• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How would you write a series with Ash's kid as the protagonist?

Reaction score
This is an idea I had for a potential "next gen" fanfic that I have many ideas over but don't know how to end it and thus haven't started planning anything. While this has a slim chance of happening, hypothetically, Ash's kid would be the main protagonist in the anime with Ash helping out and having a supporting character role (who the child's mother is is irrelevant to this discussion). There goal would be to take the gym/island/whatever battle challenge to eventually defeat their father and become a Pokémon Master. If you had this scenario...
How many regions/generations would it cover?
Who would MC's partner Pokémon be? Pikachu or someone else? (market wise I'd probably be Pikachu but we can come up with another Pokémon just for fun)
Would you have a B plot (evil team if necessary)
Companions, if any? If there were no companions, what would you do?
What would Ash/the mother's role be?
What Pokémon would they have? How many?
Would you include Gen 9/later gens past gen 6?
For me, I kind of have two universes. One where the MC is exclusively a flying type trainer with multiple Pokémon from gen 7 while the other has only 6 Pokémon in a universe where only Kanto to Kalos exists. The reason I'm asking is... when would you end the new MC's journey if Pokémon is taking forever? In this situation Ash's journey ended after 7 gens (1) and 6 gens (2). Covering 9+ regions for a fic/show would be tedious and hard...

It would cover all the regions.
We won't have one, but 2 MC's (Twins). The boy starts with Eevee, while the girl starts with Pikachu. They are basically companions as well. The main girl for the girl is to do gyms, while the boy wants to do contests/performances The main rivals are - Child of Misty and Tracey, who starts with Squirtle, Child of Gary, who starts with Bulbusaur and Child of Jessie and James, who starts with Charmander.
Evil team is Team Rocket (Jessie, James and Meowth have since resigned and Giovanni's kid is at the helm).
Ash's role would be to advice his daughter, while the mother would advice the son.

I think you can make a twist of the Gen 3 idea that the players dad is a really strong Gym leader and they make their way to him
Just in this case the dad is Ash and he’s champion level so would have to scale for that

If you don’t want to make a long story I think you can do 2-3 regions to reach that level kinda like how Ash is on “E4” level at the end of battle frontier but just make the mc have a better start than he did so they can be on his level
If long story then you can make it 4-6 regions

Partner wise I think it would have to be a starter that has a chance to go further or have some uniqueness, like the mega starters (Gen 1 & 3), Z moves (Gen 7, Pikachu and Eevee), DMax (Gen 8, P&E), unique forms (Greninja, Decidueye, Typhlosion, Samurott)
Like personally I think Mega’s are the more interesting for story purposes so something like Mudkip works
Also if you have some idea in mind for them like your flying type trainer idea then make sure they pick Charmander or Rowlet

I think B plots helps it from being monotonous but it doesn’t always have to be an evil team I think maybe just a mystery can be enticing like finding a legendary

Companions, should go for the normal three person group route so someone to fill the friend role and mentor role,
Like you can have the kid of Brockx___ be a friend and new character be a mentor

For the mother I think it really depends who you decide the mother is, like if you pick Misty or Iris you can have them be a gym leader obstacle,Dawn or Serena can have the famous mom problem, someone like May could just be a teacher, Lillie a stay at home mom, etc
You can have the mom be pure encouragement like Delia or play a role in their story like Johanna or the XY parents

For Pokémon I think the MC should take a Paul route where he rotated between like 12 Pokémon, the number can adjust but I don’t think having a new team every region like Ash will work as well as it would just be a copy of him and this way it could be more believable that the character is strong as they keep training the same Pokémon

Depending on when your write it gens 1-8 are fine, if you plan to use Gen 9 either be patient with Pokémon and such news or just accept that you will have to keep Fuecoco in its base stage for awhile lol that or go full oc and make fakemon

Oh and to maybe solve the ending question, you already have it, defeating Ash, journey ends by defeating Ash
It's not something vague like being #1 or being a Pokemon Master, therefore they beat Ash the story ends

I think you can make a twist of the Gen 3 idea that the players dad is a really strong Gym leader and they make their way to him
Just in this case the dad is Ash and he’s champion level so would have to scale for that

If you don’t want to make a long story I think you can do 2-3 regions to reach that level kinda like how Ash is on “E4” level at the end of battle frontier but just make the mc have a better start than he did so they can be on his level
If long story then you can make it 4-6 regions

Partner wise I think it would have to be a starter that has a chance to go further or have some uniqueness, like the mega starters (Gen 1 & 3), Z moves (Gen 7, Pikachu and Eevee), DMax (Gen 8, P&E), unique forms (Greninja, Decidueye, Typhlosion, Samurott)
Like personally I think Mega’s are the more interesting for story purposes so something like Mudkip works
Also if you have some idea in mind for them like your flying type trainer idea then make sure they pick Charmander or Rowlet

I think B plots helps it from being monotonous but it doesn’t always have to be an evil team I think maybe just a mystery can be enticing like finding a legendary

Companions, should go for the normal three person group route so someone to fill the friend role and mentor role,
Like you can have the kid of Brockx___ be a friend and new character be a mentor

For the mother I think it really depends who you decide the mother is, like if you pick Misty or Iris you can have them be a gym leader obstacle,Dawn or Serena can have the famous mom problem, someone like May could just be a teacher, Lillie a stay at home mom, etc
You can have the mom be pure encouragement like Delia or play a role in their story like Johanna or the XY parents

For Pokémon I think the MC should take a Paul route where he rotated between like 12 Pokémon, the number can adjust but I don’t think having a new team every region like Ash will work as well as it would just be a copy of him and this way it could be more believable that the character is strong as they keep training the same Pokémon

Depending on when your write it gens 1-8 are fine, if you plan to use Gen 9 either be patient with Pokémon and such news or just accept that you will have to keep Fuecoco in its base stage for awhile lol that or go full oc and make fakemon

Oh and to maybe solve the ending question, you already have it, defeating Ash, journey ends by defeating Ash
It's not something vague like being #1 or being a Pokemon Master, therefore they beat Ash the story ends
Thanks!
Also I think you know who the mother will be lol

I think there'd be some decent room with this sort of setup to introduce a lot of human drama into the show. Maybe Ash himself is something of an absentee father, only coming home for a few days at a time before jetting off again to continue his Pokémon journey. Heck, maybe Ash's kid doesn't particularly want to be a trainer, giving the show an opportunity to expand the Pokémon franchise further. I could totally go for a slice-of-life anime that basically uses the Pokémon universe as window-dressing, with Ash's child suffering under the weight of expectations, desperate to get out of their father's shadow, and just wanting to be accepted for who they are as a person rather than who they happen to be related to.

That basic idea worked for Boruto, and I think it could work well for Pokémon too.

Ash and Serena. The kid of the two as the new hero who has already made a journey through 8 regions. Unfortunately he hasn't won the league so far and continues to travel. In the 9th region the journey continue.

I think there'd be some decent room with this sort of setup to introduce a lot of human drama into the show. Maybe Ash himself is something of an absentee father, only coming home for a few days at a time before jetting off again to continue his Pokémon journey. Heck, maybe Ash's kid doesn't particularly want to be a trainer, giving the show an opportunity to expand the Pokémon franchise further. I could totally go for a slice-of-life anime that basically uses the Pokémon universe as window-dressing, with Ash's child suffering under the weight of expectations, desperate to get out of their father's shadow, and just wanting to be accepted for who they are as a person rather than who they happen to be related to.

That basic idea worked for Boruto, and I think it could work well for Pokémon too.
I don’t think Ash would be like that because he wouldn’t want to be like his own father. No thanks. I feel like Ash would be the best dad ever

Let's go completely unrealistic yet potentially hilarious.

This isn't just 'Ash the perfect dad' and certainly not 'bum Ash' or 'busy Ash' or whatever. It isn't just one ship...its a ton of them!

Ash left his spawn everywhere! The series follows a seemingly endless horde of Ash children in a strange yet bizarrely functional family unit that is everywhere and ever expanding.

Angst is minimal, devastation to local food supplies whenever they gather is maximum.

I'd make Ash the father of triplets; 2 girls and 1 boy.

I'd place it in generation 9 which would be right after the journeys series ends.

Who would MC's partner Pokémon be? Pikachu or someone else? (market wise I'd probably be Pikachu but we can come up with another Pokémon just for fun)
Sprigatito, Fuecoco, and Quaxly. Fuecoco would be the boy's and the other two would go to the girls.

I probably would only use the evil team as they would be handled in the respective game (if any). I don't want a TR following the main cast all the time.

The triplets are all traveling together so they are each others companions.

Ash would guide the triplets in whatever their goal is. I imagine all would want to battle gyms to some extent (if there are any in SV), though I could see one caring more than the other two. Ash would probably reside somewhere in the new region to give them battling advise, help them with training if they need it, and anything else they need.

As for the mother, I personally don't see Ash as the settling down and marrying type, though I can easily see him becoming a father. Maybe that sounds crazy, but I can't envision a wife for Ash. If I were seriously writing a script for a hypothetical series, I'd say that at some point a horrible incident in Pallet Town left 3 young triplets orphaned and Ash happened to be present at the disaster. Ash, feeling sorry for the children, would decide to adopt them. Also, just to reference Ash growing with a single parent, I can only see Ash parenting his triplets alone. TLDR: The mother has no role since she doesn't exist.

Since I don't know any new Pokemon minus the starters, I can't answer this yet. Maybe I'll come back to this after SV are out. I'd give them all full teams.

This is only for Gen 9 as I'm placing this after the current show.

Ash marries... Gee, I sure do wonder who, and they have a child. MC is a girl modelled after Leaf/Green just like Ash was modelled after Red. And she just goes to the Gen 9 region on a classic Gym quest, simple as that.
Obviously she has to have a Pikachu because Marketing.

I would have it be 3 triplets representing the first 3 eeveetutions. As of Ash never fully completed his dream, so his kids would continue the job for him. As the kids would be the kid of probably Ash and Serena because of the end of the series. The kids could be 2 girls 1 boy since a lot of the trios had been 1 girl 2 boys. The girls could have a jolteon and a flareon which usually are male, the boy would had have a vaporeon due to most people assuming it female. Most of the girls are seen as rude and or bossy, and the boy are seen as dumb or unaware, so what I would do is to change the rolls of them so it’s not like almost everything else. They would travel the 9th gen due to it being the closest to this day as it would not make much sense to be back in Legends Arceus. I would personally have them meet the starters at first and travel the region with 2 more people, respectively a boy and a girl that has the same personality alike misty.

This is a fun question to think about. Although I would prefer to see Ash age slowly instead and gradually become an adult and develop feelings for the girl he will have said child with overtime.

I think the kid's personality will depend on the mother.

Ash + Serena
I think they would end up having a daughter who looks like Serena but has a similar goal to Ash. Perhaps she goes through a similar arc to Hop's in ShSw and strives to challenge her father for the title of the champion. But she still has a girly side and likes fashion and baking.

Her starter Pokemon would be a Pichu.

Ash + Dawn
I think they would have a son but he wants to do both contests and challenge gyms which causes him some trouble when he is forced to choose. Perhaps he even has a depression arc but meets Wallace who is his idol and is encouraged to never give up on his dreams. His personality is similar to Piplup, perhaps even Bede? Perhaps he struggles with embracing his feminine side.

His starter Pokemon would be something cute like a Skitty to contrast with his rude personality.

Ash + Misty
They have a daughter who is a tough tomboy who wants to take over the gym. Misty is an overprotective mother because she needs to fill the void that Togepi left (lol) which gets on her daughter's nerves. Misty's sisters tries to convince her to do the synchronized swimming with them and at first she hates it but then she suddenly loves it and starts to rethink her options. Ash is a bit clueless but supports her.

Her starter is a Feebas. It evolves after she finds out what she wants to do in life (similar to Bianca in the BW games).

Ash + May
They have a son with a similar personality to Ruby in the Pokémon Adventures manga. He starts out doing contests but eventually changes his mind after some dramatic plot twist and wants to take over Norman's gym after he retires which causes conflict with Max who overreacts and challenges him to a battle.

His starter is a Ralts. It evolves into a Gardevoir and has a rivalry with Max's Gallade (which can Mega evolve).

Ash + Iris
They have a daughter with a girly personality (she looks similar to Serena's dark skinned counterpart in the games) who is tired of her battle obsessed parents since they are both champions. Her dream is to open up an ice cream parlor and do Pokémon musicals but something terrible happens to her parents (the league is attacked like at the end of XY?) and she is forced to take action.

Her starter is a Vanillite (ironic choice since Iris hates ice-types).

Ash + Lillie
They have a son who looks similar to the male SM protagonist's blonde counterpart. He starts out confident like his father but then Alola gets attacked by Guzzlord and he gets separated from his parents. He starts to have panic attacks like Lillie and becomes scared of Pokémon but struggles to show vulnerability (similar to Ash in that XY episode after he lost at the gym).

His starter is a Froakie. He eventually masters the bond phenomenon and can transform it into Ash-Greninja after he has character development. There is a sub plot with his grandfather Mohn who tries to make up for being an absent dad by being supportive of his grandson.

I have a tentative idea with a child of Dawn & Ash. Their youngest daughter has inherited aura from Ash but he's continuing his journey (mind you this was before he won Alola and Alola was even a thing) and Dawn is still trying to be a coordinator. The child is named Sky (Hoshi in Japanese according to google translate) and she's 12 years old when she starts her journey, being Professor Elm's assistant.

In my head for this character, Ash Ketchum abandoned Dawn and his children to pursue his dream as a Pokemon Master, kind of like his father supposedly did according to the dubbed anime. Dawn ends up moving to Kanto with her children to pursue contests in Kanto and achieve her dream of being Top Coordinator like her mother. She leaves the children with Delia who is not impressed with her son and daughter-in-law leaving and not growing up. When their uncle Diamond comes to Kanto after hearing that his sister gave up her children, he offers to take the children, but only Sky moves with her uncle at eight. She attends trainer school to get her pokemon license and learn about pokemon, learing about contests from her grandmother (Dawn's mother) and battling from her uncle Diamond, living in Johto from them on. Her older brother, Deimos is already a trainer, traveling with the child of James and Jessebelle. Sky chooses Cyndaquil as her partner though starts out in Kanto region.

She meets Shion Harrison (son of Brock & Misty) who inherited psychic ability from his father. Shion is 14 and lives in Kanto, choosing a Charmander as his partner. He grew up much like Sky, not really spending time with his aunts' on his mom's side as his parents took over their careers as Gym Leaders so he spent a lot of time in Kanto under the care of Professor Oak. Together, these abandoned children would begin their pokemon journeys with the goal of facing their parents who abandoned them, starting with Brock in the Pewter Gym.

Shion's Team:

Chimchar
Caterpie
Pichu
Bulbasaur

Sky's Team:
Cyndaquil
Pidgey
Rattata
Squirtle

I don't know to be honest. The entire thing was based on an idea I had for a discord 1x1 rp that died after we had caught our squirtle and bulbasaur respectively in Viridian Forest (well found them injured and abandoned). At least Kanto.

Chimchar for Shion & Cyndaquil for Sky

Not sure, we never got that far

Just them

Dawn is an absent mother as Ash would be an absent father like his father before him. Neither Delialah nor Johanna are impressed with their children not growing up and behaving like adults.

Shion would end up specializing in fire and psychic types while Sky would be a mix but might prefer dark and poison or dark and dragon

Not sure

I have a tentative idea with a child of Dawn & Ash. Their youngest daughter has inherited aura from Ash but he's continuing his journey (mind you this was before he won Alola and Alola was even a thing) and Dawn is still trying to be a coordinator. The child is named Sky (Hoshi in Japanese according to google translate) and she's 12 years old when she starts her journey, being Professor Elm's assistant.

In my head for this character, Ash Ketchum abandoned Dawn and his children to pursue his dream as a Pokemon Master, kind of like his father supposedly did according to the dubbed anime. Dawn ends up moving to Kanto with her children to pursue contests in Kanto and achieve her dream of being Top Coordinator like her mother. She leaves the children with Delia who is not impressed with her son and daughter-in-law leaving and not growing up. When their uncle Diamond comes to Kanto after hearing that his sister gave up her children, he offers to take the children, but only Sky moves with her uncle at eight. She attends trainer school to get her pokemon license and learn about pokemon, learing about contests from her grandmother (Dawn's mother) and battling from her uncle Diamond, living in Johto from them on. Her older brother, Deimos is already a trainer, traveling with the child of James and Jessebelle. Sky chooses Cyndaquil as her partner though starts out in Kanto region.

She meets Shion Harrison (son of Brock & Misty) who inherited psychic ability from his father. Shion is 14 and lives in Kanto, choosing a Charmander as his partner. He grew up much like Sky, not really spending time with his aunts' on his mom's side as his parents took over their careers as Gym Leaders so he spent a lot of time in Kanto under the care of Professor Oak. Together, these abandoned children would begin their pokemon journeys with the goal of facing their parents who abandoned them, starting with Brock in the Pewter Gym.

Shion's Team:

Chimchar
Caterpie
Pichu
Bulbasaur

Sky's Team:
Cyndaquil
Pidgey
Rattata
Squirtle

I don't know to be honest. The entire thing was based on an idea I had for a discord 1x1 rp that died after we had caught our squirtle and bulbasaur respectively in Viridian Forest (well found them injured and abandoned). At least Kanto.

Chimchar for Shion & Cyndaquil for Sky

Not sure, we never got that far

Just them

Dawn is an absent mother as Ash would be an absent father like his father before him. Neither Delialah nor Johanna are impressed with their children not growing up and behaving like adults.

Shion would end up specializing in fire and psychic types while Sky would be a mix but might prefer dark and poison or dark and dragon

Not sure
BOOO FOR ASH LEAVING HIS CHILDREN

I would also have Ash's child - let's call them Ashley for now - explore whether they want to be like their father or not, although because it's a children's show it needs to be kept simple and I wouldn't make it dark. Tearjerking, heartwarming, and dramatic is fine, but horrifying doesn't suit the Pokémon anime well.

Ashley would be presented with their starter in the first episode by whichever professor is relevant for the generation. They're presented with one of the Pikachu clones, like Dedenne or Emolga, to underline how they're "similar but different" to their father. Unlike Pikachu, though, their new starter is really shy, and they need to take a gentle approach to befriend it.

Ash's past friends recognise them as Ash's child and compare the two, which quickly dampens Ashley's confidence because they knows Pikaclone is too shy to fight.

Ashley & Pikaclone become stronger as they realise there is more than one way to be a trainer - you don't need to be bold and daring, it's ok to be calmer and softer too. Their confidence builds higher and higher as they win gym badges and tournaments.

Ash himself would mostly appear in video calls at big moments, offering advice and encouragement to Ashley when they need it. There could even be a moment where he gives Ashley his approval for becoming so strong, and father and child reaffirm their bond.

I would also have Ash's child - let's call them Ashley for now - explore whether they want to be like their father or not, although because it's a children's show it needs to be kept simple and I wouldn't make it dark. Tearjerking, heartwarming, and dramatic is fine, but horrifying doesn't suit the Pokémon anime well.

Ashley would be presented with their starter in the first episode by whichever professor is relevant for the generation. They're presented with one of the Pikachu clones, like Dedenne or Emolga, to underline how they're "similar but different" to their father. Unlike Pikachu, though, their new starter is really shy, and they need to take a gentle approach to befriend it.

Ash's past friends recognise them as Ash's child and compare the two, which quickly dampens Ashley's confidence because they knows Pikaclone is too shy to fight.

Ashley & Pikaclone become stronger as they realise there is more than one way to be a trainer - you don't need to be bold and daring, it's ok to be calmer and softer too. Their confidence builds higher and higher as they win gym badges and tournaments.

Ash himself would mostly appear in video calls at big moments, offering advice and encouragement to Ashley when they need it. There could even be a moment where he gives Ashley his approval for becoming so strong, and father and child reaffirm their bond.
Ok who is the mom?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom