• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Goh's Grookey is the worst starter a main character has ever had in the anime?

Is Goh's Grookey the worst starter owned by a main character?

• Yes

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
It still irritates me that Grookey abusing that innocent Falinks caused problems that Goh outright blamed Ash for rather than Grookey.
This might be petty as shit, but I will never forgive Goh for that. He threw Ash under the bus just to not admit Grookey was in the wrong.

It still irritates me that Grookey abusing that innocent Falinks caused problems that Goh outright blamed Ash for rather than Grookey.

This might be petty as shit, but I will never forgive Goh for that. He threw Ash under the bus just to not admit Grookey was in the wrong.
Off the top of your heads, has Go ever actually admitted to Grookey being at fault for anything it’s done or has he always blamed someone else?

Off the top of your heads, has Go ever actually admitted to Grookey being in the wrong for anything it’s done or has he always blamed someone else?
He never has, though if I recall, he has in a recent episode at least TRIED to stop Grookey from causing any trouble. He has still yet to really admit Grookey was at fault though for any problems though.

He never has, though if I recall, he has in a recent episode at least TRIED to stop Grookey from causing any trouble. He has still yet to really admit Grookey was at fault though for any problems though.
Really gotta wonder if he realizes that there’s this neat invention that would be very useful in keeping it out of trouble called a pokeball. If it can’t stay out of trouble, it doesn’t get free roam privileges.

Really gotta wonder if he realizes that there’s this neat invention that would be very useful in keeping it out of trouble called a pokeball. If it can’t stay out of trouble, it doesn’t get free roam privileges.
I'm sure he does, but the writers have to have a shoulder warmer for Goh, hence why Grookey is out all the time. I mean, Goh's always gotta have at least one shoulder warmer and that's essentially one of Grookey's only purposes. The other being starting conflict for the episode. A Pokemon like Chespin even had more of a purpose than Grookey.

It was literally just spam Ember and bounce around. I question how a Pokemon like Raboot that had veeeeeery little battle experience could take down Milotic.
The answer is: it shouldn't have been able to. At all. A good example of Goh being a Mary Sue. Or deus ex machina. Take your pick. And he's trained Grookey about as well, which is to say, not at all.

And I thought Raboot was cool, too. There's just no logical way a Fire type at that level of training could beat a freakin' Milotic.
I usually don’t being competitive logic into the anime, but it was pretty surreal seeing a Raboot (an inexperienced Raboot at that) take down a milotic when I’m pretty sure I’ve had grass types succumbing when pitted against it on Showdown.

I usually don’t being competitive logic into the anime, but it was pretty surreal seeing a Raboot (an inexperienced Raboot at that) take down a milotic when I’m pretty sure I’ve had grass types succumbing when pitted against it on Showdown.
Especially with Ember of all moves. EMBER.

Really? Because with what he's done its easy to think otherwise. And even ifs thats true Ash was given plenty of shit back when he was a noob trainer, why does Goh get a free pass in the show?
No, Goh is still veeery much a rookie, greenhorn trainer who has gotten ridiculously lucky. And between him and Ash back in the day, they've given him more. Did Ash catch two freakin' Legendary Pokemon back in the day? Did he have two fully evolved starters, a Flygon, Scizor and god knows what else? No.

No, Goh is still veeery much a rookie, greenhorn trainer who has gotten ridiculously lucky. And between him and Ash back in the day, they've given him more. Did Ash catch two freakin' Legendary Pokemon back in the day? Did he have two fully evolved starters, a Flygon, Scizor and god knows what else? No.
Exactly. Goh gets ridiculously lucky for someone who is still a rookie. There seriously needs to be an episode where Goh fully realizes than he's not even ready for mew and all his accomplishments are just through his dumb luck and not his skill as a trainer.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom