• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What DON'T You Want To See In Gen IX?

Impy

Greedy Capitalist
Reaction score
we're getting lots of discussion about what people want out of scarlet & violet, but not a whole lot about what they wouldn't
go ahead and take a moment in this thread to tell everyone what features or gimmicks you don't want to return
let the world know that maybe you don't really desire those things everyone is foaming at the mouth for
no take is too controversial

please be nice to each other

From the top of my head:
  • Don't strip down the Battle Tower any further. It's bad enough you took away multi battles. Stop taking away options for our post game!
  • 20 minute singles battle timer. Many people don't think it's enough to finish a 6v6 battle.
  • Stop thinking you have to dumb down the games in order for children to enjoy them. Kids are smarter than you give them credit for!
  • Don't rely on nostalgia like Gen 1 pandering to sell the games.
  • Don't make the battling, catching, and trading the only in-depth activities for our Pokémon to participate in (and don't dumb down previous side activities like with what you made ILCA do to the Super Contests of BDSP).
Basically, all that boils down to this: Stop cutting corners by constantly taking away features and content!! :annoyedVoltorb:

Last edited:
Mainly bad textures but I guess there's no hope with that.

Stop thinking you have to dumb down the games in order for children to enjoy them. Kids are smarter than you give them credit for!
Yeah, this is one of the things i dislike the most with current Gamefreak, like they think kids are stupid or something. And if they don't, they sure seem to not think very highly of them in terms of their intelect what with recent games going out of their way to reduce difficulty that wasn't very high to begin with.

And yes, kids are smarter than what people give them credit for. Some games i tried in recent times are noticeably harder as an adult compared to when i was a kid (Super Mario Bros 3 for an example). I remember hardly ever struggling with these games back then, but now they seem just harder for some reason. Either age is catching up with me (and i'm not even old) or kids are better at games than what Gamefreak thinks they actually are.

• Just please stop with the Kanto pandering, I'm sick of seeing Pikachu, Eevee, Meowth. Charizard and a few more everywhere and even in Pikachu's case, manufacturing popularity in games (a Pokédex entry for Raichu says it's seldom seen anymore, possibly implying it's an endangered species cause of Pikachu's "popularity"). Though judging by Meowth's zoom in the trailer, this is already happening.
  • A character or champion like Leon. While I like Leon's battle, I hated his character since all it was "I don't lose" or "I get lost after one step."
  • If Gyms return again, no Water or Electric reps. We already have enough, there is a Water type rep battle in every game in the series (excluding Legends since I haven't played it but I also doubt it there).
  • Forgetting other regions, I hate how some regions are favor while others are love even with the heavy Kanto love. Johto is constantly forgotten and just blended into Kanto stuff (you can literally find text in Gen 7 that the Johto landmarks in Alola make Kanto people feel more at home) and even Sinnoh, who just got two big games still has yet to receive a regional variant even in Legends where it would make sense!
  • No gimmicks like Megas, Z-Moves, or Dynamaxing. I don't want to be like Yu-Gi-Oh where we're going to be at the point we have so many gimmicks with have to fused them together.
  • Two versions, while it is technically confirmed there will be two versions. I still have a small hope that there won't be two versions and that it's just one game with two names for brand recognition/old time's sake.
  • No Team Flare, USUM Lusamine, or Rose like villains. They always frame them like they're doing the right thing but going too far but it's been a while since we've have a decent villain or just antagonist in general in the main variations of the Pokémon games. Heck another N like antagonist would be nice. Also antagonist does not mean villain, but GameFreak seems to blur the lines too much in recent games.

• Continuing degradation of content and features because of "high quality models" (read: the graphics take more effort and we couldn't be bothered to increase our staff or development time to make the games better because we want more money so we just cut content instead).
  • A small regional dex lacking variety. I don't want any more Flint situations. The regional dex should be at least 300 to avoid those kinds of issues.
  • Continuing exclusion of Pokemon that weren't in Gen 8. I don't want to have to wait 3000 years to use my Zebstrika or Eelektross again because they want to forget about them.
  • More Kanto pandering.
  • Minimal amount of field abilities. There should at least be equivalent abilities for Surfing, Flying, Climbing, and Strength.
  • Forcing us to use random NPC Pokemon for Ride Pokemon. Let us use our own Pokemon instead of trying to force a connection with random ones we can't battle with.
  • Fixed progression. This is an open world game, let us do things in whatever order we want.
  • The continued removal of abilities and breeding.
  • Villains with nonsensical motives like USUM Lusamine or Rose. SM Lusamine is fine because she was intentionally portrayed as insane, USUM Lusamine and Rose were just because of poor writing.
I might think of more later.

Last edited:
Let's not dumb down the game, like a lot of people say. Do keep the Exp Share as an option, though - as I'd like to experiment raising different Pokemon.

I'd prefer Megas returning, to be honest, and for that I wouldn't mind doing away with Gigantamax.

Also, I'd prefer if we gradually stop relying on single battles for the majority of the games, or at least for later badges. Give us more double battles as a taste of VGCs.

Finally I also don't want a difficulty curve jumping up and down like BDSP. Man, gym leaders being too easy and the league being thr opposite doesn't sound like good design.

Also, I'd prefer if we gradually stop relying on single battles for the majority of the games, or at least for later badges. Give us more double battles as a taste of VGCs.
my eyes practically rolled out of my skull at “stop relying on single battles” but then i remembered how cool the psychic gym leader twins from RSE were. i wouldn’t want the majority of battles to be anything other than singles but i would love more doubles, i think

my eyes practically rolled out of my skull at “stop relying on single battles” but then i remembered how cool the psychic gym leader twins from RSE were. i wouldn’t want the majority of battles to be anything other than singles but i would love more doubles, i think
A missed opportunity in Gen V was not having a Gym Leader fight you in a Triple or Rotation Battle.

A missed opportunity in Gen V was not having a Gym Leader fight you in a Triple or Rotation Battle.
It doesn’t help matters that they removed those modes in Gen 7 for understandable reasons, but didn’t even bother to bring them back for Gen 8. Also, why were Inverse Battles severely underutilized in Gen 6 and then just suddenly dropped the very next generation?

Tbh I want them to move on from gyms, at least the monotype ones we’ve got now. Sword and shield was the best version of them, both with the atmosphere and the leaders and a lot of past gyms just blend together imo. I’d just like a revamp of the concept, or if it’s open world maybe being able to challenge them in any order?

I don't want to see Mega Evolutions.
I don't want to see a late game dragon or ice type gym leader (if there are gyms). We're long overdue for early dragon and ice gyms.
I don't want the gym challenge (if there is one) to go back to being something only the main character and maybe a rival cares about. Galar was great for creating a world where the gym challenge mattered, though I don't want a direct repeat.
I don't want to see the same bosses in each game. Whether the bosses are gyms, trials, nobles, I don't care, just please continue on from what SwSh did and expand upon it and create different bosses per game. Honestly, it's shocking that it took so long to actually get different typed gym leaders across the games. It would be a huge letdown and a leap backward to go back to having the same bosses in both games after SwSh showed that having different leaders is possible.
I don't want to see any Kanto pandering.

There's a reason I have personally never played nor wanted to play Colosseum/XD, and a reason why I don't enjoy battling Tate/Liza or Raihan. I have honestly never enjoyed double battles and if any mainline game forces me into it for too long then I'll just scurry back to PMD games yet again and save my money for another time. I don't involve myself in the VGC crowd, why would I have reason to put myself through "involuntary preparations" when I have no interest in competing?

Sorry, but no, this suggestion is one thing I don't want to see.

all my homies hate charizard i guess
(Justice for my boy!!!! :cry:) In all seriousness, though, I'm well aware of how overrated Charizard is, but he'll always have a special place in my heart nonetheless as my favorite Pokemon of them all. My inner dragon fan won't have it any other way. :D
Raid battles or anything like them where you rely on idiot AI controlled players.
I hope Raid Battles are gone for good.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom