• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

Now with Greninja confirmed if Ash vs Alain with AG vs MCX doesn’t happen it will be a huge misopportunity. I don’t care if it’s an unofficial battle it will at least make up a little for the Kalos League.
Honestly I think Greninja might be Infernaped and they’ll cram it and Clemont and Bonnie into one episode
If AG proves it’s worth in the master class it will be half worth it because something is still missing: Ash needs to beat Alain

Now with Greninja confirmed if Ash vs Alain with AG vs MCX doesn’t happen it will be a huge misopportunity. I don’t care if it’s an unofficial battle it will at least make up a little for the Kalos League.
Honestly I think Greninja might be Infernaped and they’ll cram it and Clemont and Bonnie into one episode
If AG proves it’s worth in the master class it will be half worth it because something is still missing: Ash needs to beat Alain
I think that you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. There's no sign of Alain appearing and even if there was, defeating Alain with Ash-Greninja wouldn't make up for the Kalos League. It wouldn't change the outcome, it would suddenly make Ash the Kalos League Champion and winning wouldn't suddenly prove its worth. It already did that through battles before and after Greninja evolved. Defeating Alain is not going to mean anything at this point.

It's also rather strange to me that people still get upset over how Infernape was handled. It still feels like that's more of an issue of the marketing and/or fans having such huge expectations for its return rather than Journeys treating it poorly.

There's no sign of Alain appearing and even if there was, defeating Alain with Ash-Greninja wouldn't make up for the Kalos League. It wouldn't change the outcome, it would suddenly make Ash the Kalos League Champion and winning wouldn't suddenly prove its worth.
As much as I doubt Alain is coming back I don't see this as a reason not to let Ash beat him at some point: Ash beating Gary, Paul, and Trip in the leagues didn't change the outcome of their earlier battles or make Ash the winner of the junior tournament either.

Edit: I mean honestly I do understand where cricketlaxwolvesbandy is coming from; Greninja being the only ace that couldn't overcome their rival after all the buildup they got still feels like he got kind of a raw deal compared to Infernape, Lycanroc, or Torracat.

I'll try to do one for each series
OS Kanto - Misty and Brock aren't that great and nostalgia benefits them a lot
OS Johto - Gary wasn't a good rival and Harrison was even better lol
AG(including BF) - might be the best series beginning to end as in terms of pacing and development and etc as other series have large fillers and such and it ends with Ash winning something and May beating her rival
DP - Ash’s Infernape shouldn't have been Ash’s ace in DP
BW - Iris and Cilan we're great if not the best companions just Ash and etc weren't at their best which makes them look worse
XY - Serena wasn't that interesting and her having an open crush got old and a little weird
XY - Ash wasn't as strong and competent as people make him out to be
SM - Had the great balance of caring for the other characters as they all had a few episodes of focus and still having the similar spirit of old Pokemon series with the training and such
SM - oh and Z moves are the best mechanic at least in the way it was handled
JN - Goh is fun, Chloe is boring, the series is enjoyable but it doesn't benefit from the weekly release format as it heightens the negatives like the stretch where Ash wasn't doing much

As much as I doubt Alain is coming back I don't see this as a reason not to let Ash beat him at some point: Ash beating Gary, Paul, and Trip in the leagues didn't change the outcome of their earlier battles or make Ash the winner of the junior tournament either.
The difference is that Ash eventually defeated those rivals in their respective leagues. They didn't go out of their way to bring them back years later just to resolve the rivalry or allow Ash to finally defeat them. Plus, I just disagree with the idea that it would make up for the Kalos League in general. Ash defeating his rivals before didn't change the outcomes of their earlier battles, but that wasn't the point since those were supposed to be his last major confrontations with those characters. The idea that Ash defeating Alain would even slightly make up for the Kalos League is the opposite.

Edit: I mean honestly I do understand where cricketlaxwolvesbandy is coming from; Greninja being the only ace that couldn't overcome their rival after all the buildup they got still feels like he got kind of a raw deal compared to Infernape, Lycanroc, or Torracat.
I understand that as well. Greninja really didn't get a satisfying climactic battle compared to other ace Pokemon and I can understand why that would still leave a sour taste for fans even after all this time. My issues are that I don't think the victory would mean anything at this point and Greninja doesn't have to defeat Mega Charizard X to prove its worth.

What's the point of bringing Paul back? Of ALL characters to return that Ash had a rivalry with, Paul shouldn't have been one. Heck, Ritchie would have made more sense, since Ash has never actually won against him.

I just hope that Paul doesn't go back to being "better" than Ash for no reason and steals Greninja away as payback for Chimchar.

Basing this off what?
I've noticed that people view XY Ash as this pinnacle of strength, most serious, champion-level tier, shonen protagonist, and is leaps and bounds over any other version of Ash

Where I just think he was still the same for the most part
he was still the silly, stupid/dumb, headstrong, etc...
And battle wise he obviously had his moments but I wouldn't say more than AG, DP, SM, etc...

Essentially I think people over value what he did in XY whether because of visuals or league placement or etc

Hope that make sense

True but from the damage he took from Pikachu pre mega and Greninja post mega. The fact he not only no selled that last attack from Ash-Greninja but he also looked like he didn't take any damage at the end is kinda BS.
I haven't been active for like more than two weeks but didn't Greninja took 3 (or more) Dragon Claws and yet still kept going? (I might remember the fight wrong though, feel free to correct me)

I haven't been active for like more than two weeks but didn't Greninja took 3 (or more) Dragon Claws and yet still kept going? (I might remember the fight wrong though, feel free to correct me)
I think it was only one. Two at the most.
Greninja took three-four attacks (which is low for anime standards) before fainting
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower
Blast Burn

Greninja took three-four attacks (which is low for anime standards) before fainting
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower
Blast Burn
I know Anime and Games are different but Greninja has low defences, maybe it has to do with him being like Pikachu (by that I mean a glass cannon like Pikachu)?

Dragon Claw
Flamethrower
Blast Burn
Meanwhile that OP Mega Charizard X took a Quick Attack, a Thunderbolt, two hits from Aerial Ace, a Water Shuriken, and that mega Water Shuriken. Yet it had essentially no scratches or anything. That was pretty ridiculous.

Meanwhile that OP Mega Charizard X took a Quick Attack, a Thunderbolt, two hits from Aerial Ace, a Water Shuriken, and that mega Water Shuriken. Yet it had essentially no scratches or anything. That was pretty ridiculous.
I was always under the impression that it took two separate Thunderbolts given that Pikachu and Charizard are animated differently in both executions of the move, as well as there being a notable pause between the Pokémon and their Trainers after the first one. Which made Alain's Charizard even more egregious to me.

I was always under the impression that it took two separate Thunderbolts given that Pikachu and Charizard are animated differently in both executions of the move, as well as there being a notable pause between the Pokémon and their Trainers after the first one. Which made Alain's Charizard even more egregious to me.
I could be wrong, but if Charizard did take two separate super effective Thunderbolts from Pikachu, that just makes it even worse. That thing could have taken 6 attacks and it didn't have a scratch. That is just absurd.

I still think Ash is staying on for Gen 9 and quite frankly the whole "Is this Ash's final series?" thing should be the one to retire.

Every time whenever a series nears the end nowadays people have gone on about him potentially leaving the show and it never means anything.

People said he'd leave during D&P and he still stayed on. They'd say S&M would be his last if he won a league and look what happened.

As much as Journeys is hyping Ash up to be this big unstoppable trainer, what's to say they won't have him start from scratch again whether he wins against Leon, loses to him or even in the most unlikely scenario, ties? He is the anime's main face after all and if they did plan for him to leave I'm sure we'd have heard something from Rica or someone else by now.

Back
Top Bottom