• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Windy Hollow

For some reason I kinda worry that my blog's vibe gives off the impression that its only for me to talk? Maybe just because I haven't done a good job getting to know a lot of people so they don't want to hang out here, but I look at a lot of the other similar-ish (but more active) blogs and its like, they constantly have friends hanging out with them there. I don't really have a lot of friends here or anywhere and definitely not as close with people here as everyone else seems to be, so I guess its probably just because everyone just kinda wants to hang out with the people they know. I'm probably overthinking, I doubt I've done anything to make the blog seem unwelcoming reasonably speaking... though maybe I've made myself seem unwelcoming elsewhere on the forums? Maybe I'm just overthinking and if I'd actually branch out and talk to people outside of vague F&G interactions I'd have more friends.

Why is people-ing so confusing?

(Please don't feel like I'm trying to guilt you into talking to me. You are under no obligation to do so. I just had to say some at least some part of this feeling somewhere.)

I haven't gotten to know you yet Dawning, but I'd love to! And no, I'm not here cause I feel obligated. Hope you don't mind this train passing through! I understand the feeling, but I can tell you're a wonderful person who just walks their own path, and I admire that. I doubt it's that you're unwelcoming at all. I'm here for you!

I haven't gotten to know you yet Dawning, but I'd love to! And no, I'm not here cause I feel obligated. Hope you don't mind this train passing through! I understand the feeling, but I can tell you're a wonderful person who just walks their own path, and I admire that. I doubt it's that you're unwelcoming at all. I'm here for you!
Hey Blanc, welcome to the Windy Hollow! I'm not sure what there are for train stations in the Hollow, but I'm sure we can find somewhere for you to stop the train whenever you feel like stopping by.
I'm not sure how accurate your description of me is, but thanks! I appreciate the compliment. You seem pretty cool as well, and I'd be glad to get to know you!

For some reason I kinda worry that my blog's vibe gives off the impression that its only for me to talk? Maybe just because I haven't done a good job getting to know a lot of people so they don't want to hang out here, but I look at a lot of the other similar-ish (but more active) blogs and its like, they constantly have friends hanging out with them there. I don't really have a lot of friends here or anywhere and definitely not as close with people here as everyone else seems to be, so I guess its probably just because everyone just kinda wants to hang out with the people they know. I'm probably overthinking, I doubt I've done anything to make the blog seem unwelcoming reasonably speaking... though maybe I've made myself seem unwelcoming elsewhere on the forums? Maybe I'm just overthinking and if I'd actually branch out and talk to people outside of vague F&G interactions I'd have more friends.

Why is people-ing so confusing?

(Please don't feel like I'm trying to guilt you into talking to me. You are under no obligation to do so. I just had to say some at least some part of this feeling somewhere.)
bonk!!

sorry dawning! I did kinda think that it was more of a space for you to post reviews of stuff you like, and for that, I'm sorry about that!!
but as for thinking you're unwelcoming...I don't think that's true!! I'll make more of an effort to talk with you in the future~

How's today been!? Are you doing any plays soon?

bonk!!

sorry dawning! I did kinda think that it was more of a space for you to post reviews of stuff you like, and for that, I'm sorry about that!!
but as for thinking you're unwelcoming...I don't think that's true!! I'll make more of an effort to talk with you in the future~

How's today been!? Are you doing any plays soon?
Nah, it's fine, I can see how you'd get that impression.

Today's been kinda meh, not feeling too great... Might be doing a play in early June? A nearby town is gonna be doing a production of Peter Pan. How have you been doing?

Today's been kinda meh, not feeling too great... Might be doing a play in early June? A nearby town is gonna be doing a production of Peter Pan. How have you been doing?
Fun!! Good luck with that, do you wanna try to go for the main role!?

Doing well! Currently trying to do schoolwork, I have tennis in 20 minutes, and uhhhhh that's about it! Kinda busy because school is almost over~

Fun!! Good luck with that, do you wanna try to go for the main role!?

Doing well! Currently trying to do schoolwork, I have tennis in 20 minutes, and uhhhhh that's about it! Kinda busy because school is almost over~
I'm hoping to get a major part, but I'm not counting on it or anything. Probably end up as a background pirate or Lost Boy, maaaybe like Smee if I'm lucky.

Yeah school always gets really busy towards the end of the year, I feel that. How's tennis been going?

I will talk to you and you cannot stop me!

How are you dawning? It's been a bit since we talked outside of fun and games. Do you have anything you're working on currently?
Hi Mari! I'm doing mostly alright this evening. I've been slowly plugging away at that comic I posted a page of a while ago which reminds me that I never posted the next pages, getting the first page drawn up in digital. How you doing?

I'm doing pretty good, I'm trying to figure out some stuff before the summer! Also, I'm excited to see the comic!
Glad to hear you're well! I saw your post in your blog about that; hope you get that all figured out in time, but either way I'm sure your summer will be great!
Probably don't hold your breath over the comic. I'll see about getting the sketched out versions of the next couple pages up soon, but digital art has always been pretty slow going for me so I make no promises about the timeframe except "eventually".

digital art has always been pretty slow going for me so I make no promises about the timeframe except "eventually".
I feel that so hard, LOL, but I’m also still really excited to see it!! I want to see lots more art around here from cool people like you! I’ve always wanted to make a comic but I don’t have the patience… I admire you!

I feel that so hard, LOL, but I’m also still really excited to see it!! I want to see lots more art around here from cool people like you! I’ve always wanted to make a comic but I don’t have the patience… I admire you!
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Patience and time are definitely huuge when it comes to comics... but maybe if you wanted to get started you could try with like, some short 3-5-ish panel self-contained comic strips? That'd probably be a good way to practice without committing to something super time consuming (I can't speak for it though, I've never tried). Then work your way into bigger comics from there.

Gonna be leaving in a few hours to spend the weekend in the cities for a school event, don't expect to see too much of me these next couple days. Not that I'm around a whole ton as of late anyway, but. I absolutely despise spending time in the cities because it's so crowded and so noisy but I'm thinking the event will be fun so hopefully that makes up for it.

Add "too much goddamn dust" to my list of gripes with the cities. I swear every time I've stepped outside my eyes have been absolutely bombarded.
Dust!? Yikes, Minnesota is crazy!!
Gonna be leaving in a few hours to spend the weekend in the cities for a school event, don't expect to see too much of me these next couple days. Not that I'm around a whole ton as of late anyway, but. I absolutely despise spending time in the cities because it's so crowded and so noisy but I'm thinking the event will be fun so hopefully that makes up for it.
And have fun!! I bet the event will be great~

Dust!? Yikes, Minnesota is crazy!!
It's not like a dust storm or anything (I don't think anyway-- I've never heard of those here), just a whole bunch of particles of stuff that I assume is a product of urban shit that we don't get in the small town I live in.

have fun!! I bet the event will be great~
It was loads of fun! Really glad I went despite how much I hate being in the cities! Gonna be spending tonight in a hotel because its late and spending a bunch of tomorrow on the trip home which is a bit less fun though...

I'm really starting to appreciate how incredibly little functional difference there is between usage of "this" and "that", at least in most contexts.
"That is an old chair." vs "This is an old chair."
Fun fact absolutely nothing about the chair in question changes. The sentences do not imply literally anything different whatsoever.
Unrelatedly, if anyone has any tips for keeping straight which of あの/この/その translate to "this" and which ones translate to "that" it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm really starting to appreciate how incredibly little functional difference there is between usage of "this" and "that", at least in most contexts.
"That is an old chair." vs "This is an old chair."
Fun fact absolutely nothing about the chair in question changes. The sentences do not imply literally anything different whatsoever.
Lmao uh I guess there isn't any speaker/listener distinction like in Japanese!! Whoa~
Unrelatedly, if anyone has any tips for keeping straight which of あの/この/その translate to "this" and which ones translate to "that" it would be much appreciated.
OK so I struggled with this for a WHILE but!! I have a really good tip now actually.

あの, and anything that starts with あ (like あれ、あそこ、ああいう) is talking about something distant from both the speaker and listener! This could be a physical object or an idea expressed by...someone or something that's not the listener or speaker! Translations for those three would be (that thing way over there, way over there, and "things like that").

その, and anything that starts with そ (like それ、そこ、そういう) is talking about something distant from the speaker, but not the listener! This could be a physical object or an idea expressed by the listener, that kinda thing! Translations for those three would be (that thing (of yours), over there (by you), and "things like that" (that you say)).

この, and anything that starts with こ (like これ、ここ、こういう) is talking about something distant from the listener, but not the speaker! This could be a physical object or an idea expressed by the speaker! So like maybe if you're introducing a topic or talking about something for the first time. Translations for those three would be (this thing (of mine), "here", and "things like this" (that I say)).

And don't worry if you mess them up! It's sometimes hard to follow that kinda thing in conversation but you'll get better with practice! We all do~! And I'm sure people will understand either waaaaay~

OK so I struggled with this for a WHILE but!! I have a really good tip now actually.
Glad I'm not the only one... Thanks for the explanation! I think that'll help me a lot!

Lmao uh I guess there isn't any speaker
Yeah not really. I guess I might gesture at the chair slightly differently with the sentences but ultimately the meaning is exactly the same.

Ugh. I have a handful of anime marked as "I want to watch this soon" and I'm looking at them and saying to myself "I don't feel like watching any of these at the moment". I know I feel like watching some sort of anime, but I cannot seem to figure out what it is I feel like watching, and it's kinda been like this for a few days. Getting kinda sick of staring at the screen and scrolling through only to not come up with anything.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom