• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SPOILERS: Masters Eight Discussion/Speculation Thread

Hmm...assuming things go normally the Master Class would follow a Best 8 formula which means Ash would need to face 3 opponents and beat them in elimination matches to be crowned the victor.

The matches themselves could be anything since we saw during the original Leon vs Lance that it was only a 1 vs 1 battle to be deemed the PWC Champion. I'd much prefer them to be 3 vs 3 at the least though.

As for who is in the Master Class, we have I believe six confirmed now? Still hoping for best bae Diantha to be included. :bulbaLove:

My thinking with Ash and Paul being in Master's 8 is a very literal interpretation of Cynthia stating they would both enter the Champion League 'soon.' The PWC's Master Class being the "Champion League" featuring, mostly, regional champions with the exceptions being Raihan and Paul. The other six being:
1. Lance (Kanto, Johto)
2. Steven (Hoenn)
3. Cynthia (Sinnoh)
4. Diantha (Kalos)
5. Ash (Alola) - replacing Flint at #8
6. Leon (Galar)

Gen V being left out since Ash already beat Iris, the current champion. This is probably too 'on the nose,' and it won't be what we get.

If that silhouette from JN065 means anything still, then Ash most likely has 3 more battles with 3 unknown opponents before making it to master class. Though maybe Paul could reasonably be one of the unknown figures.

If that silhouette from JN065 means anything still, then Ash most likely has 3 more battles with 3 unknown opponents before making it to master class. Though maybe Paul could reasonably be one of the unknown figures.

At this point, there is no more time for that, especially taking in mind we are most likely getting a break of 2 or 3 weeks in the summer + Ash is currently 14th, so its unrealistic to think he has 3 fights left in Ultra class. 2 is more realistic, with Paul being the last one most likely.

I don't know who Ash will replace but this is my guess for who will be there when Ash gets there

And if to rank them
1. Leon
2. Lance
3. Wallace
4. Cynthia
5. Iris
6. Raihan
7. Ash
8. Flint

I can see someone like Paul being there instead of a Flint or Wallace as well but idk

Attachments

• 0611FFAF-0518-4977-A5C2-EA1AC6E6A3F3.jpeg
    0611FFAF-0518-4977-A5C2-EA1AC6E6A3F3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
Yup.

I doubt Alain in in the WCS. It would make more sense for him to battle Ash than be involved in Project Mew.
I said intro, not opening. The part that introduces Ash and Goh's dreams every ep.

Prediction 1 (Paul gets in and Iris appears in something unrelated)
Round 1-3vs3
Ash vs Raihan-Ash wins with Gengar, Sirfetch'd and Dragonite
Cynthia vs Paul-Paul wins, to show how strong he has become
Diantha vs Lance-Diantha wins. I wanted to have Diantha vs Steven so both could use Megas, but that would lead to Lance vs Leon again.
Leon vs Steven-Leon wins

Round 2-6vs6
Ash vs Paul-Ash wins
Leon vs Diantha-Leon wins

Prediction 2 (Iris gets in and Paul is an Hyper Class opponent)
Round 1-3vs3
Ash vs Raihan-Ash wins with Gengar, Sirfetch'd and Dragonite
Cynthia vs Lance-Cynthia wins
Diantha vs Iris-Diantha wins. I don't really think Cynthia/Iris interactions from BW were that memorable for them to battle again.
Leon vs Steven-Leon wins

Round 2-6vs6
Ash vs Cynthia-Ash wins
Leon vs Diantha-Leon wins

If Paul is in Master Class Ash won't be battling him so there's no point to bring him back then. He's very likely the final Hyper Class battle.

If Paul is in Master Class Ash won't be battling him so there's no point to bring him back then. He's very likely the final Hyper Class battle.
Yeah I agree unless Ash battles every master class opponent he shouldn't battle Paul in the master class as that would “take away” from other battles like Ash vs Cynthia

But the boys do look good here and wouldn't mind them battling in Hyper or just not non PWC

Attachments

• 822143FB-9056-4B40-A336-A92E426CB393.jpeg
    822143FB-9056-4B40-A336-A92E426CB393.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
If Ash only battles 3 of then it'll obviously be Alan, Cynthia and then Leon. If he somehow battles more than Lance will probably be included.

Iris might get to defeat one person before she inevitably goes down, maybe they'll give her the honor of beating Lance, who knows.

Yeah, assuming this is a standard elimination--and I'm not sure there's time for much else--Ash is pretty much 99.9% battling Cynthia, Alain, and Leon. I'm not sure in which order other than Leon in the finals but I suspect Alain first. Greninja may or may not come back.

Other than that...I have a gut feeling Iris loses in round one.
If Alain is round two I can see him battling Steven in round one.

Now that we know MC members, good time to resurrect this thread, don't you agree?

So we have
1. Leon
2. Cynthia
3. Steven
4. Lance
5. Diantha
6. Alain
7. Iris
8. Ash

I would not be referencing my Blueprint Thread much, since the aim of that post was different kind of speculation.
But I will pull off some ideas from there.

Frankly, seeing those names, I partially hope that we will not have tournament tree system, although round-robin is also very unlikely and will be difficult to follow.
The reason why tournament tree is little bit souring is, that with these names and in order to make at least some seeding sense (no Leon vs Cynthia in 1. round), narratively it is almost settled.

Since TOP seeded guys should match up against lower 5-8 and we almost certainly know Leon vs Ash is finals, then almost only one path emerges.

Ash vs Cynthia (Leon is off limits, this match is 15 years expected, more logical and desired than Lance or Steven)
Alain vs Steven (bros from Mega Evolution specials, it almost begs to finish Mega Charizard X vs Mega Metagross)
Iris vs Lance (with her goal to become strongest Dragon Master, the most logical choice)
Diantha vs Leon (Leon's quaterfinal challenger would always be the least intersting, because he will obviously win, but Diantha makes reasonable challange with her speedy mind-controlled Mega Gardevoir)

Ash vs Alain (like really, that would be subverting expectations of century not to have them compete again now)
Iris vs Leon (I have my problems with Iris being here, despite in fact quite liking her character! But OK, since we are hyping her, this would provide emotional engagement in other semifinals. And there is little to be gained by having Lance defeat her and then be defeated by Leon again)

Almost anything else is hard to justify by logic or narrative.
On the other hand, if that is the case, I will be definitely looking forward to almost any match, despite its outcome being rather obviously telegraphed.

One bummer though, if I am not mistaken, that would mean we will not see Lance to win one big match on-screen in whole 25 years of Anime. That makes me sad.

Iris jobbing is only a slightly better outcome than taking up episodes for a rematch with Ash. Makes her return completely pointless, and I would only think about how her spot should've gone to someone else.

Sorry @FinnishPokéFan92 , I remembered you started older thread about pretty much same topic and resurrected it with this post minutes ago, now we have duplicity.
In case we continue here, I will post it here too.

So we have
1. Leon
2. Cynthia
3. Steven
4. Lance
5. Diantha
6. Alain
7. Iris
8. Ash

I would not be referencing my Blueprint Thread much, since the aim of that post was different kind of speculation.
But I will pull off some ideas from there.

Frankly, seeing those names, I partially hope that we will not have tournament tree system, although round-robin is also very unlikely and will be difficult to follow.
The reason why tournament tree is little bit souring is, that with these names and in order to make at least some seeding sense (no Leon vs Cynthia in 1. round), narratively it is almost settled.

Since TOP seeded guys should match up against lower 5-8 and we almost certainly know Leon vs Ash is finals, then almost only one path emerges.

Ash vs Cynthia (Leon is off limits, this match is 15 years expected, more logical and desired than Lance or Steven)
Alain vs Steven (bros from Mega Evolution specials, it almost begs to finish Mega Charizard X vs Mega Metagross)
Iris vs Lance (with her goal to become strongest Dragon Master, the most logical choice)
Diantha vs Leon (Leon's quaterfinal challenger would always be the least intersting, because he will obviously win, but Diantha makes reasonable challange with her speedy mind-controlled Mega Gardevoir)

Ash vs Alain (like really, that would be subverting expectations of century not to have them compete again now)
Iris vs Leon (I have my problems with Iris being here, despite in fact quite liking her character! But OK, since we are hyping her, this would provide emotional engagement in other semifinals. And there is little to be gained by having Lance defeat her and then be defeated by Leon again)

Almost anything else is hard to justify by logic or narrative.
On the other hand, if that is the case, I will be definitely looking forward to almost any match, despite its outcome being rather obviously telegraphed.

One bummer though, if I am not mistaken, that would mean we will not see Lance to win one big match on-screen in whole 25 years of Anime. That makes me sad.

Iris jobbing is only a slightly better outcome than taking up episodes for a rematch with Ash. Makes her return completely pointless, and I would only think about how her spot should've gone to someone else.
Making it to the top 8 is still a huge prestige. They did Ash/Iris already so they didn't have to waste a slot on it in the final Masters 8. Sure Iris will go down, but at least if she puts up a good fight before inevitably losing to someone that's still a great final moment for her character.

Also I get the feeling any champion/champion only fight will be mostly off-screened to save time, so it doesn't really matter who the extra slots would have went to.

I’m fully anticipating most, or all, of Ash’s friends to watch the Masters Eight matches in person. Ash already told Serena that he’s participating, Clemont and Bonnie watched the Drasna match, and Cilan would have every reason to attend considering both Ash and Iris are in the Masters Eight. Considering how much publicity the Masters Eight seems to get in-universe, I’m sure a lot of Ash’s friends would already be aware of his success. I really hope it happens.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom