• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you think Goh's Grookey is the worst starter a main character has ever had in the anime?

Is Goh's Grookey the worst starter owned by a main character?

• Yes

Votes: 45 80.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters
Really? Because with what he's done its easy to think otherwise. And even ifs thats true Ash was given plenty of shit back when he was a noob trainer, why does Goh get a free pass in the show?
The power of being a writer’s pet. They get everything handed to them easily and get a free pass at everything.

Exactly. Goh gets ridiculously lucky for someone who is still a rookie. There seriously needs to be an episode where Goh fully realizes than he's not even ready for mew and all his accomplishments are just through his dumb luck and not his skill as a trainer.
So far, I don't think he's even realized just how damn lucky he is.

As goofy as the current episode was, I noticed how much Grookey loved the rap battle, it shows that he might be interested in music after this, especially if he enjoys Piers's music in the next few episodes

Guys the Grookey Evolution episode on the horizon!

My only contribution to this discussion would be: People are really exaggerate Grookey's antics. He doesn't hit people's heads all the time.

My only contribution to this discussion would be: People are really exaggerate Grookey's antics. He doesn't hit people's heads all the time.
It’s really not an exaggeration in the least. Grookey has only 2 modes: shoulder warmer and pest gag. The majority of the time that it’s not just sitting there, it’s causing some kind of problem. Numerous episodes have either had their plot halted or had a problem within the episode caused by Grookey. As the phrase goes, once is a chance, twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern. And it’s been much more than 3 times now.

It’s really not an exaggeration in the least. Grookey has only 2 modes: shoulder warmer and pest gag. The majority of the time that it’s not just sitting there, it’s causing some kind of problem. Numerous episodes have either had their plot halted or had a problem within the episode caused by Grookey. As the phrase goes, once is a chance, twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern. And it’s been much more than 3 times now.
From my last view:

90 percent shoulder warmer
9 percent playing round
1 percent hitting people

From my last view:

90 percent shoulder warmer
9 percent playing round
1 percent hitting people
That still doesn't helps your argument tho. So that means that, whenever Grookey is not being completely useless as the last word in fashion accessories in Goh's outfits, he's causing trouble for other people and Pokémon, and the worst part: not suffering any sort of consequences from it.

That still doesn't helps your argument tho
How so? My argument is that people exaggerate few times of Grookey's misbehavior as if he's a bully that always hit others. This is very much untrue.

How so? My argument is that people exaggerate few times of Grookey's misbehavior as if he's a bully that always hit others. This is very much untrue.
I mean, it’s more likely to stick in people's head if it’s used to kick start a bunch of episode plots. Grookey's misbehaviour is more prominently remembered than it being a shoulder warmer because that’s the only time it’s doing something.

The audience will remember a character's negative moments if those are the only ones it’s in focus or is the catalyst for multiple episodes.

I don't know whether I find it hilarious or sad that people are celebrating the fact it's finally shown using a move nearly 40 episodes after it's debut

https://twitter.com/ThePokeRaf/status/1494848713025536000?t=zXuYjdJhQl_WMdfnbGgVyQ&s=19

Imo Grookey finally using a single Branch Poke in a filler episode is not a celebration for me.

This is the fucking basic fundamentals of Pokémon that should happened AGES ago

All that goes through my mind is just.
"Welp better late than never I guess :notworthy:"

I don't know whether I find it hilarious or sad that people are celebrating the fact it's finally shown using a move nearly 40 episodes after it's debut

https://twitter.com/ThePokeRaf/status/1494848713025536000?t=zXuYjdJhQl_WMdfnbGgVyQ&s=19

Imo Grookey finally using a single Branch Poke in a filler episode is not a celebration for me.

As I said in an earlier post, again, it's so pathetic that's it's funny in a sad, sad, way.

Wow. First move it ever used and it was in a filler episode. And it took 39 episodes for this to happen. The hell is this.

JN has a way of wanting us to be happy to get the barest minimum and this bothers me a lot.

Raf might have been sarcastic with his congratulations. I could be wrong with that interpretation, but I think he was being sarcastic.

That being said, it's about time Grookey used a battle move. It's embarrassing that it took this long and it happened in a filler episode, but it's about time. Now maybe it'll start using battle moves more often.

Maybe.

It’s honestly sad how low the bar has been set that it doing something basic is deemed something to celebrate.

As I've said in another post, I'm gonna hold out hope for this series 'till the end, they may just surprise me yet. But, I think the sooner Goh and all of his annoyances (including Grookey) are gone, the better.
That's one reason why I honestly hope Gen 9 is this year or early 2023. Sadly it seems more likely we won't get Gen 9 until late 2023, which means Journeys of all series would be the one to get stretched out to 4 years. I just want to move onto the next series already.

As I've said in another post, I'm gonna hold out hope for this series 'till the end, they may just surprise me yet. But, I think the sooner Goh and all of his annoyances (including Grookey) are gone, the better.
Unless they age Ash or drop him as a MC and have competent writing (which likely isn’t happening) the hope I have for this series is completely gone. I won’t even watch for Cramorant anymore.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom