• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN101: One Stick, Bachinkey!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Games I strongly disagree. It's one of the Strongest Starters competitively
I was taking in terms of design.

That's why I disliked the line at first sight.

The anime just made me despise it.

I’m guessing it’ll be somewhat like Sobble. Sees Rillaboom in JN099 and then Thwackey in JN101, now it gets inspired to start working towards its evolutions.

It’s shoulder-mon status will be passed on to Kubfu, probably. Tsurugi and Asuhi both have Urshifus, so him getting Kubfu and then seeing the differences between their abilities and personalities makes sense to me.
That just feels like an insult to have a legendary Pokémon demoted to shoulder warmer. Sure we had Shaymin with Mallow but even then, they don’t even achieve their real combat abilities until they gain their Sky Form.

Kubfu itself might be too big for a shouldermon though. All the shoulder mons so far (Sobble, Pikachu and Grookey) have been small.

Kubfu's height: 2 m/0.6
Grookey: 1 m/0.3
Pikachu: 1.4/0.4
Sobble - Same height as Grookey
And its kinda funny, since you literally wouldn't expect it, but Toxel is bigger than Grookey and Sobble and the same height as Pikachu.

People mention the likes of Shaymin i see, but i don't classify Shaymin as a shouldermon, considering it hardly sat on her shoulder. Its a travel companion like Piplup and Fennekin more than an actual shouldermon.

I saw the thread title for this as I was scrolling another section and let out a gasp - they couldn’t possibly evolve Grookey now after a big heap of doing nothing; even Sobble got more than that.

I’m glad I was wrong. I’m looking forward to seeing Thwackey in an animated capacity.

I don't think Grookey is evolving here, usually pokemon don't evolve in the same eps they meet their evolutions. But it's probably set up to evolve in the future.

Dude, most of the evolutions this series aren't. ESPECIALLY when it comes to Goh...
I dunno about that. Prior to Journey, it was a rarity that there was an undeserved evolution. Ever since Go showed up, it’s rare to find one with him that is. Dude rarely trains his Pokémon and yet evolutions are handed out to him like they’re going out of style.

Would be nice if Grookey would evolve all the way to Rillaboom as we haven't had a series where all the regional starters caught by a main character fully evolved
Now if only it were a case where it was actually belonging to someone who actually worked for what they got rather than just being a writer’s pet. Kinda deflates the whole thing when it doesn’t feel earned nor do they belong to some who will actually make use of them in any engaging way.

Kubfu itself might be too big for a shouldermon though. All the shoulder mons so far (Sobble, Pikachu and Grookey) have been small.

Kubfu's height: 2 m/0.6
Grookey: 1 m/0.3
Pikachu: 1.4/0.4
Sobble - Same height as Grookey
And its kinda funny, since you literally wouldn't expect it, but Toxel is bigger than Grookey and Sobble and the same height as Pikachu.

People mention the likes of Shaymin i see, but i don't classify Shaymin as a shouldermon, considering it hardly sat on her shoulder. Its a travel companion like Piplup and Fennekin more than an actual shouldermon.
In game heights don’t really translate well to the anime. There’s a huge variation now in the games itself, and the anime tends to take creative liberties. See: how large Charizard is depicted to be.

I present to you Brock's Lotad. It evolved after falling down a well.
It did something before evolving… Drizzile didn’t even appear again till it was its turn to become an Inteleon.

I don't really recall Lotad doing much besides using water gun against TR once or twice. Not that it really matters, but Pokemon evolving after doing very little has always been a thing.

I'm 99% they will fully evolve Grookey, this will either be the prelude to it or it's gonna evolve in this ep.

Goh doesn't deserves to be the first person to have a fully evolved starter trio. Yet another thing he's gonna get gifted by not doing anything to earn it.
One of the reasons I despise him, I haven't hated a companion as much as him since Iris and Max (and he annoyingly reminds me of the latter in some ways, too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom