• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN099: Mary of Spike Town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can believe it honestly. Look at his win vs Visquez; he just freezes Raichu in the air, squishes and stretches it a bit, then crashes it against a wall for the KO. Move's portrayal is just overpowered.

Heck even as a fanfic writer Psychic is a pain in the neck to deal with.
I feel like the problem lies with how Psychic is portrayed rather than the move itself. Originally, as in the by the games, Psychic has always been a strong, tangible telekinetic blast of pure energy rather than a form of telekinesis (which given the introduction of the actual move Telekinesis, has become ever odd). A blast of energy is as easy to deal with as Thunderbolt or Flamethrower, in my opinion. If the writers/whomever characterized Psychic (and by extension, Confusion) properly, there wouldn't be any concerns to how OP it could be. What should be addressed is a proper distinction between Confusion/Psychic and Telekinesis.

I feel like the problem lies with how Psychic is portrayed rather than the move itself. Originally, as in the by the games, Psychic has always been a strong, tangible telekinetic blast of pure energy rather than a form of telekinesis (which given the introduction of the actual move Telekinesis, has become ever odd). A blast of energy is as easy to deal with as Thunderbolt or Flamethrower, in my opinion. If the writers/whomever characterized Psychic (and by extension, Confusion) properly, there wouldn't be any concerns to how OP it could be. What should be addressed is a proper distinction between Confusion/Psychic and Telekinesis.
While I'm not sure if I agree with this or not, I'd just like to add that the one instance in the anime when Psychic was an offensive move instead of a telekinetic one (Ash's battle with Tyson in the Hoenn League) seems quite... different compared to most instances of it being used in the show.

While I'm not sure if I agree with this or not, I'd just like to add that the one instance in the anime when Psychic was an offensive move instead of a telekinetic one (Ash's battle with Tyson in the Hoenn League) seems quite... different compared to most instances of it being used in the show.
There was also the contest battle between May's Beautifly and Zoey's Glameow; there the former used Psychic more like a generic blast of energy than telekinesis. I have no idea why this portrayal didn't become the norm, though. If I were to make a guess it's because either the writers/animators/whoever just feel like the telekinetic protrayal has been the staple for too long to truly change that drastically, or it's an attempt to make Psychic more unique when compared to the other staple long-range attacks like Flamethrower, Ice Beam, and Thunderbolt.

Psychic's name and description are so vague that it leads to many interpretations.
Mine is a kind of pulse that is shot towards the opponent, causing some contorting and sometimes leaving it a bit numb.

I also think that it being a kind of blast or shock suits it better for the anime.
But that makes the issue regarding its side effect hard to apply.
The decrease on Special Defense implies that it, somehow, affects the body of the target.

Still I can relent and accept that Gengar will forget it, since Dazzling Gleam is more convenient.

Edit: Its Japanese name being Psychokinesis, which is another vague term used as a synonym for Telekinesis doesn't help at all.

Last edited:
if loses to marnie what are your hopes and predictions?

what would be your ideal episode for ash to get into the master class and what episode to face leon? if loses to marnie will you expect more training episodes and less filler? if ash loses to marnie will you expect him to rematch marnie ultra or master class? how much would ash's rank go down? do you hope there will be gengar gmax training? and if ash loses do you think he’ll win a match or two offscreen to catch up?

I just remembered that we've had another moveset update a while ago, when Lucario learned Steel Beam during the battle against Bea's Machamp. And yet, that somehow wasn't leaked in the special segment that also leaked Gengar getting Dazzling Gleam, even though Lucario learning Steel Beam happened way before this episode. Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom