• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN105: Eievui and Nymphia! Encounters and Reunions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't an a roadblock to her returning, but it is an obstacle the writers will have to write around.
I don't think I'd describe it as an obstacle exactly either. I've seen people for awhile saying that the kiss would prevent her from returning, but I don't think it would really be that hard to not address it. I just think fans made too much of a big deal about the kiss in general in regards to Serena's return.

I'm suspecting she might only be in the episode briefly with a more advertised larger appearance later. She may not even reunite with Ash yet.
That would make sense. It could explain why they didn't promote this episode more heavily like they have for some of the other character return episodes. There would already be quite a bit going on in this episode with Lisia's debut and Chloe trying out Contests, so giving a little tease for Serena to have a more proper return later on would kind of fit.

As for Serena's new outfit, I like it. I never really had a problem with her second outfit. I thought it was fine. I'm just kind of glad that they didn't just go back to her default outfit and call it a day.

I mean, I get it, but maybe that's why I don't like it: because it looks like something I would've worn in middle school trying to be "fashionable" :ROFLMAO: Her first outfit was so cute, one of my favorites of any of the female characters in fact, so just looks wise, the second one paled in comparison.

The choppy haircut I can forgive a little more because in reality, if a 10 year old is cutting her own hair, it's gonna look terrible. But it honestly looks so much better and more appealing cleaned up in the new art. I'd like to think that maybe this combination of things means Serena is going to come back more refined and sure of herself, and people can stop equating her to nothing more than a girl with googly eyes for Ash.
That's hard when most of the discussion I seen are people speculating wether the kiss would be reference or not. Or wether she still has a crush on ash.

I mean, I get it, but maybe that's why I don't like it: because it looks like something I would've worn in middle school trying to be "fashionable" :ROFLMAO: Her first outfit was so cute, one of my favorites of any of the female characters in fact, so just looks wise, the second one paled in comparison.

The choppy haircut I can forgive a little more because in reality, if a 10 year old is cutting her own hair, it's gonna look terrible. But it honestly looks so much better and more appealing cleaned up in the new art. I'd like to think that maybe this combination of things means Serena is going to come back more refined and sure of herself, and people can stop equating her to nothing more than a girl with googly eyes for Ash.
It's honestly jarring how much I've seen people insult the old outfit. I assumed alot of people liked it. I genuinely thought it was cute....
Guess that speaks for my fashion sense lol
But yeah her new outfit is amazing

Well! Looked what happened while I was at work...o_O

Though I repeat what I asked earlier: WHAT can she even do in a crowded, busy stand alone episode? :confused_emoji:

I just KNOW she won't get to see Ash since he'll be battling Wallace on the other side of the plot...

I just find it funny that Serena is returning only to get overshadowed by Lisia, Wallace, and Steven
And she stole Team Rocket's 25th Anniversary from them, so it evens out. :p

Last edited:
It's about freaking time!

After lacking a cameo in her succeeding saga and her own special side story episode, as well as nary a mention or even a flashback, Serena is finally gracing the anime once again!

I can now say the writers knew exactly what they were doing with this title and the parts they chose to reveal within the preview; if they were trying to sow discord within older fans, then I would say mission accomplished. Serena was/is clearly meant to be some sort of surprise or tease for another episode to come, I'm sure. And I don't mind that - I won't be upset with what we get on Friday if it's small, if that's only the build up to a quality episode with her down the road. Which, I'm sure they'd do as it'd be very unorthodox, even for Journeys, for the writers to go out of their way to give Serena a new design, have her feature in this saga's first (and maybe only Contest episode), wait this long to have her return, among other things, just for only a minute of screentime and nothing else. Earlier, I made a post about my heart knowing this was her episode but my mind disagreeing - whelp, I'm glad one of them was right! XD And kudos to everyone else throughout the past several months who also argued that Koharu's Eeveelution tour's Sylveon would be with Serena's; it just made too much sense not to, especially given all the returning characters we are having, and would have been a huge missed opportunity not to do it.

If you know me, you know I've been very vocal in this section on her return in Journeys, as well as in general. So, I am freaking ecstatic she's finally coming back! She's my favorite female protagonist and this has been exceedingly overdue. I'm super curious to hear what she's been up to, any team changes she has made, what experiences she has had, and overall where she is as a person who has struck out on her own for the past several years our time. I also am eager to see her and Koharu bond over their similar experiences. And I for one, love her new design - I think her hair is my favorite iteration to date that she's had; it's like a combination of her first and second hairstyles. I see where people are coming from with the dissenting comments on the prevailing gray in her outfit, and it is certainly different from every other protagonist barring Go, but I think it's a bit fitting since Serena has always favored black and gray within her casual outfits, as well as her Performing one. The sleeveless sweater is also unique to her among the female protagonists, which I think is pretty cool. Which makes me appreciate the writers as they are maintaining Serena's hobby and penchant for fashion, as well as honoring her game's roots as the outfit can actually be worn by players. Her lacking Ash's ribbon (from what we can see) also feels pretty significant.

And I'm also glad that we can finally put the "Serena can't come back because of that kiss" argument to bed; she's so much more than that and I was always confident the writers could "write around it" assuming they even acknowledge it all. I still can't believe we'll see her in several days in some capacity, wow.

I mean, I get it, but maybe that's why I don't like it: because it looks like something I would've worn in middle school trying to be "fashionable" :ROFLMAO: Her first outfit was so cute, one of my favorites of any of the female characters in fact, so just looks wise, the second one paled in comparison. The choppy haircut I can forgive a little more because in reality, if a 10 year old is cutting her own hair, it's gonna look terrible. But it honestly looks so much better and more appealing cleaned up in the new art.

I really like Serena's visual style and official outfit in the games and in the game's promotional art. However, I didn't think the original outfit matched so well in the anime version, in which, as I can say, the protagonist looks younger and less mature in certain physical aspects.

To be honest, at first, I assume that her second outfit was weird too. But, after a few episodes, it seemed to me suit very well with the character, who seemed, emotionally and physically, to be happier and freer, that is, unimpeded by ordinary constraints and expectations, ready to try herself, expose her vision and opinions, as well as acting in accordance with her beliefs.

I don't think Serena was naive enough to believe that her attire was "fashionable". She was aware of her own limitations, as well as she knew that, at that moment, that was the best self-expression that she was able to achieve and that she should not be ashamed of being herself.

OBS: Looking at the image again, I have to agree that her hair and face received positive increments. In a way, I'm surprised, because Serena's semblance look a little more grown up and full-blown than when she last appeared, which is a quite contrast to what the anime has done to Ash and other characters.

I'd like to think that maybe this combination of things means Serena is going to come back more refined and sure of herself, and people can stop equating her to nothing more than a girl with googly eyes for Ash.

People often point to the her's feelings for Ash as one of her weaknesses and as one of the limiting factors in the character's development. But, well, I think that, to some extent, it might be the other way around.

It's not easy to expose yourself emotionally, especially when you don't know if the feeling is reciprocal and if the other will be receptive. But despite this difficulty and the challenge of assuming such an attitude, Serena did it.

When the Pokégirl steps off the plane in Hoenn, we are pleased to see the satisfaction in her face. That is the satisfaction of an accomplished person, of a person who gives her best, of a person able to bring out herself, convey what feels and act according to what believes, knowing that, for her part, she has done everything in her power and that her journey does not come to an end, but continues, now, in a different place.

Honestly, Serena bid farewell to the series much more developed than most people assume, if not more mature than most of us.

Last edited:
So... that only leaves May and Misty, the 2 M's.
I think they're saving Misty/Brock for an appearance toward the end, but only 1 episode due to the lack of time. Yes Brock was in the Arceus specials but I think he'll still appear in a regular episode.

May is probably never going to appear outside the flashback apparently in this episode if you saw the thread I made. May, Max and the entire AG series in general got the least references this series besides the one ep Drake was in

You expect Serena to be in an episode and here's a big zonk and nothing happens. Just a memory.

One person is complaining that why Serena has to appear in a Koharu episode....

'She should had been featured in a Gou episode and be defeated by him, since she is his main love rival'

And yes, it is the same person that wanted a recreation of the escalator scene.

One person is complaining that why Serena has to appear in a Koharu episode....

'She should had been featured in a Gou episode and be defeated by him, since she is his main love rival'

And yes, it is the same person that wanted a recreation of the escalator scene.
I've seen a person saying that the reason why Serena doesn't have her ribbon anymore is because she found someone else.

I've seen a person saying that the reason why Serena doesn't have her ribbon is because she found someone else.
Actually, that does sound appealing.

Only if that other person is willing to reciprocate, we know that Satoshi can't and never felt that way about her.

Though, my position is that she moved on and decided to stop searching for romance for the time being.

I've seen a person saying that the reason why Serena doesn't have her ribbon anymore is because she found someone else.
Is this supposedly a leak or just a theory?

Cause if it's a leak and it turns out true I need to know ahead of time so leave this section of the board for...
...a week?
...a month?
...forever.
...yeah, it'll have to be forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom