn't faithfully adapt the events of the games they promoted, either. Events that were caused by Team Plasma/Flare were instead removed or caused by the Team Rocket trio, the subplot with Emma wasn't adapted, and there should've been an arc involving Zinnia, with the climax of Ash riding Mega Rayquaza into space and battling Deoxys.
They could cover the climax alone for four episodes and it would be almost equal to the amount of coverage the main game of the generation got.
Two-to-four episodes to promote a game seems to be the norm these days, and even then, they're never faithful. In the games, Lusamine willingly merged herself with Nihilego, and Rose had genuinely good intentions. Here, Lusamine's fusion with Nihilego was against her will, and Rose is just a plain crook.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom