• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN099: Mary of Spike Town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Ash really is winning, part of me does feel conflicted. First off, Gengar needed the win more than any Pokemon on Ash's team. So I'd be glad he won, but at the same time, Marnie kinda gets the short end of the stick. She debuts and is thrown into a loss and doesn't even get a big battle like Volkner and Bea got. Gengar winning is great, but Marnie also kinda deserves more.

Last edited:
To be fair I strongly suspect the show doesn't have STAB. I'm not sure if the mechanic was ever referenced and I feel like usually if two Pokémon know the same attack the one with the same type has no advantage, like Pikachu's Thunderbolt not seeming any stronger than Tyson's Meowth's.
Well, I meant it more in the sense of Gengar being part-Poison getting an acknowledgement. I just refer to it as STAB because I feel like it's easier and shorter than saying "Gengar should learn a Poison-type move because it is a Poison-type" every time.

I'd have been fine with the outcome if the match were a 3 vs 3 or 4 vs 4. But getting a 1 vs 1, Marnie losing and it being Gengar's comeback match is all the worst trifecta of circumstances.
It’s actually kinda insulting to both Marnie and Gengar when you think about it. For Marnie, she’s introduced so late only to be given a 1 v 1 and then, given these writers’ track record, promptly forgotten as if she’s a CotD and not an in-game rival and for Gengar, where it’s only allowed to win in basically a sudden death style battle where they’re gonna have to pull a new move out of their asses because it’s a total mismatch with Grimmsnarl with its current move set. Nobody wins in this scenario they’ve crafted.

It's so incredible to me how the writers have multiple choices to make and they somehow manage to always pick the worst ones every single time.

This is not going end well regardless of Ash winning or not, not only because of the battle in itself, but also because the writers fucked Gengar up since he first appeared.

It's so incredible to me how the writers have multiple choices to make and they somehow manage to always pick the worst ones every single time.

This is not going end well regardless of Ash winning or not, not only because of the battle in itself, but also because the writers fucked Gengar up since he first appeared.
This is why I stopped watching Pokémon.

It says a lot about our current situation when Gengar (and Sirfetch'd for that matter) are only allowed to win battles when it's One-on-One

Whenever there's a multi battle match, they always lose (and it's usually to make Pikachu or Lucario look better by comparison)[/Spoiler)

Does anyone know the source of this also?
I was looking for a source too, apparently one guy on serebii said it and people took it as fact. I've looked all over Japanese users on Twitter to see if they mentioned the outcome spoiled in the magazine but I didn't see anything. I mean the same outcome could very well happen anyway, but I wonder if the guy who posted it was just lying

G-Max Grimmsnarl confirmed

20220214_231949.jpg

I just realized this'll be the very FIRST time Ash wins using G-Max

And this gimmick has been a thing for 3 years now. How sad....

I just realized this'll be the very FIRST time Ash wins using G-Max

And this gimmick has been a thing for 3 years now. How sad....
Well to be fair it took even longer for him to win with mega evolution, so it's technically still middle for how long it took for him to with with a new battle gimmick. ;)
Ash-Greninja works distinctly enough from Mega Evolution in the games I don't think we can count it.

Well to be fair it took even longer for him to win with mega evolution, so it's technically still middle for how long it took for him to with with a new battle gimmick. ;)
Ash-Greninja works distinctly enough from Mega Evolution in the games I don't think we can count it.
To be fair, that's only if you start counting from the start of the generation that the battle gimmick was introduced in, instead of counting from the episode when Ash actually gets his hands on the new battle gimmick. In that sense, Mega Evolution would actually have the shortest gap between Ash getting access to it and Ash winning with it in an official battle, since Mega Lucario won in the exact same episode that it debuted in, right after the episode where Ash got his hands on the Mega Stone.

To be fair, that's only if you start counting from the start of the generation that the battle gimmick was introduced in, instead of counting from the episode when Ash actually gets his hands on the new battle gimmick. In that sense, Mega Evolution would actually have the shortest gap between Ash getting access to it and Ash winning with it in an official battle, since Mega Lucario won in the exact same episode that it debuted in, right after the episode where Ash got his hands on the Mega Stone.
By this train of thought, and if (!) Gengar wins in this ep, that means it took Ash a whooping 86 eps to win a battle with a Dynamax Band.

And not only is that way too long, but this is all if Gengar wins, since they could still very well have it take an L here.

I think I may know why they're having Marnie only showcase Grimmsnarl and Morpeko (and not Scrafty and Liepard)

I think the reason why they're having Marnie only showcase Grimmsnarl and Morpeko is solely because they're Galar Pokémon and let's face it. Galar needs all the showcasing it can get.

Liepard and Scrafty don't need to be out since they've been around since Gen 5 and they likely just want to focus on Grimmsnarl.

As for why she's not using Morpeko in battle?
Well Team Rocket already has one and the writers can just use them whenever they feel like it's necessary to show off Morpeko.

This is Grimmsnarl's very first debut however, so it desperately needs a lot more attention

20220216_183752.jpg

I really really hope Marnie's Morpeko can redeem the species for me

James' Morpeko is by FAR the most unlikable ass Pokémon we've ever had on the cast to date

Last edited:
I think I may know why they're having Marnie only showcase Grimmsnarl and Morpeko (and not Scrafty and Liepard)

I think the reason why they're having Marnie only showcase Grimmsnarl and Morpeko is solely because they're Galar Pokémon and let's face it. Galar needs all the showcasing it can get.

Liepard and Scrafty don't need to be out since they've been around since Gen 5 and they likely just want to focus on Grimmsnarl.

Well it's like you said, Team Rocket already has one and the writers can just use them whenever they feel like it's necessary to show off Morpeko.

This is Grimmsnarl's very first debut however, so it desperately needs a lot more attention
Grimmsnarl is also Marnie's Gigantamax Pokémon, so it makes sense for her to use it against Ash in a location where Dynamaxing is possible.

Well it's like you said, Team Rocket already has one and the writers can just use them whenever they feel like it's necessary to show off Morpeko.

View attachment 155794

I really really hope Marnie's Morpeko can redeem the species for me

James' Morpeko is by FAR the most unlikable ass Pokémon we've ever had on the cast to date
Marnie didn't blush at Ash yet, but don't worry they'll be jealousy bait for her, she may come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom